Sort Lanes by Clip Background Color

Author
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
2015/05/06 07:26:52 (permalink)

Sort Lanes by Clip Background Color

I know this isn't important for many, but let me request it anyway.

The screenshot below shows lots of Take lanes in a vocal track. When you compare takes in a particular section (e.g. verse) and determin which take is the best, you might use the black text box embedded in each lane's header. But I don't use it. Because, typing text like "Better than 2nd lane, but not as good as 4th lane" for example isn't something I can do in 3 seconds, and also the text box can't be used exclusively for each section, meaning you have to delete the text you entered for the 1st verse when working on the 2nd verse, for example. So, the text box is useless for me. I've always wished I could remove the box and make the lanes as slim as minimized tracks.

So, how do I compare takes and determine the best one? I use clip background colors. In the screenshot, you can see blue clips and red clips. The blue ones are what I rated as good takes, and, after comparing them all, I changed the color of the clips I thought as best from blue to red. Rating clips by color this way is very fast and also makes it very easy to identify good and best takes. Of course, I now need to compare the red clips (some of which aren't shown in the screen, because they are in bottom lanes) and determine the real best, and then change the background colors of the remaining red clips back to blue. Sometimes, I need to go thought all blue clips again when the one I chose as best doesn't sound quite right. But, as you can imagine, this requires lots of mouse scrolls when the track contains many lanes (50+).

I've spent the last 3-4 hours doing this, and kept wishing I could right-click on one of the takes (clips) and choose "Sort Lanes by Clip Background Color" option. You know that Miscrosoft Excel's table has this feature (sort by cell color). I use it a lot. Very convenient.

I know this feature won't be implemented, because many in the Sonar forum don't even use different clip background colors in a single track. But I just had to request this.

Thanks

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1