Steps by Annelle

Author
Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
2015/05/25 20:17:49 (permalink)

Steps by Annelle

Hello everyone!
It's been sometime since I have posted anything here.  Been busy with a new Job and the Ol' usual routine of life.

I recently had the pleasure of meeting a very talented young lady through a Church ministry.  Annelle is a Seventeen year old Christian Singer & Song Writer.  She is an incredible example of pure Raw talent.  Not only does she have a really nice voice but what really amazes me is her natural ability to write incredible lyrics.

After having a brief conversation with Annelle, I discovered that she is trying to find her way into the Christian music scene and has been playing anywhere she has an open door to perform.  During our discussion she indicated she was trying to develop some Demos of her songs.  So I thought I would lend a hand.

Below is a link to the first of three songs I will be recording for Annelle.  This song is entitled "Steps".  Please offer some feedback on the mix and if you choose your impressions of Annelle's singing, Piano playing and Songwriting skills. 

Thanks guys!  It's great being able to post again.

Regards,
Richard

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13131405&q=hi&newref=1
post edited by Psalmist35 - 2015/05/26 23:11:43

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music

6 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/25 23:38:00 (permalink)
    She has a really good voice, and the piano is lovely. I found myself wanting just a bit more reverb on her voice, it's pretty dry here.

As far as the song goes, the simplicity is great but I was wanting some other instruments to kick in. Maybe that's not what you intend for this particular song, but I can hear she has a voice that won't be easily swamped by a more complicated arrangement.

nice one!
     -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/26 10:33:15 (permalink)
    Really talented girl! The mix is good as a simple track to show her raw talent, but as Tom said , there is plenty of room to make the mix something more and she would have no trouble sitting over it in the mix. I understand you're doing her a kind of favor? If so, then I can see where time and money come into play as well.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/26 14:45:18 (permalink)
    Obviously a talented young lady with a really good voice.  Personally I would like to hear her projecting a little bit more, kind of like she started doing at around 3:00... she has the voice for it.
    Psalmist35
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/26 23:29:32 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen.  I appreciate this.

@ Tom: Regarding the reverb, I was exercising restraint!  I tend to be a bit heavy handed when it comes to reverb.  
    I would agree that the song is screaming out for more instrumentation.  Unfortunately, I am being conservative with my time at the moment.   I have two more songs to record and finding the time to do even this has been a bit of a challenge.  However, if time allows I may take a stab at putting down some strings and ask a buddy of mine to allow me to record him playing drums.  What I would really like to hear on the song is a real Cello part.  Anyone here play Cello?  If memory serves correctly I believe Paul plays Cello.  I haven't been here in a while and I don't even know if Paul even frequents this place anymore.

@ Starise:  I agree, more instrumentation.  Maybe I will find some time!

@ Philz:  To Annelle's credit, she have never really recorded herself outside of maybe a recording done with a cell phone and a video here and there.  Like me, she is learning how and what to listen for.  We did two vocal takes.  The first of which was very pitchy.  After some discussion we did the second take and the pitch issues were far better however, she was holding back on her delivery.  I actually liked the song starting on the more emotional/broken delivery.  Yet, I agree it needed a more "in your face" delivery throughout the remainder of the song.

In short, I have done a total remix.  I went back and used the 1st take (Yes, unfortunately this means pitch correction) and adjusted the reverb.  The link to this mix is below.

Thanks again everyone.
    Richard

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13132374&q=hi&newref=1

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    Psalmist35
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/28 16:36:00 (permalink)
    Shameless bump!

My Music
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Steps by Annell 2015/05/29 01:20:11 (permalink)
    good job all the way round...her voice is a bit dry....a bit of verb would go a long way here....but yea...great job...she is very good!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1