What methods do you folks use for sandboxing?

Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
2015/05/26 19:35:47 (permalink)

What methods do you folks use for sandboxing?

I am finding a distinct rift between sandboxing ideas (song composition) and tracking, which is requiring two different project files for me thus far. Matrix View has been helpful for song sections by column, but I have run into hurdles with MIDI that has been rather frustrating. The song section part has become indispensable for sandboxing, so I continue to path down the MV route (for audio), but then think I may be recreating the wheel, as it were.

I am curious what methods others are using for fleshing out to give me a new perspective on work flows others default to.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.

23 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 03:47:44 (permalink)
    A good question, and I'll see where this leads...

I'm still doing stuff they way I always have, for many years now, and I've never bothered to try new ideas and techniques. Which is probably why I have a ton of eight/sixteen bar projects still not progressed any further.

Sorry I can't help... I more in need of help myself 

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 07:47:39 (permalink)
    I used to have a similar problem. I had lots of short...one verse or one chorus song ideas that were never finished. I used a note pad, then started using Cakewalk and ended up with a similar number of unfinished ideas.  There was no way to get and try new ideas with ease. It was easier to start again and so I ended up not writing many tunes but starting lots of ideas.

That changed when I found Band in A Box. Once you understand what it is and how it works, it's the best songwriting tool I have found. It's so easy to edit, paste, delete and swap things in and out.... change keys in seconds... try that one in a DAW with audio tracks, change tempo, change styles, change instruments....all in a matter of a few seconds.   Wanna add a prechorus? Insert 8 measures. The cool thing is the BB files are rather small and if you don't like the song idea, you can shelve it in a folder and not worry that you're eating up hard drive space with junk. 

Of course, BiaB excels with some kinds of music and not so much with others. If you write EDM and trailer music, don't bother. If you write country, rock, and other similar styles, it's worth a look.

I have been using it for practically 100% of my songwriting since 2009 when I first bought it. Listen to the music on my website page link.....most of the songs on there are BB compositions. It's a great songwriting tool, not to mention what you can do with it's companion program....real band.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    synkrotron
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 09:30:37 (permalink)
    I've heard of Band in a Box, for sure, and I knew someone once, many years ago that used it, but I was already using Cakewalk by then and didn't fancy learning another new "toy." I couldn't remember what it was like so I've just googled it and pulled up a couple of videos.

That looks like a really handy tool. I understand where you're coming from regarding not being so useful for some kinds of music, but this would help me to mess around with chord progressions and also a backing for guitar practise.

The thing that puts me off is, it ain't cheap... especially once you get into the additional content (realtracks and what have you).

A tough call really, because I am sure that it would help me, even though I produce electronic music...

Thanks for pointing that out 

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    mettelus
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 11:25:38 (permalink)
    Thank you for that input. I took a look at a couple of those videos as well, and the ability to dynamically adjust chords is rather slick on how it is implemented. I didn't see a demo for it though (may not be one), but that workflow seems a lot quicker and more to the point than what I have been doing. One issue I am having with Matrix View is that "MIDI Learn" seems to only come from a hardware controller; if this could be linked to a VST MIDI out/through I might be set (I cannot get this to work... but AD2 accepts "MIDI Learn" from an enabled MIDI output on a VST).

@synkrotron, they offer crossgrades which are $10 more than people who upgraded from 2014 ($20 more if it is a version with a disk drive). I only saw these on the pgmusic site itself (the crossgrades are the same as upgrades from 2013). Their version of crossgrade is a Mac <-> PC version, not a competitive crossgrade (the original info was misleading).
    post edited by mettelus - 2015/05/27 19:32:40

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    orangesporanges
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 11:50:39 (permalink)
    BIAB is a great tool for hearing what you have written realized in more of a band/combo format. It can be great inspiration for understanding what is missing and what might work. I often will take my BIAB files and dump them right into Sonar, where you can edit to our heart's content. My favorite way of working with it is to set up my basic ideas and rehearse with it, especially when I'm writing a bass part or keyboard part(neither of which is my primary instrument.) You have to know when to get it into Sonar though, because trying to manipulate styles can be a little tedious in BIAB. 
    Bottom line though, is BIAB is insanely simple for what results you get, and usually the parts are fairly well arranged. It will not write a song for you, you still have to provide intelligent chords for it, but it's a great way of testing a bunch of chords and see which work and have a "band" follow right along with it.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 12:25:59 (permalink)
    BIAB combined with ToonTracks EZKeys (and the multitude of MIDI packs for it) are heaven sent for those lacking a cadre of musicians.

I've used both with a fair degree of success in more than a few songs now. 
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 14:18:36 (permalink)
    When I've done this in the past I kind of do it in such a rudimentary and ridiculous way that it might be laughable.

Want I do is I'll drag in some drum loops or tap out some drum loops on my padKontrol that fit some of the rudimentary riffs I want to use in the song. I try to make sure that those drum parts aren't too hyper specific so they'll fit over anything I might add on (and if I go too far astray I'll find more appropriate loops or create more of my own). Those all get turned into short Groove Clips and I drag them way down the timeline so they are out of my working area (so I may start off thinking the song will be 3-4 minutes and then drag them to the 5-6 minute mark of the MIDI drum track).

I may also do that with some bass stuff but I usually do the guitar first and really adding a third track just makes things more complicated. However a bassline/riff clip can be linked to specific guit clips for easy editing/structuring.

So as I write the riffs I simply copy/drag the appropriate loop to the appropriate spot. Because they are "Grooves" I can drag them out/in/edit them as far as the riff need.

In the guit track I'll record little riff chunks into the lanes then trim them to beat/measure markers.

Now a I can just drag the riffs and beats around until I get a structure going and insert new/distinct riffs or tags or whatever as needed. All my drum parts are off screen and if I've got a riff that I kind of want to use but it ain't fitting in properly I can drag that off screen. Actually I could copy/drag all the riff clips off screen underneath the drum clips they work with to do easy Ctrl + Select + Drag of sections but I haven't really needed to do that yet.

So really the arse end of my project ends up a clip/beat/riff depository and I write into and build up the song on the timeline before that. If the song starts getting too long I can just Lasso all the source clips and drag them further down the timeline to get them out of the way.

Obviously the more tracks/instruments invloved this process gets more complex but I have always preferred writing with just the guitar and drums first to get the structure and then wrapping/writing everything around that.

We really should have that "Block" style editing I keep hearing so much about in other DAWs though the seems to essentially allow you to segment a project vertically into columns that you can select and move/copy/etc and hopefully deselect elements from. That to me would be an excellent songwriting workflow.

Cheers.
    synkrotron
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 15:02:54 (permalink)
    mettelus
    @synkrotron, they offer crossgrades which are $10 more than people who upgraded from 2014 ($20 more if it is a version with a disk drive). I only saw these on the pgmusic site itself (the crossgrades are the same as upgrades from 2013).

Thanks for pointing that out mettelus.

I've had a look at that and it's $79 for a "crossgrade."

I just don't understand how the crossgrade works...

mettelus
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/27 19:26:04 (permalink)
    I am glad you asked that, since every company has different renditions of what "crossgrade" means! I actually used their LIVE chat feature for 2 questions:
    1. Demo - Nope.
    2. Crossgrade (to them) - users switching between Mac <-> PC versions. This does not include a competitive crossgrade.

synkrotron
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/05/28 01:19:44 (permalink)
    Ah, Right, so which ever way you cook it, we are "first timers" and have to pay the full hit.

I'm currently waiting for my next credit card bill to see how much my latest GAS stint has cost me, so I won't be buying BIAB just yet 

Guitarhacker
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/01 08:05:20 (permalink)
    When you decide to buy Band In A Box.... buy as far up the version chain as you can buy. Ultra plus pack as a minimum or the Everything Pack..... Stop short of the Audiophile version. You really don't need that version unless you absolutely have the money and want it.  The Everything pack is exactly what it says.... it's everything. Could be considered a bit pricy BUT..... pay for a good session with some Nashville pickers and you could have bought the Everything pack and had those guys on call for all your music.  Real tracks are recordings of the best of the best studio and working musicians recorded in such a way that the program takes those recordings and somehow.... don't ask me how it does it, shapes that playing into the song YOU are asking it to play..... in the key you chose, at the tempo you selected, and in the style you like.

The further up you go, the more stuff you get and that includes ALL of the real tracks.   I use Real Tracks and the Real Drum Tracks exclusively in my musical compositions. 100% audio files. The real tracks are simply amazing.  Compose it in Band in a Box and then render the real tracks in Real Band.   RB is a DAW of sorts but I never use it for that. I simply use it to generate the real track waves.   When done right, the result is breathtaking.

If you have not done so..... go to my music site below and listen to some of the songs on the first page. Everything there is either 100% BB/RB with the Real Tracks or a combination of RT's and my live guitar playing combined. I mix, produce, edit, and export the finals from SONAR.  Look for a song called The Best Christmas..... this one is a great example of Real Tracks playing a hot country solo. Nothing in that song was played live. It's 100% BB/RB.

They are starting to add dance music and electronic genres and styles to the RT's so there may be some things in there to get you going in that style/genre. Euro-tech, Enya, etc....

BMI/NSAI

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/01 16:29:27 (permalink)
    It's worth knowing that Donald Fagen - one of the greatest songwriters of all time - uses BIAB these days for composing and arranging and communicating his song structures to band members. That's a pretty solid endorsement.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    mettelus
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/01 18:28:03 (permalink)
    BIAB is definitely on the radar but not given up on SONAR yet. I rarely make project templates, but finding MV (audio) and TTS-1 (midi) makes a pretty decent sandbox. MidiChords actually does nicely for chord duties with programs set up, and Geist is actually doing much of the MIDI driving ("Cambridge" no-likey Geist in case you missed that post sharke, FYI).

@Guitarhacker, I have listened to your page before and love the work you have done there. A definite endorsement for BIAB. The stuff to be completed on my plate ATM should be simple when I finalize that template (famous last words, I know).

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/02 21:33:13 (permalink)
    sharke
    It's worth knowing that Donald Fagen - one of the greatest songwriters of all time - uses BIAB these days for composing and arranging and communicating his song structures to band members. That's a pretty solid endorsement.

I'd say so.... do you have a link that can back that up at all?

That alone would make me revisit BIAB. The last version I owned was back in the late 90's.... it's not very good and actually stifles creativity with bad patterns. (the concept was great though...)
    post edited by codamedia - 2015/06/02 21:41:41

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/02 21:47:51 (permalink)
    One thing I have learned over the years, is that everything is a sandbox

At this time I try to get a thought in my head.... then I load up my DAW and try and find an EZ Drummer pattern and sound that fits. From there I play around until I get something I like. At that point, I will start a new song to try and nail it down. Sometimes I get it in one song.... sometimes it take a few more, which means some of those earlier songs were just "sand boxes"...

Mark Knopfler was once asked in a guitar player mag interview if he ever listened to his albums and wished he had done something differently. His response was "everything". Apparently, the "Brothers in Arms" CD was a sand box

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/02 21:54:26 (permalink)
    What's wrong with having more Sonar song files?

I use Save As a lot if I head down a different path or want to save off a branch idea.

I use Save As a lot to save revisions as I move through putting together one song. I never know when I might want to back up a step or more.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/02 23:34:52 (permalink)
    I guess we from the UK Sandpit

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/03 10:22:17 (permalink)
    I guess in the past I've liked to use two separate applications (Audacity). Record a single stereo file with two mic inputs, one for my voice and the other for guitar or piano, and work out some basic concepts there before I start really writing.

I also generally do ALL of my "scratch tracking" and idea-generation right in the same file I'll be using for the final product, so there's that. 
    post edited by davdud101 - 2015/06/03 11:08:51

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    notscruffy1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/03 16:01:31 (permalink)
    OK Guitarhacker, for some reason I said why not and have purchased Band In A Box Everything Pak. The good news is they (PG Music) honor sale prices from valid vendors and sold me the pak for 349 us.  that was a savings from 569. The price I sent a link to for them to honor was download only with no HD. They are sending an HD and download code any way, because they are Canadian and they are all so nice up there.

This is all your fault. However it works out.

amk

Gene
    Berhinger FCA-1616 now on FW
    AMD 6 core 8 meg ram 1T HD
    Impluse 61 AZ Controller
    Plat
    sharke
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/03 19:11:50 (permalink)
    codamedia
    sharke

I'd say so.... do you have a link that can back that up at all?

That alone would make me revisit BIAB. The last version I owned was back in the late 90's.... it's not very good and actually stifles creativity with bad patterns. (the concept was great though...)

Can't find it unfortunately - I did think I had read it in an online article or interview, but come to think of it he may have mentioned it in his book Eminent Hipsters. But I am absolutely 100% sure that I read it. He was talking about how the tracks came together for Sunken Condos.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/04 00:39:37 (permalink)
    One process I try to stay open to is mistakes. As in, playing out a chord progression and messing up, but liking the mess up. I quickly jot down what I did (wrong) for playing around with in a couple of minutes. Or sometimes, if I'm recording, I'll grab the errant clip and stash it way at the end of the timeline. Actually, I've started to dragging clips right off to a folder in the browser. This is a new way of working, don't recall exactly when Sonar started supporting it, so I'm trying to work it into my routine.

Reading about the successes with BiaB above made me give it a look-see, that process sounded neat and fast. But after a while I realized I wouldn't be making mistakes, wouldn't be "close enough" to the notes (fingers on keys or strings or holes or skins), so that route won't fly for me. I don't want fast that bad.

I've dabbled with the matrix view. Kind of like it sometimes. I can use some of those clips I've dragged off (mentioned above) and mash them together. I don't view matrix as an end product. Well, mostly. But it's a fun creative.

Related to matrix, a trick I've found for playing around is to drag a clip into an empty Dim Pro instance. Then I can instantly transpose it, from the keyboard or from Matrix view. I'm using DP as a sampler, and I know there are better, but it's right there and it works.

I do a lot of extended jamming to get ideas, sessions lasting from ten to 30 minutes. Sometimes they're fun, sometimes they're pure drudgery, but a writing teacher told me once to "write every day, even if it's crap" and that has worked for me. (It's a funny thing, I can look back at these jams and see "periods" in my life. Funny or creepy, sort of like Krapp's Last Tape.) One thing I've learned, or--more like it--come to terms with over the years is to jam to a click (metronome). I know, I know, I hate it sometimes too. But I've found that an idea set to a "legitimate" beat is way easier to transpose to a piece than one that floats around. So the steady ideas get worked on and move forward, while the ethereal ideas just sort of stay that way and take up drive space. I jam to a click, it's a trade-off.

One more idea (for today at least). When I "sandbox" or improvise or jam or whatever, I typically use two or three soft synths at a time (controlled by one keyboard or the midi guitar), to get a BIG sound. Well, maybe not only big, just a lot of frequency, lows, highs, breathy, choppy, ethereal (_that_ word again), cinematic, whatever. It's like hearing an orchestra (in a vague new-age-y sense) and I think it helps the juices of creativity. Sometimes I use reverb, sometimes not. No reverb encourages faster articulation, I find, and different results.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    Guitarhacker
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/07 08:28:58 (permalink)
    notscruffy1
    OK Guitarhacker, for some reason I said why not and have purchased Band In A Box Everything Pak. The good news is they (PG Music) honor sale prices from valid vendors and sold me the pak for 349 us.  that was a savings from 569. The price I sent a link to for them to honor was download only with no HD. They are sending an HD and download code any way, because they are Canadian and they are all so nice up there.

This is all your fault. However it works out.

amk

You will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Also.... in another post... BIAB is definitely on the radar but not given up on SONAR yet.   Don't give up on Sonar..... it's a critical final step in my work process. Compose in BB..... render waves in RB..... mix in X1
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2015/06/07 08:35:16

BMI/NSAI

sharke
    Re: What methods do you folks use for sandboxing? 2015/06/07 19:17:13 (permalink)
    Well it turns out I was talking bollocks about Donald Fagan and BIAB. Turns out he actually uses GarageBand to sketch out and arrange ideas! I guess somewhere down the line my brain sneakily changed the memory to Band In A Box. 

James
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1