Helpful ReplyPro Channel, More than one compressor.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sausy1981
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 385
2015/07/26 02:15:33 (permalink)
4.83 (6)

Pro Channel, More than one compressor.

I like to use compression in series on some tracks, particularly vocals, I love the PC compressors but I can only have one inserted on the prochannel at a time, I would love to be able to stack them on the prochannel so I can use them in series.
Many Thanks,
Andrew
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 07:09:57 (permalink)
It is possible to have more than one of any PC plug-ins except the QuadCurve EQ, the PC76U-Type and PC4K S-Type Bus compressors. The QuadCurve EQ is the replacement for the original per-track EQ which pre-dates SONAR X-series and the two compressors were developed for the original X1 PC which did have a the limitation of one compressor per track. All of the add-on plug-ins are designed for the "modular" PC developed for X1 Producer Extended. All the newer version of SONAR with the PC use the "modular" design.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 07:23:28 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I recall this coming up in a thread a while back, and someone from Cakewalk, possibly Noel, said that the original modules from X1 would require some re-coding to make them fully modular like the newer ones.

Myself, I think this is now a bit overdue. Mutliple EQs in a strip is another obvious use case.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
scook
Forum Host
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 07:29:24 (permalink)
That is correct. While it would be nice to have these plug-ins updated, there are solutions available now in the form of add-on plug-ins and the FX Chain PC module.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 07:44:24 (permalink)
Sure, it's not a show-stopper, and not the highest priority. But in the case of the EQ, it'd be great to have multiple QuarCurve EQs with the flyout and so on. Of course, that's even less trivial than the compressor, as there'd have to be work done on the small graph in the inspector & console view. Do you have multiple graphs, or do you make which EQ it shows selectable, or something else?

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
scook
Forum Host
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 07:58:50 (permalink)
This is getting away from the limitations of the original PC compressors. I would expect if there were a modular QCEQ, it would not be presented in the other views like the per-track EQ. A modular QCEQ would act like any of the other currently available PC EQs.
sausy1981
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 08:11:34 (permalink)
I understand that I can put the fx chain module in but I would like to have the pc76 available in series.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 08:15:12 (permalink)
John T this is now a bit overdue. Mutliple EQs in a strip is another obvious use case.

frankly bizarre that they were implemented originally as single-use in the first place - what other plugin does this?

just a sec

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 08:22:42 (permalink)
Proprietary VST implementation with many limitations... That is what PC is. I hope CW remove it at some point and replace with normal VST, I mean will merge it with FX Bin. There can be extra (open) interface to provide these "small GUIs" which we have in PC, so VST which want be extra Sonar compatible can use it (I guess other DAWs will follow).

That eliminate all current limitations/problems/wishes. Just think about current FX bin: what is NOT there except small GUIs inside console and inspector? "Flyout" is just normal sized GUI with separate button to show it. Sorry to say, but I have not found any advantages of PC except an overview for the whole chain settings.

BTW In looks like FX Chain is just a micro VST host, or it can be.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 09:08:12 (permalink)
+1 (1)
sausy1981
I understand that I can put the fx chain module in but I would like to have the pc76 available in series.

I know this misses the obvious point, but you could send to a bus to add another. A silly constraint which I don't understand either but I wanted to put forth the work-around.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 10:22:01 (permalink)
pwalpwal
John T this is now a bit overdue. Mutliple EQs in a strip is another obvious use case.

frankly bizarre that they were implemented originally as single-use in the first place - what other plugin does this?

Well, if you recall the original implementation, they weren't plug ins in that sense. The PC was a fixed channel strip where you could change 1/ the order of modules and 2/ which of two compressors you wanted to use.

It was quite a nice idea, but very rapidly evolved into something else. I think it's now time for it to lose its vestigial organs.

stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 11:36:49 (permalink)
John T

...It was quite a nice idea, but very rapidly evolved into something else. I think it's now time for it to lose its vestigial organs.

I think that is a good point - how it started may have made sense at the time, but it truly has evolved in many ways since X1.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 12:01:39 (permalink)
Just how much EQ or compression does one need?  If 4 parametric bands, 2 filters and a strappable VST of choice isn't enough to fix what your are tracking, perhaps that is the problem lies.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 12:20:25 (permalink)
Not really. There are all kinds of good uses for having multiple processors in series. One good use case it EQ both before and after compression, as a compressor will tend to counteract EQ boosts. So - just as a rough rule of thumb - cuts on the first EQ and boosts on the second, with the compressor in between, can do remarkable things sometimes.

Also, compressors in series can be very powerful. Give each compressor less work to do than one would on its own, with slightly different things going on for different levels. I'm oversimplifying, but it's not some clueless amateur technique.

sausy1981
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/26 12:23:35 (permalink)
AT
Just how much EQ or compression does one need?  If 4 parametric bands, 2 filters and a strappable VST of choice isn't enough to fix what your are tracking, perhaps that is the problem lies.

@

Compression in series is a common technique and can result in more transparent compression, I like the PC76 and would love to use it in series.
AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 11:29:15 (permalink)
There are exceptions to rules, such as EQ before and after comp, parallel comp (serial comp is an age old and standard technique). In fact, parallel comp is closing in as a standard form of compression these days, esp. w/ so many soft (and even hardware units!) compressors having it built in.  And it can be a ton of fun to obsess over a mix and try everything.  But you still have the rules, and exceptions to the rules.  If you use good quality hardware in a decent room you don't need to use exceptional mixing techniques as a matter of course (although parallel comp is closing in on mainstream these days). 

Not to go on to a hardware rant (again) in a software forum, but if you love the PC76 beg, borrow or steal a Warm Audio 76 hardware unit long enough to learn to use it going in.  I almost never use the PC76 (or FET Comp which I also have) since the saturation they provide on top of the analog just gets too spitty.  Adding a virtual dose to the real thing only seems to cloud up the sound.  Even w/ non-1176 style hardware compressors the 76 emulations can cloud up the sound.  I would think 2 PC76s would do the same thing, but I've never tried it.  And everybody's ears are different, so you may find my taste not spicy enough.

I love the simplicity of the PC but you are right, there is no reason it can't be as flexible as needed.  One should be able to hook in multiple non-PC components anywhere into the strip, while keeping the fundamental channel strip nature of the PC intact.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 14:34:55 (permalink)

AT
There are exceptions to rules, such as EQ before and after comp, parallel comp (serial comp is an age old and standard technique). In fact, parallel comp is closing in as a standard form of compression these days, esp. w/ so many soft (and even hardware units!) compressors having it built in. And it can be a ton of fun to obsess over a mix and try everything.  But you still have the rules, and exceptions to the rules.  If you use good quality hardware in a decent room you don't need to use exceptional mixing techniques as a matter of course (although parallel comp is closing in on mainstream these days).

Parallel compression is as old as the hills. They were doing it at Motown at least as far back as the early 70s and possibly further. It's been an absolutely conventional and widely known technique for decades. It's not "closing in" at all, and it's not some fringe "exception to the rules".

I wouldn't normally nit-pick like this, but since you came in with a "huh, you guys clearly don't know what you're talking about" point, well...

AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 20:42:56 (permalink)
Well, John T, one point I was trying to make was that parallel compression is becoming more readily available as a home technique since it is built-in to many compressors these days.   It isn't that hard to do at home but certainly ain't as simple as in a studio w/ a nice big board.  So maybe ubiquitous would have been a better word?

As we've both been on the forum for a long time I thought you'd know my tone is usually light and informative - or at least I try.  Sorry if I failed to meet that standard - maybe I'm having a day off.  Or maybe not.  Hard for me to judge.

As you state, parallel and serial compression are old hat - tho not the first thing home engineers learn.   But I was more interested in serial EQ.  Of course you want that, but as a matter of course ...   I just find it ... awkward, to have a track that needs more than a couple of bands of EQ, as long as I have filters (love me them filters, but, you really can't use more than 2).  The best solution I've found in that circumstance is to rerecord, not fix it in the mix.  That sounds like long hours.  You can get a really nice front end cheap these days, and I feel that does make a difference.   I thought that stating solutions and opinions about a problem is the essence of this forum, even if I was less than politic.  I was just offering another view.

If nothing else, I'm sure there are some that didn't know your history lesson and are the wiser for it.

cordially,

@

John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 21:04:24 (permalink)
You're assuming that using multiple EQs is about having more bands. It's not, or not necessarily. It's about where in the chain you want things to happen. In my pre-and post compression example, EQ 1 and EQ 2 could quite easily be using only one band each.

You're also assuming - and this is the assumption that I take exception at - that there's something wrong with what's tracked simply based on people having different methods than yours. And following that, you're assuming that the only reason for said methods is to "fix" things.

It's really not. I'd agree with you that re-recording is quicker than mauling with a bad source track. But even quicker, of course, is just not making bad source tracks in the first place. And there's nothing in this thread to indicate that people have that problem.

For me, stacking processors is about doing less to the signal, not more. You can - in many cases - work in a more subtle way. It's got nothing to do with "fixing".

AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 23:34:41 (permalink)
Dear John, (sorry, I've always wanted to use that),

I'm not assuming anything.  Not even that altering a recorded sound using EQ, for whatever reason, is fixing the sound.  Just changing it.  Fine.  If there was no problem before, there certainly isn't now.  And there is nothing wrong with using that method instead of re-recording the sound, not better, not fixed, but changed.  I'll use your semantics.

I read the thread, I understand what it was about.  But after 10 or 12 posts about using how to make the sound better by using effects I went to the old line of recording more like you wish the sound to be.  I'm sorry you took offence to that suggestion. Perhaps I was a little sharp, but I didn't think I was mean-spirited or tedious, and tedious and small is how I find your replies, belaboring points.

So like the letter named after you, I'm going to break off my end of this conversation, now.  I know I'm not getting anything out of it and I doubt any third party is either. 

@

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/27 23:43:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SF_Green 2015/07/28 01:58:03
Great discussion John T and AT. Good points made on both sides. Certainly very informative on why or why not to do one way or another. Please don't allow any discord to overshadow the benfit your experience brings to the forum. Thanks.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 08:36:49 (permalink)
AT

I read the thread, I understand what it was about.  But after 10 or 12 posts about using how to make the sound better by using effects I went to the old line of recording more like you wish the sound to be. 

Well, anyone who cares to can scroll back to th3e top of the thread and read it and see that's not what happened. Indeed, nobody mentioned sound at all. The thread was entirely about functionality up until we were all told we didn't know how to track by a chap who thinks serial processing is some bizarre fringe technique.

Myself, I don't care to be talked to like that, not even by people who do know what they're on about.

AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 10:39:30 (permalink)
Mike,

no problems here.  And tiffs are no big thing, since I always wear big boy pants.  Compared to driving in Dallas, navigating these forums is a piece of cake.

@

sausy1981
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 11:11:24 (permalink)
Anyhoooooo, Do we reckon the ability to be able to have more than one of the compressor modules available in the prochannel at one time is a good idea? And whats the chance of it happening.
John T
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 11:44:03 (permalink)
I think it's the kind of logical overhaul that'll happen at some point, but I don't get the feeling it's a high priority. And that's probably fair enough; there are ways of doing the same thing, more or less, just slightly less ergonomically nice ways.

AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 13:02:28 (permalink)
Sausy, you can put more than one PC compressor in serial - I used to use the PC76 and Cake Opto emu all the time.  I just put both on a track to make sure that hadn't changed.  I just never realized you couldn't put more than one 76 in line before this thread since I never tried to do that. Cake designed it that way, so they must have not thunk it necessary to have 2 76s on one track.  They must have their reasons - funny.

But you should really try the Ca-2A comp from Cake.  Emulates the la2a, the other must-have hardware compressor which has a different tone and different slope than the 76.  The 1176 into an La2A has been pretty much the standard vocal chain since the 70s.  Of course, it takes some time to learn how they work together to make them sing, but when they do, it is a sound you will instantly recognize (esp. on older stuff where they used the hardware versions - most of the time that limited the number of units available so the most important tracks got that treatment [one reason old vocals and leads stand out from the rest of the tracks which didn't have that 1176/La2A magic]).

The Ca-2A is probably the favorite comp here on the forums from Cakewalk.  Trigger warning tho: I have colleagues who drop $100 on a compressor or $50 on a gate and the next month $125 on EQ.  Whatever is the latest thing.  After a year they've spent enough on software emus they could have bought a piece or two of high-quality hardware instead.  And if you've ever had a good guitarist play a nice instrument in a decent room into an 1176 and captured the tone that is heard on hundreds hits, you'll grow cautious about buying seemingly inexpensive plug-ins.  So I am perfectly happy using the 3 PC units 90% of the time (including the SSL buss comp, which is magic, well, on busses) for itb.  Get the opto and you will be pretty well set on software comps.

@

scook
Forum Host
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 13:06:21 (permalink)
AT
 I just never realized you couldn't put more than one 76 in line before this thread since I never tried to do that. Cake designed it that way, so they must have not thunk it necessary to have 2 76s on one track.  They must have their reasons - funny.

I believe it was explained in msg #2 above. It all goes back to the original PC which only had one slot for a compressor.
AT
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 13:55:09 (permalink)
I never realized that before, scook, until you walked back through it.  It seems a long time ago.  I never tried to put 2 76s (or SSLs) on a single track, but I have many of the PC modules and never noticed they were missing from the drop down menu. 

I guess it is fair to say Cake didn't warrant it worthwhile to insert any kind of compressor into more than 2 spots at first.  And it isn't worth the extra programming hours today for now free products.  Which leaves the OP hoping against odds that it will get fixed, or buying another PC module to have compressors in 3 different spots in the chain.

@

sausy1981
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/28 17:55:16 (permalink)
I wish I hadn't started this thread lol....
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Pro Channel, More than one compressor. 2015/07/29 02:28:08 (permalink)
Maybe we should lobby to have the ProChannel modules available in the fx bin. that would seem the easiest from a programing point of view and provide the most flexibility. all Pro Channel modules are VSTs just a bit of code that locks them inside the PC. Yes/No.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1