Latency and KONTAKT

Author
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2015/05/26 23:21:41 (permalink)

Latency and KONTAKT

I am a heavy KONTAKT user for sampled instruments.  I recently started to use more REAL INSTRUMENTS and depend less on KONTAKT.  I have noticed that my latency in recording new tracks appears to be much better than when KONTAKT is loaded.  I was thinking that the UA plugins was the culprit but even with those active, the latency is nowhere as bad as it is when I have KONTAKT loaded.

Anybody else notice this and if true, I think I need to check the buffer sizes in my KONTAKT plugin... perhaps they are too high?

Not sure but thought I would mention this if others are experiencing some latency issues trying to record with plugins enabled.

I am a bit stunned by this but not complaining.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)

2 Replies Related Threads

gbarrett
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    Re: Latency and KONTAKT 2015/05/26 23:30:00 (permalink)
    Kontakt can be a huge resource hog. If I plan to use any heavy sampler, I record the live stuff first then come back to the samplers, i.e. use the Cakewalk TTS instruments to track then replace with Kontakt.

A real musician knows the difference between the music and the notes.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Latency and KONTAKT 2015/05/27 02:38:44 (permalink)
    gbarrett
    Kontakt can be a huge resource hog. If I plan to use any heavy sampler, I record the live stuff first then come back to the samplers, i.e. use the Cakewalk TTS instruments to track then replace with Kontakt.

That's something I must try. I get easily obsessed By the sound and want to record using the desired/final patch, but I guess I can avoid quite a few small problems using TTS-1 first.

And, as mentioned about Kontakt, many of its libraries and instruments are really heavy. Can't be compared to
    plain audio recording. And plugins in general have gotten hungrier in the same pace as the CPU power has increased,
    so it doesn't require any effort to find VSTs that make even a powerfull machine stumble if the projects structure and workflow are not  resource-friendly.

I'm sure some of todays VSTs require more CPU and memory than the whole DAW did 10-15 years ago.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1