New Feature Request (second marker lane)

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2015/07/24 17:04:28 (permalink)

New Feature Request (second marker lane)

This request all centers around the idea I have that lyric view is at best buggy and secondly difficult to work with.

My last experience with lyric view was simply terrible. I worked for hours and whether i had one hyphen or one midi note extra it simply blew up the whole applet. Do not get me wrong I absolutely love Platinum!

I make music like first I put in the chords (in the markers) but I like also to see how the chords line up "exactly" with the lyrics.

I assume lyric view has been worked on since my last experience with it in X3.

I wrote an email to Cakewalk requesting a second ruler with markers and I have been looking for my request to be answered and have seen no app changes toward that effect yet.

Maybe my email was lost in all of the various company departments or my idea was rejected for more pressing issues.

I am hoping that you will reconsider my request.

Up where the ruler exists there is a problem with markers from my perspective.

I want two maybe even perhaps three layers of markers.

Considering that lyric view is buggy and hard to work with I have always instead just put my lyrics up in the markers.

I use one marker for each phrase of a lyric and zoom in a bit.

Then I can sing to the song. The problem which I stated in my email also is that I like to have my song chords in the markers too.

Well you cannot have two marker types occupying the same ruler or one overlays the other. So I will either see my chord or the lyric.

It seems that having the ability to add another marker layer is better (if one person is singing and playing simultaneously) then having the chords and lyrics in totally different counter intuitive windows.

Could you please add the ability to have at least a second layer maybe above the ruler with markers also? I notice you can add other rulers but they do not allow a separate marker set. :)

I hope I explained this well enough.

Other cakewalk users please provide input as to whether you think this would be a good feature.

Also, if you have not improved on lyrics view I hope you would.

Thanks and keep up the great work! 

User since DOS

Best!
RR

http://rexred.com
post edited by RexRed - 2015/07/24 17:14:25

2 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: New Feature Request (second marker lane) 2015/07/24 18:12:13 (permalink)
    Hi - Feature Requests should go to the Feature Requests Thread.
    I agree that Lyric view is "tough sledding" to use a Canadian euphemism. I haven't used it in a while, but I copied the following from a user at the time (Randy Bowser) and kept it in my files for my own use - Randy had success in SONAR 8.5 and then in X1 with lyrics using this method. I tried it in X1 and found it worked better than what I had been doing - it might help.
    (Quotes denote Randy's direct quotes from the forum):
    "I always have a Lyric "Midi Track" that is also a window in my Live Layout view that I use at gigs.
     This is a process that I figured out years ago and it works quickly and flawlessly for me:
     1) I type the lyrics (or copy/paste from internet) into MS Word and then print it out.  Then I place the printed lyrics above my keyboard.  (Just minimize Word at this point... you'll need it again in a second.)
     2) In Sonar, arm the Lyrics midi track and hit Record.  Every time a word is supposed to happen in time with the song, I press a midi key (for quicker edits always use the same key).  This will result in a Lyric view full of dashes that are in time with every word/key-press   - - - - - - - - -
     3) Now, Go back to MS Word (or whatever editor you want to use) and select all the lyrics and copy (Ctrl+C)
     4) Bring up your Lyrics view in Sonar, rewind to the beginning, Place your cursor In front of the first dash and then paste the lyrics in!!!!   Presto!!!  All the dashes are replaced by words that line up perfectly!"

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: New Feature Request (second marker lane) 2015/07/24 21:48:30 (permalink)
    Brando
    Hi - Feature Requests should go to the Feature Requests Thread.
    I agree that Lyric view is "tough sledding" to use a Canadian euphemism. I haven't used it in a while, but I copied the following from a user at the time (Randy Bowser) and kept it in my files for my own use - Randy had success in SONAR 8.5 and then in X1 with lyrics using this method. I tried it in X1 and found it worked better than what I had been doing - it might help.
    (Quotes denote Randy's direct quotes from the forum):
    "I always have a Lyric "Midi Track" that is also a window in my Live Layout view that I use at gigs.
     This is a process that I figured out years ago and it works quickly and flawlessly for me:
     1) I type the lyrics (or copy/paste from internet) into MS Word and then print it out.  Then I place the printed lyrics above my keyboard.  (Just minimize Word at this point... you'll need it again in a second.)
     2) In Sonar, arm the Lyrics midi track and hit Record.  Every time a word is supposed to happen in time with the song, I press a midi key (for quicker edits always use the same key).  This will result in a Lyric view full of dashes that are in time with every word/key-press   - - - - - - - - -
     3) Now, Go back to MS Word (or whatever editor you want to use) and select all the lyrics and copy (Ctrl+C)
     4) Bring up your Lyrics view in Sonar, rewind to the beginning, Place your cursor In front of the first dash and then paste the lyrics in!!!!   Presto!!!  All the dashes are replaced by words that line up perfectly!"

That's a great workaround.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1