4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder

Author
Adq
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
2015/07/04 13:39:36 (permalink)

4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder

Hello! I use one Audio Data folder for all my projects. Recently I've found that it is flooded with empty wav files with names like this:
"Rec (2116).wav" or with similar names with project name ahead of it. Their size is 4096 bytes and they have no sound. What could it be?

11 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/04 15:39:46 (permalink)
    4096 is probably the block size. Any file generated by any program will take up that much space regardless of what's in it. If you cut a sliver of silence off of a clip, it may have been saved as a file through one of several possible processes.

I highly recommend you use per-project audio files. A common folder for audio data dates back to the days when hard disk storage was expensive, but remains a part of SONAR for legacy compatibility.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/04 15:42:17 (permalink)
    Are they all exactly the same size? How many of them, dozens or hundreds? How does their creation time match with the files that actually belong to a project? Can you make any conclusions based on that?
    I strongly recommend you start using per project audo folders. It makes back copying so much more organized, and can be a life saver in many problem situations.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Adq
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/04 16:36:27 (permalink)
    Ok, I've tested it more. Every time I create new project from Sonar's Quick Start window, it makes 12 wav files in Audio Data folder, doesn't matter if Audio per Project is on. They disappear when I close Sonar. So they have accumulated after crashes.
    Single Audio Data folder is much better for me, because I rarely exchange Sonar projects. I very often create projects just for testing, or practicing, and i hate to choose name and folder every time, knowing, that i will not even save this file. There can't be easier to backup it, i just have folder on other disk where i copy all new files from Audio Data. It is much more convenient than to have it in the huge project folders tree. And i have it on separate disk than project files.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/04 23:53:19 (permalink)
    When I'm just messing around to find something coming up w/ a name is hard and inconvenient ).  And of course if you have synth rack demo or something saved, you have to make a synth rack demo 2 (listening, Cakewalk?).  But still, I've collected a bunch of audio files in the Audio data folder, but I always use project folders for real songs.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/05 07:01:15 (permalink)
    Adq
    Ok, I've tested it more. Every time I create new project from Sonar's Quick Start window, it makes 12 wav files in Audio Data folder, doesn't matter if Audio per Project is on. They disappear when I close Sonar. So they have accumulated after crashes.
    Single Audio Data folder is much better for me, because I rarely exchange Sonar projects. I very often create projects just for testing, or practicing, and i hate to choose name and folder every time, knowing, that i will not even save this file. There can't be easier to backup it, i just have folder on other disk where i copy all new files from Audio Data. It is much more convenient than to have it in the huge project folders tree. And i have it on separate disk than project files.

I never share projects either but I've lost count of the times I've needed to verify the existence/size/date etc of an audio file within a project. and this is super easy when using PPF's because they all live in one folder.

Imagine how daunting this would be with every single audio file in one humongous folder?

You are also increasing the size/time of your backups. If you backup regularly (which you are doing yes?) then you're copying all these "empty" files with every backup.

Do yourself a favour and switch to Per Project Folders

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Adq
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/05 08:53:09 (permalink)
    I can't agree. One single Audio Data folder is much better.
    And yes, it could be even more better without this empty files.
    Do you have this files too?
    I'm sure I can simply delete them. But I am just curious why Sonar creates them?
    KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/06 07:00:46 (permalink)
    There's a config setting that creates these (Always Open All Devices?  not sure off the top of my head) and if your template has some input monitored tracks on.  Sorry I can't be more specific right now!

I'd worry about SONAR crashing lots more than a few kilobytes of disk space being eaten to be honest...
    Adq
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/06 08:30:09 (permalink)
    KPerry
    There's a config setting that creates these

Thank you!
    It's important "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" option. When it is on, and "Only For Inputs In Project" option is off, this files are always created. It is pre-allocate files for recoding. It creates 1 stereo and 2 mono files for each audio input enabled, their size is regulating by "Record Pre-allocate File" option.
    There is an issue in preferences menu organizing. "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" and "Only For Inputs In Project" options are in project menu, but they are global options.
    KPerry
    I'd worry about SONAR crashing lots more than a few kilobytes of disk space being eaten to be honest...

Sonar will always crash because of plug-ins, BitBridge, and so on. So I don't worry about it too much. In this case disk space doesn't matter, number of files does.
    KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/06 08:48:28 (permalink)
    That's the setting - glad you could work it out!
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/06 10:03:26 (permalink)
    Adq
    Single Audio Data folder is much better for me, because I rarely exchange Sonar projects. I very often create projects just for testing, or practicing, and i hate to choose name and folder every time, knowing, that i will not even save this file.

I do a lot of testing and creating little projects I never use, but still use per-project folders. I just enter a title by typing an exclamation mark and then running my finger across the QWERTY keyboard. The ! jumps the folder to the top of the Cakewalk Projects folder, and every now and then I just go delete the projects with the nonsense names.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: 4096 bytes empty wav files in Audio Data folder 2015/07/06 10:24:19 (permalink)
    Personally, if not saving a new project is the norm I would just use Ctrl+N instead of File > New: no need to name or save anything in that case.   It's actually what I do 90%+ of the time.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1