Helpful ReplyCable pricing question

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/07/28 12:00:27 (permalink)
craigb
Now I'm starting to get worried about getting one month's rent from these!  Since my ad started I've only had two inquiries for more information, but haven't sold a single cable.  I just revised things and lowered all cable prices to 30% of their value (which I no longer show or talk about).  The first of the month is getting VERY close...

HERE'S the newest pictures and pricing information, do you think I'm doing anything wrong?

Oh... dude. I didn't realize this was an immediate emergency cash situation. I was under the impression you had time to get the best price for everything at a trickle sell pace.

Okay, my recommendation, if this is indeed a "sell or get evicted" situation and you have no options.

ie: If you are going to lose significantly more of a % on the sale prices than you would pay in interest on a loan take the loan and pay it off as you sell the cables. Of course if there are no loans to be had you just gotta sell 'em.

If you can get 30% on a quick sale that's actually not bad. I was basing the higher selling price on being able to wait for the right buyer(s).

Since you have the list already start calling around all the second hand shops in your area. Music shops, vinyl/record/dj stores, second hand/pawn shops/surplus stores, stereo/home theatre equipment stores. You WILL likely get raped but if you call around you can get a feel for what those places may be willing to pay. They will lowball you but if multiple places are interested you might be able to nudge the price up a bit. I would not expect more than 15% and cables might be a weird sell in places like that.

You might do better with online electronics distributors who do refurb/repackaging but that's dicey and could take more time than you have (shipping, waiting for them to process payment, etc).

The sad part of this is that you generated interest (the two inquiries may not seem like much but it is a good sign after only a couple weeks for something like this). I've had stuff sitting on CL or on other sites that I never thought was going to sell but because I got a couple nibbles I stayed firm on the price. Six weeks (or even months) later it sells and sometimes to those original nibbles who were just trying to sweat me out.

Again I think you might do a lot better finding out if there are any ham radio shows going on in your area or maybe vinyl swaps... anywhere there are going to be a lot of people who need/use cabling. Those are more the average Joe type buyer which is what you want as opposed to full on retail guys who are used to paying far less for stock.

And you know... if you haven't already maybe post it in the Deals section of this forum. You already know a bunch of us would snag them if we could and you are known member so you may get lucky. I am not 100% certain but I don't think it is against the rules to offer a private sale like this in THAT specific forum. Might want to verify with a host first though (Beags is already here so I'm sure he'd know).

Anyway, good luck, man. If I had known these needed to sell RIGHT AWAY my advice would have been rather different from the start. That's why I was trying to sniff out how quickly you needed to get rid of them.

Now this is TOTALLY illegal but the worst that could happen is you get a small fine... take your box of cables to a busy "market" type area on a weekend when there's lots of foot traffic. Spread them out on a table or blanket and just hock the buggers to people walking by. Sad to say but I used to do that kind of crap all the time and it's the fastest way to get the best price. Thoe worst that ever happed to me was I was asked to pack up and leave and that happened maybe ONCE out of the hundreds of times I did. I do NOT recommend this simply because of vendor license issues (which is why it is illegal) and I don't want you getting in shiz based on my crazy person advice but you're a big boy who can make his own risk assessment so it's something to consider.

If you can glom onto someone else's (legal) garage sale then you're golden. Start as early in the morning as you can and you may be out of there by early afternoon. Bring water, snacks, sunscreen and as much change/small bills as you can to make sure you don't lose sales.

It sucks having to do this type of thing on the grind but it can also be kind of fun too if you get into it. I did it for so long though I'd rather play the long game or not play it at all if possible.

Best to ya, Craig. Really sorry to hear about your troubles. Cheers.
Beepster
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/07/28 12:17:53 (permalink)
And for the "dude on the sidewalk stuff" here's a little marketing snag. I'm pretty sure I've seen you refer to having some interesting vinyl. Bring a little boombox or mp3 player spekers or something, crank out some cool tunes on that, drag along some vinyl you don't mind parting with that has some interesting art as well as maybe some CDs or whatever. You don't even need to sell this stuff (unless you really want to) so you can make the prices on those more than a sane person would pay from a dude on a sidewalk. All it is is to draw people in thinking they're going to get a deal on some cool music (they'll hear the cool tunes, see a few interesting record covers, some CDs laying around and they can HELP but stop and check it out). Once they're there they'll see the cables, many of which are useable by anyone with a stereo/home theatre and a good percentage will buy something they need (if the price is right and half price or less is good for something you NEED).

Of course be careful with vinyl or any plastics out in the hot sun. Just display the album jackets and keep the actual vinal in a protected case/shady area and only pull them out if someone wants to buy (also keeps idiots from gunking up/scratching your records).

Illooooosions!

Of course this all would work best in trendier areas like farmer's markets, clothing/fashion districts, cafe areas. I'm thinkin' hipsters will be your friend with this stuff. They'll pay more. The other market would be electronics geeks but they are harder to find and generally won't fork over as much because they are much more savvy consumers.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/07/28 15:18:28 (permalink)
mudgel
Shame you're not in Australia, but also glad as I'd probably buy the lot from you. Just like cables.

I'm pretty sure you can still buy them. Ya'll use dollars, right?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Beepster
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/07/28 17:03:50 (permalink)
Shipping to Australia is brutal. Costs a fortune, needs to go through insane customs, probably tons of taxes and half the time it takes two to six months to arrive (if at all).

Even getting stuff shipped to Canada from the US ends up costing more than it's worth for many things. It really bites because I can find all sorts of deals in the US that I know will no longer be deals as soon as it hits the border. It's really awful.

I know the USPS gets a lot of flack as does the IRS but ya'll should try living in the "Colonies" and dealing with our systems. Totally bunghole invasion. Canada Post has screwed up sooooo much crap on me over the years you end up having to put in a massive negative % into your estimated bottom line simply due to their nonsense.

Shipping to OZ I would always have to put HUGE disclaimers saying anyone there would have to wait a minimum of 8 weeks unless they wanted to pay 5 times the price for priority shipping (even then it could take 3 weeks to never). Also for a large lot like this it may exceed weight/size dimensions that end up making it only able to be shipped by special courier... which of course ends up being a small fortune and generally not worth it.

Basically something like this, if shipped from Canada, would likely cost more in shipping costs than just buying the cables new locally. The shipping from the US would probably be a lot better though and perhaps more likely to actually arrive. Still probably not worth it.

Just saying... it's not such a small world after all... when dealing with the fracking post/taxman.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 12:26:35 (permalink)
Well, it happened!  After all this time (and over two years for some of my gear), I finally had someone show up last night who wanted all the audio-related gear that I had up for sale (and then some!).

YAY!!!

So now I'm good for a couple of months which means I can get work stuff straightened out and get new hard drives for my PC before the current ones finish dying (going to buy two 4 TB drives and RAID 1 them).

*Huge sigh of relief!*

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 12:29:47 (permalink)
Congrats craigb (ITYRN).
craigb
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 12:45:28 (permalink)
I just hope that the colorful money he gave me is accepted elsewhere!

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 13:37:25 (permalink)
Well, it's good for rent on Park Place.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 14:41:11 (permalink)
Good news Craig, pleased for you!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/11 17:39:06 (permalink)
what? 
craigb
Well, it happened!  After all this time (and over two years for some of my gear), I finally had someone show up last night who wanted all the audio-related gear that I had up for sale (and then some!).

YAY!!!

So now I'm good for a couple of months which means I can get work stuff straightened out and get new hard drives for my PC before the current ones finish dying (going to buy two 4 TB drives and RAID 1 them).

*Huge sigh of relief!*

what??? no plans for buying more becan????  a man's gotta eat ya know!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
craigb
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/12 00:42:46 (permalink)
Beagle
what? 
craigb

YAY!!!

*Huge sigh of relief!*

what??? no plans for buying more becan????  a man's gotta eat ya know!

Funny you should ask that...  I've actually put off buying the hard drives (I want to make sure the motherboard isn't causing the problems first) and will be using some of that money for "food."  Which is, as far as Beagles are concerned, is NOT going to be any becan. 

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Cable pricing question 2015/08/12 10:47:14 (permalink)
Hi,

Conga rats pal ... the majority of stuff I need is RCS Jacks, mostly extensions, or simply longer cords, since my setup goes to my stereo and also to the mixer ... so I can use the radio dial also! ... hehehehe ... and play things off the turntable, on either the USB, or stereo for home listening.

Thx

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1