How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Producer?

Author
vads11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2015/06/09 12:44:20 (permalink)

How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Producer?

Currently using my Roland Fantom FX as a MIDI keyboard, and then using various virtual synths to produce sounds in Sonar.  This works well but I have some sounds in my Fantom that I would like to use in Sonar. How do I connect  my Fantom sounds to the midi notes I produce in Sonar?  Probably a simple explanation but I am in the dark.
Midi and analog connections from Roland FX external synth connected to Tascam 1884, then to computer.  Tascam firewire to computer.  

17 Replies Related Threads

jatoth
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 363
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 13:22:57 (permalink)
    You will need to have/create an instrument definition file (.ins). Then in Sonar you add the Fantom as a MIDI instrument with it's .ins file. All the Fantom patches will be available in Sonar to select as output of the MIDI track.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 14:21:56 (permalink)
    As noted above with a midi track set to output to your Fantom and an Audio track set to receive audio from the Tascam.

The quickest way would be to create as above then put in to a track folder and save as a template.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 15:15:02 (permalink)
    You actually don't need an instrument definition file. They help to make selecting patches slightly easier but you can also just select the patch you want on the synth itself or include the necessary MIDI commands to select the patch in the MIDI track that's connected to the synth.

You do need a MIDI track with its input pointing at whatever is controlling the Fantom (e.g. the Fantom's MIDI output) and outputting to the Fantom via the MIDI interface built into the Tascam (or another MIDI intertace connected to the Fantom). Also an audio track to receive the audio the Fantom sends to the Tascam.

The MIDI track can be monitored live (as can the audio) via Sonar's track echo buttons. If you do that though you'll also need to turn off local control on the synth if you're using it's keyboard or on-board controls otherwise all the MIDI will be doubled as the Fantom responds to its own controls then the incoming identical MIDI from Sonar a few milliseconds later.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    vads11
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 15:36:15 (permalink)
    I did load a .ins file into sonar, but it seems to be invisible to Sonar. How do I get Sonar to show all the possible sounds?
    Sorry about these basic questions.
    vads11
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 15:37:18 (permalink)
    What is the difference in function with the local control on or off? Thanks.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 15:37:26 (permalink)
    Its uncertain the level of complexity you are operating at so, without making any assumption, I will answer your exact question, which was to get sounds from the Fantom x from a midi track in Sonar..

1. You need to direct the Sonar Midi track to the Fantom X. ...I assume that you have the Fantom X input port enabled in Sonar>Preferences>midi>devices>input as you are playing softsynths, so enable the Fantom X in Sonar>preferences>midi>devices>output.
    2. Direct the midi track output to the Fantom X midi port, ch 1.
    3. Whatever patch you have selected in patch mode of the Fantom should sound.

If you wish to record that into the project then insert an audio track and record the Fantom X output.

Good advice above is to create a track folder, and if you are using performance mode, use one midi track per Fantom Channel... Add one audio track per channel (though you will need to record one audio track per run-through) then save this as a track template... go nuts and find a bmp of the Fantom X and create a track icon :)

You have 3 choices for saving projects..
    1. record everything as audio and be done with it.. downside is that you cannot edit the data as you will not have recorded the patch assignments..unless you make paper notes.
    2. save the patch/edit settings in a performance on the Fantom X.. load this performance when you open the Sonar project.
    3. Save any user/edited patches in the Fantom X, and save the locations in the individual midi tracks as PC (program change) information.
    4. Do 2. above and recall the performance setup in the sonar project.

To get fancy, and recall the preset sounds by name (doesnt work for user sounds) the ins file referred above is a script with these names so that you can select the patches via a mouse... personally (I have Fantom G) its quicker to dial them in on the synth, but the file for the fantom X is here.. http://www.roland.com/sup...8/updates_drivers/1744

vads11
    Currently using my Roland Fantom FX as a MIDI keyboard, and then using various virtual synths to produce sounds in Sonar.  This works well but I have some sounds in my Fantom that I would like to use in Sonar. How do I connect  my Fantom sounds to the midi notes I produce in Sonar?  Probably a simple explanation but I am in the dark.
    Midi and analog connections from Roland FX external synth connected to Tascam 1884, then to computer.  Tascam firewire to computer.  

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 17:11:12 (permalink)
    Vads11,

I asked the same question about my Korg TR a week ago and was given the same speech about the .ins file. 

The answer is in the post below in the second page which was answered by Ifm.  It's all about Midi in and Midi out.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/I-want-to-use-the-sounds-from-my-Korg-Workstation-in-Sonar-as-a-Synth-m3233624.aspx

Peace

Jesse G.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    jatoth
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 17:46:26 (permalink)
    vads11
    What is the difference in function with the local control on or off? Thanks.

If you are referring to "Local Control" as a setting on the Fantom, it should be off.
    "Local Control" refers to what is controlling the Fantom. It's LOCAL keyboard or an external device.
    In your case Sonar is an external device controlling the Fantom.
    HTH

Jesse is correct. It is all about wrapping your head around MIDI routing. (Ins and Outs)
    post edited by jatoth - 2015/06/09 17:53:41

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/09 22:00:32 (permalink)
    I think the posts above explain this, but if you have trouble, let us know.  I use external synths a lot.  It takes a bit more set-up than a soft synth, but from a performance standpoint, it's a good deal.  Also, you can more easily play notes, bends, and other things into the MIDI track.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    vads11
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 00:58:01 (permalink)
    Thanks very much. I cleaned up my midi routing...and now the Roland synth sounds are coming through. Appreciate the help.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 04:03:55 (permalink)
    Don't forget if you change the patch on the Rolandthen the Midi track will be driving your new patch.

If you want to use the original patch in your song you'll need to bounce it to track before changing patches, this is if you want to build up a performance just from the Fantom.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    jatoth
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 08:23:02 (permalink)
    Is the Fantom multi-timbral? If so, you can set each MIDI track to a different MIDI channel and have 16 patches playing back.

John

Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 17:10:38 (permalink)
    it is, and this option has already been covered above.. a "performance" in the Fantom X is a 16ch multi-timbral setup.:)
    jatoth
    Is the Fantom multi-timbral? If so, you can set each MIDI track to a different MIDI channel and have 16 patches playing back.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    joyof60
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 21:44:37 (permalink)
    I play a FX-8 as well, and have tried for months to incorporate the patches from the fantom onto midi tracks in Sonar Pro for all the versitility afforded. I'm setup with the FantomX-8 through an OctoCapture interface into SP. (back when Roland had Cakewalk I thought it best to keep it all in the family)
    In the past I have just recorded as direct audio and made do. I have read the article in SOS (referenced earlier) repeatedly and frankly have a hard time "wrapping my head around midi inputs and outputs". For some reason it just seems backwards to me. I have been able to get the synth voices from the Fantom onto a midi track and got it to change voices from the Fantom. (I partook in vast amounts of distilled libations to celebrate that one!) I would love to understand how to transfer the .ins file into Sonar, the instructions provided through the PDF file in the above link did not apply or I couldn't find the screens provided in the examples except in 'preferences' (from which I'm sure all this needs to be done indeed) and they didn't (or I didn't) follow well. And the idea of a midi track folder to utilize all 16 channels of the Fantom would be marvelous! If somebody could just direct me to a link (as I don't mind reading at all) I would be most grateful as I'm sure this is a newbie topic. Thanks again for all of your time and effort!

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.
    Ibanez Laney
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/10 23:10:10 (permalink)
    When I 1st got into MIDI and commented that I found it confusing a dude said to me:

'There are 16 TV channels and that you have 16 TVs.
    If the TV Station is broadcasting on a Channel then one of you TVs (or more if you want) needs to be set to receive that channel for you to watch it.'

After hearing that I was able to get my synths to do what I want. (Well - I could get the signal flow where I needed it -  it didn't fix my terrible keyboard playing)

i7 2600k, 1 x Nvidia 970 + 1 x 560ti, 16GB RAM, 5TB of Spinning Thingys, Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56 + lots and lots of cables. Sooo many cables.. I think they are breeding.
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2015/06/11 00:48:59 (permalink)
    I used a Fantom X6 for years, it's got some great sounds. I've retired it for the time being but here is what I did:
    1. Use the Fantom USB driver for MIDI, check the Roland site, it should still be available.
    2. For audio, route the main outputs into your audio interface. I use an external mixer for monitoring so I never had any problems with latency. YMMV if you're monitoring inside Sonar. Note: Fantom outs are TRS (balanced), so you should be able to get a clean, no buzz signal.
    3. I hacked the XG ini files to give me all the patches and drum sounds, they matched the patches on my synth perfectly including all the expansion ROMs I installed, I still have them if you want them. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you. I also reformatted them for Pro Tools, gotta luv vim. :)
    Setting it up this way allowed me to select any preset on the keyboard from inside Sonar and use the keyboard for midi input and output. Monitoring through the mixer let me capture performances regardless of the PDC settings. Not quite as nice as having a VST control like Virus, but it worked quite well.
    P.S. You'll have to bounce in real time.
    post edited by TomHelvey - 2015/06/11 03:55:02

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    CDK
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: How do I get my external Roland Fantom synth midi and analog sounds into Sonar Produc 2018/07/02 06:58:47 (permalink)
    I'm currently attempting to set up my Fantom X6 up as an instrument in Sonar Platinum but not having much success.

My Fantom X6 is MIDI'd to my PC via a MOTU MicroLite USB MIDI interface and I've installed the Fantom X Cakewalk INS file but how should I route the MIDI track/s inputs & outputs in Sonar? For some reason I can't get this to work!

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    32GB RAM
    64-bit operating system
    Sonar Platinum

Roland Quad Capture USB Audio/MIDI interface
    MOTU Micro Lite 5x5 USB MIDI interface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1