Real Time Step Sequencer

Author
tomixornot
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1674
2015/07/05 19:33:45 (permalink)
5 (7)

Real Time Step Sequencer

I was reading the Easier Step Sequencer thread and I've always wanted a feature to program drums in Sonar like a regular drum machine in real time loop mode. In the past, I've also sent a few feature request on the standard feature request link.

If you 're not sure how a real time drum machine pattern creation works, basically once you define the bar length as well as the quantize option (16th, 8th, triplet notes, etc..) you start the recording mode where it shall playback in loop (as the normal step sequencer would).  The difference is, instead of clicking on the steps to build up the beat, you wait at the right timing to hit note(s) just like you would a track recording. If your finger drumming is good, you may take it on a single pass, but normally, you'll build up the kicks, snares, etc.. individually. Hihat, for example are best to be recorded this way. A midi controller (pads would be best) would be required to map notes, or a virtual pad interface can be used to (with velocity info being recorded depending where you hit the pad).

This differs than the regular track recording loop mode, as each pass, the notes get quantized and sorted out into the correct steps. If you hit a new note on an existing note, the new note's velocity (etc) info shall be replaced on top of the old note. And if you press an optional "delete" key while hitting note(s), the existing note(s) (if exist) will be removed.

Some drums VST does have this option (BFD, Geist (i think), MPC, etc..) but doing it at Sonar Step Sequencer level would integrate directly to the midi track.

I've been programming the classic drum machine (Kawai R100, Roland R8, Boss DR) for many years and this is the preferred way for many, and once I do that, I found the regular step sequencer a step behind. It's more natural to build up the velocity in a regular real time recording mode, as to hit a note and later tweak the velocity. Just wonder why this useful feature is not added.. Being requesting this feature since X1.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
- Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
- Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum

2 Replies Related Threads

Spencer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re: Real Time Step Sequencer 2015/07/08 17:13:32 (permalink)
    They're never going to update that. I highly recommend getting Nerve, it does exactly what you're looking for.
    PilotGav
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re: Real Time Step Sequencer 2015/07/08 21:10:57 (permalink)
    I've wanted this as well. I used to love programming drum machines in the early 90's.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1