So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles?

Author
Sacalait
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
2015/05/03 21:52:40 (permalink)

So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles?

It might be a bit off topic for the Sonar X/Platinum forum but I AM using X3e and have been a Cakewalk customer for quite a long time and have no ambition to switch DAW's.  
I've been wanting to go to a console for a while now.  While there's not a lot of info (or marketing) regarding using these desks in a studio I have a gut feeling it could be a great option for a studio like mine.  I guess the game changer would be fader/pan automation from Sonar- which I'd guess it would be available (they mention multi-track recording to any ASIO based DAW), I'd want to know for certain.  They seemed to have paid some attention to the mic pre's- which is a great idea for a console maker!  Anyone have any thoughts?

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.

9 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/06 21:42:50 (permalink)
    I still use my Yamaha 01v in my studio. Being I think 18 years old it has certainly been a solid piece of gear. You might want to check out the newest version. http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/01v96i/index.jsp

All digital mixers using midi can work with Sonar. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/07 03:09:18 (permalink)
    I am surprised at the cost though.  It was cheaper than expected.  It is a live desk though in reality. Can it actually do everything you want.

I have also had the 01V for many years too and it is still running perfect.  The newer model is very good too.

Some of the larger Yamaha digital studio mixers are very cool too but much more expensive than the TF range.

I am on Studio One and Presonus is going down a differnet road with their gear now and they have just raleased a new controller that doubles as a live controller for remote stage hardware and also Studio One.

You might be better off waiting to see if a dedictaed Sonar controller ever comes out again.

Any digital mixer can be adapted though such as the 01V96i. In fact the 01V96i has analog emulation stuff in it now and you can add more of it in too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Sacalait
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/07 11:11:59 (permalink)
    Frankly, I'm not looking at using the mic pre's full-time.  I've got some great mic pre's already.  But the fact that they're paying attention to the mic pre's is a good thing.  I also realize it's being hyped as a "live sound" mixer.  They're shipping Cubase with it so that says something about DAW integration.  Anyway, I'm leaning to a mixer.  As Cakewalk is a Gibson product- as is Tascam- it could warrant a wait and see what happens in the near future with the Tascam digital mixers.

Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    Cactus Music
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/07 21:00:18 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter what DAW you use with a digital mixer in most regards. But it does matter a lot on how you plan to use it. The sky is the limit. Digital mixers are the swiss army knife of the audio world. They can do it all. But not all of them do everything as good as others. 

The cheaper models are only 2 track output. Once you get up there they become multi track audio interfaces. I think the breaking point is mid teens $$.
    So then it comes down to how good are the drivers just like any audio interface. If all your doing is tracking live audio this does not matter as much. But if your doing full VST integration then latency will matter.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Sacalait
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/07 22:25:08 (permalink)
    ...just feeling the need to go back to faders I can put my hands on...

Cactus Music
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2015/05/07 23:05:55 (permalink)
    That's a control surface I would think, Because we use automation, it is better to do it INB so therefore using a digital mixer for mixing a DAW is sort of not what people do.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2016/09/06 11:11:42 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    I still use my Yamaha 01v in my studio. Being I think 18 years old it has certainly been a solid piece of gear. You might want to check out the newest version. http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/01v96i/index.jsp

All digital mixers using midi can work with Sonar. 

Cactus are you still using the 01v96i I am really leaning towards this mixer. Has anyone use this mixer with Platinum?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    Cactus Music
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2016/09/06 19:24:30 (permalink)
    No I'm using the old old old 01v.  I would think all the Yamaha's "work" with any DAW.
    I'm not dead sure about ther newest generation but mine is simple as it uses MIDI so easily mapped to Sonar. The Yamaha community made a few Sonar maps long time ago, you can find info on user group forums example-
    http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=83906.0

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

steveo42
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: So Anyone Besides Me Lusting After the New Yamaha TF Consoles? 2016/09/06 19:46:28 (permalink)
    I like Yamaha gear. Most of it is built like a tank and they support it well. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1