Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks?

Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2015/07/29 20:33:54 (permalink)

Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks?

So I am finished with a track made up of all softsynths.   Is it best to bounce each track to an audio track and then maybe hide the MIDI?   

I understand for safety, it would probably be best bet, but is there any difference on the audio side I need to worry about, or can I start my mix phase right from soft synths, then export to audio for mastering?

Thank you!

17 Replies Related Threads

millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/29 21:26:17 (permalink)
    The only benefit I know of would be to free up some system resources by freezing the synth tracks. If there's plenty of horsepower on your system and the project can handle playing all your synths in real time without any glitches etc then I'd leave it as is. FWIW I've always left all my midi tracks as is without issue.

(Having said that, I have had one recent weird midi export experience - there's another thread on that if you're interested - but not sure of the cause. It decided to fix itself before I worked out what happened! )

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    noynekker
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/29 21:29:38 (permalink)
    Down the road a few years, when your system and plugins have changed, the midi based soft synths may not load up the same as they used to. If you have frozen tracks, or bounced to tracks, at least you still have the audio rendition in place to carry on.

"can I start my mix phase right from soft synths, then export to audio for mastering?"

I have done both, and have found out that mixing and mastering don't always get along inside one project.
    My opinion is that it's best to export to audio, then master that exported audio in a new "mastering" project.
    That said, I do have simpler projects where mixing and mastering inside one project makes total sense.

It's also been stated many times on this forum that you can export the audio at a higher bit depth, then use dithering when mastering to a lower bit depth (depending on the medium / end result needed)
     Advantage ? . . . some say it sounds better doing this.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 01:06:47 (permalink)
    I take it that bouncing midi to audio means freezing it.

In my case, it's only necessary for Session Drummer 3. Many times in my project during looping or start/stop editing on other tracks, SD3 will lose audio for a while, like it's muted. Then after a few bars, audio shall be back again.

And if I inserted a few instances of SD3, I must freeze the SD3 tracks that I'm done with, other wise Sonar may hang - Edit : upon next startup of the same project with multiple SD3s.
    post edited by tomixornot - 2015/07/30 01:15:10

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 01:23:54 (permalink)
    What I do is freeze all midi tracks, copy and paste them to a new (audio) track and name them, unfreeze the original and archive it and drag it to the bottom of the screen.  Then I work from an all audio version.  That way it is simple to get the midi back and I'm working all with audio.  That is how I learned to work - on tape.  And early digital, where the computers couldn't handle more than one soft synth or reverb.  But it just seems neater to work in all audio.

But that is the great thing about DAWs and home studios, you can develop your own best practices.  If you prefer midi and it doesn't choke your computer, there is no reason not to work that way.  Whatever makes you feel comfortable.  And yes, you just export the entire song and SONAR converts the midi to audio w/ no action necessary on your part.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 01:42:40 (permalink)
    I think so, I do it all the time, usually as soon as possible. I like to separate building a track into distinct phases: composition and sound design, mixing and effects processing, finalization and mastering. The boundaries tend to be a bit fuzzy for me because I like to start mixing as soon as I've got enough of the track programmed to make it worth mixing. A lot of times I'll listen to the sofar mix and decide I want to add a sound to it, I wouldn't be able to make that decision without hearing the mix.
    I do a lot of pop music and I generally like a hotter signal so I set everything to around -12 dbfs for each distinct sound I want in a mix, I've found that for the plugins I use the most -18 dbfs is not enough signal. Sometimes I'll use the same soft synth for more than one part but I want to separate the parts for the final mix. A lot of soft synths like Z3TA will add subsonic rumble even when when the part is living above 400 Hz, without adding an EQ on the audio or instrument track you can't clean that stuff up pre-bounce and if you put the EQ on the synth, you may decide you want the rumble after all, then you have to bounce it again without the EQ.
    For example: I usually do between 4 and 20 percussion parts each with their own MIDI track sometimes using multiple percussion synths, if I mixed them in the soft synth I'd have to deal with tiny faders with limited resolution and I still want to add processing. On top of that, I'd have to deal with overs due to summing (kick, snare, clap, hat, blip thingy). Even if I end up gluing them on the sub, I still want to be able tweak the parts individually.
    Once I get the drums/percussion and bass tracks sketched out, I'll start bouncing and mixing. Then it's easy to start filling in the blanks.
    Once I'm around half way through the mixing part my MIDI tracks are muted or archived and I'm dealing almost exclusively with audio.
    YMMV, pick whatever workflow works for you and don't worry about it.
    post edited by TomHelvey - 2015/07/30 02:29:56

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 02:20:32 (permalink)
    AT
    What I do is freeze all midi tracks, copy and paste them to a new (audio) track and name them, unfreeze the original and archive it and drag it to the bottom of the screen.  Then I work from an all audio version.  That way it is simple to get the midi back and I'm working all with audio.  That is how I learned to work - on tape.  And early digital, where the computers couldn't handle more than one soft synth or reverb.  But it just seems neater to work in all audio.

But that is the great thing about DAWs and home studios, you can develop your own best practices.  If you prefer midi and it doesn't choke your computer, there is no reason not to work that way.  Whatever makes you feel comfortable.  And yes, you just export the entire song and SONAR converts the midi to audio w/ no action necessary on your part.

@

That's my method as well. I keep the softsynths frozen unless I need them and work only with the copied and renamed audio tracks in the mix. Additionally I use shortcut key H frequently as I proceed so I can hide any tracks I'm not using. So the frozen ones are out of the track view unless I need to back to the source midi or softsynth to adjust anything, which is easy to do. I prefer to only look at the active tracks for the mix rather than distractions like frozen tracks.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 02:46:10 (permalink)
    I convert all MIDI to audio so I can EQ the audio tracks where needed.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 03:38:06 (permalink)
    Skyline_UK
    I convert all MIDI to audio so I can EQ the audio tracks where needed.

You can just as easily EQ any soft synth without bouncing/freezing. You don't need the audio to work with.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 03:40:30 (permalink)
    I usually need to bounce/freeze softsynths to audio due to lack of horsepower.
    I try to keep the drums as MIDI, as I tend to edit them to the last minute.

Skyline - EQing the softsynths doesn't require bouncing/freezing. Do I miss your point?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 05:22:51 (permalink)
    I always mix with audio only.
    That means that all midi has to be converted to audio before that happens.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Bigdogs
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 05:32:08 (permalink)
    noynekker
    Down the road a few years, when your system and plugins have changed, the midi based soft synths may not load up the same as they used to. If you have frozen tracks, or bounced to tracks, at least you still have the audio rendition in place to carry on.

I think this is a major benefit of freezing/bouncing to audio - many times I've gone back to old semi-abandoned projects and not been able to play them back because of changes to my plug-ins. 

Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit, i5 4670K Haswell Processor,  4.2GHz, 8Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk     
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 06:04:53 (permalink)
    Bigdogs
    noynekker

I think this is a major benefit of freezing/bouncing to audio - many times I've gone back to old semi-abandoned projects and not been able to play them back because of changes to my plug-ins. 

I agree, and I must get into the habit of doing this...

On my old system, using Sonar 6 PE, I had to freeze stuff because my DAW would grind to a halt. Now that my DAW can handle well over twenty VSTi instances, I tend not to "freeze" them. But I know from recent experience, when opening old projects with synths like Absynth 3 (now 5) and Battery 2 (now 3) I've not been able to get those older synths to work, and it's only the fact that I've frozen them in the past that I've been able to pick up an old project.

So, yeah... Note to self: Freeze VSTi tracks once the project is finished (my projects are never finished  )

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 06:13:56 (permalink)
    "A work of art is never finished - only abandoned"

Leonardo Da Vinci

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 06:45:16 (permalink)
    Personally I work exclusively with midi then i don't have to hear how bad it is..

But, seriously, there is no hard answer, i think provided that at some point before you end the project that you bounce so that you have a copy of every audio track and every midi track as an archive.. lately i have also been considering exporting the project as OMF as a "portable archive"

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    tvolhein
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 413
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 09:02:58 (permalink)
    I convert MIDI to audio when I want to fade a clip versus fade the track.  I can't fade a MIDI clip.  I don't like enveloping the track, because that means that I can't use the fader to raise or lower the gain on a track, I have to do it in the envelope or insert a bus that I route the track to.  That for me is too convoluted.

t

Tom Volhein
    tvolhein@gmail.com
    http://www.tomvolhein.com
    H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 10:48:36 (permalink)
    I too convert all tracks to audio and hide/archive the midi. Many times over the years this has saved me chasing previously used plugins that I no longer have. Mixing in audio somehow feels like I have more control, though this is based on no measurable outcomes and is almost certainly confabulation on my part:) 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Any Benefit To Bouncing MIDI To Audio Tracks? 2015/07/30 10:54:59 (permalink)
    I've never converted midi to audio. And even with older sad computers this was never a problem. But them I use only a couple of soft synths per project. Most of my tracks are audio. 
    But all EQ and effects can be added to the track folder of any synth which is really an audio track. 

I keep midi open so I can continue to edit if need be. 
    I save all projects as MIDI files too for future proofing. I guess I think the oposite as a midi file is future proof, not a CWP file. There will always be better synths to use in the future so why worry about not having a certain sound? And I always finnish songs and move on. My backing tracks are the only projects that I will return to in the future to change and improve with better drums ect. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1