Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/05/22 09:06:12 (permalink)
4.71 (14)

Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping

I've never heard anyone express their love for ACT. It's horrible, counter-intuitive, unreliable, inconvenient and just plain DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. Every time I try to use it I end up wanting to headbutt the screen. And I have an A-800 PRO, which in theory should work great with ACT. It doesn't! 

I get the idea and motive behind it. To be able to have your control surface automatically map to Sonar transport and mix controls. To be honest I haven't used it for this because I'm quite happy clicking at mix controls on screen during mixing. What I really want to do is map my control surface to synths and plugins so that I can perform the controls, for instance the cutoff filter on a synth. I want to be able to set up the mapping, write enable the track, and perform some automation data to an automation lane. ACT is horrible for this because oftentimes the mappings just don't work. And while you can also set up controls on the synth rack and remote control them, again this doesn't always work depending on the synth and besides it's just too many steps. 

I believe you should be able to make quick and easy mappings from your control surface to automation envelopes. Sonar can input data from your control surface, synths & plugins make their parameters visible to Sonar automation envelopes, so why not just connect the two and have a mapping from control surface to envelope? I believe you should be able to set a mapping on the automation lane itself and it should be as easy as clicking a MIDI learn button on the lane and twiddling your control. From then on, whenever that MIDI track has input echo enabled, the mapping is active. 

Performing synth and effect controls with control surfaces is a huge part of modern music (and synth music in general) and should be quick, intuitive, hassle free and foolproof. Right now it's not, and I feel like this is one area in which Sonar needs to improve immensely, especially if it wants to win favor with the emerging breed of electronic musicians. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

14 Replies Related Threads

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/22 17:19:57 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hopefully somebody will merge all of the control surface support FRs ...

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/23 04:19:32 (permalink)
    BobF
    Hopefully somebody will merge all of the control surface support FRs ...

I hope not because this thread is about ACT, which is hopefully still of interest to Cakewalk

Control surfaces are dead outsourced to hardware vendors who don't do anything either unfortunately put as much effort into it as Cakewalk did in recent works

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/23 04:32:21 (permalink)
    sharke
    I've never heard anyone express their love for ACT. It's horrible, counter-intuitive, unreliable, inconvenient and just plain DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. Every time I try to use it I end up wanting to headbutt the screen. And I have an A-800 PRO, which in theory should work great with ACT. It doesn't! 

very true. same situation here.

A-800 PRO and ACT just always ends in a lot of wasted time when you try to configure something. it's OK to use transport buttons, but apart from that it's not very helpful. I don't care too much about the automation and mix control as I use a VS-700 (but still this should work as advertised), but I would want to control the synth that are actively played on the A-800 PRO to be controlled via ACT from the A-800 PRO.

sharke
    ACT is horrible for this because oftentimes the mappings just don't work. [...]

I believe you should be able to make quick and easy mappings from your control surface to automation envelopes. [...]

again very true.

ACT is horrible because there are several bugs in (A) the process of mapping parameters to controls and (B) save/restore of ACT mappings.

I reported several bugs/issues over the past few years, some again quite recently, but so far have never received any status updates on any of them which tells me that these reports are parked somewhere in a dead end street and ACT is "currently" not in the focus of Cakewalk support / development.

Since this may not change in the near future I read quite a few of azslow posts on his site (thanks for that info, mate!) and tried to understand the "logic" behind the garbled output in the ACT xml files. To me it seems that once you have a working configuration in these files, the control itself seems to work. However, it's very cumbersome to fix manually and programming a script to go from garbled ACT file to tabular editor back to working ACT file is not a matter of an afternoon, but unless I see ACT addressed in any of the near future updates, I think this is the only way to make it usable ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    cityrat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/26 19:05:59 (permalink)
    +1000

It's unreliable and I can't trust it.  I've had to delete the config file (can't remember it's name) to get it to stop trying to map duplicate settings - of course losing all the mapping I did etc. 

It tries to do too much and anticipate what I want to do.  Just give me  a text file or something I can edit and setup the mappings instead of the "live" config that doesn't work.
    post edited by cityrat - 2015/05/26 19:12:00

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/27 03:32:46 (permalink)
    cityrat
    It tries to do too much and anticipate what I want to do.  Just give me  a text file or something I can edit and setup the mappings instead of the "live" config that doesn't work.

http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,5.0.html

The explanation of the bug and "Live" workaround to make it reliable. But most stable way is to edit  genericpluginparams.xml (text file ) and put everything in correct order manually (the only way for VST3). Delete the second file (sonaract.xml) and any surface will work as expected.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    AndyDavis
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/28 09:19:54 (permalink)

I would like to use ACT to quickly map a few parameters so that I can twist a knob during a performance. I am not super interested in creating permanent mappings because I can never remember what's mapped to what. Unfortunately, ACT (particularly the ACT MIDI Controller) is so unreliable that I can't use it this way. I mainly just use Automap for the task.

The biggest issues that I encounter are:
    • ACT tries to combine the UI for configuring the MIDI input and mapping to the plugin. Let me see the MIDI CC coming from the hardware and verify that this works
    • ACT consistently frequently fails to recognize the parameter being changed on the plugin. This is particularly noticeable in Reaktor Ensembles.
    • ACT gives no way to manually set a parameter when it is having trouble picking up the motion of that parameter in the plugin
    This works perfectly with Automap and it also works perfectly in Studio One. (Honestly, S1's implementation of this whole area is an amazing bit of work. Very fast, accurate, intuitive, and makes the details visible enough to troubleshoot with but not so visible that they overwhelm the real work going on.)

Edit: ACT not recognizing the parameters happens often, but not every time.
    post edited by AndyDavis - 2015/05/29 19:14:58

Don't ask the question if you cannot live with the answer.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/28 11:52:40 (permalink)
    Also have tried ACT several times over the last 6yrs+ and each time gave up in frustration.. lost connections, lost mappings, you name it, its happened to me.. 

So a very large +1 to a reliable improved, updated or replaced control surface mapping feature with bidirectional communication.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    azslow3
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/29 17:29:59 (permalink)
    AndyDavis
    I would like to use ACT to quickly map a few parameters so that I can twist a knob during a performance. I am not super interested in creating permanent mappings because I can never remember what's mapped to what. Unfortunately, ACT (particularly the ACT MIDI Controller) is so unreliable that I can't use it this way. I mainly just use Automap for the task.

http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,206.0.html

The biggest issues that I encounter are:
    • ACT tries to combine the UI for configuring the MIDI input and mapping to the plugin. Let me see the MIDI CC coming from the hardware and verify that this works

AZ Controller shows you incoming MIDI messages and what it does with them

• ACT consistently fails to recognize the parameter being changed on the plugin

I have never seen that, except with VST3 (Sonar has nasty bug) and parameters not exposed by plug-ins (there are several examples, and Automap is also can not work there)

• ACT gives no way to manually set a parameter when it is having trouble picking up the motion of that parameter in the plugin

AZ Controller does. You can use either ACT way (ACT Slider 7) or "direct" way (Track 5, FX 2, parameter 8). Tracks and FX/Synth can be referenced by name.

This works perfectly with Automap and it also works perfectly in Studio One. (Honestly, S1's implementation of this whole area is an amazing bit of work. Very fast, accurate, intuitive, and makes the details visible enough to troubleshoot with but not so visible that they overwhelm the real work going on.)

AZ Controller can not compete in simplicity with Automap. Its good side is flexibility, I do not think any other technology can beat it there. But that has a price, if you can do everything you can do nothing simple...

Mystic38
    Also have tried ACT several times over the last 6yrs+ and each time gave up in frustration.. lost connections, lost mappings, you name it, its happened to me.. 

Read the link I have posted in #6. Once you understand where the bug is, you can work around it.

So a very large +1 to a reliable improved, updated or replaced control surface mapping feature with bidirectional communication.

I am just asking to fix several obvious bugs on Sonar side... I still see nothing in the Everett changes list. The rest I can do myself. And just for completes, AZ Controller is bidirectional.

I know that this post sounds like a self advertisement. But I do not sell anything. As you, I have found existing Sonar Control Surface mapping/integration/features not capable/not working/outdated. And I have asked myself either I can do that better (I am n00b in mixing, but not it programming, at least I think so). Simplicity was not my target (so far). But I like the freedom. I have realized that one-to-one mapping (as with "Midi learn" or MIDI mapping matrix in Synth) is not a good solution for general DAW control. After a year, something was ready to present in public. You can now see far advanced version of that. And the work is still in progress, thanks to ideas, requests and suggestions from other.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    AndyDavis
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/29 18:28:49 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Although I do appreciate the effort you have put into developing and supporting AZ Control, I consider it a workaround for functionality that is badly broken in Sonar. My particular workaround is Automap.

I'd like Cakewalk to fix things so workarounds are not needed. They have such a wonderful core, it's distressing to see this sort of rot around the edges.

BobF
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/29 19:47:38 (permalink)
    AndyDavis
    Although I do appreciate the effort you have put into developing and supporting AZ Control, I consider it a workaround for functionality that is badly broken in Sonar. My particular workaround is Automap.

I'd like Cakewalk to fix things so workarounds are not needed. They have such a wonderful core, it's distressing to see this sort of rot around the edges.

I would love for Cake to adopt az's work.  Work-arounds are fine but I always consider continuity to be equally as important as functionality.

I'm not interested in investing effort into something that might be obsolete the moment az is.

Bob  --
    --

azslow3
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/30 02:44:11 (permalink)
    AndyDavis

Automap is not a workaround, it is the (Novation) software driver for particular hardware. The same as (NI) Kontrol and (Akai) Advance. ACT (Technology, not "ACT MIDI plug-in") is a part of generic Control Surface integration schema from CakeWalk.

AZ Controller is an attempt to make generic and complete platform for any device. It is not a workaround. We do not call NI Komplete "a workaround" for Dimension Pro, Waves plug-ins a workaround for Sonitus and ProTools a workaround for Sonar...

I'd like Cakewalk to fix things so workarounds are not needed.

+1000

They have such a wonderful core, it's distressing to see this sort of rot around the edges.

The Control Surface approach CW has is not really wonderful. If you ask me, they have several design problems there.

BobF
    I would love for Cake to adopt az's work.

Unlikely. For many reasons.

I'm not interested in investing effort into something that might be obsolete the moment az is.

Cakewalk, Roland and Tascam obsolete products relatively fast. And you have to pay for that products. But I understand that such companies do not disappear over night. It is possible to ask them to continue support, rework/resurrect something. Either you get what you are asking for is a different question. This thread is a good example how it works in practice

AndyDavis
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/30 11:21:29 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The problem is that Cakewalk's integration with hardware is very poorly done. That's the topic of the thread.

AZ and Automap address this problem differently, but you probably wouldn't have developed AZ and I probaby wouldn't use Automap if Controller integration worked well (or at all) in the first place. That's what I meant by workaround. It's not that either AZ or Automap are bad, it's that we really shouldn't need them at all.

All that said, I think that further discussion of either is a distraction from the topic of this thread.
    post edited by AndyDavis - 2015/05/30 11:30:01

BobF
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/30 12:17:32 (permalink)
    azslow3

Cakewalk, Roland and Tascam obsolete products relatively fast. And you have to pay for that products. But I understand that such companies do not disappear over night. It is possible to ask them to continue support, rework/resurrect something. Either you get what you are asking for is a different question. This thread is a good example how it works in practice

If your solution was offered for a fee by a reputable company with even a small chance as a going concern, I would be likely to adopt AZ.  As an individual with a closed source 'product', there is no chance for someone else to pick up where you leave off.

I'm sure you are a talented solution developer.  I'm sure AZ rocks.  I'm not interested until it becomes either, a) a commercial offering by a company larger than an individual, or b) an open source offering with a development team larger than a single person.

No, this thread is NOT a good example.  I really don't want to start dissing Ye Olde Pastry Shoppe, so I won't explain why I say that.

I just want a straight forward, simple to use implementation of protocols that are the defacto standards in the industry.

My other DAW does it VERY well.  There are other reasons not to prefer it though.  :)

Bob  --
    --

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping 2015/05/31 06:07:00 (permalink)
    I think it speaks volumes that Cakewalk have put all the data for Control Surfaces out into the public domain.

Let someone else develop the software, and while that's happened with Alexey, Cakewalk still need to do work at the back end to make it properly workable for anyone that does that. I can't see them spending the time to do it. I wish it were different

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1