Helpful ReplySonar port to Linux?

Author
nedramage
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2015/07/18 12:59:01 (permalink)

Sonar port to Linux?

I've reluctantly bought into the subscription model at Cakewalk and I can see how the bug fixes and new feature roll out may be easier for the company.  Cakewalk's plan is an acceptable compromise but now we are seeing Windows shift to software as a service (SAAS).  I could be in the minority but I don't feel comfortable with losing autonomy over hardware I own.  Because if the software won't allow you to do something, you can ask them to change it but you can't fix it.  We've all been getting updates for a long time with good and bad results but we could control their installation or removal.

Yesterday I read that the update to Windows 10 home edition is mandatory.  Feature and security updates are mandatory on Windows Home.  On the pro edition there will only be three settings for updates and the default is automatic.  What happens when an automatic update breaks a critical service on your production machine.  Does it need to be permanently disconnected from the Internet?

I've used Cakewalk since before it did audio and am very comfortable with it.  I'm not really interested in learning a new DAW but I'm definitely setting up a new Linux box for audio production.  Hopefully there will be some consideration for offering Sonar on Linux.
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 13:33:40 (permalink)
As much as I would like Sonar for Linux (and have the Bakers come up with their own distro to run Sonar on) your post seems to be filled with a lot of rumor, speculation and errors. I'll be doing what I did when Win 8 came out and it looked like a turd.... I kept my DAW on Win 7. I doubt Sonar is going to drop Win7 support any time soon (nor Win8) so there is plenty of time to see what 10 will bring to the table.

Essentially... don't spazz out and buy into the internet fueled doomsday speculations. MS can be dum dum jerks but they're in it to make money. They aren't going to completely p*ss off the bulk of their user base and lose them to Apple who have become a serious threat in the past decade.

If anything the massive scramble they did to release Win 8.1 to calm the torch and pitchfork crowd is a pretty good sign that if they screw up 10 they'll fix it. I have high hopes for 10. 8 seemed to be their usual "experimental" release they do in between the wicked awesome releases.

I could be wrong but I will leave my panties unsoiled until we have some hard facts. Even then... my DAW works on 7 so if need be I can just lock it down on a solid image and keep working. If worse comes to worse I'm learning more about Linux and the audio options for Linux are growing so by the time this could even maybe sort of potentially become a problem for me then that stuff should be mature.

aaaand of course there is always Mac... which if audio people get too fed up with MS the Bakers would likely port to (and may be already now that Gibson is involved and investing in the product).

However apparently there was an MS rep at some fancy audio show recently that Mr. Anderton and some of the Bakers attended pushing the audio capabilities of 10 so they aren't ignoring us.

In the meantime...

/panties unsoiled
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 14:29:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevinwal 2015/07/18 21:27:05
If they port it anywhere it should be on a Sinclair.

Hooked up to 13" TV screen. Black and White of course.
post edited by bapu - 2015/07/18 14:36:25
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 17:26:28 (permalink)
If there was going to be a Linux port it would make sense to do a Mac port at the same time. Linux and OS X aren't the same but OS X is basically a *nix system with a flashy gui and built-in audio and MIDI functions that Microsoft are trailing well behind. Though Win10 is reported as making some steps forward in that regard.

Whether the return on investment would justify a port to either is the question. It wouldn't be a trivial job given how well Cakewalk have integrated their software with Windows over the last 20 years.

As for the regular updates etc. that's the way things are going. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

MS have the problem that out of their main competitors OS X and iOS are free (so long as you buy a Mac), Linux is free and slowly getting more usable for "non-computer people", Chrome is free... Which is probably why when I was browsing the MS website last week to see if I could buy Win8.1 (or 8) as a downloadable iso their store page "Windows" links kept circling me back to pages trying to sell me a PC or tablet. MS probably realise the days you can make enough income from selling an operating system are numbered as the market moves away from PCs to include phones, tablets etc.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 17:55:20 (permalink)
We seem to be getting more demands for Linux ports than Apple nowadays. Neither will probably happen but still in favour of Linux..

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 17:55:20 (permalink)
Dupe
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/18 18:02:07

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 17:56:20 (permalink)
bapu
If they port it anywhere it should be on a Sinclair.

Hooked up to 13" TV screen. Black and White of course.

You will have to fix RAM pack wobble first...

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 21:27:10 (permalink)
I'd guess that the cost of moving a system like Sonar to Linux would be much larger than the market could support, at least for the foreseeable future, and the enormous investment would provide zero value to the current membership who would ultimately finance that work. People already squawk about Sonar wasting resources on new features when there are plenty of defects to fix. Imagine the warm and fuzzy reception an announcement about a Linux port would receive.

Oh, and for the record, I have absolutely no interest in a Linux DAW, or a Linux anything for that matter. I maintain some Linux boxes for some aspects of my software business and I absolutely hate working in that environment (OpenSuse and Ubuntu) and don't get me started about the tools I have to use. If the OP feels strongly about it, there are OSS DAWs on Linux that could use his support.
post edited by kevinwal - 2015/07/18 21:39:00
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 21:45:38 (permalink)
Linux Ubuntu studio is awesome.
http://ubuntustudio.org/

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/18 23:32:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/07/19 12:40:50
You have two options: get Windows 10 Pro or stay on Windows 7/8.1.

I'm not too worried about it. I keep Windows updated (though I delay updates till a point where I'm not working on something) and have only ever had to roll back updates one time. Everyone likes to freak out over possibilities that likely won't happen.

The fact is that Cake has said many times they aren't interested in working on versions for other OS's so asking again is not unlike talking to a brick wall. It's just not going to happen and I'm okay with that. Would rather them focus on one OS than many.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 08:48:54 (permalink)
You can install all kinds of plugins for Windows on Linux using wine and then route audio through them using Jack from ardour. Search YouTube for videos of Melda productions plugins installed on Linux.

I haven't bothered with sonar myself on Linux, but there was someone who just about had it working. Search old threads. I don't remember who it was.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/07/19 08:55:51

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 10:21:28 (permalink)
gswitz
You can install all kinds of plugins for Windows on Linux using wine and then route audio through them using Jack from ardour. Search YouTube for videos of Melda productions plugins installed on Linux.

I haven't bothered with sonar myself on Linux, but there was someone who just about had it working. Search old threads. I don't remember who it was.

Platinum won't work with wine.. Issues with MFC dll's. Have no tried 32 bit. X3/X2 apparently works never tried it.

You are probably better off with a DAW built for Linux.

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 12:08:39 (permalink)
There's just not enough profit to justify the expense of porting to Linux.

It's been a long journey getting to where we're at with audio under Windows.
We're truly blessed with incredible recording/editing tools, great fidelity, low latency, top quality EFX/Instruments, and loads of DSP processing power.
Personally, I don't want to take three steps backward just to say I'm running Linux.
I'd rather see more refinement under Windows.  
ie: Tighter integration that would yield even lower round-trip latency a-la OSX

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
tlw
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 12:48:58 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
There's just not enough profit to justify the expense of porting to Linux.

Probably not. And the Linux using community is strongly biased to open-source and low or zero software purchase/licensing pricing as well. Somehow I can't see any major DAW builders making their proprietary algorithms open source any time soon.

There's also the question of whether hardware manufacturers would throw the same kind of driver support behind Linux as they do OS X and Windows. And again, I doubt they'd want to go open source either.

Linux is very good indeed at what it does well (I've a small mail and NAS server running it) but it's been "about to make a major breakthrough in the home/small business desktop market" for 20 years. Progress is being made, you can buy laptop computers with Linux pre-installed nowadays, but it's still at a very slow pace.

There's essentially the problem that Linux won't make a major breakthrough into the general purpose/home computer market until there are state of the art applications, especially games, available in numbers. And software houses won't spend lots of money coding for an operating system that's very much a minority one. Even OS X has little in the way of games available despite being around for many years and the advantage that all the hardware configurations possible are known.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 15:17:51 (permalink)
tlw
There's essentially the problem that Linux won't make a major breakthrough into the general purpose/home computer market until there are state of the art applications, especially games, available in numbers. And software houses won't spend lots of money coding for an operating system that's very much a minority one. Even OS X has little in the way of games available despite being around for many years and the advantage that all the hardware configurations possible are known.

This is a very good point.
We (DAW users) are an extremely small niche segment of computer users.
Gaming drives the performance of hardware... and we benefit as a byproduct.
Apple ultimately made the move to Intel based hardware (so they could benefit from the same developments).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 15:28:07 (permalink)
The main advantage of a Linux port would be if the DAW developer were to do his own Linux distro tailored to his product so that Sonar came with its own specific version of Linux that you would install and boot into as a unit. Complete control of OS and DAW compatibility and efficiency. The downside is that you would lose virtually all of the plugins and equipment that makes a DAW useful. There would not be enough incentive for the developers of these products to re-engineer their stuff to work with just a single DAW application.
kevinwal
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 18:41:26 (permalink)
To continue the pile-on, consider that even were Sonar was able to be ported, what of all the plug-ins?
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 19:16:32 (permalink)
It's just a really bad idea, I used to run Linux quite a few years back, for a number of years, and things don't seemed to have changed that much overall, and I doubt they ever will. This is what it came down to for me. I can do everything I want to in Windows, I can use everything I want to in Windows, in Linux neither of those statements are true. And that is true for most honest Linux users, that is why they still have a Windows partition or drive, because Linux simply can not do everything they want from their PC's, not without serious compromise and pain.  Linux is a continual struggle, bashing your head against brick wall after brick wall, that is if you are expecting it to do what you can do in Windows. If you just want to surf the net, and do basic stuff, it will do fine, step out into something a bit more specialized, and the cracks chasms become readily apparent. People will bring up, that such and such a company has just supported Linux (IIRC the last mentioned was Bitwig or something), the simple response would be, well why don't you use it then ? You have no choice in Linux (and I'm not talking about the gazillion dinky little things you find in the repositories) I mean real stuff, stuff we use on Windows, stuff we want and choose to use, not just the scraps that get tossed to Linux via a handful of companies/developers. To me it was really simple in the end, after getting out of that Linux mindset (it's sort of like people want something to belong to, to believe in) Either be able to do and use what you want, or not.

I for one hope Cakewalk don't invest 1 second of time in this endeavor, and I doubt they will, because it's just not worth it.
tlw
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 19:36:54 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
We seem to be getting more demands for Linux ports than Apple nowadays. Neither will probably happen but still in favour of Linux..

Not surprising. There are several professional standard DAWs available for OS X already (unlike Linux), and Logic Pro in particular isn't very expensive and is a pretty easy learning curve for anyone whose been using Garageband.

That and it's the (understandable) nature of Linux users to put in lots of requests for Linux versions of applications.

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/19 20:02:39 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

tlw
Not surprising. There are several professional standard DAWs available for OS X already (unlike Linux), and Logic Pro in particular isn't very expensive and is a pretty easy learning curve for anyone whose been using Garageband.

That and it's the (understandable) nature of Linux users to put in lots of requests for Linux versions of applications.

I don't get the logic...

There certainly has not been a shortage of Apple DAW's, and the number of Apple DAW's has hardly increased over the last few years. However the number of Linux DAW's have gone up quite dramatically.

Also the idea that Linux Desktop is just for hobbyists and nerds is well over nowadays...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/19 20:11:46

nedramage
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/20 13:53:28 (permalink)
I guess I buried the lead in my initial post.  I'm not a big Linux promoter and I understand it's issues.  My point was that Windows is about to radically change.  I am an information security professional and a Microsoft gold partner.  I am constantly monitoring where Microsoft is headed and while they haven't instituted a subscription for Windows yet they are certainly imposing more control over end-user devices.  That can be good or bad but some of us who understand the guts of our systems would prefer the traditional level of control.  We are slowly losing the ability to control many aspects of our devices.  Here's a link at Arstechnica about all this: 

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/20 14:42:22 (permalink)
I guess information security is different to PC security. If everybody was forced to run security updates there would be a huge reduction of viruses pushed out from the windows platform.

I understand the guts of my system but I have no idea about the guts of the code contained within a patch. I also understand that M$ does not releases critical patches unless they are critical.

Also as somebody confirmed on yet another Win10 thread, the updates are only compulsory on home edition, I didn't know this myself it's disturbing gold partners don't know either.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/20 14:51:04

kevinwal
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/21 01:58:09 (permalink)
nedramage
I guess I buried the lead in my initial post.  I'm not a big Linux promoter and I understand it's issues.  My point was that Windows is about to radically change.  I am an information security professional and a Microsoft gold partner.  I am constantly monitoring where Microsoft is headed and while they haven't instituted a subscription for Windows yet they are certainly imposing more control over end-user devices.  That can be good or bad but some of us who understand the guts of our systems would prefer the traditional level of control.  We are slowly losing the ability to control many aspects of our devices.  Here's a link at Arstechnica about all this: 

I haven't seen anything in the W10 literature about less control of devices. What specifically are you referring to?
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/27 20:40:21 (permalink)
zx81 ram pack wobble was fixed some time ago.

http://bitcycle.org/retro/zx81/internal_RAM/

also was the composite signal  :) 

I use a zx-pand card , added sd card+memory+joystick port and a soundcard :)

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/07/27 21:14:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/08/04 10:42:23
I'm waiting for a port to the Palm Pilot.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/08/04 10:42:52 (permalink)
charlyg
I'm waiting for a port to the Palm Pilot.

Will that come with a free upgrade to Blackberry?
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Sonar port to Linux? 2015/08/04 10:50:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/08/04 11:42:03
You have to sign a 2 year contract.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1