• Total Posts : 10
2015/05/24 08:10:45 (permalink)

review sonar platinum

Hey

i´m using sonar now for a couple of weeks here is my Experience so far

LOOKS GREAT.
SOUNDS GREAT.

BUT:

1.) AUDIO EDITING: WHY DO YOU CALL THIS GROOVE CLIP when you actually can not change the GROOVE of a sample at the markers (like in ABLETON and many others)

1.) MIDI IS NOT WORKING TIGHT.
2.) CHANGING MIDI NOTES WITH THE KEYBOARD IS NOT POSSIBLE. COME ON????!!!!!!!!!
3.) PLAYBACK DOESN`T START AT THE BEGINNING OF A CLIP?
4.) YOU HAVE TO WAIT OF THE WHOLE CICLE UNTIL SYNTH STARTS PLAYING NOTES WHEN U MUTE OR  ACTIVATE THE TRACK.....
6.) BROWSING THE INSTRUMENTS (SONAR) IS LIKE IN 1995. THIS IS SO USELESS WHEN IT COMES TO DIGGING

Thinking of re sign my Membership for platinum.

:(

19 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 08:32:07 (permalink)
    unit25luca
    1.) AUDIO EDITING: WHY DO YOU CALL THIS GROOVE CLIP when you actually can not change the GROOVE of a sample at the markers (like in ABLETON and many others)

I haven't used Ableton, so I'm useless here.

unit25luca

Works fine for me. There are settings that can be important to adjust for your system. Preferences > Audio > Configuration File has lots of important items for midi for different systems. 'Reset Config to Defaults' fixes things for people as often as subtle tweaks do. Scook here in the forum is the master of which settings might need tweaking for you.

unit25luca

In this case you are talking about mapping a keyboard to different octaves within Sonar? My keyboard works for all octaves and the octave I'm playing can be mapped directly. Still, I see the usefulness if you have an abbreviated midi controller (not all the keys) to being able to have it control two octaves at the same time on different midi tracks. To do this you would need to adjust the incoming midi in real time using a plugin like the Midi Transpose filter. WAIT! Is that what you are looking for? You'll find it in Midi FX.

unit25luca
    3.) PLAYBACK DOESN`T START AT THE BEGINNING OF A CLIP?

For me shift G moves the now time to the beginning of the selected clip.

unit25luca
    4.) YOU HAVE TO WAIT OF THE WHOLE CICLE UNTIL SYNTH STARTS PLAYING NOTES WHEN U MUTE OR  ACTIVATE THE TRACK.....

Yes, midi notes where the midi ON event has already passed are not triggered retroactively when you enable a midi track. This is by design for a good reason. Synths don't sound the same during the entire note. In order to make this work, you would have to always be processing the midi in the background which uses resources. The way Sonar is designed, if you mute a midi track, the work to generate the signal is not done. You would not want to send the note after the fact to the midi synth because midi synths do not sound the same at all points in the note. They have Decays and stuff. So... The choice is either always on, or wait until next note triggers. Sonar chose wait until next note triggers.

You can submit a feature request for always on if you want. Alternatively, I think you could just route the synth to a bus and mute/unmute it there.

unit25luca
    6.) BROWSING THE INSTRUMENTS (SONAR) IS LIKE IN 1995. THIS IS SO USELESS WHEN IT COMES TO DIGGING

hmmm. As I'm a pretty dedicated Sonar user, I'm not sure what is better about the competition. Could you elaborate? I'm not convinced that the problem isn't your lack of understanding of the software.

unit25luca
    Thinking of re sign my Membership for platinum.
    :(

I'm suddenly thinking of that cups song...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSbXsFE3l8

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 08:51:58 (permalink)
    I think you will have to take a bit longer to get really into the workflow of the new SONAR. Did you use any previous versions before Platinum? Are you running the latest version? I cannot think of much I am not able to do in SONAR Platinum, MIDI or audio.
    Anyway, best of luck.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 09:33:06 (permalink)
    And please. We are all Sonar users here.

SO STOP SHOUTING AT US. It's considered impolite, especially as you've had nothing but help so far.

Ask some specific questions and we'll help you sort out your difficulties.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 10:20:13 (permalink)
    nice use of caps.

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Mackie Control Universal + C4
    Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
    Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
    UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
    Windows 10
    icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 11:05:02 (permalink)
    unit25luca

Be more specific, please.

unit25luca

Select the notes, double-click the Pitch field in the Event Inspector module on the Control Bar and enter the desired value if you mean a QWERTY keyboard, hit the white or black key if you mean a MIDI keyboard. 

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 15:30:33 (permalink)
    1. Regarding Groove Clips, the short answer is you are using the wrong tool to do what you want. Groove Clip editing is a variation on the Acidization process - a feature that was invented by Sonic Foundry, and first appeared in Acid (now published by Sony). The Groove Clip process is optimized for editing WAV files in the Loop Construction Window so they can stretch over the widest possible tempo range. (Note that it takes some knowledge of how stretching works to get excellent results; I've published several articles on the subject.) It also specifies pitch so the pitch can follow Pitch markers and transpose during the course of a song. Furthermore, you can edit to optimize the stretching for different keys - it's more difficult to transpose pitch over a wide range than it is to change tempo over a wide range. Apple Loops use a virtually identical approach, because the main engineer behind the Acidization process now works for Apple.

Ableton Live's warping function is like SONAR's AudioSnap function, which allows you not only to apply grooves, but extract them (as well as do quantization).

In addition to applying existing grooves to a clip in SONAR, you can also create your own groove or edit existing ones by manipulating the transient markers revealed by using the AudioSnap palette, or by changing an audio track's Edit filter to Audio Transients.

IMHO what Ableton Live does better than any other program (including SONAR) is using warp to "ungroove" a clip that has an existing groove. I use this to edit old school tracks that weren't recorded to a click so they can be used in Traktor.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anderton
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 15:35:20 (permalink)
    icontakt
    unit25luca

Select the notes, double-click the Pitch field in the Event Inspector module on the Control Bar and enter the desired value if you mean a QWERTY keyboard, hit the white or black key if you mean a MIDI keyboard. 

Or maybe he means step time, which you can also do in SONAR.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anderton
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/24 15:40:33 (permalink)
    6. You can create custom plug-in layouts for choosing synths or effects, and categorize them however you want, in as many categories as you want...just go to the plug-in manager. You can also create multiple custom layouts.

It sounds to me like you need to spend more time with SONAR. It is a very flexible program, and you would have to be Superman to discover them all - let alone learn how to use them - in a couple weeks.

Anderton
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/26 00:14:06 (permalink)
    I always wonder whether people who do posts like the OP read the answers and go back to learn more about the program, or just assume the issues don't have solutions, don't check back, and move on to something else...

mudgel
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/26 00:33:52 (permalink)
    In his only other thread, the OP asked for help with Dim Pro. Seems like he understands the process.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/26 00:35:12 (permalink)
    Sonar is just too cheap.

Best part of threads like these:
        THE CRAIG
          improves his explanation of whatever
           improves his typing speed and accuracy
             gathers bits for his articles and books

mudgel
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/26 01:55:45 (permalink)
    Sonar is just too cheap.

THE CRAIG

Sonar by Craigwalk. A Gibson brand

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Anderton
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/26 16:50:59 (permalink)
    Sonar is just too cheap.

THE CRAIG

You've found me out...I don't write books, I harvest them. Sort of like what Cakewalk does with bug fixes. 

unit25luca
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 14:17:34 (permalink)
    sorry for the caps :) i was a bit confused of how this flagship DAW works.
    thx for some of the good advices. they helped me out a lot.

@zargg 71: you totally right

will dig deep into it.

meanwhile Dimension pro is working aswell after i changed the Location of the 64bit vst

cheers and thx
    luca

charlyg
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 14:36:35 (permalink)
    All's well that ends well......or some such

Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 15:08:50 (permalink)
    The thing about Sonar, and seemingly most DAWs, is that it has it's own specific flow, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

It seems to me, if you are not just trying to get a rise out of us (and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt), that you are coming from more of a "Live" DAW perspective/workflow such as the ones provided by programs like Ableton or FruityLoops (and perhaps the new Bitwig platform).

These types of quick pitch, timing, tonal, whatever type manipulations ARE possible with Sonar but it really is not as intuitive as those other programs. It has some kind of semi appropriate tools for that stuff but they're a bit weird, complex and unfortunately not the type of thing I would personally trust on stage. In the studio where if something screwy happens and/or you have time to plot things out a little more in advance... sure.

On the other end of the spectrum, which is a hardcore, fully integrated tracking platform for pro recording studios like Nuendo, Cubase, Protools or even Reaper it unfortunately isn't going to be able to handle the crazy audio routing, controller mapping nor conform to certain established "industry" conventions PERHAPS as well and as easily as those other DAWs.

Essentially Sonar is PERFECTLY capable of performing in both of those scenarios BUT it may require a bit more effort, education and elbow grease to really get the same results of those other tools.

What Sonar completely and utterly excels at is as a creation package for artists, an extremely healthy out of the box mixing platform and more and more a very high quality editing tool (although that seems to have only recently come to fruition and requires a bit more refinement).

So to break that down... as an independent writer Sonar Platinum comes with absolutely ANY sound/instrument I need to create ANY style of music completely professionally. The instrument suite is out of control and cannot be found with any other DAW. As an old rock/folk/punk/metal/prog/indie/etc guy I am more than equiped to write anything I need to in those genres. On top of that the healthy pile of synths, samplers, romplers, bomplers, scomplers and bebomplers (lol... synths) I can add all sorts of extra crap or start turning out crazy orchestral stuff if I wanted. The instruments are great.

As a recording/writing tool it is an excellent environment. Once you get into the flow it is VERY easy to write and record into Sonar. Staff View is a little clunky and there are some things in PRV that annoy me (but I have not tried the new SPlat PRV yet) but all in all it is a very comfortable environment conducive to just sitting back and getting your ideas into the box.

Mixing is another one of those things where the absolutely INSANE and diverse package of tools makes Sonar beat out the competitors. You'll spend a fortune trying to catch up with the package that comes with Sonar so again great for the at home artist. Also the ProChannel is extremely convenient, sounds good and for anyone who's used to real boards very comfortable to work with. It is also becoming more and more felxible as the years press on.

Editing. Sonar was a bear to edit with up until X3 IMO and could use some more tweaking but the new features and methods, to me, are pretty slick. They just take a bit of studying and practice but at the end of the day it beats out the old school way of doing things. At the rate this aspect of Sonar has been going it'll crush anything in its path very soon.

So really to me it is a "cradle to grave" (in the songwriting sense) creation station for artists which really SHOULD be the focal point of such tools. Those other platforms are for a) people prgramming, stringing together and triggering loops live (and I'm not saying those people aren't artists but they need tools that are essentially dedicated sampler/synth/loopers which I consider more of an instrument than a recording platform) or b) hard ass studio engineers who are only there to capture sound/performances of the artists then tweak it in post using EXTREMELY expensive (and unatainable by most) hardware/software tools/addons.

Sonar is kind of like the Jack of all trades... master of kind of sort of most of them type tool.

As an artist sitting on my balls day in and day out trying to get a portfolio together that fact/functionality is totally fine with me and every year (and now every month) I've owned Sonar it just gets better and better at the little things it does that I bought it for in the first place.

If I opened a tracking studio I might consider Cubase though. If I wanted to go loopty looping live I might consider Ableton. For what I do right now... Sonar is exactly what I need.

Peace.
    post edited by Beepster - 2015/05/27 16:00:06
    Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 16:35:16 (permalink)
    At the rate SONAR is developing, I would never leave, unless they suddenly take a serious shift of direction (which seems unlikely for a simpleton like me). Feeling more and more pleased with the way things are going

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 17:09:12 (permalink)
    "bebomplers" was my favorite, Beep. Glad to see the OP is not a troll too. 

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: review sonar platinum 2015/05/27 19:19:45 (permalink)
    Zargg71
    At the rate SONAR is developing, I would never leave, unless they suddenly take a serious shift of direction (which seems unlikely for a simpleton like me). Feeling more and more pleased with the way things are going

That's the exact reason I took the money I was saving to upgrade my Studio One 2 Pro license to S1 3 and spent it on SONAR Platinum instead.

No reason not to use S1 2 Pro for mastering, when/if I need to do that.

Also no reason not to use SONAR for everything else. 

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1