Helpful ReplyCompression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/07/02 16:58:05 (permalink)

Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs?

In one of the vids (from my other thread) the guy recommends beginners to mixing and compression should use 4:1 ratio settings and set the threshold to acheive 6 decibels of reduction. Essentially a "one size kind of sort of fits all" setting to use as a starting point until you get used to the sound of compression and what it is doing. Then from there start trying out other settings.

Just wondering what folks here think of this statement and its implications.

Cheers.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 17:59:40 (permalink)
YIKES.

well, 
on a master bus,
i can hear 1:25 to 1 ratio.....

so 4:1 seems overly aggressive......
except...

if the intention is to 'OVERCOMPRESS'..... as part of a learning cycle.

it is easier to hear the effect of the compression with levels like that...
but WTF?

why are levels going in so out of whack to being with?
unless it's an orchestra or something........?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 18:01:51 (permalink)
that said,
andy wallace, 
master mixer,
routinely used 4:1 ratios...

read here:
http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/andy-wallace/365554

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 18:02:33 (permalink)
i just think for a NOOB, 
that is just way too much.

bottom line:

it all depends on the source,
and what your end goal is.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 18:03:03 (permalink)
crap, i throw limiters on damn near everything.

LOL

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Beepster
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 18:15:23 (permalink)
Perhaps the time period the tut was created is relevant. I think that vid was made in the early 90's (perhaps late 80's) and there was absolutely no discussion about DAWs or VST plugins (all hardware).

Maybe it was intended for input compression? Just the common settings of the time period?

I appreciate the insight, bats.

Cheers.
batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 18:39:26 (permalink)
WELL, 
we always talk about 'no rules', and that really should be the mantra,
except when you are brand new.

i know, it's easy to get confused,
but a compressor, is a compressor,
whether it be 1969 or 2015.

so the idea is the same, controlling peaks and dynamic levels.

but there is a certain 'aesthetic' to using compressors, besides simple level control.

there is a 'flavor' that you can impart on things, using the compressor correctly.

and when you think about how infinitely variable a compressor can be,
and how much HARM it can do (doctors always say, "first, do no harm")
LOL

i guess it's important to learn the hard core basics of compressors first,
until you figure out what really needs compression, and how much of it.

i absolutely NUKE things with limiters.

but i try to do it in a way that is fairly transparent, and that takes a long time (for me) to learn how to do.

on a side note:

study:

Crest Factor, Peak vs RMS values, soft vs hard knee, and upward compression.

it is all related.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/02 20:25:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RD9 2015/07/02 20:33:47
I recently read something that mentioned how a bunch of engineers laughingly agreed that it took them "like 5 years" to get the hang of compressors and limiters. I don't recall where I was or how far back it was, but when I saw and heard(!),  an engineer run 2 comps in series with gentle ratios and high thresholds to tame a track, I went and bought a 2nd one!
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 01:27:08 (permalink)
Yea, starting at 4x1 is a bit hard.  Comps are different, of course, but that is putting a squeeze on the sound.  Esp. if you are recording with hardware you will likely remove dynamics you might want later.  Going in via hardware I just want to firm the sound up a little for the most part, catch the peaks.  that and the tone.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 03:08:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby maximumpower 2015/07/03 20:37:43
Beeps....I'd say you can use that on electric, dirty guitar, but you have to be careful on what may be making the compressor literally work to remove -6 dB. The more lows and "whoomf" you get, the easier the compressor will kick in and that -6DB might really sound scary. Try messing with the compressor while eqing. You'll hear it work harder and softer based on the eq curves you create too.

I'm actually a 4:1 man myself, but never take out any more than about -3dB and even that's pushing it. Like bats told you....it all depends on the source. You may not even need that much compression. I do use 4:1 on a lot of dirty stuff though, but I don't have any nasty low end creeping in and I never pump/breathe. I actually posted a ratio chart somewhere with some of my starting points. If I can dig it up, I'll post it for you. None of it may work for you, but there are certain ratio's that I have found that work really well with certain instruments.

You always have to listen to what the source is doing...and the most important is to try your best NOT to be in a position to where you have to compress something like crazy unless you're going for something specific. As far as that setting helping you to hear compression, yeah that's a pretty good idea. The thing that makes it difficult at first is....you usually won't hear a compressor really working when it's doing it's job the right way. However, when you hear everything in your mix and can turn things up super loud without losing other instruments, you have achieved two important things...

1. You're clear of frequency masking
2. You've compressed properly keeping things out of each others way

When I work on a mix, I can make things super loud...but when doing so, they just get loud...they don't bury other instruments to where you can't hear them. Does that make sense at all? Ever turn up an instrument and it makes other stuff sound lower, so you start turning up the other faders and then you lose something else? LOL! That there is frequency masking and lack of proper compression.

When you really get this stuff down, you'll be able to make say, rhythm guitars, so loud, they just sound too loud...they won't bury other instruments to where you will need to raise the other instrument faders, understand?

That's when you have compressed properly and have eliminated frequency masking. Both of those are so important, I can't even begin to tell you. So keep some of that in mind. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 04:20:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby maximumpower 2015/07/03 20:38:59
Time to re read this maybe:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-set-up-a-compressor-properly-m2116921.aspx

It is better to learn the order to set things. Attack is first. If you mess this setting up no matter what you do from that point on you will never get the sound right. eg too fast.

Higher ratios can make things sound small. Lower ratios tend to make things sound big.

I prefer to open things up in a decent editor and adjust things there first. I don't rely on the compressor to iron out large changes in level. I prefer to edit things first and then use the compressor doing much lighter conditioning duties after that. eg much lower ratios eg 2:1 or well under. (1.5:1) And only 2-3 dB of gain reduction.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Beepster
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 15:26:17 (permalink)
As always I am extremely happy to see and receive such great input from some of the posters I hold in high esteem. Sorry for the late reply but have been trying to hammer out some really crazy solos today. Gotta let my hands cool down a bit (kind of awkward to type now... lol).

It does kind of make sense that perhaps that 4:1 recommendation might have been more to allow newbs to hear it a little without crushing things or maybe a "Go up or down from there".

Personally I think I've moved beyond that but only because of Danny's previous advice (in other threads) about managing the frequencies that hit the compressors via an EQ.

I'm in a bit of a crummy situation where a lot of my signals are not so even because I do not have any real outboard input management for the bulk of the signals I deal with daily. Well I do but I am unhappy with it and am working on other solutions but that's another topic.

So dealing with raw input via my interface (without outboard compression) there are the expected fluctuations that generally need to be handled. I deal with this in the performance as much as I can but that can be a little stifling (and time consuming).

Point is what I have been trying to do is level things with one compressor to even things out to get a nice, even, strong signal (which would normally be done with proper outboard gear) then I feed it through the EQ and THEN let it hit a second compressor for the actual mix compression.

It's all still rather chaotic and not exactly how I want to manage this stuff (and I do kind of know better at this point) but for the past 6 months or so I've actually been in "artist/session/tracking" mode so my mixing experimentation has been relegated to just quick little screw arounds just to send off samples to people or listen back to my work in the context of what it MAY sound like in a REAL mix.

Mostly I saw that 4:1/-6db thing and thought maybe I should start working backwards from that but seeing what you guys are posting... well I may already be beyond that anyway. I'm in year 3 of dealing with compressors and it is funny seeing you guys talk about "year 5" being when people start to actually HEAR what's going on with the buggers. I think I am just barely starting to really hear things (whereas before it really was a... "wtf is this thing supposed to be doing?" scenario). I can definitely hear the attack/release stuff making changes now and KIND of hear some of the ratio and threshold stuff (kind of). All of it does seem to be dependent on whether I'm running it all thorugh/basing it on EQ settings (that I definitely hear... so thanks for that Danny).

Really I was just leaning on the CA2A as a "set it and forget" compressor up until recently because it was honestly the ONLY compressor that I seemed to be able to operate and that made things sound better. I love it for that. I'd put it after my EQ (again based on Danny's advice about only letting what you WANT to be compressed get through to the compressor).

However I don't think I even like the CA2A as much anymore now that I'm getting a LITTLE more used to all this. It's like a nice bit of light sparkle and I think I'm using it more as kind of an exciter/drive effect than an actual compressor.

What I intend to do next in my quest to understand compressors is start using the Sonitus Compressor and the Sonitus Multiband. I have consistently heard so many great things about these compressors and I have always been fascinated by them. Now that I understand the "math" and logic behind this stuff a little more I figure I should use something dry, flexible and transparent like the Sonitus stuff (I want to really give the Delay and Modulation plugs a workout too).

I think the Sonitus Multiband might help me really understand all that stuff Danny keeps talking about in regards to how you want to be very careful which frequencies are being compressed in a signal.

Obviously the intent there is to likely EQ things before it hits a compressor but there does seem to be a convenience in the Sonitus Multi where I could simply see how compression applies itself to specific freqs of the instruments I normally use. I can move the bands around, mess with the thresh/ratio or whatever and get maybe a better impression of those concepts the have an idea of what I should be going for with my pre comp EQing.

Meh... guess that's a rant and a half but this has been helpful. When I actually have access to Ratio I usually use 2:1 and start with the lowest reduction possible then go from there. I just heard the guy say that and though maybe I should think a little different as I learn in regards to compressors.

Cheeeeers!
pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 16:01:11 (permalink)
Those Sonitus comps are really good and I used them all the time, until I bought PSP Vintage Warmer2 and T-Racks (I have all of those). I really, really like the CA2A, too and now it's sort of like dinner, do I want pizza?, fish?, grilled?, or ___??LOL     I think you could do excellent work with just one of them on all your tracks.

I've seen enough videos/tutorials where some famous mixer/engineer will start with a preset on a plug and tweak to taste, to realize that my doing that makes complete sense, time and results-wise. When I first starting tweaking the presets, I thought I was cheating! LOL

I don't know if I can actually tell the difference that this one over that one does, and if I get it sounding really nice, I move on to the next track!
Just think Beep, only 2 more years! HA! LOL
Michael
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 16:09:43 (permalink)
Here's the other side of the coin beeps....

There are several that don't use any compression or outboard comps. This is the good part of what we have today being non-destructive. You can peak at say -6 dB going in like me....and average -12 to -8 dB and still be in good shape so you can process later. Just remember, the whole outboard thing is for coloration that 8 out of 10 times, I sincerely do not feel makes enough of a % to marry. Before I got my Midas (shhh, you never heard me say this lol) I use to use these Behringer rack comps. 2600 is the model I believe.....

Something about those stupid comps made a difference for the better in my guitar tones and vocals going to disc. I barely even touched them....2:1 ratio taking out -2 dB tops with -1 being the average gain reduced. You can barely notice that, but I knew when I used them dumb comps and when I didn't. Plus the wave form looked better with them on than without. I'm a stickler for a decent looking wave form even though you can't hold much stock in that either.

If I were you, I'd run the comp first in line. This way the eq doesn't mess with it and you are comping first. The only time I run a comp after an eq is on a problem instrument that may need a little extra reinforcement. Sometimes a comp after an eq on a bass just helps the tone and makes it sound better. Sometimes it will help a guitar also, but because we process guitars so much more, you have to be careful because when the comp is later in the chain, all the stuff before it will help to dictate how it reacts. So I try to keep it first.

As for as the CA2A, it's a great comp for you and you should be able to get away with using it without a hitch. Some of the best songs ever released had it on them. Here's what I want you to try. Set it so that the nastiest part of your guitar makes the comp level take out -2 dB of gain. Then turn the comp off and on. Set the comp level so that you can't hear a difference when the comp is on or off. Though that is not doing much, it's doing enough...trust me. If you feel the need to increase the compression, do so...but try not to go over -3 dB. It's rare that a good guitar sound will need more than -3 dB removed. See how you fair on that.

With bass, depending on your bass, the sound, your execution of the instrument, whether you use a pick or fingers, thickness of pick if one is used, (I use felt picks...they are the closest to fingers since I can't play with my fingers) and set the ca2a to remove -4 dB of gain. Match the level of the comp by turning it off and on and match it to where you hear no volume difference. This should give you a really good starting point. From there mess around with increasing and decreaing the compression to hear the effects of it. Right where I told you should be close to your sweet spot.

Now, if you're going for a super loud "current" type of sound, you're going to want to squash more to keep things tighter. In this scenario, you can compress as much as you want until you hear the instrument get loud then low. That's pumping and breathing and when you hear that, you're pushing things too hard. It will be easier to achieve this with the Ca2A because it has no attack, release or ratio control. You can control that artifact with a compression that has those extra controls.

One of the best compressors I have ever used is the bus compressor that comes in Sonar. Don't let that "bus" thing fool you. That is a serious compressor and I'd put it up against the SSL comp by Waves and many others. I use that comp more and more these days. It really has a nice sound and can be used on just about anything. It can compress, and can also affect like a transient shaper which is really nice because you have more control.

In my opinion, your biggest issue may be you don't know what you're supposed to settle for in a compressor. What is considered right when sometimes you can't hear enough of the effect to make a decision, am I right? I'll try to explain it to where you'll get it....

Say we have a circular piece of plastic. We stick a little play dough in the circle and press it out to flatten it and make it even and keep at it until it starts to spread over the edge of the circle kinda like it's over-flowing. Call that stuff that is just over the edge, an uncompressed sound. Now, take that little bit that is over the edge, and cut it away with a utility knife. You may not have cut away much, but we just compressed the play dough to where it is no longer leaking out over the edge. We didn't go crazy because we had to just trim it a little...which in reality, would be like a -2dB reduction. It's subtle but winds up working because of what is NO longer over-flowing and making our mix loose, understand?

Now take that same circle and drop in a huge wad of play dough. Pressed on it to flatten it, it's going to REALLY go outside our circular disc. In this situation, you'll need to cut away more excess to tighten that particular wad up....which is liek us compressing a bit heavier, get it now?

The key is to know when we have to compress more and when to compress just enough as well as choosing the right compressor for the job. Quick example, with light compression on my rhythm guitars individually, I also send them to a bus and compress them as an entity too. Not much, but I have to treat them as a group so a little more compression isn't a bad thing IF it's needed. Could I compress them a little more individually? Yeah, but I'm busing them and need to treat them as a unit in that particular situation.

You just have to keep on experimenting and trying to hear the differences. Unfortunately, when you are using a comp the right way, you don't hear it working which is what makes it one of the hardest effects to learn. That said, even when used subtly, when you remove it and listen to the same mix, you'll notice something is missing and not quite right. You'll hear some parts in your face, other parts a bit buried. This is what the compressor also helps with. As it evens things, it literally keeps them in the mix at all times. Without the comp, you'll notice some "in and out" stuff which is what you don't want unless you're automating it to do that. :) You'll get it...I have faith! :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 19:29:07 (permalink)
i am a firm believer in HARDWARE comps.

to me, the software plugins are so cool...
but, they only treat a signal.....AFTER THE FACT.

once you get to a point where you know what compressors actually do to a signal,
and you figure out what you like that THING to be,
then you will buy a hardware compressor,
and like me,
make decisions BEFORE you hit a convertor.

i guarantee it.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 20:11:49 (permalink)
Awesome topic and discussion, thanks

Me

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 20:18:32 (permalink)
My whole adventure is not having any racks of outboard equipment. I'll take the hit.....at least in the foreseeable future. After all, I am old....

batsbrew
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/03 21:07:45 (permalink)
get one decent outboard compressor.

my vote,
for across the board purpose,

would be a FMR RNC

http://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.html

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/04 08:37:31 (permalink)
Like Danny, I had the 2600 Composer Pro Behringer (?)and really liked it. (alas gone with my dark years/Chap7).  My only hardware comp is the Warm Audio WA76(1176 clone). I am having a lot of fun with it, though, it still feels new to me(recent purchase).

If Bat is using the RNC, then, that is a very high recommendation! I remember Craig Anderton writing a glowing review of it, back when it came out. So, that ought earn it 2 gold stars! LOL
The hardware comps I mentioned in my post, were an 1176 followed by an LA2, and I still get a buzz thinking I'll get to add an LA2 after the WA76 for comp heaven!
Be sure to  notice this blurb on the RNC page.
""Super Nice" mode for near invisible compression. This mode cascades three stereo compressors in series
   to reduce compression artifacts."
If I recall correctly, this is what blew Craig away. How well it tamed things and still seemed "invisible".

Michael

charlyg
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/04 08:47:13 (permalink)
I am resisting assimilation.....

pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/04 09:00:05 (permalink)
I'm retired and older! LOL ... but I love getting an exciting sound before I track is still lots of fun. My Blacktop Jazz (2 P pickups) sounds great through it, but I haven't tracked any guitars through it yet.

Resistance is futile! LOL

charlyg
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/04 09:20:33 (permalink)
Wanna play toppers?
64, retired,  Navy Viet Nam vet, Agent Orange compensation(just diabetes type 2, well under control)...

I dunno that's about all I got, other than I play bass and rhythm guitar!

altho......

I once made a  base line 3 pointer at the Forum during a pickup game after a Boston-LA game. The refs would shoot around during timeouts but couldn't make a thing. I was about 3 sheets to the wind, and started yelling BRICK after they shot. One of them waved at me to come down(we were close to the floor as most fans were long gone) and do better. So, I headed on down, tripped over a chair, and ended up on the base line. Ref threw me the pass as I was setting up in the corner. Not a clean swish but through the net! Got a nice ovation from the few in the crowd, and a high five from the ref. 

But I digress, and in full disclosure, I'm just messin around!

pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/04 14:27:10 (permalink)
LOL
Then tonight's fireworks are in your honor! Thanks for your service.

Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 07:48:59 (permalink)
charlyg
Wanna play toppers?
64, retired,  Navy Viet Nam vet, Agent Orange compensation(just diabetes type 2, well under control)...

We could do with some of that compensation over here. Good to see a number of Vets return here regularly to positive work. It's still in the groundwater around the Airport apparently. My school does a a number of activities to help those affected.

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 09:05:08 (permalink)
If the video is from the 80s or early 90s that might explain much about what they suggest. Back then lots of people were dipping their toes in the recording water, generally using the new-fangled cassette or disk multi-track recorders. People began to realise that studios used compressors, but there were all kinds of myths and misinformation that "lots of people just somehow knew". Like compressors are used to prevent feedback, or compressors (like overdrive on guitar) are there "to cover up musician's mistakes".

Most of those people would probably have never used a compressor in their life (apart perhaps from things like the Dynacomp which have no attack/release/ration controls). One of the hardest things for beginners to do is hear what a compressor is doing - often the reaction seems to be to "turn it up until I can hear it do something, then some more". The more transparent the compressor the worse the problem for the inexperienced. So you had/have to give them a starting setting that makes enough difference to be clearly audible.

Then there is hearing the changes different attack/release times make. Not easy unless you can really hear what the compressor is doing in the first place. After that comes VCA vs. FET vs. optical, sidechaining...

Nowadays we're swamped with compressor plugins, most of which are far cheaper than the hardware unit they are modelled on or cheaper than any hardware compressor full stop. And we can have as many of each of them as the computer can handle. Not even the best studio is likely to have 64 units each of 32 different compressors but with a DAW we can and do. If anything the potential for compressor confusion has increased exponentially since 25 years ago.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 09:20:28 (permalink)
batsbrew
get one decent outboard compressor.

my vote,
for across the board purpose,

would be a FMR RNC

http://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.html

Thank you for pointing that out. I am just a part time hobbyist but always wanted an outboard compressor. I like the price. I have read up on it and they said it is not good for bass. I think they said it was too slow?

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 09:26:11 (permalink)
tlw
If the video is from the 80s or early 90s that might explain much about what they suggest. Back then lots of people were dipping their toes in the recording water, generally using the new-fangled cassette or disk multi-track recorders. People began to realise that studios used compressors, but there were all kinds of myths and misinformation that "lots of people just somehow knew". Like compressors are used to prevent feedback, or compressors (like overdrive on guitar) are there "to cover up musician's mistakes".
<snip>

I am curious, how does a compressor "... cover up musician's mistakes"? I have heard this before. Does it have to do with the picking hand? In that it levels out the picking dynamics?

Thanks

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 09:47:52 (permalink)
Yeah, leveling is the only area of mistakes it can "correct".  The phrase " apparent loudness" is the most impressive thing about them for me. To be able to bring a part into the mix without crowding other elements is the best reward of learning to use compression and limiting.

@ kamikaze     There really is no compensation for the impact of war. Perhaps, now with the internet and so many amazing documentaries being made, people can begin to understand the scope of war's aftermath.

Michael

olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 11:07:48 (permalink)
Neat thread.  I've been trying to better understand all the dang plugins already bundled and acquired, especially the equalizers and compressors which are usually modeled after one type of hardware unit or another.  Though I'm not familiar with any of the hardware, I've at least been noting which of those famous units a plugin is based on so as to know for example, that the BT FA-770 is supposedly modeled on a Fairchild 670 type compressor.  Whether it's good or not, I'll leave to the pros.

Anyway, yesterday I was focused on compressors and in a video I watched it was mentioned that 1176 type compressors were often paired and followed by an LA2A type compressor/leveling amplifier.

I wondered if the PC76 U-Type compressor in Sonar is an 1176 emulation.  Apparently it is, and on those compressors 4:1 is the smallest ratio.

Just thought I'd toss that into the mix....

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
pentimentosound
Re: Compression... 4:1 Ratio with 6db of reduction as starting point for n00bs? 2015/07/05 12:13:03 (permalink)
Yeah, that is what the PC76 U-Type is. Universal Audio =the U.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1