So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy??

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2015/07/02 12:53:24 (permalink)

So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy??

Did they just jump the gun?  Are they purposely yanking our chain?  Inquiring minds want to know.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

5 Replies Related Threads

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    Re: So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy?? 2015/07/02 13:56:13 (permalink)
    It is truly a freebie for all UAD-2/Apollo users! No strings attached, just download and enjoy. Basically a more refined, modern take on the original CS-1 series of plug-in modules. The original CS-1 is still included in the install, as well.

From the FAQ:
    Precision Mix Rack Collection | Universal Audio

What is the Precision Mix Rack Collection?
    Precision Mix Rack Collection gives Apollo and UAD users an intuitive and impressive sounding tool set right out of the box. The Precision Mix Rack Collection includes the Precision Channel Strip, Precision Delay and Modulation plug-ins, and the Precision Reflection Engine.

How does the Precision Mix Rack Collection differ from its predecessors from the CS-1?
    Besides graphic updates and applications improvements to make it more intuitive, the Precision Mix Rack Collection has many updates, including enhancements to the EQ filters and the compressor.

Practical workflow features such as the ability to swap EQ/dynamics routing, and the option to disable dynamics auto gain are now included, as well as easy to read Precision metering, for both signal level and gain reduction.

What improvements are in Precision Delay Mod and Precision Reflection Engine?
    The Precision Delay Mod plug-ins include expanded delay times, dub-style delay mutes, a sweepable 12 dB per octave high pass filter, wet/solo, linking of delay/mute/pan controls, plus a new, true ping pong delay mode (the previous Ping Pong mode is now correctly named "Crossover Delay"). Precision Reflection Engine adds wet/solo and linking of delay/mute/pan controls.

Why is there only one Chorus and one Flanger in the Precision Delay Mod's Mode menu?There used to be more in the DM-1.
    The original DM-1's three Chorus Modes were of all the same underlying topology, as were the two Flangers. Previously, changing the Mode updated the topology between Chorus, Flange and Delay, but also updated several other parameters including LFO; This made for a confusing user experience when auditioning the Modes. Precision Delay Mod's Mode menu now only selects the underlying topology, free from parameter dependencies. Variations in Chorus and Flanger types can be explored through the preset menu, or by experimentation with the LFO selections. The only parameter that may get "stomped" is Delay range: the delay, chorus and flanger effects each have unique delay ranges associated with the topology.

Do the Precision Mix Rack Collection replace all of the CS-1 plug-ins?
    No. The Precision Mix Rack Collection replaces all of the CS-1 plug-ins except the CS-1 plug-in itself. The CS-1 is still available for the customer who may require an exact sonic match for previously saved sessions. In the case of the CS-1's dedicated sub-modules (EX-1, DM-1 and RS-1), they will be replaced with the updated equivalents (Precision Channel Strip, Precision Delay Mod and Precision Reflection Engine) once the newer UAD software is installed.
    All preset loading and saving is cross compatible among both new and Legacy plug-ins.

Does the Precision Mix Rack Collection support forward session compatibility from the older CS-1 plug-ins?
    Generally, existing sessions using the CS-1 plug-ins should sound the same, or in some cases subtly better than before. Sessions that contain EX-1, DM-1, DM-1L, and/or RS-1 plug-ins will automatically open with their equivalent titles: Precision Channel Strip, Precision Delay Mod, Precision Delay Mod Long, and Precision Reflection Engine. Additionally, any UAD presets created under the original titles will still work with the new titles. However, backwards compatibility is not supported; therefore plug-in sessions or presets created with the Precision Mix Rack Collection will not open correctly in older UAD software versions that include the CS-1 plug-ins.

Besides the sonic improvements, in what other ways are sessions and/or presets saved with UAD v8.1 (and lower) impacted when loaded in v8.2 (and higher)?
    Slight UAD DSP increase: The improved EQ filters in the Precision Channel Strip, and the new low cut filter in the Precision Delay Mod/Precision Delay Mod L, require a bit more DSP than the older DM-1/DM-1L/CS-1.
    Slight UAD Memory increase: The longer available delay times in Precision Delay Mod/Precision Delay Mod L require a bit more memory than the older DM-1/DM-1L/CS-1.
    Slight output increase from dynamics module: A knee calculation error at small ratios in the original EX-1/CS-1 compressor is fixed in the Precision Channel Strip, which may result in higher output levels if the dynamics module was engaged.
    Echo shapes in Precision Reflection Engine are unavailable: The problematic Echo, Echo 2, and Ping Pong shapes are replaced with the Cube shape.
    Ping Pong delay mode loads as XOVER delay mode: This is a visual change only with no sonic impact.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Eddie TX
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy?? 2015/07/02 14:01:09 (permalink)
    This is a welcome free update to the long-in-the-tooth CS-1 channel strip, which worked OK but whose GUI was just plain ugly.  Looks like a couple of good features have been added to the delay, which is cool.

Cheers,
    Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
    The future exists in all directions.
    yorolpal
    Re: So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy?? 2015/07/02 15:11:27 (permalink)
    When I clicked through the email I received both yesterday and today the download buttons were inoperable.  Thanks for the link!

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    yorolpal
    Re: So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy?? 2015/07/02 15:21:01 (permalink)
    Nope...when I get to the download page for the new 8.2 software it says select your product and gives the usual mac or pc buttons.  But clicking on the pc button doesn't do anything.  No download starts, no other window or dialog appears.  What am I doing wrong?  I've never had any trouble updating my UAD before.

NEVER MIND...
    I wasn't checking the "select product" button...I was just clicking on the pc button.  I keep forgetting that UAD as a myriad of different platforms now of which my UAD2 is just one.  I'm just a dimwit.
    post edited by yorolpal - 2015/07/02 15:32:22

yorolpal
    Re: So what IS the deal with the UAD 8.2 freebie teaser thingy?? 2015/07/02 23:16:20 (permalink)
    One thing I will say is that UAD's method of installing it's VSTs sucks. It loads them all into the folder...mono...stereo...whatever...whether you own them or not so your plug count is grossly inflated. Bad form, if you ask me. Or even if you don't:-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1