What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JD1813
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 813
2014/03/19 11:34:40 (permalink)

What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency?

Hi everyone!   I've been using a USB-connected Edirol audio interface box, model UA-4FX.   It works great, but as I've upgraded a few times around, I'm realizing its latency isn't very good.    Problem is, I'm not sure what kind of numbers a great low-latency value should BE, so please give me that as well.  Here's what I'm looking for, for those of you who can help:

1)  what numbers should I be shooting for in latency, as I look to buy a better interface?   I believe my Edirol's ASIO control panel reports an average of over 150 Ms.  Doesn't that seem really poor? 

2)  my current (and near future) hardware is and will continue to be, notebooks- and I have both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports available (not sure when I'll have USB 3.0, so I'll not mention that as an option).  I want an interface that is external, and I need only the same small number of inputs/outputs that my Edirol box has :  single MIDI In/Out, single R/L pair of 1/4" in/out, a single Mic/Line input, a single  XLR Mic input.  It also gives me an RCA L/R pair for outs that I find very useful.  The Edirol supports 24bit/48Khz recording as well.

I'm looking for roughly the same capabilities as my Edirol USB UA-4FX, but a much faster throughput and lower latency.  Can anyone recommend particular models?   I'm hoping to stay under about $300, which is probably twice what I paid for the Edirol, but I'm looking at a bit higher end capability. 
Many thanks, gang!!
John

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..

44 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/19 12:30:50 (permalink)
    I would hope almost anything would beat 150 ms - even the eridol.  I would try to fix that first.  That isn't a USB 1 interface, is it.  That might explain the latency if they haven't worked on the drivers.
    My TC Electonics, not known for low latency, I run at 11 MS (round trip).  I can get lower, but not during mixing.  One of the best sounding, low cost interfaces is the TCK 6 (I think - the desktop model).  That is FW, however.

everybody seems to enjoy the Focusrite stuff at the low end - I'd look at that.  But only after I figure out if the eridol is at fault rather than the computers.  Hate for you to spend the money and not be better off - at least as far as latency is concerned.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/19 13:22:39 (permalink)
    I am trying out a Presonus 44 VSL this weekend.  They make a 22 VSL for $199.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBox22?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJy_xqOOn70CFQ5qfgodSzEAWA

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/19 14:07:22 (permalink)
    The contribution of the interface is a fairly small percentage of the overall round-trip latency. Where interfaces really differ is when you're trying to squeeze the last couple of milliseconds out of it.Many of the less-expensive interfaces have a built-in minimum, with 64 samples being typical.

But we're talking about the difference between a minimum latency of 4 ms versus 2 ms. The equivalent to moving your speakers 2 feet closer or 2 feet farther away. For mixing, 150ms latency is fine. Unless you're playing soft synths in real time or monitoring through SONAR's fx bin, extremely low latencies just aren't necessary.

The biggest factor in determining latency is the size of your audio buffers. The ability to lower them for fast latencies is mostly a function of your CPU horsepower, and to a lesser-extent the quality of the interface's device driver.

Bottom line is that unless you need more inputs, or other features missing from the Edirol, then spending money on a new interface may not be the biggest bang for your buck. If you lack sufficient CPU resources to lower buffer sizes to an acceptable size, then maybe a new motherboard is the better investment for about the same cost as a good audio interface.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/19 15:20:16 (permalink)
    Thank you all, for the above responses!  
    If I can get a link to display on here,  I have found the complete Edirol specs here at :
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIUA4FX

Yet for all the specs, I still do not see anything on average latency setting.  It does handle multiple windows drivers, and I've stuck with ASIO settings and it has a nice Control Panel that makes it easy to slide settings around......

It says it will use USB 2.0 ports, which is the only kind I use with it, but yet I do wonder if that's a problem, and I'll do some checks using other ports.  If it's only working at a USB 1.0 rate, then that  would account for a LOT of issues.

Regarding buffer sizes, I do not know what is optimal for best speed/latency. 
    And yes, I do actually play back soft synths when I monitor what I've arranged, and I do some monitoring in the FX lists.  I use a dual-core CPU which I didn't feel was a problem, in spite of such faster CPU's out now.  Based on the feedback, I'll do more testing before I go ahead with a new interface - Like I said, the Edirol has been working solid since I got it several years back -

My real issues have been since I just upgraded from Sonar PE X-1 to PE X-2,  and I tried to go from 32-bit to 64-bit Sonar PE X2.   I have 64-bit Win 7 Hm Premium, but felt in the past that I wanted to stay 32-bit Sonar for downward compatibility with a lot of favorite VSTs.  So I did it that way.  Edirol said it had to use its own 64-bit driver with a 64-bit Win 7, so I've had that in place, and X-1 in 32-bit mode on top of that platform worked fine.  Very solid, in fact.

Now, since loading X-2 in 64-bit, (and patching with X-2a) on (Win 7 SP1), and reloading and rescanning all my VSTs, I can't seem to save and close a project without a total Sonarpd crash.  I do not necessarily think this is related to my Edirol interface.  I'm just looking for weak links in the system, and wondered if I've crossed an upgrade threshold now with X-2, where my Edirol interface isn't processing a heavier synth load fast enough?   I dunno.   But thanks for pointing me to doing more checks before I go the interface direction.
    ~  John

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/20 11:29:58 (permalink)
    I'm really happy with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and their driver support (not to mention customer service) is excellent. This unit also has 4 RCA outputs (apart from the 2 I/O's for guitar/mics + midi I/O's). I got it for under $160 from Audiodeluxe (they should be able to beat most advertised net prices).
    http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/20 13:13:45 (permalink)
    When it comes to low round-trip latency, the distinguishing factor between audio interfaces is the size of its hidden safety-buffer.  The larger the hidden safety-buffer, the larger the round-trip latency.

The best audio interfaces yield ~5ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.
    The quality of the audio interface's driver is paramount to achieving glitch-free low round-trip latency (while running substantial loads).  Not all drivers are created equal...
    RME is particularly good in this regard... as are Lynx and MOTU units.

PCIe vs. USB vs. Firewire:
    Make a good choice, and you can achieve low round-trip latency with any of the above.
    ie: RME USB units achieve total round-trip latency of 4.9ms at a 48-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k (clean playback running substantial loads)

The Steinberg UR-44 is a new (relatively low cost) audio interface that offers good fidelity and low round-trip latency.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/20 23:44:40 (permalink)
    I still don't quite understand what round-trip latency is.
    With my RME at 44100 - 24, I get 1.5ms according to Sonar (earlier version).
    With 96000 - 24 both ASIO drivers I get in Sonar a reported 1.3ms latency.

According I think or am trying to remember to RME it takes 3ms in the RME unit, or with the electronics.
    If I am thinking to add those together then it would be 4.5ms or 4.3ms. That is with 64 samples or for the faster speed kilo-hertz samples 128 samples set on the unit.
    ??
    Oh, soft-synths I am not using at this time.

pigwart12
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/21 09:49:27 (permalink)
    JD---Be sure and check out Beagle's site---he has a link to a lot of specs for many different audio interfaces----Keith

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/21 10:30:27 (permalink)
    Round-trip latency is the sum of the following:
    • ASIO input buffer
    • ASIO output buffer
    • The driver's hidden safety buffer
    • Latency from the A/D D/A converters
    The ASIO control panel for your RME (and most units) shows 1.5ms at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.
    That's the latency for the ASIO output (playback) buffer alone... nothing else.

If you're playing/monitoring in realtime thru software based EFX/processing, you're dealing with round-trip latency.
    If you're playing virtual instruments, you're dealing with one-way (playback) latency.

The X-factor with audio interfaces is the driver's hidden safety buffer.
    The best audio interfaces have well-written drivers that can use a small safety buffer.
    Mediocre units tend to use a larger safety buffer... which means high round-trip latency.
    Depending on how you work, this may or may not be a factor for you.
    If you want the ability to play DI electric bass or guitar... and hear the results in realtime thru an AmpSim plugin, you need an audio interface that provides low round-trip (end-to-end) latency.  Otherwise, you can feel the lag.

By the time you factor in the RME's safety buffer and latency from A/D D/A converters, you're actually ~5ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.  That's pretty good...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/22 13:36:34 (permalink)
    JD - if you happen to browse the zillions of posts in here about this topic,  you'll definitely and frequently come across the mention of Focusrite products.  I want to put in a good word for them.

1. Good options. Low latency.
    2. Excellent, clean pre-amps.
    3. Offerings to fit low budget as well as expanded budget
    4. Good software interface that accompanies the hardware. That means, easy to use (compared to others).
    5. Good reputation - drivers work, plug and play, typically people find the products great and don't complain
    Bonus round:
    6. Focusrite has a thing called the Focusrite VRM Box (you don't need a Focusrite audio interface to use it, but you do need SPDIF outputs - which Focusrite audio interfaces often have except for the lowest end ones).  The Focusrite VRM Box is a low cost item and can really help with mixing if you use headphones for at all or some of your mixing.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2014/03/22 16:07:31 (permalink)
    I cancelled my Presonus 44VSL order and have now gone with the new Steinberg UR-44.  It has 6 in/6 out and can interface with Windows, Mac and iPad.  
    Very clean mic pres and zero latency monitoring software.  Initial reviews have been really good.  
    I will post a review after I get it in about 2 weeks.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Spiritos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/05/27 15:23:37 (permalink)
    @Rimshot: Curious to see what your roundtrip latency will give you. I have a top-noth DAW PC but now the UR-44 is the culprit giving me only <10ms on 44.1KHz/64 buffer while more conventional settings such as 44/128 give me close to 14 ms. It might be enough for you but I need <10ms so already thinking about selling for an RME. Will cost me probably since I also need 4 mic inputs :(

@lawajava: The VRM Box can easily be attached to your PC through USB as a separate interface. Only workaround is that when you want to start mixing and referencing on cans you need to manually select is as an audio output.
    There is one reasonibly priced Focusrite model that comes with the VRM tech as well. More expensive than other options mentioned here (aside from RME) but all-in-one since essentially it's the VRM Software that does the processing and not the VRM Box.

Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Evolution MK-36 1C/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
    charlyg
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/05/27 15:41:41 (permalink)
    I have a Focusrite 2i2, which is more than fine, but I just dropped some dough on a Line 6 UX2, if for nothing else than Pod Farm and the cool VU meters! I will see if I can see a diff in the preamp quality when it arrives. The only real issue I have with the 2i2 is it is so small and light it moves around and I have to hold it when plugging stuff in and out. I could get that 1/4 cable with the mute switch on it.....hmmm. I'm afraid of it doing something to the signal, but who knows?

I have had a few Focusrite products and you can never go wrong with a Focusrite......I think there's an ad in there somewhere.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/05/27 16:50:41 (permalink)
    this thread is over a year old.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

TPayton
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/05/29 19:28:13 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    this thread is over a year old.

So am I

Tom
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/01 17:40:31 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    When it comes to low round-trip latency, the distinguishing factor between audio interfaces is the size of its hidden safety-buffer.  The larger the hidden safety-buffer, the larger the round-trip latency.

The best audio interfaces yield ~5ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.
    The quality of the audio interface's driver is paramount to achieving glitch-free low round-trip latency (while running substantial loads).  Not all drivers are created equal...
    RME is particularly good in this regard... as are Lynx and MOTU units.

PCIe vs. USB vs. Firewire:
    Make a good choice, and you can achieve low round-trip latency with any of the above.
    ie: RME USB units achieve total round-trip latency of 4.9ms at a 48-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k (clean playback running substantial loads)

The Steinberg UR-44 is a new (relatively low cost) audio interface that offers good fidelity and low round-trip latency.

If you have a local Guitar Center these were on sale for $119.

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 05:08:12 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    Jim Roseberry

In 2014 ? :o)
    Doesn't help today...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 13:45:22 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    kitekrazy1
    Jim Roseberry

Doesn't help today...

$119 went i went into a GC  last Friday, May 29, 2015.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 14:30:19 (permalink)
    Try the Roland Quad Capture. I have the Octa-Capture and the latency is extremely low.

I used to have problems putting sends on my buses and sending them to another bus which went to outs 3/4 for a headphone mix. The vocalist would always hear a delay in the head phones when singing. This was happening with the Persons FirePod. When I purchased the Octagon Capture, the latency was so low, the problems went a way. Plus it has features that will blow you away.

If you can save up some more money, do it and get an Octagon Capture! If not, the try a Roland Quad Capture.

Peace,

Jesse G.
    post edited by Jesse G - 2015/06/05 14:36:26

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 15:55:28 (permalink)
    Jessie G,
    What kind of latencies do you get with the Octa Capture? 5 - 6 ms? 64 samples?
    post edited by jbraner - 2015/06/05 16:01:29

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    Jesse G
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 22:41:45 (permalink)
    Jbraner,

Under "Driver Settings" in Preferences.

Buffer Size = Fast  4.8 msec 256 samples
    Input : 5.9 msec, 304 samples
    Output: 11.6 msec, 611 samples

Round Trip 17. 5 msec,   915 samples

Using ASIO

Peace,

Jesse G

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jesse G
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/05 23:08:10 (permalink)
    Below is the Quad-Capture $269.00 from Sweetwater.com
    View the video on the web page and read more about it.
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/quad-capture/

======================================================

Below is the Octa-Capture
    View the video on the webpage and read more about it. $599.00 from Sweetwater.com
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/octa-capture/features/

Built in Direct Mixer A,B,C and D with Built in Reverb on Mixer A for vocalist to hear when recording/

Built in compressor and preamp which you can use with the GUI or from the front of the unit itself.

Peace,

Jesse G

Peace,

jbraner
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/06 05:22:05 (permalink)
    Thanks a million for that Jesse!

I play guitar in to amp sims - so the round trip latency is really important. I'm looking to move to a USB card, but "Round Trip 17. 5 msec," is a bit high.

RME Fireface UC and MOTU Ultralite AVB are still at the top of my list ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    maximumpower
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/06 07:49:35 (permalink)
    If it weren't for the fact the m-audio quit supporting it, I would have recommended the Profire. At 64 samples, RTL is 5.8ms @ 64 byte buffer and 48K sampling.

I would like to measure this directly instead of relying on what the ASIO driver is reporting but I need to find a way to do that.

I am looking at the Roland units as well since m-audio dropped support for the Profire 610. I emailed Roland to see if they will support the Quad and Octa capture in Windows 10. I will report back if/when they respond. I am a little concerned as these are not new units and I am already am dealing with end of support issues with the Profire.

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

jbraner
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/07 07:38:01 (permalink)
    thansk maximum - I'm gonna start another thread soon, but I think it's going to be down to the MOTU or RME for those kind of latencies...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    maximumpower
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/07 08:13:39 (permalink)
    I look forward to reading that thread.

Are you going with one of those two because of their reputation for low latency?

Thanks

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/07 09:52:12 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    Kalle Rantaaho
    kitekrazy1
    Jim Roseberry

Doesn't help today...

$119 went i went into a GC  last Friday, May 29, 2015.

Yes, but you are answering to posts that are over a year old.
    I think the guys have their new gear bought long time ago.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/07 10:43:42 (permalink)
    I've never had a flicker of interest when I post my recommendation. I have four audio interfaces. Two Focusrite, the Profire 2626, and the Line 6 KB-37. For the purpose of capturing vocals with a no latency experience, or capturing fully effected guitars with no latency the Line 6 KB-37 is the runaway winner. So much so that I use it exclusively for recording those parts. I use the Focusrite for general audio and mixing purposes.

I recognize the KB-37 is dated technology now. But line 6 had special sauce with audio in this model, and it is still purchaseable.

A couple bits on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpCXWSC8TE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBR1OfHRtM

Using these regularly, I'm very convinced the KB-37 provides an ideal experience.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    jbraner
    Re: What's a really good Audio Interface w/lowest latency? 2015/06/07 16:04:11 (permalink)
    Are you going with one of those two because of their reputation for low latency?

Yeah - I really don't like the latency when playing my guitar through ampsims. 4.9ms RT would be heaven, 7-8 ms is fine but higher than that is geting noticable (you can hear the "acoustic" sound of the string being hit - and it doesn't match with the sound coming through the headphones.)

I work at these latencies with my PCI card - so I'd like to try to stick with the same latencies...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1