Helpful ReplyIs PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
thechurchboi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
2015/06/29 21:12:09 (permalink)

Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been?

I look at Studio One and can't help but feel a bit sour when looking back at SONAR. The look, the feel, the implementations in Studio One compared to what SONAR is today... What do you guys think?
post edited by thechurchboi - 2015/06/29 21:20:22

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ASUS Z77 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 3770, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
SONAR X3e Producer, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/29 21:23:29 (permalink)
Studio One has the advantage of being relatively new on the scene and so doesn't have years of 'baggage', old code and old methods to deal with.

On the other hand, a lot of us have been recording, mixing or producing music for years since before even Cakewalk for DOS and Sonar workflow is very familiar to us.

I have loads of PreSonus hardware that I use live and Studio One 2 Pro but when I record a live gig I always mix it in Sonar because that's what I prefer.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/29 21:25:11 (permalink)
I've never worked with Studio One, so I can't really speak to that. I find, for myself, that Platinum works well for me. It does what I want a DAW to do, and it's rock solid on my computer. I've invested the last 10 years in Sonar 6PE, X1, X3, and now Platinum. I know how to use it, and I'm happy with the results. That's good enough for me.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/29 21:25:49 (permalink)
I have Studio One Pro and don't like it enough to upgrade it. I'm all in with Sonar.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/29 21:31:21 (permalink)
There are some fantastic features is Studio One 3.

But there are also fantastic features in Sonar.

Sonar, to me, has the best interface on the planet barring none.
All DAW's have their strengths and their weaknesses...it comes down
to your workflow and preference, and the type of work you are using it for
in some instances.

I strive to keep ALL (major) DAW's in front of me...to learn the basics of all of them.
They all do the basically the same thing.  It's just "how they get there" that is different,
and some of the features that they offer.

The Grass isn't always greener...it's just "newer" and "different" and that is the attraction
for the most part.

I've always said "If I could have the interface of Sonar, the features of Cubase and Studio One, and the stability
of Logic all in one package, I'd be a happy camper" (Sonar has been rock solid btw-so that's a good thing)

I own both Studio One 3 Professional and Sonar Platinum.  I like them both...bot Sonar is my home.
( I also have Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Harrison Mixbus, Mixcraft Pro Studio, etc... No Logic, I'm not a Mac guy...but if it was out there for Windows I'd sure kick the tires and give it a spin.)

rtucker55
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2177
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/29 23:38:24 (permalink)
I'm in a different camp as Studio Ones' engines seem rock solid to me, it does not 'Dump' my control surfaces if I don't turn them on prior to running the app (things that should have been fixed years ago in Sonar), etc. etc. Once Presonus releases the V3 point release (any day now) I doubt I will be using sPlat much.

I've been with Sonar for 10 years and feel comfortable working with it but I don't feel comfortable with the direction or implementations anymore. I am Thankful that they still offer phone support but I think I need a change of scene, a stable product to make music, and I don't need any more New content... Just my personal decision.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
thechurchboi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 00:09:38 (permalink)
rtucker55
I'm in a different camp as Studio Ones' engines seem rock solid to me, it does not 'Dump' my control surfaces if I don't turn them on prior to running the app (things that should have been fixed years ago in Sonar), etc. etc. Once Presonus releases the V3 point release (any day now) I doubt I will be using sPlat much.

I've been with Sonar for 10 years and feel comfortable working with it but I don't feel comfortable with the direction or implementations anymore. I am Thankful that they still offer phone support but I think I need a change of scene, a stable product to make music, and I don't need any more New content... Just my personal decision.

You and I are at the same place, my friend!

I was surprised to see so many of the engineers and producers here in Trinidad using SONAR and that made me trust in it as a DAW even more, but then I saw three of the five SONAR users that I've met, switch to other DAWs. One went over to team Logic Pro and two went over to Studio One and it doesn't look like they're going to turn back.
post edited by thechurchboi - 2015/06/30 00:35:23

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ASUS Z77 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 3770, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
SONAR X3e Producer, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 00:22:58 (permalink)
There are lots of folks using both Sonar and SOP. I'm one such person and I recently upgraded to 3. The features I like most about SOP3 are the arranger track and the scratchpad. Sonar has mix recall and whereas I can workaround the arranger track and scratchpad, SOP3 doesn't offer me a workaround for mix recall. So I'm with Sonar
I have lots of DAWs and it's clear that all have their high points but only Sonar fills 95% of my needs. None of the others come any where near that so I'm happy to stay there.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 01:03:41 (permalink)
To answer the OP - no, S1 is not what SONAR should have been.   SONAR is SONAR, S1 is S1.   Horses for courses.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

musichoo
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 10:23:36 (permalink)
I had tried the demo. But SO3 just won't react to my sustain pedal. I don't have this problem in Splat and reason 8. I contacted Presonus but the answer is they can't help a demo customer. That is a fair answer and I do accept that. But that is also the end of SO3 for me.
I also have notion5 from the same company and it does not react to pedal. When contacted presonus's reply is notion5 does not support pedal.
I am just completely dumpfounded. I can't help but getting the impression that pianisst has been neglected by Presonus. Forgive me if I appear like I am ranting.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
rtucker55
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2177
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 10:58:44 (permalink)
musichoo
I had tried the demo. But SO3 just won't react to my sustain pedal. I don't have this problem in Splat and reason 8. I contacted Presonus but the answer is they can't help a demo customer. That is a fair answer and I do accept that. But that is also the end of SO3 for me.
I also have notion5 from the same company and it does not react to pedal. When contacted presonus's reply is notion5 does not support pedal.
I am just completely dumpfounded. I can't help but getting the impression that pianisst has been neglected by Presonus. Forgive me if I appear like I am ranting.

There is a midi filter in SO3 and it CC64 is checked it will ignore any sustain pedal events. They also have a Forums, like this one, where users try to provide some support. That would be the place to go for help with the demo.

Kind regards,
Rick

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
musichoo
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 11:30:18 (permalink)
rtucker55
musichoo

There is a midi filter in SO3 and it CC64 is checked it will ignore any sustain pedal events. They also have a Forums, like this one, where users try to provide some support. That would be the place to go for help with the demo.

Kind regards,
Rick

Thanks Ricks. Much Appreciated

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 11:49:55 (permalink)
most recent daw I bought when it was on offer a while back.. and the bonus is UK distro company gets a cut of the money also. it was ex steinberg staff who started it , and it's more akin to cubase. (and yer I own that also)

to compare daw to daw is silly, none of them are the same DEEP down.. some lack in area's some are far better. if there was one that did everything THAT would get my money. even the "under the hood" stuff becomes noticable in time.. it should be like a swan.. e.g. you only see it gliding on the top of the water *NOT* all the hard work that is going on underneath.. things like the new TAL sampler are interesting to me on that front.

papacucku
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 12:31:30 (permalink)
For me the stability thing is not relevant since about X2.  I used to have freezes when using melodyne.  I am happy with stability of sonar.  since X2 sonar seems to detect everything plugging in and out and ask if I want to add it. the audio drops out when I am doing too much but that is when I have made the driver settings in preferences too fast so I can "input monitor" with no delay for vocal recording.  so when mixing and playback on my computer I need to set the  slider over to at least 11-15 ms delay to stop audio from dropping.  When recording I use a simpler mix down (turn all the plugins off) and slide the slider bar to the left for better input monitoring, so I can hear the reverb or guitar effects on vocals or Guitar.    So I can't validate any stability concerns.  However maybe for one of these monthly updates, the bakers should just make it a patch/update month.  where all they do is deal with any outstanding tweaks that have fell through the cracks.  

I know one.  The Equalizer in the pro channel has a real time spectral analyzer view which shows the wave in the background of the eq display.  It is not exactly sound accurate as if you create a low pass filter and filter out way above where it shows the highest frequencies are, you can hear it taking out some of the very high.  If the screen is displaying the sound accurately then it should not have affected the sound yet. (according to the RT spectrum on the screen).  

There are probably dozens of little enhancements that can be made to existing features like this so maybe once a year they should not do new features but have an update rollup that just deals with making what is there more bullet proof.  That may be a bad example as it may make more sense for sonar to contract with fabfilter or someone to make an alternative plugin for the pro channel that already has tons of these features figured out.  (I would love fab filter to be intertwined with sonar like melodyne is.  )

Anyway I don't think Sonar is a "should have been". it is more relevant and constantly adapted than anything.  Now spectrasonics software and east west software?  Spectrosonics (Trillian , Omnisynth)has an update path that must circle the moon and east west just keeps bundling the same old stuff.  Thats my opinion.   I couldn't find a more dynamic in tune development community and shortest path first update strategy then with sonar.  

I LOVE presonus products for the most part.  Not the preamps too much.  But the scepter monitors and studio live AI stuff is a staple in my studio and live rigs.  Studio One?  I have it not even close. Sorry. This was obviously an ill informed comment. Keep an eye on studio one if you have an extra one. When I come across something I can't accomplish in Sonar with plugs ill wander about more.  

I have logic, studio one and have used pro tools.  Just my take on it. 

Had to edit my comment.  On updates and logic.  Really? where are the logic developers? You know to use the program full screen you have to change the resolution of the monitor?  yeah don't talk to me about logic. eww... (track templates sound good out of the box though..thats it).
post edited by papacucku - 2015/06/30 12:48:49

Rig1: Platinum. 1513 Intel Core i7 5930K (3.50GHz) 32GB DDR3 SSD, GTX 970 Windows  10 64. Focusrite Saffire 6i6. Presonus Monitors.

Rig 2:Platinum. Win 7,  Quad CPU 8 DDR3. SSD. RME multiface II, Oktopre MKII, StudioLive AI 16,  Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors.  
Drums:TAMA ImperialStar, Roland TD30
Keys: Yamaha Mx-61, M-audio Keystation IRIG I/O Midi Controllers.
Additional Plugs:Melodyne Editor, Izotope (all), Autotune, Trillian, East West(most),Addictive Drums2, Addictive Piano, AIR FX Collection.

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 14:39:55 (permalink)
I bought SO and made a few songs in it. When I bought it I thought I would use it a lot more than I have. For the most part it sits in my computer unused. I usually never think about which DAW I want to fire up. It's Sonar Platinum...I think this says a lot about my way of working. If I don't miss SO at all it means I'm perfectly content to be using Sonar for what I do. If I were discontent I wouldn't be using Sonar...it does everything I need and then some.
I have heard others say that sonar is some kind of a dinosaur in terms of using "old code". I would not agree with that statement. Sonar has more code because it does more. Yes some of it hails back to earlier times but if the code wasn't effective it would have been replaced or re written and this has been the case over time. Old code isn't bad code. You could say the same thing about any other DAW out there...they all have their "roots" in earlier versions but this doesn't make them bad products.
post edited by Starise - 2015/06/30 14:47:46

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 14:55:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/07/01 10:20:13
Actually, as of X1, the vast majority was replaced I believe, and since then
there have been steady advances.  Not to say that the "old" plugins weren't still
included, and some old code, but X1 was a tremendous leap with a LOT of new code IMO...

strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 15:44:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/06/30 16:38:30
Studio One is the easiest to use for a beginner I've ever used. You could do most things without ever having used a DAW before. Of course, everyone started wanting the bloat but I loved the first version for its simplicity. Easily the most intuitive.

The slightly more expensive version early on made going from idea to mastered very easy indeed.

All DAWs have their pluses and minuses. Whatever works for you. The fact is that anything done different or is missing in another DAW is always going to stand out. Some people will like it, some people won't. Hardly a shocker.
cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 16:35:43 (permalink)
I like SO a lot.  I like what it does and how it does it.  And it offers A LOT.

Leadfoot
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 18:24:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/06/30 18:30:59
I wish Harrrison Mixbus would come out with the update already. Just had to throw that in...
cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 18:27:27 (permalink)
Me to...

Today was a good day...I got

Sonar Foxboro with more goodies..
Pro Tools 12.1

All in all that's a pretty good day...and I wasn't expecting PT 12.1 at all!

Leadfoot
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 18:30:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/06/30 19:06:04
Foxboro is out? I missed the announcement. Gotta go...
cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 19:02:40 (permalink)
Ha...and I just got Win 10 Build 10159...great day!

Leadfoot
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 20:46:18 (permalink)
Wow! Hope it works well for you, Larry. I'm still on 7. I'm a wuss, I guess.
cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/06/30 21:47:24 (permalink)
Install went smooth....nice!!!

Starise
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 10:25:11 (permalink)
I don't dislike Studio One. In fact I like it...but something inside of me made the decision long before I admitted it to myself. I told myself that it might be because Sonar was familiar but as someone else has pointed out already SO is easy for almost anyone to get into quickly . Within 15 minutes I had learned key shortcuts for all the basics and I was zooming along with it...but I part ways with those who think it is the greatest thing to ever happen in a DAW. It didn't really seem to be leaps and bounds over anything I can already do in Sonar...and I found myself taking recordings I had made in Studio One into Sonar so I could do something to my audio that SO either couldn't accomplish or Sonar did it better. SO does have a great audio engine in it...but so does Sonar for my purposes. 

The way I see it Studio One is still trying to add  things that Sonar already has. I have been over to the Studio One forums on and off. One thing I find is that some people over there are thinking about jumping ship to Sonar. Some of them like certain things Sonar can do better...it never ends...no matter what someone has they think there's always something better....I want to concentrate on making music and let the DAW be very low on my priorities list.

To hear some talk it would seem that the right DAW almost makes the music for you...LOL!

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 11:21:02 (permalink)
One other quick question for those who think Sonar has "bloatware"...I think maybe I don't understand. I always associate bloatware as those useless advertising programs you sometimes get with a new factory computer..usually part of a program that requires you to pay to get the full version. 
The only possible association I can think of to bloatware in Sonar is maybe Melodyne? But even this is a fully functional program with the only limitation being that the included version is a single track mono use and the payed version is polyphonic. The plug ins are all complete as far as I can tell......Addicitve Drums is the full version. There may be a few smaller programs that want you to upgrade but these take up less than 1% of the program. 

Maybe I'm missing something ( entirely possible) but I just don't see a lot of "bloatware" in Sonar. I see a fair amount of fully functional third party programs included. I can't fault Sonar for including fully functional third party things...like Nomad Factory which I happen to like. The alternative is to buy something like Reason...which is highly proprietary and non inclusive...I will always opt for the first choice and this is one reason I don't use Reason :)

Twitter @Rodein

cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 11:34:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/07/01 23:57:52
I think what they are considering "bloatware" is all the 3rd party
extras that come with Sonar.  The thing is...most of the 3rd party
stuff that comes with Sonar I quite like...so to me it just increases
the value of the product, not diminishes it.

Would I like to see some much needed improvements...YES.
And I'm sure they'll come in due time...all things in moderation...

strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 12:02:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/07/01 12:38:38
....all things in moderation....

....as he buys more drums....
cclarry
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 12:32:40 (permalink)
strikinglyhandsome1
....all things in moderation....

....as he buys more drums....

HA...good point...can't argue that one...at all...

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 13:58:15 (permalink)
cclarry
I think what they are considering "bloatware" is all the 3rd party
extras that come with Sonar.  The thing is...most of the 3rd party
stuff that comes with Sonar I quite like...so to me it just increases
the value of the product, not diminishes it.

Would I like to see some much needed improvements...YES.
And I'm sure they'll come in due time...all things in moderation...

The AD package would have cost more than the Sonar upgrade. Most proprietary instruments bundled in DAWs are often lackluster.  
 As for S1 I've come across users who didn't upgrade because of lack of midi improvements. I may upgrade if they have a sale but S1v2 is good enough for me.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1