Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends...

Author
vuzz14
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2015/07/02 12:10:42 (permalink)

Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends...

Just looking for your helpful strategies to deal with all the now defunct 32 bit DX plugs and Synths lost in the move to 64 bit land.
I found that many of my projects referenced 32bit DX versions of Dim Pro, Z3ta, Tassman, Soundforge effects plugs, etc, and quite a few Cakewalk effects, man I used the Timeworks Comp on everything!
    I can substitute the Effects stuff (wish I didn't have to..) but find the following process necessary for Synth replacement...
1. Use "Replace Synth" to choose Newer VST version.
2. "Connect Synth"
3.  Smack myself in head repeatedly for NOT noting the specific patch used in the project Clip info. Ugh. Please take note of this failing on my part and save yourselves! Really, this should be standard production housekeeping that I became lax with and now suffer with...just because I would "get to it later".. what an Ultra Maroon..
4.  Go back to the 32 bit Sonar project and Find the patch name. ...and so forth.
This is tiring...but the only way? Tried a DX shell but found that just flooded my plugins list with dupes. 
And if any of youse smart folks found a patch search function on Dim Pro I will personally travel to your house and give you a bottle of Jameson...
Thanks folks.      

17 Replies Related Threads

5MilesHigh
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 16:14:29 (permalink)
    I think I can help you with the Patch Names. Go to where Dim data is installed (not the Mutli-Sample data which is elsewhere), I'm going to assume C: (until CW fixes the errors of their ways). I've got a 'Dim LE' folder as well. It's kind of documented if you can find the right thread. For me on 64b SPro with manually installed versions of DimPro and DimLE. this is:
    C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs

If you load the Programs.lst file into say Notepad++ (not MS NotePad), you can search the file for patch names and the appropriate path in the Dim file selector to you patch is revealed. It's difficult to believe that CW continues to refuse to use a simple txt file, much less even an xml file for this type of data, but oh well. Nobody would update anyway.

Of  course, if you know the patch name and I've given you a folder path, just use MS file browser search it will show where it's hiding. I believe but haven't checked lately, that the 64b and 32b VSTis both use the same 'Progam Data' folder for patch lists.

Now I'm a bit curious about if RapturePro improved patch searches. Z3ta2 was a nice move in that direction.

I also have come to the conclusion that attempting bridging is a waste of time for those not really, really, really desperate.

I take my whiskey neat.

BRuys
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 16:41:07 (permalink)
    Why don't you load your old projects in the 32-bit version.  Bounce all the tracks with 32-bit DX effects to a new track.  Mute or archive the original track.  If you ever decide to replace those old FX with new ones, then mute or archive the bounced track and apply a new FX to the original tracks.

Then you have all your old projects sounding the way they always did, but you can revisit them with new FX in future if you need/want to.
    post edited by BRuys - 2015/07/02 16:47:46
    5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 16:56:12 (permalink)
    The problem with bouncing from 32b project to audio to get to 64b Sonar is that a working Sonar-32b installation is needed and C3 doesn't do this. Manual setup and maintenance are required! After several months trying to sort this out, I've ended up with a 32b install of S-X1d for older projects in addition to my SPro, and then still have to deal with getting SonarPro working well enough to import the audio. If I have to go to audio to transfer a midi track using a 32b VST, I take the audio into FL Studio, not Sonar.

And one needs to keep track of the 'new' features/FX,etc not available in the 'obsolete 32b' version of the song when editing it for export.

I haven't had much success with bridging to date and have stopped even trying.

Maybe someone knows a better way?

5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 17:02:44 (permalink)
    One more note. I did this because I did try to have both the 64b and 32b SPro installed at the same time (32b manually naturally), but they share a bunch of locations in the Cakewalk Projects and Content dirs which was problematic for me. Apparently, they can't be configured separately, though I tried by manually adjusting the config in the Preferences for each. Didn't work, don't have time to try again.

CW's position is to go 64b, and abandon all hope for one's 'ye old stuff'.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 17:17:01 (permalink)
    m.letcher@q.com

Maybe someone knows a better way?

Since the 32bit projects were made before the new SONAR, install a different 32bit version. There is no need to use new features for old projects. An older version will have a completely separate install unless you choose to share plug-ins which I would recommend avoiding.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 17:36:15 (permalink)
    vuzz14
    Just looking for your helpful strategies to deal with all the now defunct 32 bit DX plugs and Synths lost in the move to 64 bit land.
    I found that many of my projects referenced 32bit DX versions of Dim Pro, Z3ta, Tassman, Soundforge effects plugs, etc, and quite a few Cakewalk effects, man I used the Timeworks Comp on everything!
        I can substitute the Effects stuff (wish I didn't have to..) but find the following process necessary for Synth replacement...
    1. Use "Replace Synth" to choose Newer VST version.
    2. "Connect Synth"
    3.  Smack myself in head repeatedly for NOT noting the specific patch used in the project Clip info. Ugh. Please take note of this failing on my part and save yourselves! Really, this should be standard production housekeeping that I became lax with and now suffer with...just because I would "get to it later".. what an Ultra Maroon..
    4.  Go back to the 32 bit Sonar project and Find the patch name. ...and so forth.
    This is tiring...but the only way? Tried a DX shell but found that just flooded my plugins list with dupes. 
    And if any of youse smart folks found a patch search function on Dim Pro I will personally travel to your house and give you a bottle of Jameson...
    Thanks folks.      

One of our members has a utility called ProjectScope that finds .cwp projects queries them and lists the audio files, plugins and this is the bit for you, maybe the preset used. I'm not sure but for a few minutes effort it could help you out. In any case it's a must for organisation anyway.

The link in my signature goes to the sticky thread in the Software forum where there a list of Utilties made by some of our cleverer members for our use exclusively with Sonar. You'll find all ththe necessary love nks there. All the best.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 17:40:48 (permalink)
    I have not used ProjectScope but did read the write-up. I could not see where it lists presets. There rest of the info while useful w/o the presets, you are still stuck opening projects in a 32bit host.
    5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 18:44:10 (permalink)
    I haven't had any problems finding a Dim Patch using MS Search if I can find the dir (or at least the drv). 
    Again, another reason I feel obligated to mention that mklink data is stored on the C: drv in the reg. If I'm about to install a new HDD data drv (as I am), I'm pretty sure that I'll break every mklink connection by reinstalling a 3 month old BU. I'm not bored enough to do that experiment. 

The good news is that I did just do a search in the HIDDEN "Program Data" on the C: drv (though I suspect that I might have already relocated that one as well as my Docs onto a HDD from C:) for the patch name "Lo-fi Ritual.prog" and located a half dozen "ritual's". The Lo-fi is in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs\Digital Sound Factory Planet Earth\Effects.

You are welcome, sir.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 19:11:18 (permalink)
    scook
    I have not used ProjectScope but did read the write-up. I could not see where it lists presets. There rest of the info while useful w/o the presets, you are still stuck opening projects in a 32bit host.

That's why I wrote "maybe the preset used. I'm not sure". I used it only to test it for basic stability. As I was hosting it on my Onedrive, I wanted to at least assure potential users that I've checked it out and it runs on my system and doesn't break anything obvious.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/02 19:16:05 (permalink)
    That's why I do post about results and observations, in addition to questions. To quote M.Roach: "Do not underestimate the depths of my ignorance ...".
    vuzz14
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/03 21:08:33 (permalink)
    Thanks folks for the response...Mudgel, can't wait to try some of those apps...very interesting.
    Agree that you can find Dim Pro patches via quick MS search, but I am surprised that function isn't built in.
    Z3ta 2 is just great in that respect.
    I have frozen a good a mount of tracks, which alleviates some future work...and have even had good luck importing that frozen wav. track right back into the 64 bit. Sonar .cwp.  Thought that would be a struggle but easy as cake. 
    Alas " CW's position is to go 64b, and abandon all hope for one's 'ye old stuff' "... that is true and I can live with that. 
    m. Letcher....I left the bottle on your doorstep.... 
    5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/03 23:18:05 (permalink)
    Now, I just checked my doorstep and I didn't see it. Even in the mailbox. I live in pretty safe neighborhood.(They caught the guy stealing my neighbors dairy delivered milk, fresh at dawn), so I don't think that's the problem. I'll look again, but I suspect that you may not be a person of your word. 

Have fun anyway. I mean, you asked, and that's the best method I've found, and I do it, though probably less often than you.
    5MilesHigh
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/03 23:20:42 (permalink)
    Freezes work but get tricky to edit, so tweak it like it will be the last time, because it probably will be. The audio will be just a memory, file, note, something like that anyway.

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/06 00:14:20 (permalink)
    Vuzz14,

Timeworks compressor,  WOW that was in Sonar 2.0 and 3.0.  When did Cakewalk get rid of Timeworks Compressor and EQ?  These were great plugins back in the day.  I made many songs with these plugins.

Timeworks Compressor

Timeworks EQ

post edited by Jesse G - 2015/07/06 00:21:41

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/07 11:43:41 (permalink)
    Jesse G
    Vuzz14,

Timeworks compressor,  WOW that was in Sonar 2.0 and 3.0.  When did Cakewalk get rid of Timeworks Compressor and EQ?  These were great plugins back in the day.  I made many songs with these plugins.

Timeworks Compressor

Timeworks EQ

Wow... flashbacks.  I used the @#$% out of those two.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/07 12:34:07 (permalink)
    Interesting to see the similarities with quadcurve.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Movin" On Up to 64bit, leaving behind old DX friends... 2015/07/07 18:46:36 (permalink)
    Personally, I tried going 64 bit but, lost too many old plugin friends that I rely on. Also, didn't really notice any real difference or improvement moving to 64 bit. Went back to 32 bit. Works for me. Just have not seen any benefit to going 64 bit.

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1