Helpful ReplySometimes I can't bring up Note properties

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2014/02/25 21:20:36 (permalink)
You know at first I didn't read his name and I was like oh boy, finally a troll entered the conversation but then I saw it was Shawn haha. :-)

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2014/02/26 14:14:22 (permalink)
kicksville
Thanks for filing with tech support, Jlien...curious to see what they say when you get through to 'em. I was wrong about one aspect of this little bug, though: it doesn't matter what the lowest note in the entire track is, it's the lowest note currently displayed that exhibits the problem. So my idea for a workaround to insert a C-1 at the very beginning of the track won't work. Inserting a note below the one on which you're trying to edit, then deleting it, works fine. Or, change to the edit, move, or delete tool, and you can bring up the note properties. Such a wee little bug, but it definitely gets old if you're doing a lot of editing below the staff

Jerry - tried what you suggested, but it doesn't matter where you click on the note, regardless of how far zoomed in (at least on my system). If the note is BOTH below the staff AND the lowest note currently displayed, right-clicking the smart tool will not bring up the note properties dialog,

Shawn - that was such an insightful answer! Very helpful.

And by "insightful" and "helpful," I mean "wow, this guy actually took the time to snark at somebody who was looking for an answer." Nice!

Are you using the pencil tool (not the selector tool)?  This is a very intermittent bug on my machine, sometimes I have no problem clicking on the lowest note on the staff, even if it's on a ledger line.  Other times I do.  I filed a Cakewalk Problem Report about this, thought it was fixed in X3d, but it's not really completely fixed.  There are easy workarounds:

1.  Use event inspector
2.  Use event list
3.  just select the note and call up process menu to do what you need to do on that note

As I said, enlarging the staff view usually does the trick.  Make sure you're using the pencil tool!
If you're still having problems, it could also be related to the type of graphics card and/or graphics driver you're using..

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

Carlo Celuque
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/01/01 20:53:52 (permalink)
Unfortunately Cakewalk didn´t work very much on staff sheet page and its functions. It used to have a third party tool that did a great deal of helping us working on the staff sheet although it is not working anymore and the creator quit it. I think that area is where Cakewalk need to work out. For me it is the weakest part of Sonar.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/01/01 21:56:07 (permalink)
I think we have determined that this problem happenes when you are trying to edit the lowest note in your score.

A workaround is to put a very low note at the very first of the score. (You can set the velocity to 0 and the duration to 1.)  When your song is finished, you can delete the note.

I know this is annoying, but it should solve the problem.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Carlo Celuque
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/01/02 18:19:08 (permalink)
Yes Konradh, that solve the problem for the moment, but I think that Cakewalk should give more attention on staff sheet and make it more user friendly in some aspects. Sometimes it is better to start a music on another program like Sibelius, Finale or Musescore save it as midi file and open it on Sonar and continue the creating process from there. If you try to start a new music using the staff sheet you will find out how cumbersome is the process. I learned also that you can point just to the left of the note and it´s properties will show up.Thank you for your help. Best Regards
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/01/02 23:30:37 (permalink)
Carlo, Since I use Staff View for almost 100% of my writing and arrangement, I would love any improvements Cakewalk could bring to it.  It has several annoying features/bugs, but I guess I've gotten used to them over the years.

Note that some DAWs (like Studio One) don't currently offer a Staff View at all.  I could not live with that.

Cheers and happy New Year.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Carlo Celuque
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/01/03 13:05:34 (permalink)
Sure Konradh. Maybe some day Cakewalk will listen to us and make some improvements on the staff view area of the program. Liked your new avatar.

All the best for you in 2015 too. Cheers!
pabloschmittcomposer@yahoo.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/06/29 21:14:09 (permalink)
I do everything in staff view and I have the same damn problem. And I waste time trying to get the properties to show up. I had SONAR 7 before, now I have SONAR PROFESSIONAL Subscription and the Note properties ALWAYS came up after right clicking.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/06/29 21:22:39 (permalink)
Try the update coming out in the next 24 hours or so.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/06/29 21:29:05

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: Sometimes I can't bring up Note properties 2015/06/30 12:46:14 (permalink)
polarbear
Sometimes, just totally intermittently, in Sonar X3d when I right click on a note instead of bringing up Note Properties it selects the note and then gives me a right click menu like as if I right clicked somewhere in the white space, which I absolutely didn't do.

After a bunch of messing around, trying a bunch of times, closing the staff view, reopening, two or three times, eventually I can right click the note to bring up Note Properties.

Is this just some kind of bug or is there something I'm not understanding? I think it happens mostly on longer notes, like ones that are held for at least a whole note.

That's been repaired in Sonar Platinum, but it does occur, only not as much.  The workaround with X3d is to either use the event inspector on the control bar, or try clicking just to the left or right of the note and make sure you're using the draw tool, not the select tool.  It only occurs when the note is below the staff, either on the space below the bottom line or the ledger lines below that.  One other workaround someone else suggested is to pop in a note lower than the one you want the properties for and then you can click on the higher note and get its properties.  But then you have to delete the lowest note so I didn't use that method. 

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1