Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing?

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/05/22 12:12:12 (permalink)

Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing?

...and if not I would like to request one.

Reason? I do most of my studying on my laptop that I drag around with me all day from my bedroom, sitting room and DAW room. I keep all my manuals in subdivided folders (example: I have one that covers Synths and FX where I keep all my video tuts, manuals and personal note files further sub divided into specific tools). It would be great if I could just reach out to the interwebbies and snag the PDF manuals as my brain moves into the direction of a specific tool. I would like to be able to do this for things like DimPro, Rapture, etc.

I THINK that I may be able to extract those from the help files on my DAW but I am not sure and if I can that's a bit more of a todo than just visiting a webpage and dl'ing a PDF on my laptop and having it where I need/want it.

Sorry... I'm guessing if I am not aware of soemthign like this already it probably doesn't exist but I'm taking a stab at it just in case. I also think publishing these documents in an easily accessible and properly organized manner would be a massive benefit to existing users and perhaps boost sales a bit if folks got a chance to see some of the cool stuff these extra tools can do.

The only possible negative I guess would be giving the crack version users free documentation but really... how much is that actually going to affect Cake's bottom line compared to how awesome it would be to have an instant doc library?

Alternatively... I'd be interested in hearing any ideas on how to find and extract individual help docs from the main documentation.

Cheers.

7 Replies Related Threads

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 12:43:07 (permalink)
    Sorry Beep, I've bought all the older Cake synths and can't ever remember seeing anything like an external help file. Given the trend in development I don't see them putting out manuals for anything older than Rapture Pro.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Beepster
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 13:18:57 (permalink)
    Hi, John. How ya doin? I figured this might not exist (yet) considering I haven't stumbled across such a page. Now I'm doing some prelim Google searches and am finding some PDFs from various sources (only checked for DimPro and Rapture so far). Maybe I'll be able to cobble together my own collection. Always hate going outside of manufacturer sites for documentation (PDFs can hide computator bugs as far as I know) but I'm hell bent on learning all this crud.

hmm... I guess I have a few options. Scour the tubes for PDFs, figure out if I can/how to yank item by item help files from the main help files on my DAW and transfer them or I guess go through the hassle of creating my own PDFs... which really I've never done and I don't have the appropriate programs to do so (but I know there are freebies out there).

Damn... for such a knowledge centric company it seems odd this hadn't been done already.

Not freakin' out though. Just a eternally curious weirdo and looking for a quick knowledge rush.

Feature Request? Forum Discussion request?

Cheers.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 13:20:21 (permalink)
    Most of the synths have local help files. Synths like DPro, Rapture and z3ta+ Classic and 2 all have pdfs in their "Program Files\Cakewalk\synthName" folders. The best resource still is Simon Cann's book "Cakewalk Synthesizers".
    Beepster
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 13:32:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, scook. I'll yank them from there. How about some of the effects? I honestly haven't tried to open their F1 files for a long time (always used to cause weird crap or not work at all). I doubt those would be accessible the same (as in they are probably just entries in the main doc) but maybe they are or there is a way I could yank the appropriate pages out of the main reference.

Of course I'm not expecting you personally to solve that problem. Just spitballing and seeing if others have some ideas on how they have or how I could approach this... and yeah, I need to drop some coin on the books you've recommended. I'm slowly getting myself into a position where a few bucks here or there can be tossed at such things.

Cheers.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 13:39:30 (permalink)
    Depends on the plug-in. I would suggest recursively searching "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" for pdf and chm files, assuming the plug-ins are in the default location. You may be surprised at how many there are. The Nomad Factory plug-ins documentation (which I believe is not installed with SONAR) is not very informative. It consists a small description of the plug-in, a screen shot and ranges for the faders and knobs. There is an overview of all the plug-ins in the Reference Guide, which is part of the local help installer (although it is about as useful and the Nomad pdf in this case). That pdf is in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum" and would get picked up if you do the aforementioned search.
    post edited by scook - 2015/05/22 13:46:34
    Beepster
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 14:25:46 (permalink)
    @scook...

Thanks again and I wouldn't be surprised really because we've got a lot of stuff. I totally expect that quite a bit will be very sparse and probably not really worth it but maybe there are some gems in there. Things like the Sonitus plugs would be cool to have a full manual on because they are so complex.

Really though I guess this would be more about the massive pile of synths. I actually didn't realize HOW many synths, samplers and similar doodads we had until I got the SWA Instruments Revealed vid on it all. That vid is great (I just realized I haven't made notes on it yet for navigation and the file names aren't descriptive... ugh) but I like manuals for quick peaks at things or more thorough descriptions (if available) too.

I'll look around the system to see if I can yank that crap.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Is there an online repository of the Cake/Sonar synth and FX manuals for dl'ing? 2015/05/22 23:54:50 (permalink)
    As Steve already mentioned, Simon Cann's book on Cakewalk synths is pretty much the standard. Lots of good info to fill your brain with. It's been out for years as have the Cakewalk synths.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1