Helpful ReplyIs PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 14:26:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/07/06 14:04:06
Starise
I don't dislike Studio One. In fact I like it...but something inside of me made the decision long before I admitted it to myself. I told myself that it might be because Sonar was familiar but as someone else has pointed out already SO is easy for almost anyone to get into quickly . Within 15 minutes I had learned key shortcuts for all the basics and I was zooming along with it...but I part ways with those who think it is the greatest thing to ever happen in a DAW. It didn't really seem to be leaps and bounds over anything I can already do in Sonar...and I found myself taking recordings I had made in Studio One into Sonar so I could do something to my audio that SO either couldn't accomplish or Sonar did it better. SO does have a great audio engine in it...but so does Sonar for my purposes. 

The way I see it Studio One is still trying to add  things that Sonar already has. I have been over to the Studio One forums on and off. One thing I find is that some people over there are thinking about jumping ship to Sonar. Some of them like certain things Sonar can do better...it never ends...no matter what someone has they think there's always something better....I want to concentrate on making music and let the DAW be very low on my priorities list.

To hear some talk it would seem that the right DAW almost makes the music for you...LOL!

That's where I'm at as well, Tim.   I like S1 and I always thought it was a fairly slick DAW (got on board at v1.65). However...  there's some intangible aspect to both that keeps me in SONAR land.  I do "master" my mixes in S1 + Ozone so that I'm at least doing something with it... 

I also have no immediate plans to upgrade to v3.   I do like some of the features they've implemented, but as an S1 Producer user the elimination of that middle tier doesn't sit so well.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/01 23:49:23 (permalink)
This is one area where I think S1 really excels...mastering. Not that Sonar isn't capable with all of those presets to get you close.   I think it's all of those cool intuitive mastering tools I liked in S1. They really do have that together well.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Is PreSonus' Studio One what SONAR should have been? 2015/07/02 14:31:51 (permalink)
I haven't tried the latest V3 of Studio one, only V2, but when I did I liked it ok, but not better than Sonar. Part of that may just be familiarity, part of it may be my work style. Whatever the case I thought it was nice, but I had no interest in buying it.

If I didn't have a DAW I might give it more of a look, but as it stands I don't find it to be any improvement on Sonar in a substantial way.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1