Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix

Author
gtrpastor
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
2015/04/17 23:49:49 (permalink)

Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix

We've continued to work on the mix for this song. We thank those who have listened to past mixes and provided critique to help us improve it. We hope that anyone who listens will enjoy it. Thanks in advance for listening and commenting--especially if you've done so on previous mixes.

Edit: Reece worked on the drums and a new mix has been posted. Thanks again for listening and/or commenting:

https://soundcloud.com/scandalous-grace-band/someday-scandalous-grace

© 2015 Scandalous Grace
Sean Peifer (gtrpastor) - Lead Vocals, Lead & Rhythm Guitar, Acoustic Guitar
Michael Hansen (makeshift) - Backing Vocals, Bass Guitar, Lead & Rhythm Guitar
Reece Bain (beagle) - Backing Vocals, Keyboards, Drum Programming
post edited by gtrpastor - 2015/05/04 21:18:20

11 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/18 07:38:52 (permalink)
    Well I found that to be a very balanced mix, everything sounds like it is in the right place with clear and distinct parts easily hear and pick out.

Nice one chaps, thanks for sharing  

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    gtrpastor
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/18 11:22:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Wookie. A lot of credit goes to Mike and Reece for helping in the balancing. I learned a lot from them on this mix. Thanks for listening and commenting.
    - Sean
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/19 20:25:07 (permalink)
    This must be the first time I've heard this song, and I really did it!  Sean, your vocals and guitar work are spot on, in fact, everyone's contribution gels quite well.  This could be a big crossover hit, because I think it has wide appeal.  Kudos to all of you!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/19 20:35:58 (permalink)
    Sean, Yes, very nicely put together with good dynamics and balance and sound good all the way around. Keep up the nice work and hope everyone enjoyed there part in the nicely praising work.

Peace and Blessings to all, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    gtrpastor
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/19 22:12:34 (permalink)
    Lynn, thanks for taking the time to listen. Thanks, too, for the nice comments. It would be great if the song did have a wide appeal--if a lot of people enjoyed it and could even relate to it. Everyone contributed a great deal to this recording--especially from the production end of things. Mike and Reece did a lot to help fix problems and to help me know how to make it sound better. 

theguitarplayer - Thank you for listening and for your observations. It's good to hear these things after working such a long time and putting forth a lot of effort. I think that Reece and Mike did enjoy their roles in this. In fact, they're the ones who encouraged me to do this song as a group (it's a remake of something I did earlier--though this version is much better because of their involvement). And they encouraged me to stick with the project. 
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/04/20 09:15:43 (permalink)
    Wookie, Lynn, John,

Thank you all for listening and commenting on this song.  The moment I heard this song up on Sean's SC site, I was urging him to consider it as a rework for a "band"song.  This one was really fun to contribute too.  In particular, I love the interplay between the Bass and the Electric Guitar at the beginning of the song, and then how they come together on that little riff.  

Also of note and something that I really enjoyed on this song....Sean is an excellent Lead Guitar player and he could have easily handled the solo on his own.  He suggested that he and I try trading off solo's on this song.  He gave me the first part and he finished up the solos section with his excellent playing.  I thought this worked pretty well because of the differences in our styles.  I am a little more mellow and bendy and Sean can move his fingers much faster than I can, so it seemed a perfect fit for him to follow up and finish out the solo.  

Lynn, I agree with you wholeheartedly about the crossover-ness of this song.  It was one of the elements that first attracted me to the song.  It's also just an excellently written song, by Sean.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    gtrpastor
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/05/04 21:15:35 (permalink)
    Reece (Beagle) has been working on the drums for this song and a new mix has been posted at the following link:

https://soundcloud.com/sc...meday-scandalous-grace

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and/or comment. We really appreciate it.

- Sean
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/05/05 08:03:40 (permalink)
    Just listening on computer speakers this sounds good.  Nice remix.

I'll listen later on the lappy with cans.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    gtrpastor
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/05/05 23:10:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening and commenting Herb. I appreciate your input.
    - Sean
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/05/06 09:54:53 (permalink)
    OK... on the cans....

You should consider having that opening guitar on both sides.

Musically, you hit your stride as a band at the pre-chorus ( 37 seconds into the song) and it rocks from that point on. Nothing's wrong with the first 37 seconds other than the guitar panned in the intro.... it's just that the verse is put into proper context ... and when you hit the PC & the Ch it's like the straightaway on the race track.....open it up and let the ponies run....

At 3:13 where you break it down, I would probably have dropped the drums out and finished it acoustically.

Small nits....and certainly my opinion

Very nice work.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Someday (Scandalous Grace) - New Mix 2015/05/07 07:05:13 (permalink)
    Thank you Herb, we appreciate the feedback!

we had been having problems with what sounded like timing issues, but after working hard on the guitars to make sure they were aligned we still were having problems, so I replaced almost all of the drums.  the drums weren't out of time, but the rhythms clashed with the guitar rhythms so they sounded out of time with each other.  this mix solved that.

I want to thank everyone who has listened and commented and I especially want to thank Sean (gtrpastor) and Mike (Makeshift) for their hard work on this song.  it's been a long road on this one!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1