Helpful ReplyWhat Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/25 20:24:52 (permalink)
   Seriously, I can't think of anything MAJOR that CW can do to improve or upgrade their DAW, except: 
Some kinda VARI-SPEED implementation (that affects pitch).

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

sylent
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/25 21:27:03 (permalink)
Anonymungus!
   Seriously, I can't think of anything MAJOR that CW can do to improve or upgrade their DAW, except: 
Some kinda VARI-SPEED implementation (that affects pitch).

That would be cool... based on Vocal Sync.
Single switchable knob multi-tool .. choose pitch, tempo, or control between 2 or 3 FX sends, or whatever on the fly using ARA.
Sync 2 tracks together by simply dialing it in. Great for audio restoration too.

post edited by sylent - 2015/05/25 21:38:40

http://twisteddrive.com
Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 00:15:46 (permalink)
I did not include "days."  My bad.

"30 day insanity."

So far we have received monthly rollups of ALL of CW products and content.

My take: As soon as THE CRAIG's bits were submitted and confirmed they should have been released. I cannot fathom how any of these items had any relationship to samples and loops provided by another contributor, nor the AD updates, nor the Sonar updates.

I see no need to have everything released at the same time. Anything can be included in the monthly ezine summary whenever that gets updated and released. But to not get THE CRAIGs stuff immediately just seems arbitrary.

I am starting to think there is an increasingly unreasonable pressure to do something each calendar month.

Release bug fixes as they are ready. Not when a bunch of stuff is ready. No doubt that most important big fix is finished the day after the latest big pile is released. Wait another week if need be to include it.

Years ago we were told Sonar had been reconstructed as a framework so bugs, and new features, and,... could be released as available rather than waiting for the next service pack.

Given the CCC separates products and content I would rather get stuff when it is ready. If it takes 6 weeks to get the next Sonar service pack ready GREAT!  I would rather have it in six weeks than one not quite as great every 30 days.

And content has no reason to age. Get it out the door as soon as it is ripe.

And that goes for every other product listed in my pile. Give me the updates when ready. Not as part of the Sonar bug fix rollup.

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 00:40:58 (permalink)
Hmmm 6 years of Craigs forthcoming updates all at once(sitting in his cupboard right now).. Not sure I have the bandwidth..
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 00:43:37 (permalink)
I'm not sure I want to download an entire copy of Sonar every time there is a bug fix either... Regardless if it went like that you can kiss goodbye to internal stability. Qa can't test a full build on a continuous basis.

Don't forget there are monthly subscribers hence monthly updates.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/05/26 00:50:44
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 01:25:40 (permalink)
Can it possibly have a chocolate chip cookie maker? (actually I'm willing to wait a few more months for that)

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 05:53:07 (permalink)
Speed up the loading of Rap Pro? Speed up PLT generally?

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 09:19:36 (permalink)
My take: As soon as THE CRAIG's bits were submitted and confirmed they should have been released. I cannot fathom how any of these items had any relationship to samples and loops provided by another contributor, nor the AD updates, nor the Sonar updates.

I see no need to have everything released at the same time. Anything can be included in the monthly ezine summary whenever that gets updated and released. But to not get THE CRAIGs stuff immediately just seems arbitrary.

It's not quite that simple, because there are also issues are at my end. As Leonardo Da Vinci said, "Art is never finished, only abandoned." When I work on content, it's good to have it "sit on the shelf" awhile so that I use it in the context of various projects. I often make little tweaks for weeks (or even months) after I think it's finished, or I add on to the content.

For example, I made a loop library of Korg Z1 arpeggiator patterns, all with the REX format and in the key of C. But then I thought people might not want to have to convert into groove clips to have the loops follow pitches changes, so I generated additional versions for the keys of E and A. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should generate Acidized versions as well...but that would take a lot of time, and I'm not sure how many people want me to spend time on loops compared to other content. So, the library is sitting on the shelf while I sort this out. I could release the REX format files today, but that might not be the best option.

Also, I relate this to writing articles or doing mixes...I can always do one more edit, tweak one more element. But having a deadline is what gets me to say "it's ready."

Remember the KickMaster FX chain from the last release? It was part of a pair, with the other half being a dedicated Rapture-based kick drum instrument called KickStart. However at the last minute I decided to make some additions to KickStart with two additional kick samples, and create presets for those. But KickMaster was ready, so it was released even though it was supposed to be part of a pair.

The other thing is that some content has to be included in an installer. It's more efficient to write one installer a month that encompasses everything than write an installer every week or even more frequently, for taking content as soon as it's finished.

The monthly concept may seem arbitrary, but development is always happening. Bugs are always been worked on, so you can just pick a date and include all the bugs that happened since the last release. I think people might get impatient with having to download a new version of SONAR every time there's a bug fix.

Also, part of the monthly pace is to give people a reasonable amount of stuff to absorb each month. Others might disagree but I feel the amount included in each release is just about right - enough to add value, not so much as to be overwhelming.

So there are tradeoffs regardless of whether things are released when felt to be ready, rolled up in a monthly release, or sat on for a year and included in a big yearly update. The monthly cadence seems to be the best "sweet spot" between more frequent and less frequent updates.

However, I am very glad you like the content enough that you want to get it immediately!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 12:05:42 (permalink)
I do appreciate all the bits and therefores.

And fur shur it is better than what we used to have to do.

And, I understand the need to allow the stuff ferment properly.

But, it would be nice to have some stuff randomly, not waiting for the monthly edition.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 15:37:58 (permalink)
Who cares about May. The BIG pay off will be December 2015, likely New Years eve. Think about it. Most of us signed up for our annual subscriptions this January and will be deciding if we want to give it a break or stick with it, next January. Last day of December this year I'd expect a major carrot to be dropped in the hopes that the annual folks sign up for 2016.

I know I'm cynical, but I'd bet on it. If not December 2015 then January 2016, personal jet packs, oh ya.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 15:49:09 (permalink)
ampfixer
Who cares about May. The BIG pay off will be December 2015, likely New Years eve. Think about it. Most of us signed up for our annual subscriptions this January and will be deciding if we want to give it a break or stick with it, next January. Last day of December this year I'd expect a major carrot to be dropped in the hopes that the annual folks sign up for 2016.

I know I'm cynical, but I'd bet on it. If not December 2015 then January 2016, personal jet packs, oh ya.

If history is a guide, the carrot will be vague promises about a "big surprise" to be announced. That would also make economic sense: You don't give away the incentive before you have a commitment from the customer. I guess this makes me even more cynical than you.
post edited by Larry Jones - 2015/05/26 15:55:52

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 16:46:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2015/05/26 16:56:02
ampfixer

Hmmm...I wouldn't bet too much on it. I think the idea has always been that people would look back over the past year and think they got enough Kool Stuph to make renewal worthwhile. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if a pre-renewal email went out in December that lists what was received...people forget sometimes 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: What Sonar goodies do we have coming for the month of May? 2015/05/26 17:54:36 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Nothing is coming in May.

Which is good.

I am tired of this 30 insanity.

I thought we would get updates as available. Not always as roll-ups.

Not sure what 30 insanity is.

I don't think QA could keep up with more than one update a month, I still wish there were two releases though each month.
1) Stability release (same as the previous months new features build, but with fixes).
2) New features release (same as stability release (1) with new features).

Sonar customers could then choose which build to install (reliability vs functionality).

+100. Makes perfect sense.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1