Can we talk about Soundcloud?

Author
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
2015/07/27 13:20:16 (permalink)

Can we talk about Soundcloud?

Hey y'all, there is no song on this post, but I hope it will still fit into this forum?

I notice that almost everyone uses Soundcloud for their tunes. For the benefit of all, I wonder if we could discuss a few questions:

1) Does SC keep your original bit rate (320kbps please?) or does SC render it unto 128 kbps no matter what you send it?

2) Does anyone else hear the cymbal flanging on many, many SC tracks?

3) Some of you enable downloads, some don't. What is your reasoning either way?

4) Do you offer to sell your downloads on some other site? Which one and why?

5) Are downloads the "dodo bird" and it's all about streaming now? 

thanks, I know a little Soundcloud chat might help everyone who strives to make their musical children sound good, certainly myself included. If there is a better forum to have this discussion, please advise?

thanks y'all!
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video

13 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 13:34:43 (permalink)
    1) Does SC keep your original bit rate (320kbps please?) or does SC render it unto 128 kbps no matter what you send it?

As far as I can tell it's rendered to 128kbps, although to my ears it sounds better than Soundclick, which definitely does that.

Never noticed that, no.

Don't see any point in enabling downloads when I've tried to give away music for free before with little success

Not any more. Sold a handful of tunes on Soundclick over the years, never made the minimum pay-out amount.

I don't know, but see 3) above.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Planobilly
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 14:03:51 (permalink)
    Hi Tom,

I will just address a few of the questions. First there many reasons for using soundcloud. I like it in it's pro form because it gives me stats down to what country and what city people who play my stuff are in.
    I put quick rough drafts of stuff up to get feedback.

I enable downloads because other people record with me and sometimes need the files or otherwise I have to dropbox them. I don't sell much on the internet and really nothing but albums on CD Baby. I have never made any real money selling on the internet. We made good money off record sales from the live shows and some small amount from a label in Holland. I guess like many blues musicians we have always been better liked in Europe than the United States.

The which and why of sites to sell music on is a long complex subject. Perhaps I will have a bit of time to give you my take later today.

Cheers,

Billy

" Music is a team sport "
    Vilovilo
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 14:44:13 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Soundcloud convert your track in 128 kb but the downloads are in the original file resolution .
    I've read theese informations on Izotope site in an article called :"Mastering for the web" or something lire that.
    All the best,
    Olivier
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 14:50:14 (permalink)

1) http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/94796

2) Occasionally.

3) I always allow my original work to be downloaded. I upload at 320kbps, and that is the file you get when you download.

4) Who on earth would buy my stuff?

5) Possibly... Although I make my songs available for download, no one bothers. So either everyone prefers to simply click on the play, and stream, or someone is trying to tell me something...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 16:42:49 (permalink)
    synkrotron

1) http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/94796

2) Occasionally.

3) I always allow my original work to be downloaded. I upload at 320kbps, and that is the file you get when you download.

4) Who on earth would buy my stuff?

5) Possibly... Although I make my songs available for download, no one bothers. So either everyone prefers to simply click on the play, and stream, or someone is trying to tell me something...

I sure as hell would.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    synkrotron
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 17:40:42 (permalink)
    marcos69
    I sure as hell would.

I've got two albums worth of stuff that I wouldn't give away, now that I know what I know about mixing and and what have you 

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 18:57:29 (permalink)
    - I always upload 16bit wave files and allow SC to do what it does.

- Sometimes...  It is MP3 conversion so hi-end artifacts can come with the territory

- I use the SC defaults, whatever they are

- Like Synkotron, I can't imagine actually selling my tunes  

- Good question!   No answer here though - I just don't keep up with this stuff

The bottom line for me is that SC is convenient, already has a large user base, and the color scheme reminds me of Melodyne. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 21:02:02 (permalink)
    I always upload 24/44.1 .wav files.

Not sure. Am I supposed to be listening for that? 

Sometimes I like to give away and sometimes I don't. I'm flaky that way.

Not worth the effort, IMO.

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/27 22:12:51 (permalink)
    I spent a little time on Nimbit (owned by PreSonus) when I was using Studio One, but it's not locked to it. They now let you specify the quality of the songs you post, all the way up to the loss-less files you uploaded. It looks like a store, because, well, it is, but you can set the price of your songs to $0, so peeps can d/l them for free. For those who perform live, they have some nice features.

http://www.nimbit.com/

Hard to beat CD Baby at what they do; they just don't do Soundcloud/Nimbit. Yet. ;)

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    synkrotron
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/28 03:31:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for point out Nimbit... I've created a new account there.

I like how they allow you to add your videos. Similar to ReverbNation in that respect.

One thing I would say about SoundCloud is, that if I do nothing whatsoever in terms of "advertising" my music there, I always get the odd listen. Whereas, on all the other sites I use, I get pretty much no listens at all.

synkrotron
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/29 05:50:42 (permalink)
    I'm going to add, I really do like SoundCloud... I don't know what it is, but I am finding that I'm "networking" a lot easier on SoundCloud than on any other hosting site I have used since the old days of mp3.com, and SoundCloud doesn't appear to have a forum as such.

I've spent the last few hours, stalking various other peeps followers, jumping from one to another, listening to some great ambient electronic and guitar tunes as I'm going, "liking" and "Following" as I go.

And the positive side to that is, every now and then, someone has listened to my stuff, which is more than I can hope for, and is the main reason I exist on the 'net.

I am sure that you will all agree that it feels real good to have someone take the time out to listen to one of your compositions 

Okay... Back to work!

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/29 11:29:00 (permalink)
    Sounds like my experience as well.  I don't go out of my way to push things, so it's nice that listens can happen on their own.    In some ways it is similar to the old mp3.com days - I remember there always being a lot of activity there.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Can we talk about Soundcloud? 2015/07/29 12:21:47 (permalink)
    hm.

i always upload 16 bit/44.1khz wav files to soundcloud.

i figure if they are going to do the conversion,
    i'll give them the best file i can give them that matches 'some' standard (redbook)

if i want to give the song away,
    or hope that someone will actually do some deep study of it for analysis purposes,
    i'll click the 'allow download' button when i upload -
    then that file that is downloaded is the wav file.

that seems to work best

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1