Helpful ReplySubwoofer

Author
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
2015/07/05 15:54:10 (permalink)

Subwoofer

Hey Guys,

So I have a little question... As some of you know, my main focus is composing film scores. I don't do the audio mixing, I just deliver the music and someone else mixes it with audio.

Ever since I started making music, it seemed like the general consensus was to do all of your composing/recording/mixing/mastering with a combination of the best monitors you can get (I have two Event TR-6s for the past 10 years almost), and a great pair of headphones (I have Sennheiser HD380Pros). Recently, I was told that I should have a subwoofer in my setup. What are your takes on that bit of advice?

For the most part I'm reading that no, you shouldn't have a subwoofer in your setup. Sure it's great to test your stuff out on a nice surround system with a subwoofer, but not on your recording/mixing setup. I even asked someone at Sweetwater for a recommendation and they said something along the lines of "well whatever you get, just make sure it has an easy switch off so you can monitor with and without it." I really respect this guy's advice and knowledge, so I didn't want to just write it off immediately, but I can't help but wonder, what do most of you think about this subject? Subwoofer or No Subwoofer when you're recording/mixing/mastering.

Thanks

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/05 22:37:32 (permalink)
I have read the same over and over as well. If you have a good set of studio monitors then that's basicially all you ever need.
There's good and bad about using a sub. 
A subwoofer can result in you not mixing ENOUGH bass into your mixes. 
But then I use mine on occation to pick out low fequency content my NSM 10 will miss. 
I have a Sony sub on a aux send from a Mackie Mix 8 I use for control room extras, like headphones and the sub. The Mix 8 gets my 3/4 output from my interface. 
I also have a small PA hooked up to proof my mixes I use for backing tracks. 

I would think a sub would be handy for proofing mixes that are headed to a system that uses a sub. 
But the advice of many "who know best" is to only turn it on when you need it. Don't have it on all the time. 
I got my Sony Sub from Goodwill for $18. It seems to be part of a better quality home theater system. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

polarbear
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/05 23:58:04 (permalink)
Thanks for the response. Definitely some good thoughts into this subject. I think most likely I'm gonna just stick with what I have and if anything, just make more of a habit out of making sure I test stuff on my home theater system so I can hear it in that atmosphere (I usually do anyway, but not ALWAYS...)

Thanks

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/06 07:44:17 (permalink)
A sub used correctly should simply extend the frequency response of your existing system downwards. This requires careful matching at the crossover point so you get a flat frequency response as you transition from the mains to the sub.

The problem most people have is an overlap at the low end of the mains which gives an artificial boost in the 80 - 150 hz range.  Kick, bass, left hand of piano, etc, all sound to loud.  You need a good HPF on the mains to remove the low frequencies that you're using the sub for.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/06 09:44:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby polarbear 2015/07/06 11:52:39
I added a sub last year.  I use a set of Event PS8s I've had forever.  I added a Polk sub via a Samson C-Control.  Using the C-Control I can turn the sub on/off with a button press.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/06 10:51:20 (permalink)
Many subs come with a handy footswitch for bypassing them. If you do get one, make sure it has that feature.

Whether a sub will help or hurt depends a lot on your room. If it's square or cubic and lacks bass traps, a sub will likely complicate things and may not be worth the bother.

Even if you have a large treated room of favorable HxWxL ratios, the sub is still be an optional luxury if your main speakers already extend down to around 45-50 Hz (-3dB). There just isn't much of musical importance happening below that, mostly just unwanted rumble. If somebody else is mixing and mastering, then you needn't care about that. A spectrum analyzer will tell you what you need to know. 

If you haven't done any objective measurements on your monitoring environment, now's the time to do that, before you blow any money on a sub. Find out exactly where your speakers wimp out, and where your low-frequency room resonances are. That information will tell you if a sub is needed, optional, or undesirable.

My own situation (probably irrelevant to most folks) is this: I have a medium-quality 4,500 cu. ft. room with just-OK dimensions and inadequate low-frequency acoustic treatments. IOW, it barely qualifies as a suitable environment for a subwoofer. I could do just fine without it, in terms of mixing and mastering. However, I also listen to movies and video games through these speakers, where sonic accuracy isn't as important as just shaking my chair - and the sub's very nice for that.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/06 11:39:30 (permalink)
The best subwoofer is one designed to go w/ a pair of speakers.  Otherwise you are opening up your studio for all kinds of problems in translation.  Any decent room should be fine w/ 8 inch speakers, which gets you down low enough - maybe not film w/ effects, but you are just doing the music.  Most acoustic tracks ought to be high-passed anyway to get rid of bit's "rumble" and associated noise, footsteps, trucks outside on the street, etc.

If you don't have a matched subwoofer, it can still work, but if you are doing the matching yourself you need to put in the work.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
polarbear
Re: Subwoofer 2015/07/06 11:51:53 (permalink)
Lots of great info here guys. Thanks. Once I finally get this room setup the way I want it to be, maybe I should finally test the room out like bitflipper said and get an actual look at if things are the way they should be, and if a subwoofer would be good/bad. My room isn't really treated in any meaningful way since I don't do any live recording (all synths and direct input guitar), and I usually do the majority of my mixing in my headphones.

In the meantime I'll just stick with what I've got, and like I said in my other response, probably make more of a habit out of giving a quick test on my home theater system to TV-intended stuff.

thornton
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Subwoofer 2015/08/04 22:37:50 (permalink)
Iuse a sub with my f5adams and I treated the room and I use the arc system. as said already once you fine that crossover point you should be fine wheather you leave . If you know anyone  that uses a sub and there room that is treated go and check out how it sounds; of course each room is diffrent but u can get the general idea 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1