Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service...

Author
Dreamer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
2015/06/23 20:40:53 (permalink)

Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service...

Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service with prices that won't rip a hole in my wallet?
I have a 1" Ampeg studio mastering audio tape recording, (16 track 30 ips), and a 2" Ampeg studio mastering audio tape, (24 track 30 ips), from the late 80's early 90's. They've been stored since 1992.

I would like to salvage and restore these recordings and have all the tracks burned onto a DVD @ 24 bits for the current industry standard of digital mix-downs, (they were never finished but with Sonar I think I finally can).

This 'Friggin' thing is broked....
Proud owner of Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition

12 Replies Related Threads

Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 00:03:06 (permalink)
    I assume you mean Ampex. If so, it's probably 456 or 457. The black, "rubberized" backcoating on those tapes will come off in sticky shreds and gunk up the tape path of any machine you play them on (depending a little bit on if you stored them in any kind of climate-controlled setting). There is a technique, originally described by Ampex themselves, to "restore" the tape enough to play at least one time. It doesn't always work, and you have to assume you'll only get one chance -- that is, one pass over the heads, so no foolin' around. Set your levels as quickly as you can and transfer to digital format on the first pass. If the tape hasn't completely fallen apart by then and you need another pass to get a better level, lucky you.

Here's one recipe for doing it yourself. I can't vouch for the validity of that link. It might work, it might not. Here's a guy who says he can do it. I wouldn't want to try it myself if you can find someone who's pulled it off successfully.

I wish you the best, and I hope you'll come back and report on the results.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Dreamer
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 06:52:29 (permalink)
    You're absolutely right. The ones I've researched "bake" the Apex 456 before transferring. There are a few folks out there and I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable one. I'm thinking of going with these folks: http://www.precision-ar.com/index.htm#pro%20audio

But I want to always check my options. Thanks for your informative help.

emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 07:26:08 (permalink)
    I use Select Sound Studios in Buffalo NY (I live near there). The owner has done several transfers for me of tapes from old projects I'd done in the late 80s and never had an issue. He knows how to bake and then test the reels before transfer.

http://www.selectsound.com/
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 13:18:55 (permalink)
    Steve Puntolillo is the man you want to talk to. His business - Sonicraft A2DX - is chock full of machines for just about every tape format you can imagine. He does meticulous work, I would trust him with my transfers if my tape decks ever fail.

His web site is http://www.sonicraft.com/. The company is located in Northern New Jersey (Freehold to be specific.)

And I know it sounds hokey, but feel free to tell him I sent you, pretty sure he no longer adds a surcharge for that<G>!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    GMGM
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 16:14:04 (permalink)
    This thread is very timely.

I've got some old tapes (1" / 16-track / can't remember if 456 or other). I'd previously transferred these into my ADAT's approx. 10 years ago (and then from ADAT to my DAW). That was at 16/48, but I'd love to get 24/192 or 24/96 transfers. 

I'll need to get the tapes out and figure out what format they were, and hit up some of these recommendations.

post edited by GMGM - 2015/06/24 16:28:08

DAW: SONAR Platinum
    PC: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS Motherboard, 16G RAM
    OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit I/O: MOTU 8M / MOTU 8PRE / PreSonus DigimaxLT / M-Audio Oxygen 49
    emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 16:21:27 (permalink)
    I've heard of Steve actually. We were going to use him to transfer a pile of DATs from the early 90s. Ultimately my other source matched his prices so we stayed local.

DATS are a tricky transfer these days, it's pretty much a dead format and we've had the terrible luck of one of them getting "eaten" on our old machines a few years back.

stxx
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 17:08:24 (permalink)

http://www.lp2cd.com/

I've used them on some very old (1982) Masters and they did a GREAT job.   I trusted them and they came through 
    post edited by stxx - 2015/06/24 17:21:26

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
    https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
    Dreamer
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2015/06/24 17:22:08 (permalink)
    Wow! Ask and you shall find....yous guys are gods. And I thought I would have to kiss my old masters goodbye. Thanks!

Larry Jones
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2017/06/12 00:01:43 (permalink)
    I heard from a former songwriting partner recently, and he has 2-inch 16-track tapes (analog) of some of our old projects from the early 80s recorded on -- you guessed it -- deteriorating Ampex 456 tape. The recordings were done professionally but the tapes haven't been well cared for. We're thinking it might be interesting to do modern mixes of some of the material. I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping my post today will bump it to the top so I can ask -- does anybody know of a transfer facility in the Los Angeles area who can do the "baking" and direct transfer to digital format? I'm searching Google but thought I'd check with y'all.

Thanks!

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Dreamer
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2017/06/12 01:54:30 (permalink)
    Hello Larry,

Not in L.A. but in California. Maybe I can help, (I started the thread and got mine done). David Ollard:david@thinbrownline.com he's at Anaheim Hills, Ca. Very trustworthy, did an outstanding job. I was very happy with his work. He saved all my 80's tracks and did the digital transfers after baking the tape. The shipping and all that was very reasonable and you either provide him with a 32GB or larger flash drive or cover his cost if he includes one.

Here's what he wrote me before we started:

....All 16 or 24 tracks are transferred simultaneously, so the tracks are in natural sync with each other.  You will receive one folder for each song, with each folder containing 16 or 24 separate broadcast wave files. I use the excellent Lynx Aurora converters.  I recommend converting at 96kHz, but I can do all the usual sample rates if you want something different. I can accept checks or Paypal.  If you are using Paypal we'll sort it out afterwards.  Turnaround time is typically 2 weeks from getting the tapes.

Larry Jones
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2017/06/12 03:36:01 (permalink)
    Dreamer
    Hello Larry,

Not in L.A. but in California. Maybe I can help, (I started the thread and got mine done). David Ollard:david@thinbrownline.com he's at Anaheim Hills, Ca. Very trustworthy, did an outstanding job. I was very happy with his work. He saved all my 80's tracks and did the digital transfers after baking the tape. The shipping and all that was very reasonable and you either provide him with a 32GB or larger flash drive or cover his cost if he includes one.

Here's what he wrote me before we started:

....All 16 or 24 tracks are transferred simultaneously, so the tracks are in natural sync with each other.  You will receive one folder for each song, with each folder containing 16 or 24 separate broadcast wave files. I use the excellent Lynx Aurora converters.  I recommend converting at 96kHz, but I can do all the usual sample rates if you want something different. I can accept checks or Paypal.  If you are using Paypal we'll sort it out afterwards.  Turnaround time is typically 2 weeks from getting the tapes.

Thank you, Dreamer! I'll see if I can contact him. Anaheim Hills is not that far out of the way. Two questions for you: Once you got your tracks digitized, were you happy with the way they sounded and did you mix them to your own satisfaction? (What I really mean is were your recordings as good as you thought they were when you made them?) Second question: Who's that in your profile picture? I feel like I should know, Famous mobster? 50s-era politician? The Big Bopper?

Dreamer
    Re: Anyone know a reputable reel to reel audio tape transfer service... 2017/06/12 04:22:48 (permalink)
    LOL....lets just keep it at MR. Big for now. Anyway yes I was very happy with the result. It was kind of spooky listening to stuff I did 31 years ago with friends that are no longer around. It's a time capsule. It was never finished and was missing some minor details. Work was halted in 1987. My opinion of my material is biased in that the stuff I did no one did back then, or even today. But the style is clearly dated and pop oriented. But it's still a lot of fun and very challenging to mix in Sonar. Keyboards were of course DX7's, Rhodes and all those other wonderful instruments with depth and warmth. Drum parts bled through mikes all over the drum room. Technology was just as amazing back then as it is now just that it took a lot more creativity by all involved, (which includes the engineer). IMO there is just no way that that can be duplicated in today's digitized world because unusual things happened spontaneously. And I guess there was that social contact with each of the members that mattered in the outcome so much. I think my stuff was much better than I expected it to be. I just lost faith in it and it was wrong of me to of thought that I was not capable of being in the major league. With no sponsors, no major backers, (or labels interested), and no fans I put together something that in retrospect came out beyond my wildest dreams for that era. I am still working on it as a memory for those cats that participated in the effort and are still around...Good luck with your material brother. You might just feel the same way.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1