Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
thechurchboi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
2015/01/23 01:27:48 (permalink)
5 (6)

Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR

I hope that some of my suggestions here are already sorted in the newest version of my favorite DAW.

In order of whatever pops into mind...

1. Arranging Tracks - Hate hovering my cursor on a track until I find the up-down arrow symbol, which happens to be in the weirdest areas possible.
- Just get rid of the symbol altogether and make it so that clicking any blank space does the trick.

2. Meters - It would be nice if the option to turn segments off on meters, kept colors  - green and orange - unchanged.

3. Compacted Plug-in Buttons - Its not a good look when you load up a small plug-in and have to look at the grey space on the side that its not using up.
- Arrange all the buttons etc. closer to the left.

4. Improve Browser Searches - Searching for a file in the browser would not bring up any results if that file is in a folder. That's not a very helpful browser at all.

5. "Beatzone"/"Dropscape"? - Frankly, Beatscape, Dropzone and also Cyclone aren't very inspiring and is now pretty much obsolete in my view.
- As I hinted above with the names, create something new that can really make stuff happen with samples and (drum) pads. Something to rival Native Instruments' Battery.

6. Wave Export with Markers - Can a brutha have the option to export wave tracks with markers now?

7. Inspector Scrolling - Its very nice to scroll up and down in the Inspector, but its annoying when you move away from the Inspector and then try to scroll up/down in the Track View and the Inspector moves instead.
- Have it so that its focus-oriented, so once I've moved my cursor off of the Inspector, its no longer in focus and I can scroll up/down in the Track View without having to click on it first.

8. Exporting Stems with Custom Names
- When exporting tracks as stems (e.g instrument tracks) you always end up with the names of the soft synth that the instrument track is routed to instead of the custom name you give them. It's nice to know what soft synth I used on a track but it's nicer to see the names that I've given them.

I'll be back when I remember more...

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ASUS Z77 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3770 @3.4Ghz
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
SONAR X3e Producer
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
post edited by thechurchboi - 2015/02/04 01:15:09
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/01/23 09:25:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)

thechurchboi
I hope that some of my suggestions here are already sorted in the newest version of my favorite DAW.

In order of whatever pops into mind...

1. Arranging Tracks - Hate hovering my cursor on a track until I find the up-down arrow symbol, which happens to be in the weirdest areas possible.
- Just get rid of the symbol altogether and make it so that clicking any blank space does the trick.

Yep...especially when I have shrunk the tracks to fit more on the screen.

thechurchboi
7. Inspector Scrolling - Its very nice to scroll up and down in the Inspector, but its annoying when you move away from the Inspector and then try to scroll up/down in the Track View and the Inspector moves instead.
- Have it so that its focus-oriented, so once I've moved my cursor off of the Inspector, its no longer in focus and I can scroll up/down in the Track View without having to click on it first.

Absolutely would love this one as well.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Woodyoflop
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 281
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/01/23 09:38:11 (permalink)
+1 (1)
The inspector scrolling would focus change would be great. Can't tell u how many times iv switch to a different section of project trying to scroll ha. Not a huge deal breaker for me I love sonar. But just lil things like that make things easier and smoother.
thechurchboi
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 11:11:41 (permalink)

9. More Options for Creating New Projects
I know this isn't something that's only in Sonar but it's sad to see that the only options you have when creating new projects is the name of the project, it's location and audio path, and template. I would also like the option to at least set my bitrates and sample rates without going into Preferences to change it!

10. Can't edit automation - by selecting/highlighting and dragging the upper part of the envelope - when the envelope is in jump mode.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ASUS Z77 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 3770, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
SONAR X3e Producer, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 11:55:30 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Lists like this are not very useful. Especially if they are not maintained. SONAR now performs recursive searches in the browser. Unrelated feature requests should have their own threads.
Spencer
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 13:24:02 (permalink)
+2 (2)
old thread, but still- Battery 3 is so good, even NI themselves were not able to compete against it and Battery 4 was pathetic in comparison, so really I don't see how cakewalk, who don't exactly have a nice track record in regards to instruments (apparently envelope retriggers are complicated), would stand a chance. I've said it over and over, but the dead last thing cakewalk needs to make is, actually, anything at all that ends with .vst.
thechurchboi
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 19:19:37 (permalink)
scook
Lists like this are not very useful. Especially if they are not maintained. SONAR now performs recursive searches in the browser. Unrelated feature requests should have their own threads.

Noted.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ASUS Z77 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 3770, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
SONAR X3e Producer, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
thechurchboi
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 19:26:19 (permalink)
Spencer
old thread, but still- Battery 3 is so good, even NI themselves were not able to compete against it and Battery 4 was pathetic in comparison, so really I don't see how cakewalk, who don't exactly have a nice track record in regards to instruments (apparently envelope retriggers are complicated), would stand a chance. I've said it over and over, but the dead last thing cakewalk needs to make is, actually, anything at all that ends with .vst.

I hear that! I think I can now accept that Cakewalk simply isn't very good at developing certain software-related things. 

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/06/29 19:31:58 (permalink)
If this was laid out as one request=one thread I might vote for some of these.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/01 10:55:49 (permalink)
You can use preferences to set the meters to whatever color you like, including orange/green.

Or am I missing your point?

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 05:10:46 (permalink)
-1 (1)
Spencer

Cakewalk actually have a completely different (to Sonar's) development team working on cross platform (Win/OS X) plugins, synths & fx.

You've been a member here for ages but I've recently started noticing you posting again but it all seems really negative stuff. Why don't you get your gripe out and start contributing positively.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
hanstheman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 07:46:25 (permalink)
I like your thread. I think when one has invested years and money in a piece of software and the software is just missing a few essentials it makes sense to get in contact with the developers.
What I think is sad is that it all just seems so disorganized. I mean if you find a bug and you write on the forum there is no proper feedback as to whether or not this bug will ever be fixed - or is even considered a bug. Are we supposed to write directly to tech hotline with simple feature requests/ bug fixing suggestions? 
Who are responsible for viewing forum threads and organizing feature request? And where are they listed so that consumers have a proper change of knowing in what direction the development is aimed? 
I wrote many months ago about the issue with high resolution screens and turning knobs without anybody in the forums knowing anything about it (besides some having the same problem) - only to find out that this was already a "known issue" listed somewhere on the huge cakewalk site. I mean isn't there a knowledgeable forum moderator to go through forum posts and answer simple questions? 
Considering simple feature requests, if in two years time Sonar still doesn't allow me to move more than one track at a time - and that the whole track moving feedback is still so confusing I would properly look to another DAW.
And there are other confusing user interface things that bugs me - accidentally turning knobs when using mouse wheel scroll when scrolling the screen up and down is another serious issue for me, please just allow me to uncheck the "mouse wheel turns knob" feature. 
And the "double space bar click returns time marker to zero" is also just plain stupid! (wrote about that one before but no reply if they would actually consider fixing this, at least allow one to turn it off) 
Yeah - and we cannot edit gain in audio clips directly like you can in Pro tools, well we could if we would like to spend 2 min on it per clip... In Pro tools you just select an area of the clip and with buttons change the gain of the actual audio clip (not automation). We have to choose process effect and load up some vst and change the gain staging in that one. 
Alternatively we could automate the gain staging, but there is no way to make the automation line completely horizontal. You can draw a straight line, but it doesn't snap to horizontal. In Pro tools you select the area of a clip and just drag down from the top, automatically making a horizontal straight line. 

BTW, on a positive note, I got a Pro tools student subscription but gave up on Pro tools immediately - the reason was their audio engine, couldn't even run 2048 samples like I'm used to in Sonar! So if I ever should change DAW Studio one is in my eyes the only competitive candidate, and only in certain areas. Heck you don't even have folders in Pro tools... 
hanstheman
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 07:48:27 (permalink)
Btw forgot to write, I've been using Sonar since home studio 4... 

Spencer
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 16:30:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby williamcopper 2015/07/05 16:41:14
0 (2)
mudgel
Cakewalk actually have a completely different (to Sonar's) development team working on cross platform (Win/OS X) plugins, synths & fx.

You've been a member here for ages but I've recently started noticing you posting again but it all seems really negative stuff. Why don't you get your gripe out and start contributing positively.

I'm a paying customer, been so for ages, I'll whine and moan all day long if I please, make sure to tell me if I break any kind of forum rules. There's lots of my threads in this section, those are my positive contributions. Not that they'll ever see the light of day, since it's becoming increasingly clear that Gibson gave the word that Sonar would now cater first and foremost to traditional musicians and recordists. If the next big feature was a way to fish out a pick from a guitar, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. At this rate you won't see me around suggesting clever ideas, helping others and ****ing at the snail-pace development of the core program for much longer because migrating to FL seems like a better idea every day as Sonar gets more outdated and behind the curve.

To tell you the truth, had I not discovered MUX which allows me to spend as much time as possible outside of Sonar proper in my projects, I'd probably be gone already.
post edited by Spencer - 2015/07/04 16:45:27
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 16:55:37 (permalink)
Spencer
mudgel

I'm a paying customer, been so for ages, I'll whine and moan all day long if I please, make sure to tell me if I break any kind of forum rules. There's lots of my threads in this section, those are my positive contributions. Not that they'll ever see the light of day, since it's becoming increasingly clear that Gibson gave the word that Sonar would now cater first and foremost to traditional musicians and recordists. If the next big feature was a way to fish out a pick from a guitar, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. At this rate you won't see me around suggesting clever ideas, helping others and ****ing at the snail-pace development of the core program for much longer because migrating to FL seems like a better idea every day as Sonar gets more outdated and behind the curve.

To tell you the truth, had I not discovered MUX which allows me to spend as much time as possible outside of Sonar proper in my projects, I'd probably be gone already.

I'm with you. Can we get Gibson to sell Cakewalk back to Roland? Sorry to say though, I've looked at FL and I'm not impressed. Also purchased Bitwig and tried that for a while but it simply isn't ready for prime-time. 

You mentioned another product previously in conjunction w/ MUX, what was it?
Spencer
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 20:28:16 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Nerve, it replaces sonar's step sequencer admirably. Huge upgrade.

No daw is perfect and neither is FL but its automation system and piano roll are light years ahead of sonar, gotta admit it. It's really slick.
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/04 21:07:27 (permalink)
-1 (1)
What kind of charge do you guys get out of this?

Curious minds want to know..

Always wanting to poop on things to make themselves feel better, I guess...

Notecrusher
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 02:30:23 (permalink)
Spencer

No daw is perfect and neither is FL but its automation system and piano roll are light years ahead of sonar, gotta admit it. It's really slick.

Hmmm, since I looked last there is a new version of Floops. Looks really good and the GUI has been overhauled which was what bothered me before. Would like to discuss it with you, made a thread here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3250857.aspx#3250857
post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/07/05 16:30:53
mudgel
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 05:08:59 (permalink)
0 (2)
I have a suggestion for all you dissatisfied guys.

Why don't you spend some time learning the software you whinge so much about. If it doesn't do what you want and if you really think Sonar was better off with Roland than with Gibson... I can't even finish the sentence.... Where do people come up with these incredible insights? Perhaps with those genius skills you could get work as carnival fortune tellers.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mudgel
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 05:10:39 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Notecrusher
Spencer

Hmmm, since I looked last there is a new version of Floops. Looks really good and the GUI has been overhauled which was what bothered me before. Would like to discuss it with you, made a thread in the coffee shop here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3250527.aspx#3250527

There's actually a forum where non Cakewalk software can be discussed. The Software forum

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

zoniktheflame
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 14:41:37 (permalink)
"""5. "Beatzone"/"Dropscape"? - Frankly, Beatscape, Dropzone and also Cyclone aren't very inspiring and is now pretty much obsolete in my view.
- As I hinted above with the names, create something new that can really make stuff happen with samples and (drum) pads. Something to rival Native Instruments' Battery.

6. Wave Export with Markers - Can a brutha have the option to export wave tracks with markers now?

7. Inspector Scrolling - Its very nice to scroll up and down in the Inspector, but its annoying when you move away from the Inspector and then try to scroll up/down in the Track View and the Inspector moves instead.
- Have it so that its focus-oriented, so once I've moved my cursor off of the Inspector, its no longer in focus and I can scroll up/down in the Track View without having to click on it first.""""

please update this , btw beatzone and dropscape is obsolete in my view tooo
Notecrusher
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 16:09:49 (permalink)
-1 (1)
charlyg

mudgel

Why don't you spend some time learning the software you whinge so much about. If it doesn't do what you want and if you really think Sonar was better off with Roland than with Gibson... I can't even finish the sentence.... Where do people come up with these incredible insights? Perhaps with those genius skills you could get work as carnival fortune tellers.

I'm sorry that you are so insecure and your egos so fragile that you regard criticism of your recording software as an attack on your manhood and feel the need to respond as such. As Spencer stated we are paying customers and we will freely speak our minds whether you like it or not.  
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 16:40:18 (permalink)
-2 (2)
Yes, me too.   I don't mind paying for it, but I feel it is my right to criticize and nag and complain to make it work better for what i want to do.    Just for instance, kind of related to the OP, have you tried using "File-New (template normal)?    You tell it a file name, and it insists on making a directory of the same name, the "location" field.   Then you correct that, and it tries to create an "audio path" with the same damn name.   This has been a "feature" since forever (sonar 2?) but it is dumb.    Do I criticize it?  Yes. 
mudgel
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/05 18:08:24 (permalink)
Isn't that Per Project Audio Folders? You can disable that.
post edited by mudgel - 2015/07/05 18:18:19

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/07 16:48:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2015/07/14 08:27:13
+1 (1)
Not much to add... other than that selling Cakewalk back to Roland has got to be the worst suggestion I've read in this forum.   

Seriously, X2 was the extent of SONAR's reach under Roland.  Comparing that to X3 and now Platinum?   Eek.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/07 17:10:10 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Notecrusher
charlyg

mudgel

I'm sorry that you are so insecure and your egos so fragile that you regard criticism of your recording software as an attack on your manhood and feel the need to respond as such. As Spencer stated we are paying customers and we will freely speak our minds whether you like it or not.  

Fragile egos, insecure? Now you're just making stuff up..

I mean that in the best possible way.

It had to do with how you complain, not WHAT you complain about. 

And I would rather try to be polite than to speak freely. 

thechurchboi
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/13 20:12:15 (permalink)
Resonant Serpent
You can use preferences to set the meters to whatever color you like, including orange/green.

Or am I missing your point?

A little bit. What I mean is, I would like it if I can uncheck the segmented option for meters and they stay green - not change to grey. The color you see in Preferences is not what you get on the actual meters. It's way off! At least for meters.
post edited by thechurchboi - 2015/07/13 20:19:37

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/14 11:32:02 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Notecrusher
I'm with you. Can we get Gibson to sell Cakewalk back to Roland?

You really cannot be serious! That's the company that put us into this mess. Gibson are busy untangling it.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/14 11:39:44

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/14 11:43:31 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Notecrusher
I'm with you. Can we get Gibson to sell Cakewalk back to Roland?

You really cannot be serious! That's the company that put us into this mess. Gibson are busy untangling it.

officially both parent companies play(ed) a "hands off" role

just a sec

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Things I would like to see (fixed) in the #NewSONAR 2015/07/14 11:57:00 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I think it's pretty clear Gibson is playing hands off and Roland was so much hands on it strangled them to death, cumulating with the classic dud.. Cakewalk voicemail forever...

Even now Cakewalk is (hopefully) fixing bugs and workflow issues that should have been resolved under Roland's watch..
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/14 12:04:32

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1