Helpful ReplyUpdated Midi Chord Plug in

Author
Scoot
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
2014/11/27 23:02:07 (permalink)
4.94 (34)

Updated Midi Chord Plug in

Seems Cubase has some sort of Chord tool, I don't use cubase so I don't know it's functionality, but we only have a the problematic Chord Analyzer.

It would be nice not to forget midi, and progress this side of Sonar. Chord Structures are the foundation of music. With plug ins such as Midi chords, where a single not cane be used to play complex chord voicings, and aid experimenting with fuller sounding performances. Here's a basic image of it set up in Sonar

You simply press a note, then assign it the chord you want, you can copy that shape, press another note, and it paste the shape and it relates to the new note. Transpose it semitones or octaves (You can't invert or open and close voicing, but other than that it's very intuitive and flexible . Check out this guy, he has 4 running at the same time, and performing just one note at a time, creates stunning pieces. SO one note, 4 instances of the plug, a stack of synths, and a rich ensemble result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ar_3nGx2w

Then there is EXKeys, and it's circle of fifths tool, which allow you to change chords (not on the fly), to different keys, or experiment with adding and droping intervals, invert chords. Still no open a voicing, close a voicing (which seem more important if you are higher and lower on the keyboard). Some of the Chord recognition is dodgy, such as having, labelling a inversion with the new bass note correctly. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_1BgtA_lvo

So what am I asking for.
A chord tool, that can:
Trigger users definable chords
Trigger to have a a mono or poly input, so playing a c can trigger a C7+9, or playing a CMaj Triad, could trigger a C7+9, and a CminTriad and Cm7+9
A chord suggestion tool, so clicking would create the the chord, instead of having to enter the notes manually, such as the circle of fifths tool
An inversion tool, that renames the chord to show the new bass note
A Voicing tool, to open and close voicings.
A way that  when the sequence has been made, and is playing, the midi plug in can be manipulated to find new chords and voicings on the fly.

I think a comprehensive tool like this doesn't exist, (although I don't know the cubase tool, and if cubase has one, we should) and will allow the Sonar user base to expand its sonic potential, allowing beginners to gain confidence and apply music theory, and advanced player to take things further

Anyone with experience of other tool, please add ideas

post edited by Scoot - 2015/05/31 12:48:04

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2014/12/06 14:17:42 (permalink)
+5 (5)
The chord track in cubase is pretty cool.. ai tend to name clips using the chord sequences they contain so that would br helpful.. interactive clip content would be very interesting...
SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2014/12/14 13:49:35 (permalink)
+6 (6)
I wholeheartedly agree with this.  I looked with envious eyes on the chord feature in the latest Cubase. 

For someone who barely justifies the term musician, something like this that suggests chord progressions is inspirational gold dust!

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2014/12/14 15:19:00 (permalink)
+5 (5)
I just caught this on my phone and agree wholeheartedly. Another aspect which fits well for a DAW would be the ability to simply select chords (no controller required), and have those notes inserted into a MIDI track. Once inserted, being able to select a chord and adjust its inversion or duration (while adjusting material in the track to open/close gaps) would allow users to create a full song quickly for modification. Almost like a "block module" overlay to the PRV, allowing for adjustment of each block separately, and when completed could be exitted to create the MIDI track for further editing by existing methods.

Edit - At its most rudimentary level, a UI where the user could choose key, then drag/drop blocks into a song matrix and choose bar length based on a snap-to-grid concept. Once dropped, lengths, inversions, and chord variations could be chosen by selecting a block (and blocks would immediately shift to either make room or remove gaps). If the UI allowed playing through a VST, this would allow for generic song creation. Once exited, the song would be written as MIDI data to the track. This tool would most likely have to be disabled when exited, as a script to reenter it to modify exiting data would be far more complex. I.e., this would be a tool for song creation only.

Edit: I logged into my computer so I could vote for the OP and embellish the description (typing on a phone sucks). This particular feature is one where I wish I had kept up with my programming hobby, as I would take the time to write this one myself.
post edited by mettelus - 2014/12/14 15:33:20

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Spencer
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/01/16 01:56:19 (permalink)
+3 (3)
While it is certainly completely unacceptable to bundle broken utilities with Sonar such as the chord analyzer, and they need to fix it yesterday, if MIDI Chords does the job and works well with Sonar, isn't that good enough? It's a free plugin after all.

Within sonar what you can do currently is set up some key binds to the Chord CAL scripts and use them on your single notes in the piano roll. I think it's pretty quick and suitably creative. Don't forget that you can also use Snap to Scale on your midi track.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/01/16 02:12:46 (permalink)
+4 (4)
I think Midi chords can be improved on. For a start I'd like to see it as a midi plug not a vst plug. The creating of cords in combination of the circle of fifths. Manipulation of voicings, so lower voicing could be more open, and getting more and more closed up the keyboard.

I use midi chords a lot, but it could be developed. Maybe something more integrated rather than a plug, so you can plan out you chords sequence better, such as the exkeys in the second part of the post.

MIDI seems neglected, and it forms for many of us the foundation of our composition tools. The latest teaks to midi are minimal, just miner enhancements to what exists.

There seems to be a fuss over how cubase plays with chords and song structure with their latest release. As I posted originally, I haven't used it, but maybe some one who has can enlighten us. A combinations of these feature into one creative tool could make many of us progress our musical ideas and understanding.

Snap to scale is something I'd like to get away from, as many chord sequences introduce notes outside of a scale, whilst still being in the original key.

To VOTE, click on the 5 stars on the first post.
post edited by Kamikaze - 2015/01/23 09:18:18

Spencer
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/01/16 13:50:00 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Kamikaze
Snap to scale is something I'd like to get away from, as many chord sequences introduce notes outside of a scale, whilst still being in the original key.

Yeah this is certainly true for the melodic minor scale as well as merged natural/harmonic minor and they should really improve on that and make it more dynamic, allowing composition in hybrid scales more easily. For major scales though unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can have chord notes outside of the scale.
Kamikaze
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/01/17 01:09:21 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Nah, notes outside the scale is common in mucis in a major key, not just melodic notes either. Take C Major with the common chords C7, F7, G7. Well the dominant 7th of C is Bb, so there's one, yet the Major third of G is is B. The the Dominant 7th of F is Eb, yet the Major third E, so there are 2 notes there in a simple 3 chord progression. As soon as you add any harmonic complexity you'll have more notes outside of the Major Scale with 9th, 11ths etc. This is the cool thing about EZKeys, is that it shows the related chords, but lets you experiment intuitively with more harmonic colours. Breaking free from a Modal approach to building chords, that fit to scale creates.

This is why I believe Cake should develop the composition tools, they are currently lacking

kuipkema
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/01/23 07:31:00 (permalink)
+4 (4)
It would indeed be nice if we could get some chord tools for composition, always good for inspiration.
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/27 13:51:25 (permalink)

Kamikaze
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/27 21:21:01 (permalink)
+4 (4)
It does pat of it (as well as add an arp function) but it doesn't have a number of things I would like to see, such as a circle of 5th tool, and voicing and root notes changes. I'm thinking of somethingt more comprehensive. From my OP

So what am I asking for.
A chord tool, that can:
Trigger to have a a mono or poly input, so playing a c can trigger a C7+9, or playing a CMaj Triad, could trigger a C7+9, and a CminTriad and Cm7+9
A chord suggestion tool, so clicking would create the the chord, instead of having to enter the notes manually, such as the circle of fifths tool
A way that  when the sequence has been made, and is playing, the midi plug in can be manipulated to find new chords and voicings on the fly.

I'll create a mock up at some point to show my idea further. I Also thought more recently of a a right hand left hand split point, that could be moved, and then the two parts could be sent out to two different midi tracks. Meaning Arps could be played on one hand, whilst the other plays clusters, as you see pianist do, or even two different arps being plays by each hand. Such as when you see the left hand plays a simple 2-3 note bass pattern, whilst the right a complex patterns over a larger range 

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/27 21:42:36 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I use the Chord wheel hard copy, and when I went to get the link, I found they do an iPhone app.

http://www.chordwheel.com/

Kamikaze
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/27 22:02:04 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I made up a variation of a circle of fifths wheel years back, they I always keep with me (I actually took with me when I was travelling Asia to Vietnam). It's simply a coloured circle of fifths with an inner circle aligned to the relative minor. If I had the graphic program then that I do now, I would have added an outer circle with the key signature (being they are the same for major an relative minor) with the staff lines running around it concentrically, rather than straight lines.

I loved the way that EZKeys then implemented the same circle of fifths with a relative minor. And extended it with note suggestions. This really encourages different meaningful chords creations. And so easy on the fly.    

kson
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 540
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/29 13:55:17 (permalink)
+5 (5)
I do agree with this post and have requested a "Chord Track" type function several times.  All the editing tools CW seems to be putting out are fine, but I'd like that they get back to the creative/songwriting side.  I hate going back and forth between DAWs.  

For now, I often flush out song ideas and chords in CB8 and come back to Sonar when ready to record and arrange. I wish they'd work on this instead of a "Drum Replacer".  I can see how some would perhaps appreciate this but it's time to come back home to the songwriter's base.  IMHO of course.
skinnybones lampshade
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/29 20:48:05 (permalink)
I agree with kson, who said, "All the editing tools CW seems to be putting out are fine, but I'd like that they get back to the creative/songwriting side." and "it's time to come back home to the songwriter's base".

Well said, kson. That expresses my feelings very well.
post edited by skinnybones lampshade - 2015/05/29 20:57:10
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/30 12:21:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2015/06/01 01:19:00
+2 (2)
charlyg
I use the Chord wheel hard copy, and when I went to get the link, I found they do an iPhone app.

http://www.chordwheel.com/

My currently preferred tool:

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Kamikaze
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/05/31 05:32:03 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Including chord wheel type device into this type of plug would make it quick and intuitive to experiment with. Using the Midi Chords plug in that I linked in the OP, I find that manually entering stuff slows things down a great deal, and little slip ups with inverted chords means you can easily be using the wrong chord mistake.

synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/06/01 01:13:46 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I'm all for any help with chord construction and what have you. And a CoF tool inside Sonar would be nice  

So it's got my five star vote...

As it happens, earlier this week, I made myself two "offline" CoF cards (laminated), one for Major one for minor, so that at least helps me when I'm away from my PC and doing stuff on my guitar...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/Sonar/COF.pdf

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/06/12 11:39:47 (permalink)
+2 (2)
The best chord solution I've seen is included in Cubase, the Cubase chord track is awesome, especially for non keyboard players like myself.  I think it would be a great feature in Splat!

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/09/26 05:31:32 (permalink)
+1 (1)
kson
I do agree with this post and have requested a "Chord Track" type function several times.  All the editing tools CW seems to be putting out are fine, but I'd like that they get back to the creative/songwriting side.  I hate going back and forth between DAWs.  

For now, I often flush out song ideas and chords in CB8.... I wish they'd work on this instead of a "Drum Replacer".  I can see how some would perhaps appreciate this but it's time to come back home to the songwriter's base.  IMHO of course.

+1000
There's a lot of us waiting for the Arranger Track and Chord Track!
Snehankur
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/09/26 13:17:52 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I agree.
 request for :

A. A CHORD Track - to enter chords from keyboard(QWERTY) or MIDI
B. Midi Track - with option populate from Chord Track [options : a Lane to define INVERSION, a Lane to define Key range, Right Click Option - CONTINUE COMMON NOTES from previous Chord
C. Midi Track - A Lane - insert pattern [.mid / .riff] - populate from Midi Track

A and B may be single instance and Track C type can be multiple [ we can create Bass line and other accompaniments]

Lastly on track type C - right Click option - HUMANIZE (with a popup slider for degree of Humanization)

Regards
Snehankur

mettelus
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/09/26 13:43:04 (permalink)
I just shot an email to the guy who made this, and sent a simple request for offloading that tool as follows:

"Most users seem to want a simple track of MIDI data which will be played by an inserted VST. Pretty generic, and the Key Chords already has most of this. To summarize, these seem to be the common "features" requested:
  1. Drag/drop chords into a track (block assembly)
  2. Lengthen/shorten chords to taste (so not all "1 bar each")
  3. No strumming needed (although is a nicety some would want)
  4. Ability to then export or drag/drop the entire track into a DAW for a VST to play."
I may get a response to pack sand, but never hurts to ask...

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
mettelus
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2015/09/30 19:58:26 (permalink)
If you click the link in the above post (may need to hit F5 if loaded it recently), you will notice an "Export Midi" button above the chord track. I am still interacting with him on functionality, but the first hurdle of exporting MIDI has already been cleared. I will make a separate post for this once things are ironed out (and a procedure), but wanted to let you folks know and extend a HUGE "Thank you!" to him for doing this (he is not a SONAR user!) - not only receptive, but a 4-day turnaround!

WilliamHenley
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Updated Midi Chord Plug in 2016/06/05 01:16:56 (permalink)
Scoot
Seems Cubase has some sort of Chord tool, I don't use cubase so I don't know it's functionality, but we only have a the problematic Chord Analyzer.

It would be nice not to forget midi, and progress this side of Sonar. Chord Structures are the foundation of music. With plug ins such as Midi chords, where a single not cane be used to play complex chord voicings, and aid experimenting with fuller sounding performances. Here's a basic image of it set up in Sonar

You simply press a note, then assign it the chord you want, you can copy that shape, press another note, and it paste the shape and it relates to the new note. Transpose it semitones or octaves (You can't invert or open and close voicing, but other than that it's very intuitive and flexible . Check out this guy, he has 4 running at the same time, and performing just one note at a time, creates stunning pieces. SO one note, 4 instances of the plug, a stack of synths, and a rich ensemble result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ar_3nGx2w

Then there is EXKeys, and it's circle of fifths tool, which allow you to change chords (not on the fly), to different keys, or experiment with adding and droping intervals, invert chords. Still no open a voicing, close a voicing (which seem more important if you are higher and lower on the keyboard). Some of the Chord recognition is dodgy, such as having, labelling a inversion with the new bass note correctly. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_1BgtA_lvo

So what am I asking for.
A chord tool, that can:

I think a comprehensive tool like this doesn't exist, (although I don't know the cubase tool, and if cubase has one, we should) and will allow the Sonar user base to expand its sonic potential, allowing beginners to gain confidence and apply music theory, and advanced player to take things further

Anyone with experience of other tool, please add ideas

What you've done with the MidiChords is outstanding! I've been attempting to use use the Sonar Chord Analyzer and other than it decoding the chord, it seems a useless function to me. I'm a heavy NI user and Kontakt 5 now supports midi file playback (sync'd to host). Basically, a lookup table for the desired midi file on the Kontakt side is simple were I able to use the Sonar result. I've yet to find a means of passing the Sonar resolved chord to a KSP Variable, or anywhere else for that matter.  My goal is to execute a correct midi file based on Sonar chord decode. Thus far, Sonar seems to do nothing more than echo the chord :(. I've got so many awesome ideas were I able to use Sonar's chord result. Possibilities are endless. Unfortunately, the solution seems endless as well. Don't understand the effort made to decode a chord if its result is akin to a spell checker. Ideas appreciated.

Keep up the leading edge work. It's much appreciated by all!  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1