Helpful ReplyWhy Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ?

Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2015/05/17 12:48:28 (permalink)

Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ?

So I am watching a video on some VST plugins like the SSL Channel Strips, which have EQ knobs, and while I do understand how they work - they seem to do the same thing you can do in the ProChannel EQ.  They have the Q size and all that...   so why would anyone want to use a plugin like that?

It seems easier to see visually what is going on when you EQ no?  Is there something I am missing?

Thank You!
Adam
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 12:57:49 (permalink)
Some say you should use your ears not your eyes.

Others say if your ears are deceiving you, use your eyes.

Myolpal says it takes all kinds to make a horse race.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:05:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2015/05/17 14:00:45
Once you get used to how EQs work the graphical component isn't really necessary and folks who have been fiddling with this stuff for a while don't need to see the curves. In many ways they can actually be a distraction from what REALLY matters... which of course is the sound.

I used to ask myself the same exact thing and shied away from the less visual EQs but am far more comfortable just twisting knobs without seeing the curves.

Also many non graphical EQ models are intended to respond like their hardware counterparts so those who are used to just turning physical knobs on those devices will feel more at home. The Pultec style EQs are like that and have unique curves/response that are probably impractical to show visually. And really why waste extra design time, screen real estate and graphical processing power displaying graphs when you are dealing with sound?

I still like seeing what's going on in most cases but really, if I have info on the vital params (Gain, BW/Q, Freq*... which is usually displayed in a tooltip anyway but can be learned from product info without) then it's pretty easy to know what is being affected.

That said... I do really like analyzer type displays that show HOW the signal is being affected. I do keep being told to trust my ears though... not numbers, graphs and eyeballs but I still find it interesting to see how signals are affected in real time.

Meh.

*edited because I forgot to add Frequency... oops. Kind of important.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/05/17 14:28:50
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:06:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/05/17 13:22:33
lol... beat out by my own verbiosity and bumble fingers.

wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:40:56 (permalink)
because sometimes a graphical EQ is not the tool I need...

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:41:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2015/05/17 14:02:20
designers of certain quality eq's, 
chose specific crossover points,
and these things provide a certain 'personality' to the eq...
and some folks specifically want THAT personality...

and even if you mock up your own version of that particular eq,
the components that went into the design,
also have something to say about that personality,
and those things are quite hard to model.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:48:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2015/05/17 14:02:46
I assume you're talking about a parametric based EQ vs a designated multiband graphic. ( between 5 to 31 bands is common)

They both do a similar job but in slightly different ways. I used to be a huge Graphic EQ fan and still like them because of their simplicity and you can see at a glance what you have.

They work great but very often, especially in the hardware versions, the band width is fixed and sometimes you simply need a more narrow band notch. The lower the number of bands...such as the 5 and 10 band models have fairly wide bands.  I see 5 bands on guitar amps.

Using a Para-Q lets you dial in and narrow down a certain frequency. This can be really helpful with a snare or in a live PA, notching out a pesky feedback frequency that wants to ring.

Now days, in the studio, I use both. Since many of the software based vst EQ's tend to blend the attributes of both the graphic and the dial-ability of the para into one, what's not to love about that? 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:56:15 (permalink)
wst3

serious?   
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 13:57:43 (permalink)
Beepster
Once you get used to how EQs work the graphical component isn't really necessary and folks who have been fiddling with this stuff for a while don't need to see the curves. In many ways they can actually be a distraction from what REALLY matters... which of course is the sound.

I used to ask myself the same exact thing and shied away from the less visual EQs but am far more comfortable just twisting knobs without seeing the curves.

Also many non graphical EQ models are intended to respond like their hardware counterparts so those who are used to just turning physical knobs on those devices will feel more at home. The Pultec style EQs are like that and have unique curves/response that are probably impractical to show visually. And really why waste extra design time, screen real estate and graphical processing power displaying graphs when you are dealing with sound?

I still like seeing what's going on in most cases but really, if I have info on the vital params (Gain, BW, Q... which is usually displayed in a tooltip anyway but can be learned from product info without) then it's pretty easy to know what is being affected.

That said... I do really like analyzer type displays that show HOW the signal is being affected. I do keep being told to trust my ears though... not numbers, graphs and eyeballs but I still find it interesting to see how signals are affected in real time.

Meh.

Great read, thank you!   I got it - its those specialized EQ curves that make those hardware EQ's sound the way they do!   their own flavor.  I get it.  I was just wondering I guess if there is something you can attain in what but not the other or if they are used for different purposes!   Thanks!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 14:05:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2015/05/17 14:21:24
alewgro
wst3

serious?   

It could very well be a serious answer because it is true.  I think the thread title may be a bit confusing because I think you are referring to an eq that has a very visual based graphic interface, but some may take it as a graphic equalizer vs parametric ( or other variation of eq) topic. For me, visual aids are more valuable with the more surgical aspects of eq where sight may make something more obvious before my ears notice. When it comes to coloring type eq, the visual component becomes less valuable because you are pretty muc dialing in values based in personal taste instead of correcting or carving space in mix. A graphic interfcae on a putec type eq would not increase its value for me, since I go strictly by ear when using.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 14:14:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2015/05/17 14:21:39
There are eqs which have a very distinctive sound, or rather effect on the sound. Many are emulations of hardware that never had a graphical display of the eq curve. People managed to make excellent recordings using such eqs for decades before computer-based eqs with curve displays came along.

Personally I find a graphical display most useful for tuning out resonances and low and high passing.
If you do need a graphical display of what an eq without one is doing just put an analyser plugin after the eq and toggle the eq on and off to see the changes. Or an analyser before and after the eq and compare their displays.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 14:16:54 (permalink)
dubdisciple
alewgro
wst3

serious?   

It could very well be a serious answer because it is true.  I think the thread title may be a bit confusing because I think you are referring to an eq that has a very visual based graphic interface, but some may take it as a graphic equalizer vs parametric ( or other variation of eq) topic. For me, visual aids are more valuable with the more surgical aspects of eq where sight may make something more obvious before my ears notice. When it comes to coloring type eq, the visual component becomes less valuable because you are pretty muc dialing in values based in personal taste instead of correcting or carving space in mix. A graphic interfcae on a putec type eq would not increase its value for me, since I go strictly by ear when using.

i get that - i meant it more like - who gives an answer like that?  obviously im asking WHY, WHERE, WHEN, HOW, etc...  how is that answer helpful to anyone?
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 14:17:40 (permalink)
Thank you everyone for the clarification and help on this.  I understand the difference now!  thank you all!

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 16:23:39 (permalink)
Graphical EQs are most often used in a live setting to ring out a room, ie. compensate for resonances and null points.  I can't remember when I saw one in a recording studio, or a major one, anyway.

If you think about it, there is a good reason most studio engineers don't have a graphic eq in their rig - the quality is usually just not there.  Think of a typical 32 band graphic EQ.  Think of a typical parametric - 3 bands.  If they both cost the same, which has better components?  And more important, which has more control?  Trick question.  16 bands per side seems like plenty of control, but only if those 16 points match up to one of your problem frequencies.  Otherwise, they are useless.  You don't have control of the slope of the EQ, or the frequency.  Or variable filters, which are (for me, anyway), the most useful EQ tool.

Bill was being nice - a graphic EQ is a tool few studio engineers use or need.  The most use I got out of one was having it in a house system but not engaged.  A promoter at an after hours club in NYC I did sound for would come by and tweak it so the system would "sound better."  After a couple of months he finally realized it wasn't doing anything.  After that, he didn't bother me anymore with his suggestions.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
bapu
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 16:35:41 (permalink)
AT
The most use I got out of one was having it in a house system but not engaged.  A promoter at an after hours club in NYC I did sound for would come by and tweak it so the system would "sound better."  After a couple of months he finally realized it wasn't doing anything.  After that, he didn't bother me anymore with his suggestions.

Great story.

On a similar note I was doing live sound for a friend of mine who plays in a Greek Band. He told me they were going to have a guest clarinet player from Greece (a big deal over there). My friend said he's an a$$. He always want to be "turned up". So the gig is going, they are jamming. The clarinet player looks to me and signals his clarinet and gives me the "thumbs up signal, to turn him up". I make a big sweeping/turning gesture over the board. He plays a few more riffs and smiles and gives me the OK gesture. Of course I did nothing because he was already well balanced in both the monitors and FOH.
bapu
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 16:35:58 (permalink)
Sorry for the OT.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/17 23:33:06 (permalink)
I was also confused with assuming the thread title meant "graphic EQ," but as far as a graphical display, much of this depends on the application. Mirror EQ requires parametric functionality, but if you look at older mixing boards, the knobs and crossovers were hard-wired. You can actually mimic these in many EQ VSTs and is a bit eye opening to try (it is not as restrictive as some portray).

Infinite versatility to 4 significant digits is not always best (and is actually an anal-retentive person's bane). Stepping back to an even broader scenario... most guitar amps have no graphical display of the overall EQ curve (barring a graphic EQ, of course), yet most players do not find this an issue (with a good amp).
post edited by mettelus - 2015/05/18 05:22:36

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/18 01:17:17 (permalink)
Good one, Bapu.  Anyone who did live sound more than once or twice has a similar story, I image.  Everybody is so helpful ... 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
codamedia
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1185
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/18 07:54:01 (permalink)
alewgro
So I am watching a video on some VST plugins like the SSL Channel Strips, which have EQ knobs, and while I do understand how they work - they seem to do the same thing you can do in the ProChannel EQ.  They have the Q size and all that...   so why would anyone want to use a plugin like that?

It seems easier to see visually what is going on when you EQ no?  Is there something I am missing?

Adam... I know you have already had a satisfactory answer or two, but there is one more I'd like to add.

Graphical interfaces are relatively new (with DAWs and Plugins)... and many of us simply learned on consoles where turning knobs was the only way. Putting a visual to that... for many... is a distraction and unnecessary. At the same time, for those starting out and not understanding how each turn of a knob effects what is happening it can be very helpful for them to see & learn.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
markrounds
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/24 08:08:46 (permalink)
I use my ears and try to trust what I'm hearing.  I use the pro channel EQ and also a plug in depending how I feel that day, both are awesome.
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Why Would Anyone Use A NON-Graphical EQ? 2015/05/24 15:39:54 (permalink)
well that would be me with the answer that turned out to be less helpful, so let me flesh it out a bit...

Different types of equalizers behave differently, and there are a LOT of variations. Filters in series vs filters in parallel, compensation for summing vs no compensation, IIR vs FIR (ok, only in the digital domain), and of course parametric vs multi-fixed-band, aka graphical EQ.

Even within the world of graphical EQs there are different filter types and widths and so on.

So my answer was quite serious, albeit apparently too brief. Sometimes a parametric filter is what I need, and sometimes a graphical EQ is what I need. And really, that's how I decide - but that's based on starting out in the mid 1970s when most console filters (if they were even included) were fixed parameter filters, and outboard usually meant a graphical EQ or two.

Two of my all time favorite equalizers are both graphical - which even as I type this fascinates me a bit. The best sounding filter set I've used is the original API 560 - 10 bands of musical goodness! And I think that probably influenced my ears a bit, because my other favorite was made by  Traynor back in the 1980s, it could be a 31 band 1/3 octave filter set, or two 10 band 1 octave filters sets. I used it mostly in that second configuration.

I still love parametric equalizers, and my favorite in that bunch is the Valley Audio Maxi-Q. But the API, Ashly, Neve, Tangent, and Trident parametric equalizers are also on the list, actually, it's a long list, probably easier to list the ones I don't like, but I'll skip that.

I think if I had to have a rule of thumb it would go something like I use graphical equalizer more often when I am trying to shape a track, or even a mix. I use parametric equalizers when I am trying to solve problems. But sometimes a parametric will let me shape the track better than the graphic. I can't think of occasions when the graphic solved a problem better than a parametric - but I'm sure there are cases.

As far as using any filter set based on a graphical user interface I would have to say that seldom comes up for me. I find that using my eyes for make audio decisions just doesn't work for me. I'm in awe of people that can edit or set parameters for a filter or compressor by eye. I've been in the room when it has happened, so I don't discount it, I just can't do it. I get better results using my ears, and in fact when I was schlepping coffee and take-out my 'teachers' would often cover the controls to make me use my ears.

It was probably helpful at one time - but frankly the numbers around the knobs are a great starting point!

So that's the long(er) answer - I use the tool that gets me the result I'm listening for. And as often as not these days I have a pretty good idea of what  I am trying to do. I've also developed a reasonably good idea of how to use my microphone locker - selection and placement - to make the need for filters and compressors less likely.

One last thought - I have one parametric EQ - and Ashly but I don't know the model, it was part of a custom rig - anyway, when I set the bandwidth really tight the filter will ring on transients. It's a cool effect!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1