iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe)

Author
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
2015/05/19 11:06:48 (permalink)

iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe)

In the June 2015 issue of Recording, on page 48, there is a short article on the iConnect Midi +4 and they mention the iConnect Audio +4 is just being released. These allow midi and audio to be freely exchanged between multiple computers-PC-MAC-iOS.

This means the end of the one ASIO device limit, unless I totally don't get what I'm reading! LOL
In this thread a CW forum user had some issues with the Midi +4, but that's all I've seen so far and I would like to know more!
Here's that thread
http://forum.cakewalk.com/solved-Export-Problems-in-X3-m3053800.aspx

Check it out and chime in, please.
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc

7 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/19 11:54:00 (permalink)
    I wish I'd had something like that when I was making the transition from my old computer to the new one and still working on both. My Focusrite interface has two Firewire ports, which might suggest you could hook it up to two computers, but sadly that is not the case. It's just for daisy-chaining two interfaces.

Too bad this new interface has only 4 audio channels. But at $300 I guess you could get two. Here's the product page.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    pentimentosound
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/19 13:11:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave. I've been busy with other stuff this morning and hadn't gone to their site yet, so that's very handy!
    I'm putting off getting a new interface, while I redo my desk and rewire my whole rig. Even though I have the funds stashed, I'm not in a hurry. The form factor is starting to seem more important. I want as much of the cabling behind it and would prefer the guitar/line (s) in front with 2 phones with volumes, so I find myself leaning towards the Focusrite 18i20, even though there are better RTL units, like the MOTU AVB ultralite (that Jim Roseberry pointed me to). I want more lines in than mic preamps, since I like my outboard units, but I'd like to have all my keyboard DI's and xlr out type guitar pedals plugged in and all ready to go, whenever I want.
    Which I/O and what kind of RTL do you get?
    I'm watching their tut videos now...
    Michael

reactorstudios
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/25 14:46:17 (permalink)
    Since the thread referenced is mine, I guess I'd better chime in.
    A year later, the iConnectMidi4+ is an awesome device, for MIDI, only. I have the audio pass-thru feature disabled.
    iConnectivity did not release an audio driver for the device. Instead, they recommend use of ASIO4ALL. While that driver works fine when only using the ICM4+, it's promise of aggregating various audio devices is still just that (for me). ASIO4ALL doesn't work well when aggregating my Focusrite 18i20 and the ICM4+. The Focusrite really needs to be using it's own ASIO driver, and it can't do that under ASIO4ALL.
    The ICM4+ excels at MIDI. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro, my main Windows 7 Pro studio desktop, iPad 1, iPad Air, two DSI Mopho's, Nord Lead 2x, Waldorf Q, CZ-5000, Electribe-A, and (3) controller keyboards all configured through the ICM4+, and all can pass midi back-and-forth without special accommodation. I regularly use my nord as a controller for Arturia's iPad apps. My Macbook and iPads are configured to talk to the ICM4+ across my wireless network and experiences zero latency (for practical purposes).
    The Configuration software that iConnectivity provides has a dreadful UI and is painfully incomprehensible. However, once you figure it out (hours of effort and a lot of trial and error), you can find tune your device communication channels in myriad ways.  The software also will either not open or regularly crashes when I have any software that uses one of the configured devices running.  The version of the configuration utility that is available for the iPad is far easier to use (though still awful to look at) and never crashes.

Now, the new beast: the iConnectAudio, has it's own drivers, so you need not go the ASIO4ALL route. While the device can be tapped simultaneously by drivers running on both your Mac and Windows machines, it cannot run alongside other audio interfaces on your windows machine. You would still need ASIO4ALL for multiple interface aggregation on Windows machines. OSX, of course, doesn't suffer this problem. I'm holding out hope that Windows 10 will include driver aggregation.

Back to the OPs query: The iConnectAudio does not allow for multiple interfaces to be connected to one computer, but it does allow for one interface (itself) to be connected to multiple computers.

Finally, to the OP, I cannot recommend the 18i20 highly enough. Your rationale for considering it matches mine precisely. I've had it about 18 months now. The mic pres sound every bit as good as the ones on my dedicated and far more expensive Focusrite preamp. Everything you need to control it is right on the front panel, including a power switch. Why do so many companies put the power switch on the back, if it has one at all? I digress. It never needs troubleshooting of any kind. I can easily swap the USB cable between my mac and windows machines and everything registers correctly within seconds. I'd say it's second only to my Nord Lead on the awesome scale.

reactor.
    Sonar Platinum, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10

pentimentosound
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/25 15:05:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Ken. That was quite "calming". LOL
    I just bought an 18i20 and am trying to decide whether to get a mixer or add an OctoPre to it(when it arrives).
    Since I tend to do drums or keys, I suppose a midi switcher might suffice. I would like to leave my keyboards plugged into the I/O and the mixer would allow that plus some insert options. I might do both....
    Michael
    reactorstudios
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/27 00:35:29 (permalink)
    Michael,
    If I were regularly recording drums I'd already have the OctoPre. I don't do a whole lot of live micing, though, so the two front panel inuts on the 18i20 are just fine for now. My setup is mostly hardware synths and effects. I gave up on the notion of having them all wired to daw inputs simultaneously. Instead, I run everything to patch bays, lots of patch bays.

reactor.
    Sonar Platinum, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10

pentimentosound
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/27 10:07:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, a Mackie 1402vlz4 and a patchbay might be the first steps I take and give me some options that I want, like being able to patch my WA-76 into any of my 4 mic pre's. I have a line on a patchbay that a friend is selling, but he hasn't given me a price nor info on how many/what kind of patch cables he has, yet. I used to have 2 Neutrik's and miss the flexibility of them. I've been mixer-less for quite a while (wow! 10 years) and know the advantages of that scenario, coming from 4 track Teac+mixer side of things in the mid '70's.
        An ISA One ADC digital out card will allow me to use the 18i20's S/PDIF, yet that's another $400, too. The bigger issue is space. I hate giving up rack space (I've got plans! LOL) to the OctoPre, but where to put the Mackie might even be more of a trick!
        I have a bunch of gear to sell and fund these steps, though I was planning to "trade them" so I can upgrade/
    update my 1999 Kurzweil K2500, but first things first, eh? I do things "one at a time" mostly, myself, though that can mean 4-6 inputs at once depending on what I'm doing.

Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: iConnect Midi and Audio +4 will change the one ASIO device limit soon, (maybe) 2015/05/29 08:49:44 (permalink)
    I am another user of the ICM4+ and also use it midi only.. From a midi perspective it is like a grown up Motu micro xpress in that it is a standalone midi router for non PC use so has many applications, not least of which is slaving a iPad into a desktop system.
    One particular feature that is very impressive is the midi filtering, which is very useful when dealing with synths that have different CC maps.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1