PRV Window, Controller Pane

Author
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2015/05/20 12:05:19 (permalink)
5 (1)

PRV Window, Controller Pane

Preface: I'm sure this will be moved, but it shouldn't be.   It is a big big big problem.   

Background: it seems that I am one of the heaviest users of the PRV for multiple tracks and multiple controllers.

History:  the PRV controller pane shows a line for each controller for each midi event channel for each track.   Every midi track I use has a volume, pan, modwheel, and expression controller, plus notes that have velocity, plus pitch bend.   

See attached photo #1, for the view of four related tracks, each carefully managed so that all midi events in the first track are assigned to midi channel 1, all midi events in the second track to midi channel 2, all in the third track to midi channel 3, and all in the fourth track to midi channel 4.    I'm working on a lengthy post to help others with how to do this and why ..

Obviously, the controller pane is absolutely and completely worthless like this (the image is from a large monitor, one of three large monitors I use with sonar). 

In order to be able to use the controller pane, I drag it up so that it fills the entire monitor.    PROBLEM 1:  ALL CONTROLLER LANES ARE THE SAME SIZE AND THAT CAN'T BE CHANGED!    See image 2, next.

You'll see that the individual controller lanes are still too small to be 'drawn' into, and, of course, the note area, the essential piece of PRV, is squashed to almost nothing.    If you were to look very closely, you'd see:  at the top, there is a velocity strip for the selected track (#4 shown); for the first of four tracks, there's a CC1 strip, a CC7 strip, a CC10 strip, and a CC11 strip.  As I prefaced, they are in this neat order only because I made a point of setting the midi event channel numbers to correspond to the order of tracks in the window.   So track one uses only midi event channel 1.   For the second of the tracks, all events set to midi channel 2, we see four more strips - CC1, CC7, CC10, and CC11.  For the third track, likewise, and for the fourth.    The controllers for the selected track (#4) are highlighted.    It's all organized, easy to understand:  BUT IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!!

If I select a different track, see the next screenshot:  

Here's bug 2:  there ARE CC11 controller messages in the second track, as well as CC1, CC7, and CC10.   Why are they not shown?   No idea.   

Here's bug 3:  you look at the controller pane, left side, and you see all those selectors, one per strip?   THEY DON'T WORK.   Any one of them gives the same thing:  you can only select a controller PRESENT IN THE SELECTED TRACK.    (or a "new value type").     But the point is EVERY SINGLE STRIP is the same thing, except for the active and selected controller, and mysteriously except for CC11 of track 2.  

Please don't move ... took me a long time to get all this prepared. 

4 Replies Related Threads

williamcopper
    Re: PRV Window, Controller Pane 2015/05/20 12:12:39 (permalink)
    This additional point, might be considered a 'feature request', but is very closely related.    In the above, the strips in the controller pane for CC7 velocity and CC10 pan?   I am positive I never want to see them, they are set once and ignored, so a simple setting somewhere in preferences would be great .... which CC values to show and which not to show in PRV controller pane. 
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: PRV Window, Controller Pane 2015/05/20 13:34:22 (permalink)
    williamcopper
    In the above, the strips in the controller pane for CC7 velocity and CC10 pan?   I am positive I never want to see them, they are set once and ignored

Instead of placing events in the track for these controllers, try using the Pan and Volume widgets in the track header to set these fixed initial values. SONAR sends corresponding messages for these controls every time playback is started so the result should be the same.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: PRV Window, Controller Pane 2015/05/21 12:08:58 (permalink)
    As for what you think are bugs, I'll be happy to validate them if you could post a step-by-step procedure to reproduce per issue. I know you spent a long time creating the thread, but I think you shouldn't expect others to spend the same amount of time and energy to read and understand your problems. When I used to report issues frequently, I would just submit a Problem Report ticket immediately after I found something that I thought was definitely a bug, and it was almost always confirmed as a bug by the developer, and the ticket was then forwarded to the department in charge. My experience tells me that's the fastest way to have an issue confirmed, but if you prefer to have someone on the forum confirm it first, I think you should post simple and easy steps to reproduce it (one thread per issue). But my experience also tells me that the louder you complain on the forum, the faster the bug gets fixed. Wish I could complain loudly, too. Many of the bugs I reported haven't been fixed yet, and I'm still waiting patiently...  

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    williamcopper
    Re: PRV Window, Controller Pane 2015/05/22 14:15:27 (permalink)
    Today I spent four hours (or more ... I've lost track) setting up 12 windows for 73 tracks and 8 VSTs.   Because of the wild way PRV and controller pane and minimized windows work together, I had to be absolutely sure everything was put together in the way Sonar likes it ... set the controller number on all tracks, group them into windows based on the original track order, open the windows in the same order, delete all but three controller strips in every single window, minimize them in the same order ...   I've finally got enough experience with the software to be pretty sure all this set-up will let me work more quickly, but it is all "work-around-work" and not pleasant to do.    And there are still awkward things in the controller pane, like trying to draw a controller that already has a value, with a curve beginning anywhere near the present value (the cursor jumps to the existing value and locks to it, so you end up changing the last-in-time controller, even if that was 100 bars earlier and needed for the next 99 bars. ) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1