Frustrated with right-click at piano roll

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tomixornot
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1674
2015/07/03 00:20:47 (permalink)

Frustrated with right-click at piano roll

I wanted to select range of notes, but with Platinum, it kicks into Properties (right click without highlighting the range of note/s).

Anyone experiencing this too ?
post edited by tomixornot - 2015/07/03 00:27:12

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
- Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
- Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum

50 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 00:23:19 (permalink)
    I need to re-do the above a few times, sometimes the notes are selected first try, and sometimes it takes a few range-select in order to really get into range select (without the properties kicking in).

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 01:30:15 (permalink)
    Unless I'm mistaken, smply click-drag (left)

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 08:33:52 (permalink)
    Click-drag left makes a new note then it follows the drag ... one of the dumb behaviours of the smart tool.   I really wish they'd devote some time to understanding how people use the tool for midi.     But right-click in an empty spot and drag a selecting rectangle should work for the OP.   Because it's a rectangle you have to plan ahead and for the first click you must hit either the top left or the bottom right of what will be the selection area. 

While on the dumb tool:  alt-left-click is an acceptable, if suboptimal, way to enter a note with a single click, but THEN the tool shifts to a weird scissors-thing, completely useless for midi. 
    DRanck
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 608
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 09:24:26 (permalink)
    tomixornot
    I wanted to select range of notes, but with Platinum, it kicks into Properties (right click without highlighting the range of note/s).

It sounds like you don't have the Smart Tool selected. Perhaps you have the Select Tool selected? That would display properties on right click. If you have the Select Tool active, you left click and drag to select multiple notes. If you have the Smart Tool active, you right click and drag to select multiple notes.

My Sound Cloud
    Website
    Youtube Channel
    The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
    Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
    maximumpower
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 09:46:39 (permalink)
    DRanck
    tomixornot

It sounds like you don't have the Smart Tool selected. Perhaps you have the Select Tool selected? That would display properties on right click. If you have the Select Tool active, you left click and drag to select multiple notes. If you have the Smart Tool active, you right click and drag to select multiple notes.

I have/had the same issue as the OP. I didn't post because I thought it was me. After reading your post, DRanck, I was sure I had the Smart Tool selected. I loaded up a project with notes in the PRV and the Smart Tool was already selected. Right-click drag worked perfect every time. I clicked on the Select Tool and repeated the OPs described behavior.

So it appears, I did not have the Smart Tool selected before. What is strange is I never intentionally selected any tool before so I don't know why it is now working and not working before. I am just going to chalk this up to user error on my part and be happy I now know what to do.

Thanks for posting the solution (at least for me)!

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 09:53:13 (permalink)
    Keni

Keni,

Left click by itself will position the now time to the location. 

Left click+drag will draw a new note on the piano roll.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 09:58:46 (permalink)
    maximumpower
    DRanck
    tomixornot

I have/had the same issue as the OP. I didn't post because I thought it was me. After reading your post, DRanck, I was sure I had the Smart Tool selected. I loaded up a project with notes in the PRV and the Smart Tool was already selected. Right-click drag worked perfect every time. I clicked on the Select Tool and repeated the OPs described behavior.

So it appears, I did not have the Smart Tool selected before. What is strange is I never intentionally selected any tool before so I don't know why it is now working and not working before. I am just going to chalk this up to user error on my part and be happy I now know what to do.

Thanks for posting the solution (at least for me)!

I'm at the Smart Tool (star option) most of the time. I just did a test and making sure Smart Tool is selected.. and (edit : right -drag) left+drag did select note range as normal, but I did hit into the properties at least once. And I'm quite sure my hand is steady. It's like the more you range select, Sonar 'got' hinted that is what you want and do the right thing.. :)
    post edited by tomixornot - 2015/07/03 10:05:26

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 10:08:38 (permalink)
    I have rarely, if ever felt the need to use any tool other than the Smart Tool.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 10:17:24 (permalink)
    I'm still thinking there is some problem with it (if not, it must be my hand).. selecting large number of notes is fine. It's when you're trying to select one or two notes (sometimes selecting half of a single note) out of a bunch that you don't want to touch.. that's when the properties kick in.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 11:53:30 (permalink)
    Left click-drag on the keyboard will select a note range and doing the same on the time line will restrict the time range...

Right-click-drag in the notes start the click-drag not on a note... After selecting a group if there are notes you don't want, Cotler-click on the individual notes to deselect them...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 20:01:53 (permalink)
    It's when you're trying to select one or two notes (sometimes selecting half of a single note) out of a bunch that you don't want to touch.. that's when the properties kick in.
    No question, I get this very frequently.   It is the foolish choice of "zones" on a midi note .... zoom in and in and in and in, and you can see the cursor change.     I wish they'd realize that midi is different than audio, and we deal with very small units which do not lend themselves to zoning. 
    OldTimerNewComer
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 20:30:00 (permalink)
    tomixornot
    Keni

Keni,

Left click+drag and click-drag (left) are NOT the same thing.

Mel

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
    Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
    AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
    Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
    Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
    WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
    Windows 10 Pro
    Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
    https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

OldTimerNewComer
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 20:30:01 (permalink)
    tomixornot
    Keni

Keni,

Left click+drag and click-drag (left) are NOT the same thing.

Mel

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
    Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
    AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
    Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
    Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
    WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
    Windows 10 Pro
    Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
    https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 20:35:14 (permalink)
    williamcopper
    It's when you're trying to select one or two notes (sometimes selecting half of a single note) out of a bunch that you don't want to touch.. that's when the properties kick in.
    No question, I get this very frequently.   It is the foolish choice of "zones" on a midi note .... zoom in and in and in and in, and you can see the cursor change.     I wish they'd realize that midi is different than audio, and we deal with very small units which do not lend themselves to zoning. 

I don't see an alternative to having zones. A MIDI note's zones are left edge, right edge, main body, and upper strip for adjusting velocity. Which zone would you get rid of? I think you pretty much need a way to extend the beginning, extend the end, move the clip, and adjust velocity.

If you need a bigger target, doesn't the MIDI Microscope magnify it enough? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm really trying to understand how having four zones is a foolish choice. I just don't see how you could get by with less, and MIDI Microscope takes care of matters when the notes are really tiny.

I don't have a problem. so I can't make a suggestion to the Bakers on how to fix your problem unless I understand what it is.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anderton
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 20:46:00 (permalink)

tomixornot
    I'm at the Smart Tool (star option) most of the time. I just did a test and making sure Smart Tool is selected.. and (edit : right -drag) left+drag did select note range as normal, but I did hit into the properties at least once. And I'm quite sure my hand is steady. It's like the more you range select, Sonar 'got' hinted that is what you want and do the right thing.. :)

You have to right-click and hold the mouse button down, then drag. If you release the mouse button for even a millisecond, if you're not holding the button down firmly, if the contacts are dirty, or if the mouse has an intermittent switch, then the connection will open and the Properties menu will appear. I suppose (but don't know) that if the mouse is a high speed type or maybe even a wireless one, then something could interrupt the switch connection and cause Properties to appear.

You might want to try a different mouse and see what happens. They don't last forever, and the switch can be one of the first things to go...and depending on where you live, contacts can oxidize more readily than in other places.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 21:29:30 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I don't see an alternative to having zones. A MIDI note's zones are left edge, right edge, main body, and upper strip for adjusting velocity. Which zone would you get rid of? I think you pretty much need a way to extend the beginning, extend the end, move the clip, and adjust velocity.

If you need a bigger target, doesn't the MIDI Microscope magnify it enough? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm really trying to understand how having four zones is a foolish choice. I just don't see how you could get by with less, and MIDI Microscope takes care of matters when the notes are really tiny.

I don't have a problem. so I can't make a suggestion to the Bakers on how to fix your problem unless I understand what it is.

The problem w/ zones is that faffing around w/ the mouse to get the cursor over the 2 pixels that turn the cursor into the tool you need will turn you cross-eyed and the MIDI microscope is enough to give you an aneurysm. I do a ton of MIDI editing and my workflow has been completely shot since I upgraded to Splat and lost user-customizable draw tools. Bringing that feature back is what we need Cakewalk to get on with the quickness. People have been screaming for it on the feedback forum.

post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/07/03 21:42:13
    Anderton
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 22:17:29 (permalink)
    Notecrusher
    People have been screaming for it on the feedback forum.

Is this the thread you're referring to? It's the only one I could find.

Maybe I'm just not getting it but it seems vague, and the link to something more substantive seems to be broken. Can you give me a use case or how this feature would be configured? I have a feeling that maybe you're on to something but I'm not quite sure what, because I've adapted to the smart tool/MIDI microscope/function keys combination, which works well for me.

Perhaps you mean not having to use function keys but having a "pool" of functions you assign to the smart tool? But then you still need zones or something to influence how the smart tool works. I don't see how you could provide multiple functions for a single event without either function keys or zones within notes, and I think going past the current four zones would be unwieldy.

Help me out here...it's hard for me to try and imagine a solution for something where I don't have a problem, I need to understand the problem and more importantly, the solution in more detail.

Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/03 23:46:19 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Notecrusher
    People have been screaming for it on the feedback forum.

Is this the thread you're referring to? It's the only one I could find.

Maybe I'm just not getting it but it seems vague, and the link to something more substantive seems to be broken. Can you give me a use case or how this feature would be configured? I have a feeling that maybe you're on to something but I'm not quite sure what, because I've adapted to the smart tool/MIDI microscope/function keys combination, which works well for me.

Perhaps you mean not having to use function keys but having a "pool" of functions you assign to the smart tool? But then you still need zones or something to influence how the smart tool works. I don't see how you could provide multiple functions for a single event without either function keys or zones within notes, and I think going past the current four zones would be unwieldy.

Help me out here...it's hard for me to try and imagine a solution for something where I don't have a problem, I need to understand the problem and more importantly, the solution in more detail.

There are tons of individual complaints just like this post.
    "It makes me nuts that left-click for this tool does this instead of that."
    "How I wish right-click-drag worked the way I wanted it too with this other tool."

The problem is Cakewalk has provided a one size fits all solution to editing, in particular MIDI editing, by removing the option to user-configure the edit palette.

The solution for everyone's issues is bringing back user-configurable tools.

Zones are what enables lots of functions to be crammed onto the smart tool. The other tools don't use zones. Any user can fashion a brilliantly useful tool set for their personal workflow by stripping out functions that they don't use or rarely use and just assigning those functions that they use a lot. You basically follow the same philosophy Cake did w/ the tool palette: the smart tool is your general use tool and you suffer zones. The other tools are for certain kinds of precision work where you're only using a few tools and you can access them w/ just the left and right mouse and distinguish further w/ click-dragging, (and I would rather put up w/ shift keys than zones), and you have a few of those bullet tools. But YOU define those tools instead of Cake defining them blindly for you.

Hope that clears things up.
    post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/07/04 00:45:26
    tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 12:09:34 (permalink)
    Freshly booted PC, opened Sonar, open project, range select notes, properties kicks in. Tried 4 times, same thing happens. By now I was thinking I'm gonna record it on my camcorder.. but by the fifth and above, problem goes away. I do make sure Smart Tool is on. Perhaps my mouse contact wasn't clean and a few click does the trick.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 12:19:30 (permalink)
    I do see the "range" being highlighted first, which means I didn't simply right click and release (or accidentally release or the contact is not clean). But when the range is fully selected, upon releasing the click, properties kick in.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

Anderton
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 12:24:20 (permalink)
    tomixornot
    I do see the "range" being highlighted first, which means I didn't simply right click and release (or accidentally release or the contact is not clean). But when the range is fully selected, upon releasing the click, properties kick in.

I've tried this over and over (and over), but cannot duplicate. The only possible suggestion I have is try another mouse. (I assume you're talking about the PRV and not the inline one, yes? I tested only with the main PRV.)

tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 12:28:21 (permalink)
    Anderton
    tomixornot

I've tried this over and over (and over), but cannot duplicate. The only possible suggestion I have is try another mouse. (I assume you're talking about the PRV and not the inline one, yes? I tested only with the main PRV.)

Well that only happens the first 4 times, by the fifth and thereafter.. it operates normally.

I normally double click on the midi track to open PRV and after editing, move to another midi track for editing. Most of my current work involved mainly midi.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 12:32:07 (permalink)
    Quick question, I do not edit MIDI extremely often, but curious if you folks have tired keyboard binding the specific tools you are using in your workflows? Each one of them is currently unbound (for me anyway), but can be. Preferences->Customization->Keyboard Shortcuts (advanced mode) and type "tool" in the search box. That would at least quickly limit the cursor to specific functions, but not sure if this has been tried or useful to those posting here.

I can certainly see the Smart tool being issues with all of its embedded functionality on tiny hot spots.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 13:00:39 (permalink)
    Here is the video

https://youtu.be/l3j9houF39E

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 13:06:10 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I use this as standard, and have not yet had any problems with it. I think people use SONAR in a personally way, resulting in different behaviors.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 13:06:12 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I use this as standard, and have not yet had any problems with it. I think people use SONAR in a personally way, resulting in different behaviors.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/04 13:39:00 (permalink)
    Ha!

I made an exception to day and started using the Pattern Brush, but always switched back to the Smart Tool when I'd finished copying

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tomixornot
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/05 04:33:45 (permalink)
    >Here is the video

https://youtu.be/l3j9houF39E

Does this look like a bug ? If yes, I'm going ahead to file a bug report.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Frustrated with right-click at piano roll 2015/07/05 05:06:46 (permalink)
    I think note select only captures notes entirely in the box (just in case you happen to touch stray notes you don't want). Not 100% sure though. Clips just need to be touched to get selected.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1