Author
gatehousestudios
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2015/07/23 07:50:44 (permalink)
3.5 (2)

Master and Child projects

Hi There,

Have been using Sonar for many years now and switched to Platinum recently and have to say its a great piece of software and am happy to rave about it to all my Logic and pro tool users I meet.
One thing I would love to see which is aimed at engineers is the ability to link tracks from projects so that ie the Multi tracked drum FX/EQ and level are the same across a whole albums worth of projects if required. Have tried in the past to use one project for a whole album to keep consistency but the CPU/ load & save times are pretty unbearable especially if youre using autosave every few minutes,  so you end up using separate projects and then having to manually write down and copying settings from project to project.

So I'd like to make some suggestions.

2 ways I can see this working:

1. You could have the ability to select areas within a project to work on - in affect ignoring all other sections of a project so you remove clips from memory, this would speed up processing/ decrease memory usage and make the workflow easier to manage.
This could mean you could work on audio snap / clip FX /automation, add or change time signatures etc just for the highlighted region without affecting any other songs within the project - would also give peace of mind knowing no other song is getting affected. Or how about the ability to have a new song within a project - like a brickwall marker between songs so sonar can unload other song clips that you're not working on whilst retaining track settings. You could change the open project settings to actually pick the song within the project you're working on to avoid loading the whole album project each time and only highlight the whole album when ready for mastering down.
Or
2.You could set target tracks in a master project and then from child projects chose tracks to link to the target tracks in the master project. You'd need a default setting of link all in each track(except say automation and Clip FX).
So when you load a child project it looks to the master project for its settings based on linked tracks.

5 Replies Related Threads

brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Master and Child projects 2015/07/23 10:01:51 (permalink)
    So glad to see someone else thinking about this!! SWEET!!!

I sent a presentation of sorts like this to Cakewalk for review. A concept called Project Sync Groups (PSG's). There's so many time-saving options here. I got a response, which was positive, but indicating it wouldn't be something of great interest (yet, maybe). Perhaps with more user interest, I can repost that screencast vid. Who wants to see it? Post here!! 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    gatehousestudios
    Re: Master and Child projects 2015/07/23 10:27:54 (permalink)
    Well I'd like to see it!
    Things like FX chains and mix recall are brilliant and will be used alot within a single project but for me as a recording engineer a "project" is a set of songs not a single song.
    But I guess as DAW users we've all got used to the way its always been and as there's no alternative at present we have to stick with what we've got and found our own workarounds - This could be a bit of a game changer and could even pursuade other DAW users to switch so its worth Sonar having a look at all these proposals.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Master and Child projects 2015/07/23 10:45:31 (permalink)
    You know you can save Mix Recall scenes across projects now so that you can now save a Mix scene and recall and apply it in another project. That may well serve your purpose.
    This is such a powerful feature I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. Perhaps folks don't understand it to be so helpful.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    gatehousestudios
    Re: Master and Child projects 2015/07/23 11:11:46 (permalink)
    Yeah the Mix recall is really great and I will no doubt be using it loads when nearing the end of a project- more as a comparison tool for projects, ie VX up, VX down which I'm guessing is how it was intended to be used.
    The more I think of it (and after seeing the top post on the protools forum today which is the same issue) the answer would be to be able to segregate (and effictively brickwall)songs within a project..
    Be great to get some feedback from Cakewalk on any ideas they have in the pipeline!

brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Master and Child projects 2015/07/27 12:00:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, the Mix Recall has some useful functionality here. It was something I thought would be a segue into a PSG. However, it would be very nice to tweak the EQ of a kick drum, click one button, and all remaining files in your PSG (album) would be offline updated with these settings without even opening those projects in Sonar!! I think it's a clever idea. I'll see if I can dig up the screenshots I had. There's some serious caveats that I also addressed, such as if two of your songs have 14 drum tracks vs. 12, pushing your guitars and bass into higher track numbers. Or, issues like when you want one song to have a completely different bass tone. Then what about automation? Those things. I also addressed which song would be Master (the one in focus). 

There's a LOT of things Cakewalk would have to do in order to implement such a grand design, but I still think it's feasible and certainly could be a mind-blower at Winter 'NAMM!! I would even be willing to sit in the Gibson/Sonar booth to show it off, if they'd build it!! That's how much I believe in Project Sync Groups. 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1