Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help!

Author
Publix1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/07/25 14:30:18 (permalink)

Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help!

I have several Ampico Reproducing piano rolls on MIDI files. These files have the expression encoded in them as perforated on the original rolls. However, when playing them in CW MC5 on a PianoDisk system, the level is much too low for the solenoids. The only way I can find to increase the volume is by highlighting the entire track, and increasing the velocity of the entire track which, in turn, adjusts the velocity of every single note of the track. Thus, the original expression is now gone, and every note in the track is playing at the same velocity.

Is there a way in MC5 to raise the volume so that it will output to the PianoDisk at the correct volume (instead of super low as is currently) without losing the roll's original expression?

(Update: Could this possibly be achieved by using the "Scale" effect in the MIDI Fx category?)
post edited by Publix1 - 2015/07/25 14:47:02

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/27 08:40:43 (permalink)
    yes, you can scale the velocity using MIDI FX.  but you also have to watch your limit, because increasing velocity will eventually become like a limiter in audio where you've reached maximum velocity at some notes, then more notes, then more and eventually you have very little dynamics left.

my question however, is why don't you simply increase the volume of the softsynth in MC5 and/or the mix of the track?  unless the performances of the MIDI tracks are very low velocities, you don't want to increase them too much anyway, that changes the performance (velocity is not the same thing as volume, although higher velocities produce higher volumes).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Publix1
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/27 11:10:48 (permalink)
    I tried adjusting the volume while the track was playing, and nothing happened. I have CW playing these MIDI files on a Steinway 9-ft grand piano through its PianoDisc system's MIDI input, thus I don't think adjusting the volume of the softsynth would do anything. When I play a track straight "out of the box", the volume level at which the file is playing through the acoustic piano is entirely too low. (For example, There are sections of these rolls that should be f-ff, but are being played through the piano at p. Thus, anything below double-forte is simply inaudible and the solenoids barely attempt to move.) I tried adjusting the volume a couple different ways in CW, but that doesn't affect the actual mechanical solenoid action run by the PianoDisc system. The second I adjusted the velocity - BAM! There was ample volume...but, of course, it just set the velocity of every note at the same level, completely flat-lining the expression/dynamics of the performance.

That's why I wonder if the "Scale" effect works in the sense that it would simply raise the velocity as it would the volume (i.e., if a note is played twice - once at vel. 25 and again at vel. 55, raising the scale should in theory raise those velocities to, for example, 55 and 85).

I have also considered that this may be an issue with the settings of the PianoDisc system, too. However, I have this piano also playing (via MIDI) from a Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ console, and the volume/solenoid voltage is just fine there. (At the moment, neither are connected *at the same time*, so there is no conflict.)

I won't be getting back to that piano for a couple of weeks, but wanted to try to iron out the issue so that I don't spend too much more time trying to figure out the problem while I'm there. Any help/input is appreciated! :)
    Beagle
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/27 13:43:21 (permalink)
    are you sending the MIDI back OUT to the PianoDisc for sound?  otherwise, none of what you're saying makes sense.

if so, what are you using MC for at all?  what's the purpose of sending MIDI from the PianoDisc into MC and then back out to the PianoDisc?

Publix1
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/27 19:44:53 (permalink)
    I'm only sending MIDI data from my laptop (via MC) TO the PianoDisc system to play the piano from my computer. MIDI is triggering the PianoDisc system's solenoids and playing the acoustic piano. I am not sending "sound" to the PianoDisc system, nor am I sending any data from the PianoDisc to MC.
    Beagle
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/28 08:35:24 (permalink)
    Ok, then where did the MIDI come from?  how did you record it or did you enter it in the PRV or what is the source of that MIDI track?

Publix1
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/28 11:45:02 (permalink)
    I downloaded these files from a reputable website. They are files of old piano rolls from the 1920's. The Ampico and Duo-Art "reproducing piano" systems in the 20's had amazing expression and dynamics making you think that the person that recorded the roll was sitting right there in the same room with you playing. So, the expression/dynamics that are part of that roll are scanned to MIDI as well as all the notes.

For whatever reason, when I MIDI-out my laptop to the 9' Steinway D PianoDisc MIDI-in, then play one of those MIDI files through the Steinway, you can see/hear that the expression is "there", but the entire overall volume of the performance is way too quiet. The keys barely move. Again, if I adjust the overall velocity of the entire file, then yes, I get ample volume, BUT the expression/dynamics are now gone because every note is now the same velocity value. I tried simply adjusting the "volume" but that did absolutely nothing. Thus, I was left with the only other logical option - velocity. So again, my question is, can I somehow raise the volume or velocity of the entire MIDI file while keeping all of the expression intact (so that every note is not the same value) so that it will play on the Steinway with no problem at that point?

If it was as simple as turning the volume knob up, I would have done it already, believe me! lol
    post edited by Publix1 - 2015/07/28 12:06:47
    Beagle
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/28 12:35:39 (permalink)
    increasing the volume of the MIDI track SHOULD have an affect on the output of the piano via the PianoDisc.  MIDI volume on the tracks should default to 101, the volume can be increased on each track to 127 and that should be sent to the pianodisc controller as a parameter in the MIDI data and should increase the volume there.

other than that, increasing the velocity is the only other option.  checking the MIDI data in the EVENT VIEWER can give you a list of velocities in the track.  you can then find the maximum velocity used on all of the notes.  once you've found the maximum velocity, increase all of the notes by the same amount of velocity using direct discrete increase or by scaling.

if your maximum velocity used is 64, for example, you can use the cakewalk's MIDI FX to increase all notes by 63 which will make the NEW maximum 127, but will increase ALL notes exactly the same amount, so the lowest notes will be increased from 1 to 63, thus preserving the performance dynamics.

scale will work as well, but you will hit the maximum of 127 for more than 1 set of notes if you don't calculate what the maximum you can use for scaling.  for example, if scale your increase by 200%, then all notes will be increased by 200%.  so if you have any notes over 64, all of those notes will then become 127, regardless of how far over 64 they were before the increase.  thus you lose some dynamics that way because more than one value of notes are now assigned the highest value possible.

Publix1
    Re: Cakewalk MC 5 Ampico Piano Roll MIDI Expression problems in MC5 - help! 2015/07/28 13:45:14 (permalink)
    Okay, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure how the different velocity effects worked. I will definitely try this and see how it works. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I get back there and see if this does the trick!

Thanks much!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1