Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Reason

Author
Dr8note
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2015/05/12 06:36:28 (permalink)
5 (1)

Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Reason

Reason's audio program has VSO why haven't you guys done this yet? C'mon...this is Cakewalk, Sonar....THE software I've used for the past twenty years and recommend to All my clients and friends. I own (and hate) Pro Fools and the have time management.... please make this happen. So many clients bug me because Sonar won't do what Pro Fools will do

5 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Re 2015/05/14 09:09:50 (permalink)
    Requires HD SYNC - taken from PT manual.
    It's not like it would be a simple task.

Dr8note
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Re 2015/05/14 21:42:47 (permalink)
    how does reason's program do it?
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Re 2015/05/17 08:45:15 (permalink)
    I think it's a fundmental part of original design.
    Don't think it's easy to add as a patch of top of everything.

Reaper is also built like that from start - you have overall project speed, and even down to clip level a playback speed and an individual track. So everything is resampled in realtime and you have a knob on transport control bar to adjust speed too.

Most daws do conversions of speed(sample rate etc) and pitch and as an operation at the time. All stretching the same.

As I understand it audio snap and vocal snap stuff attempt to do similar things, but as operations. But I'm out on a lim here - not using that kind of features at all. Use daw pretty much as old style tape recorder only, nothing fancy.

Depending how you use these things in Reason, I imagine you can rewire into Sonar. You can rewire Reaper into Sonar as well, if that might be a solution - do parts that get rewired in.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Re 2015/05/17 14:13:33 (permalink)
    By far, the most common use for me of tape varispeed "back in the day" was to change timbres when doing overdubs, or to speed up the master tape a bit to give a brighter, more "pop" sound. Although some multitracks had varispeed, it made life difficult for musicians doing overdubs. It was better to change the speed during the final mixing process.

Of course with Sonar, you can do varispeed with MIDI - it's audio that's the problem. However, there are some workarounds that while they don't provide a "master varispeed control," can provide some of the more common functions for which varispeed was used.

"Vari Well, Then: Creating tape speed effects in SONAR X3"

There's also this tip on how to change the tempo of an entire project, but it doesn't change pitch like the old varispeed techniques did.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Why haven't you added VSO or time adjuster like in pro tools (iHate Pro fools) like Re 2015/05/17 16:17:00 (permalink)
    lfm
    I think it's a fundmental part of original design.
    Don't think it's easy to add as a patch of top of everything...

Agreed. Maybe it would require a second audio engine that could be switched to for varispeed and switched back for normal use.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1