Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/07/29 11:00:03 (permalink)

Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date

So I finally wrapped up some session work I've been doing over the past month and a half. Taking it easy today and figured "Hey, why not do some housekeeping on the DAW?". It had been a while since I updated Windows (which I do manually) so I go over and start up the Win Update thing. There's almost 50 updates available. I start the download/install thinking it'll probably be maybe a half hour or so and I can just do some other stuff around the house. I come back to it 20 minutes later and it's stuck on the first update entry.

So I cancel it and retry. The download speed for the updates stays stuck at 0kb per second. I had seen a link on my usual news site about Win 10 earlier today and made the connection... today is the freaking release day for Win 10. Their servers must be getting SLAMMED!

No updates for me. D'oh!

17 Replies Related Threads

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 11:03:55 (permalink)
    Took me 20 mins to update to Win10

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Beepster
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 11:06:17 (permalink)
    I'm sure they're doing what they can to keep that all running smooth to avoid nerd wrath/bad reviews.

Just a bad day to be a lowly 7 user... unless maybe ole Billy boy's got a personal beef with me.
    charlyg
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 11:56:24 (permalink)
    If you had the icon, it would have already been downloaded and ready to install.

Beepster
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 12:06:59 (permalink)
    charlyg
    If you had the icon, it would have already been downloaded and ready to install.

Not trying to download 10 and have that blocked (actually that preload thing is in the "Recommended" updates which I don't install so thankfully I did not have that sh*tty preinstall nag-o-rama going on).

Just a boring old update of 7.

However I relaunched the update about ten minutes ago just to see if it would work and now I see I am getting some progress. Pretty quick now actually. Maybe they realized something was up and fixed it.

I'm interested in trying out 10 (and getting it for free) but I have to figure out some stuff about it first. I want to do a FULL/CLEAN install on my systems. Not a stupid "upgrade".

Basically I want to download the whole thing for both my DAW and laptop onto a disc so I can install it like I would my paid for Win7 Pro disc (for my DAW) or like the recovery part. on my laptop (7 Home Premium).

Might even try it in a Virtual Machine thingie or on a partition first. Not about to destroy my good systems with MS chicannery without a good exit plan and a chance to test it properly.

I've got high hopes for 10 but it's still, IMO, unproven and I am far too stoopid to figure out hyper technical problems so I operate with an overabundance of caution.
    charlyg
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 12:17:38 (permalink)
    oh, my bad......

"keep on truckin"
    "Just passin thru"

PS & FWIW - I had the above stitched on the back  of my Navy ball cap back in the day.

H/T to the zoot suit guy and Mr Natural.

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 13:15:19 (permalink)
    From what I read today the files will. E downloaded to your computer and after the upgrade you can save the installers to do a clean install via CD or USB.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 13:27:42 (permalink)
    dont do like I did with win 7 updates and let them pile up( I do manual updates after getting burned by unwanted consequences of an automatic one) and try to update all at once

you probably will end up with the dreaded "stuck at 32% updating" cycle....like I did and try repairs and the like

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 14:29:26 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    outland144k
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/29 15:48:42 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Some of you may find this informative.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3ewa8r/psa_here_is_how_to_check_if_windows_10_is/

Thanks, it is informative.  I'm definitely trying to weigh this out carefully before I upgrade.  I'm perfectly happy with Win 7 Pro and see no reason to upgrade, but if there are gains to be had (particularly in audio or latency) I'll probably want in.  It'll also be appreciated if anyone who is an early adopter lets us know of any issues or quirks they encounter.  Thanks!

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 03:21:13 (permalink)
    My tip from dealing with MicroSquish since they started the company: Never buy (or use) the first release of any new product.  

Oh wait, we NEED people to find all those bugs that need to be fixed before I use it.  Never mind, carry on. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 04:58:58 (permalink)

If you've downloaded/installed the free upgrade Windows 10, make sure you check to see if it's activated.

It seems a lot of folk are unaware that this isn't always being done automatically. There are also reports that in a lot of instances, when you click to activate, the process isn't working, returning the Error code: 0xC004F034.

As this happened to yours truly, I did a quick search and discovered that the solution was rather simple. Instead of just clicking the 'Activate' button once (which displays the error message each time), you have to continually/rapidly click on the button and it will eventually accept it. It took me around 10 clicks to get the activation acknowledgement, others have reported it can take 20 or 30 clicks.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 08:48:01 (permalink)
    charlyg

Was gonna say ... I was pretty sure that most of it was already downloaded if you signed up for it.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    Moshkito
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 08:50:24 (permalink)
    Ham N Egz
    dont do like I did with win 7 updates and let them pile up( I do manual updates after getting burned by unwanted consequences of an automatic one) and try to update all at once

you probably will end up with the dreaded "stuck at 32% updating" cycle....like I did and try repairs and the like

The option to alert you and let you decide is the best, and it is about one update every 2 days or so. No big deal. Piling up is silly and no wonder the Microsoft Servers get hit ... and it is harder on your computer since several of the updates might require a restart, which means a larger chance to mess things up!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 15:09:55 (permalink)
    Moshkito
    Ham N Egz

The option to alert you and let you decide is the best, and it is about one update every 2 days or so. No big deal. Piling up is silly and no wonder the Microsoft Servers get hit ... and it is harder on your computer since several of the updates might require a restart, which means a larger chance to mess things up!

C'mon man! You can't call Ham N Egz silly! (Unless there's no cheese to go with it; that would be silly.) 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/30 20:49:32 (permalink)
    Hey! I'm an idiot and I haven't done anything with W-10... I can't even find it! I'd still be an idiot though.
    I've known I'm an idiot for a long time.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    rontarrant
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/31 05:42:18 (permalink)
    Beepster
    I'm interested in trying out 10 (and getting it for free) but I have to figure out some stuff about it first. I want to do a FULL/CLEAN install on my systems. Not a stupid "upgrade".

From what I've read, you have to do the upgrade, then go for a clean reinstall. Otherwise, the installer won't accept your serial number and authorization code.

-Ron T.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
    Moshkito
    Re: Welp, I'm an idiot. Pro Tip: Don't decide to update Windows on a major MS release date 2015/07/31 10:51:16 (permalink)
    rontarrant
    Beepster

From what I've read, you have to do the upgrade, then go for a clean reinstall. Otherwise, the installer won't accept your serial number and authorization code.

It's being piped as if it were an upgrade. Not sure you gonna see it in the stores for a bit. I think it's due in stores in October or something, at which point you should be able to install it without upgrading, if it is new. Upgrading is still less expensive all around.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1