How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/07/26 01:39:48 (permalink)

How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work?

To be honest I've never really looked closely at this part of the Facebook site (I hardly even log on any more) but out of curiosity I had a look tonight and it freaked me out. I use a personal email address for Facebook and it's not linked to my business email at all, yet scrolling down the list of people I "might know" I found upwards of 100 people who have been customers of my business over the last 12 years or so. Some of them I literally haven't heard from for 12 years, and they certainly never had my personal email address or anything that could link them to my Facebook account (FB didn't even exist back then). My Facebook account is pretty much locked up privacy wise and there is nothing about my profile pic, cover pic or anything else visible publicly which could link me to my business and there are a ton of people with the same name as me in New York. The only thing I can think of is that these customers from years ago have for some strange reason tried to find me on Facebook and a link has been made there. Or the Facebook phone app has pulled out my phone number and linked it to other people who use the FB app and still have my phone number saved in their phones after all these years. Very sneaky if so!  But man, scrolling down that list had me yelling "holy s***" over and over again. 

The order freaks me out as well. It's  a 100 or so ancient ex-customers I haven't heard from in years, and then the expected "friends of friends." It's like Facebook is saying "Hey, before we show you the people you'd expect to find, have a look at these people from your past who have absolutely no digital connection to anything that's linked to your Facebook account! There, that blew your mind didn't it!" 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

10 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/26 03:54:40 (permalink)
    Voodoo.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/28 09:35:03 (permalink)
    It searches for third cousins four times removed and gets anyone closer than that...in most cases.

I tend to do the opposite of what it wants me to do.... instead of adding  "People you might know"... I periodically remove people I do know.  I also go through my "friends" list and evaluate each one..... do I actually know this person in real life..... are they contributing interesting points of view in an intelligent way....... if not.....  Culling the herd. And I rarely accept friend requests from people I have never met in person anymore.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/28 09:50:31 (permalink)
    Facebook performed a valuable service for me. It let me reconnect with a whole bunch of folks I had lost touch with over the years, and then reminded me why we drifted apart in the first place. 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/28 10:43:44 (permalink)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/28 10:52:21 (permalink)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/04/02/how-facebook-knows-who-all-your-friends-are-even-better-than-you-do/
    http://dataprotection.ie/documents/facebook%20report/final%20report/report.pdf

They get it by comparing the huge amount of information you gave them with the stuff others give them and finding points of intersection. Did you realize that you gave them access to any contact list/email address book on your computer when you signed up and permission to just go in and upload it? Did you refuse permission when they asked?

Facebook.
    Do no good.
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/28 11:26:24 (permalink)
    Hi,

I rarely use it and in general, I do not use any of those friendship and brouhaha sites!

I have never trusted their security levels, and the fact that they want more information about you. Not that I have anything to hide ... not gay ... 64 ... didn't bop the prom queen like everyone else did ... you know ... the usual fanfare!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/29 00:23:59 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/04/02/how-facebook-knows-who-all-your-friends-are-even-better-than-you-do/
    http://dataprotection.ie/documents/facebook%20report/final%20report/report.pdf

They get it by comparing the huge amount of information you gave them with the stuff others give them and finding points of intersection. Did you realize that you gave them access to any contact list/email address book on your computer when you signed up and permission to just go in and upload it? Did you refuse permission when they asked?

Facebook.
    Do no good.

I made a point of not allowing it access to my contacts lists when I signed up.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/29 04:36:06 (permalink)
    sharke
    I made a point of not allowing it access to my contacts lists when I signed up.

Good for you. Apparently some of the people you might know missed that opportunity. 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/29 08:02:30 (permalink)
    sharke
    The order freaks me out as well. It's  a 100 or so ancient ex-customers I haven't heard from in years, and then the expected "friends of friends." It's like Facebook is saying "Hey, before we show you the people you'd expect to find, have a look at these people from your past who have absolutely no digital connection to anything that's linked to your Facebook account! There, that blew your mind didn't it!"

It uses every little piece of information you tell it...

Age, where you were born, where you went to school, where you work, what you like, where you live, what you post about, friends of friends and any history you provided of all of that (former place of employment, other places you lived, etc...).

Think about that for a moment... You may have worked at "company A" 10 years ago, and if "irritating customer 1" likes that company - they end up on your suggested list and worse, vice versa. The possibilities are endless as to how they can compile those lists.

The less you tell Facebook about yourself the better...
    post edited by codamedia - 2015/07/29 08:09:22

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: How does Facebook's "People you may know" feature work? 2015/07/30 15:59:23 (permalink)
    I think it shows you friends of people you have as friends... makes me wonder about some of them. Where do they get these big eyed oriental girls with two posts? Why do they think I may know them?? Why do they think I would WANT to know them?

It is weird sometimes. Facebook creeps me out.

J
    post edited by jbow - 2015/07/30 16:19:29

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1