[CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external input

Author
SquireBum
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
2015/05/31 23:28:22 (permalink)

[CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external input

I encountered the "MIDI crosstalk" issue when trying out the Kirnu "free" arpeggiator plugin.  Forum member "Silktone" provided a workaround in late 2013 and reported the issue in early 2014 (http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2954622), but the problem still exists in Platinum.  Since this appears to be one of those nagging long standing issues that not everyone encounters, I thought I would try reporting it again and I'm feeling lucky, since 2 of my previous problem reports were resolved in "Everett". 

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create new project
  2. Drag Z3TA+2 from Browser to Track Pane
  3. Check Simple Instrument Track and Enable MIDI Output in Synth Options dialog
  4. Verify Enable MIDI Output is enable in Synth Rack
  5. Drag Dimension Pro from Browser to Track pane
  6. Check Simple Instrument Track and uncheck Enable MIDI Output in Synth Options dialog
  7. Select external MIDI interface "MIDI-Omni" as the input port for both new tracks (I use an Echo Audio Gina for MIDI I/O)
  8. Double click on Z3TA+2 icon to open synth properties page
  9. Record enable Dimension Pro track
  10. Click Record button in Transport
  11. Drag mouse across Z3TA+2 virtual keyboard in synth properties page

Expected Results:  MIDI data should NOT be recorded in the Dimension Pro track, since no input is being received by the external MIDI interface.

Actual Results:  A clip is created in the Dimension Pro track containing a chromatic run.

-- Ron

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum x64 2017.10, X3E, X2a, X1d, 8.5
Windows 10 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G

4 Replies Related Threads

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: [CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external in 2015/06/01 16:03:15 (permalink)
    My attempt to reproduce your steps did not result in misrecording into the Dimension track. Everything looked normal.

However, just before starting to try reproducing yours, I noticed when dragging a synth into the track area and then looking through the dropdown, all my external MIDI ports were checkmarked for Omni. Not any softsynth outputs, not "All inputs" nor the virtual keyboard. The widget said JV-80 Omni, where the JV-80 is the first of my external synths, but looking through the dropdown, all my external synths were checked for 'Omni'. I have not been able to reproduce it, but I do have a project saved with those settings still active. When I reopen that project and add synths, the strange assignment does not happen any more, so not reproducible.

Might be worth checking your project, going down all the items in the dropdown to see if something isn't right.
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: [CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external in 2015/06/01 16:27:35 (permalink)
    Ha, just tried it again and reproduced your symptom.

This time, when I inserted the Dim Pro track, I saw that it had the same weird symptom that all the (external) MIDI ports had the Omni checkmark. So this time, I did not explicitly select an input for the Dimension track. Although the input list did NOT show the Z3ta+2 output selected, it did indeed record the Z3ta virtual keyboard.

Then I explicitly selected a (different) MIDI port for input to the Dim Pro track, and the symptom disappeared. Then I dragged in another Dim Pro, and it came in with "none" selected as input, so no more reproducing these symptoms. Restarted Sonar and could not reproduce again. I wonder if this only happens the first time after booting?

SquireBum
    Re: [CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external in 2015/06/01 20:33:28 (permalink)

bvideo
    Ha, just tried it again and reproduced your symptom.

Thanks for working through this. 

bvideo 
    I wonder if this only happens the first time after booting?

I loaded another project and closed it to try to test your theory.  Then I ran through the steps again.  Both the Z3TA and Dim Pro tracks start out with the input set "None" by the drag procedure.  Then I change both tracks to my Gina MIDI interface "MIDI-Omni".  The Z3TA virtual keyboard is always recorded onto the Dim Pro track.

If I switch the input on the Dim Pro track to "None" and then back to my Gina MIDI interface "MIDI-Omni" after the Dim Pro track has recorded the MIDI data from Z3TA , then no additional data is recorded to the Dim Pro track.  The Dim Pro track does display a ghost clip, but has no MIDI note data and the clip disappears as soon as the recording is stopped.
    This is actually the "workaround" discovered by forum user Silktone.

If I add another Dim Pro track to the same project the input is automatically set to "None" on the new track.  I set the track input to my Gina MIDI interface "MIDI-Omni" and start to record.  The new Dim Pro track records the Z3TA keyboard until the new track's input is switched to "None" and then back to the Gina interface.

Just an FYI:  I use "Omni" rather than a specific channel, because each string of my MIDI guitar transmits on a different channel.

-- Ron

Windows 10 x64
    8 GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
    Echo Gina 3G
    SquireBum
    Re: [CWBRN-33360] MIDI data from "Enable MIDI out" VSTi recorded on track with external in 2015/06/01 20:44:54 (permalink)
    bvideo

However, just before starting to try reproducing yours, I noticed when dragging a synth into the track area and then looking through the dropdown, all my external MIDI ports were checkmarked for Omni. Not any softsynth outputs, not "All inputs" nor the virtual keyboard. The widget said JV-80 Omni, where the JV-80 is the first of my external synths, but looking through the dropdown, all my external synths were checked for 'Omni'. I have not been able to reproduce it, but I do have a project saved with those settings still active. When I reopen that project and add synths, the strange assignment does not happen any more, so not reproducible.

Might be worth checking your project, going down all the items in the dropdown to see if something isn't right.

Sorry for responding out of order. 

The only item checked in the Input list immediately after I create the tracks by dragging from the Browser is "None".  My external device is not checked at all.

-- Ron

Windows 10 x64
    8 GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
    Echo Gina 3G
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1