Import any audio file without truncating the file length

Author
aquatorium
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2015/06/29 17:14:01 (permalink)

Import any audio file without truncating the file length

When Sonar imports an audio clip past a certain length, it will truncate the file name and replace the remaining text with a number reflective of the order that the clip was imported at. I would like this behaviour removed so that when a file is imported with more characters than the allowed number, it does not get changed.

EG (this is an exaggerated example!):
This song is my latest wonder hit, part 1, session 2, Bass Guitar, 2015-06-26.flac
DOES NOT get renamed to: 
This song is my latest wonder hit, part 1, session 2, Ba(21).flac

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Import any audio file without truncating the file length 2015/06/29 17:29:05 (permalink)
    I think there is a limit for total path on 260 characters in Windows.
    That means all folders and name together has to be below that length.

Maybe NTFS filesystem allows more, but it would not be compatible with many media.

You might overcome that by giving a shorter name to a certain spot within long folder names.
    Use commands like linkd.exe for that is one way - so called junctions or directory links.

So name F:\MySonar may refer to any spot on your disks.
    Perhaps it can keep the longer names then, don't know how Sonar does it.
    But rather simple to try out if it helps. Then set project folder to root where you have projects now.
    aquatorium
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: Import any audio file without truncating the file length 2015/06/29 18:03:30 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for your reply and suggestion. However, the issue I described is actually baked into Cakewalk by design (confirmed by support) and they suggested I follow it up here as a request.

Incidentally, neither Reaper nor Studio One 3 demonstrate this behaviour. I only discovered that Sonar did when having to do some inter-daw transfers! The stems I received had the track name right at the end of the string (see previous post for an example), so when it was imported, I had no idea what the part was! Same tracks imported into other daws preserved the file name.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Import any audio file without truncating the file length 2015/07/03 01:46:13 (permalink)
    Neither reaper nor Studio One are old enough to carry the legacy code necessary for backward compatability.

Sonar will still read files from 15 years back and more. It's been around for a long time.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1