Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project

Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
2015/07/28 16:30:12 (permalink)
5 (7)

Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project

There are some features that I set the same for all my work. Meters are a perfect example. But meters are a per project preference and adjusting the settings is real easy but very cumbersome. It would be nice if we had the ability to define preferences as either per project or global, and have those settings persist for all projects.

This is one step above using a template. I know I can create a template.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 

17 Replies Related Threads

M@
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/15 16:17:45 (permalink)
    Voted.
    I too feel it would be more useful if below settings (amongst others) were set globally.
    (Any changes made during a project are of course saved within the project.)

*Metronome: Count in / use audio or midi / beat subdivision
    *Meters: RMS + Peak,  dB range, hold peak
    *Recording:  Multitrack grouping

Does anyone know of a way to make these settings global and stay as I set them  (apart from using a template).
    Maybe some entries in any of the .ini files??

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
    System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
    Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/15 16:22:22 (permalink)
    ... including audio/MIDI devices.

I would love to have device settings per project/template.  When I'm using the R24, use the R24 interface and have those settings remain in the project.  Same with GT-001, etc.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/17 02:27:15 (permalink)
    Voted.

Even ASIO buffer settings should be optionally project dependent as you need it high for projects in the final mix stages and low in those where you are e.g. scratch tracking with amp sims ...

Simple solution (for the user at least, not the programmer): instead of a single [APPLY] button have 2: [APPLY to project] and [APPLY globally] ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    BobF
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/17 09:55:03 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl
    Voted.

Even ASIO buffer settings should be optionally project dependent as you need it high for projects in the final mix stages and low in those where you are e.g. scratch tracking with amp sims ...

Simple solution (for the user at least, not the programmer): instead of a single [APPLY] button have 2: [APPLY to project] and [APPLY globally] ...

I've discussed having two buffer settings with a toggle with the bakers in the past.  Unfortunately, the buffer settings are done inside the ASIO driver.  Different buffers can potentially be requested, but honoring these requests is not standard among all of the various interface drivers.

Having two numbers set in Preferences would be very cool though.

Bob  --
    --

Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/22 22:10:06 (permalink)
    This is such a simple but great idea. It's so hard to remember which settings are global and which are project and I'm always getting tripped up. Doesn't really seem intuitive either. Why not just make EVERY setting (unless it's unfeasible) global w/ a per project option.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 00:27:38 (permalink)
    Only way I can see this happen is hierarchical.
    Global settings are set in preferences.
    When a project or template is created those settings are inherited.

Then these settings can be overriden by the user and saved in project or template for next time.

Of course some settings you would not want to store that in a project, your audio interface settings for instance. Projects need to be portable across environments.
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/23 00:38:40

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 08:01:47 (permalink)
    More I think about this more I'm wondering how it's going to be in practice. I look at say how MS Word stores config in documents as an example.

If I'm exchanging documents with another user, that user does not want to inherit my workflow and preferences they want to use their own.

I do agree it's time for a shakeup in preferences, there seems to be some functionality that appears to be in the wrong place and could be moved..

Another thing that could make life easier is to be able to import/export preferences and have multi user profiles to accomodate.
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/23 11:00:05

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    BobF
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 08:25:07 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche

Then these settings can be overriden by the user and saved in project or template for next time.

Of course some settings you would not want to store that in a project, your audio interface settings for instance. Projects need to be portable across environments.

My take is the opposite with regard to interfaces.  I have several devices with interfaces.  It would be great to have the interface options stored per project so the correct device is opened as I move between or revisit projects.

I really hate to invoke "the other DAW example" here, but the portable install option this other DAW has is a HUGE plus in this area.  Install as many copies on the same machine as you have devices, each configured accordingly.

I don't see Sonar ever having a portable install option, but per project audio hardware setting would REALLY REALLY nice AFAIC.

Bob  --
    --

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 08:51:30 (permalink)
    usually, "global" settings are for the application itself (sonar e.g., VST folder location), while "per-project" settings are for the project/document (sonar e.g., snap settings); if there is overlap, the project settings override the global setting

just a sec

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 08:54:01 (permalink)
    BobF
    I don't see Sonar ever having a portable install option

neither do i, although there's technically no reason why not... sonar uses the registry far too much, when a simple ini or config text file would suffice (vst inventory anyone?)

just a sec

Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 10:48:45 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche

BobF
    My take is the opposite with regard to interfaces.  I have several devices with interfaces.  It would be great to have the interface options stored per project so the correct device is opened as I move between or revisit projects.

I really hate to invoke "the other DAW example" here, but the portable install option this other DAW has is a HUGE plus in this area.  Install as many copies on the same machine as you have devices, each configured accordingly.

I don't see Sonar ever having a portable install option, but per project audio hardware setting would REALLY REALLY nice AFAIC.

Are you saying it's implemented in other DAWs? What would happen if you emailed your friend with a different setup. Would he get prompted every time to select an audio interface, ASIO buffers etc? How would portability be addressed?

If there are different global profiles for the application and hardware that can be imported/exported into a seperate file (say .cwh) then it would be easy to use (flip between profiles) and portable (flip between them in Sonar).

BTW you can more or less do this now by writing a batch file and replacing AUD.INI and other files.You could also get it to replace registry settings (not for the faint hearted!).
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/23 10:59:09

Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 10:54:40 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    neither do i, although there's technically no reason why not... sonar uses the registry far too much, when a simple ini or config text file would suffice (vst inventory anyone?)

Ini files are considered legacy nowadays by MS and developers. The registry is much more useful as it has a hierarchy and has per machine and per user settings. Files are also more prone to corruption and security issues.

The only time files such as INI are useful are import/export or inventories, however inventories generally use XML format for portability reasons and there is standard code you can use to read/write it.

The way to handle the complexities with the registry is to write a user interface for it.
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/23 11:05:10

BobF
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche
    Doktor Avalanche

BobF

Are you saying it's implemented in other DAWs? What would happen if you emailed your friend with a different setup. Would he get prompted every time to select an audio interface, ASIO buffers etc? How would portability be addressed?

If there are different global profiles for the application and hardware that can be imported/exported into a seperate file (say .cwh) then it would be easy to use (flip between profiles) and portable (flip between them in Sonar).

BTW you can more or less do this now by writing a batch file and replacing AUD.INI and other files.You could also get it to replace registry settings (not for the faint hearted!).

1.  Sending project files is the low % case for me.  I exchange tracks during collaborations.  If I were to send a project, then the other user could fiddle with hardware differences the way I have to EVERY TIME I switch back/forth between these projects.  That saves me from the headache in 99.9% of the cases.

2.  I have zero desire to write batch files to use my DAW of choice.

3.  What I'm saying about other DAW is that this is less problematic because of the portable installs they support.  I have a separate install/shortcut for each hardware device I frequently use.

Please don't pretend I don't think thru what I suggest or request.

Bob  --
    --

Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 10:59:30 (permalink)
    1. Yes but you need to consider other users in the design. Sharing projects is not uncommon. People don't like to 'fiddle' on the whole.
    2. Totally understandable.
    3. If you have separate shortcut (in windows) isn't that profile based? You click for a hardware profile. It's not 'per project?'. How does it work?
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/23 11:10:17

BobF
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 11:28:03 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche
    1. Yes but you need to consider other users in the design. Sharing projects is not uncommon. People don't like to 'fiddle' on the whole.
    2. Totally understandable.
    3. If you have separate shortcut (in windows) isn't that profile based? You click for a hardware profile. It's not 'per project?'. How does it work?

1.  I agree that everything done in preferences should be optional
    3.  My profile is the only one I'm concerned with ... It's not per project, it's per configuration.

The specific hardware I'm talking about is:
    a) My main interface, a US-16x08
    b) BOSS GT-001
    c) Yammy THR10
    d) Zoom R24

And there will be others ...

So I have 4 different portable installs of the other DAW.  Each of these is configured to use one of the above.  It's much better than switching hardware with Sonar, but does have the downside that you have to remember which version goes with which project.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, but it's not as easy as per project interface settings.  It would be sooooo cool to have a template for each of these to start a project with.  And per project interface configuration would eliminate the need to remember which is which.

Bob  --
    --

KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/23 11:43:44 (permalink)
    XML files in user appdata directories (which now exist in 3 security levels - local, roaming and localow) are now the preferred option for settings.  We should be moving towards that and away from the registry.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Add the ability to set preferences as global or per project 2015/10/24 10:19:56 (permalink)
    @Bob so the other DAW does do it per hardware profile and not per project.

Anyway I'm all for hardware profiles and even user profiles but not stored in projects, does not make sense to me. I can't think of a single app that stores hardware and device info in it's documents. It's abstracted for good reason.

Would be totally up for a revamp of preferences though, there are lots of improvements that can be made.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1