Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/07/30 13:26:46 (permalink)

Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects

Seems dumb I don't know how to do this by now but I've never really seen this topic covered in depth. I know there are many ways to go about this stuff based on posts here on the forum so I just want to get an idea of what I can and cannot do. I'm scouring the Contents menu of the manual and there seem to be a few scattered, semi on topic entries but I'm posting this in hopes of getting a few simple procedures, concepts and keywords for me to search about for.

Essentially I've done a ton of MIDI stuff from inside a project. Now I want to be able to yank MIDI clips/files/whatever from various sources (like other projects or clients or the internet or wherever I need) and get them inserted where I need. Converesely I want to be able to effectively and intelligently export MIDI clips/files. It's still all a little daunting but I think if I can understand how to manage a MIDI file outside of a project I'll be closer to happiness.

For now I have a very specific need. I have a project that has been sent to me. It is laden with MIDI files. I only need specific tracks from that project and I don't want to work in that project. I want to create a NEW project and get the MIDI files I want into that new project and hopefully import them exactly at the point on the timeline they appear in the original project.

I've seen Drag Drop to the Browser or Desktop mentioned. I've seen the MIDI option in the Export dialog options. These are all things I'll be exploring I guess but I want to hear from you guys how you all do it.

I personal prefer starting with whatever method gives me the most options so I can see whats up. Like I've seen a lot of reports about SysX data or controller stuff causing problems when doing things like this. Maybe there is a dialog that allows any unnecessary gack like that to be stripped on export (or import) without having to do it manually.

Anyway... that's just an example of the type of thing I'd be doing. Really though I just want to get a good handle on how all this stuff works so I'm not coming here bugging you guys. Just need a punt in the right direction whether it's in the manual or videos or if you guys want to post some general steps/procedures for me to try.

Another thing is one of the reasons I want to try this is to use my own VSTi's on stuff so I guess that would fall under Drum Map stuff? Ya? Right now I think I'd be taking a Kontakt drum part and trying to translate it to Addictive Drums or maybe BFD Eco. I know a lot of the time drum stuff uses the same notes to trigger specific things but maybe not. So, and this is of course less important than the import export thing, just wondering what I can expect with that type of instrument/sampler change between those specific programs.

Cheers, thanks and sorry if that's all kind of dumb and crazy. lol

;-)

29 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 13:41:51 (permalink)
    Hi. Recently I just drag and drop from the browser, to wherever I need it. It goes for both MIDI and audio.
    Others will probably have a more elaborated way of doing this

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 13:47:21 (permalink)
    Zargg71
    Hi. Recently I just drag and drop from the browser, to wherever I need it. It goes for both MIDI and audio.
    Others will probably have a more elaborated way of doing this

Welp, if that works then it's 1 method added to the pile. I figured this could be done in this manner but have never tried. I am concerned it may drag along MIDI instructions I don't want but I will test it.

Thanks.

1 down... I'm sure probably a dozen other methods to go. ;-)
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 13:50:05 (permalink)
    I would simply save the project that you received as a MIDI file. This will keep everything timed in relation to one another.  You don't want to use MIDI clips unless you don't care about their time line position. The other thing is simply load the resulting MIDI do not import it. This will preserve its BPM. You will want it to be a type 1 MIDI file so all the channels are on their own track. 

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:00:10 (permalink)
    John
    I would simply save the project that you received as a MIDI file. This will keep everything timed in relation to one another.  You don't want to use MIDI clips unless you don't care about their time line position. The other thing is simply load the resulting MIDI do not import it. This will preserve its BPM. You will want it to be a type 1 MIDI file so all the channels are on their own track. 

Thanks, John... but being the dum dumd I am I have no idea what any of that means.

If I saved this project as a MIDI file I'm not sure what would happen. The reason I want to avoid it (and start my own new project) is because the original project is HUGE and mapped out to a ton of instruments I do not own. I also only need a few elements out of the whole thing.

Usually, when dealing with audio projects that have been sent to me instead of using the CWP or CWB I create my own project and set it up as needed to match the original. Just much more stable that way I find. So perhaps that mindset is tripping me up. I want to treat the MIDI tracks like I would audio (set up the project and import the individual files).

Knowaddimean? Of course MIDI is totally different which... well that's why I'm here, hat in hand, again.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit. Everything is helpful really because it gives me ideas to scour around the manual/program for. Once I get my foot in the door I can usually dig down and sort things out.

Thanks.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:02:12 (permalink)
    I'm with zargg71. The browser features have evolved over the different versions of Sonar and is getting more an more useful. Drag and drop has had some recent fixes and it now works properly both ways.

You can drag and drop internally from track to browser and vice versa as well as to and from the windows desktop.

Allows you to create a repository of small clips from larger ones ones as well as use existing clips to drop into existing projects. The browser also allows you to audition clips before you commit.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:06:00 (permalink)
    PS: I also think this is the type of stuff that might help other beginners. As you know I've been studying the program independently for over three years now and I guess I figured this type of thing would have crossed my path in all that time. It has not, at least not in any way that jumps out and makes immediate sense to me. I just don't think it's all that well documented. The people that know about MIDI are probably just used to it but a dinosaur rocker like me... well it ain't clicking so good.

I'm sure by the time this thread concludes I'll be smacking my forehead with a hearty "D'oh". Just haven't hit that moment yet. Heheh.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:09:23 (permalink)
    mudgel
    I'm with zargg71. The browser features have evolved over the different versions of Sonar and is getting more an more useful. Drag and drop has had some recent fixes and it now works properly both ways.

You can drag and drop internally from track to browser and vice versa as well as to and from the windows desktop.

Allows you to create a repository of small clips from larger ones ones as well as use existing clips to drop into existing projects. The browser also allows you to audition clips before you commit.

Yup. Definitely gonna try that out. But if it's anything like the audio D and D it won't have the plethora of options a proper old school Save/Export does. Convenience is great and that may end up being the go to option in the end but I'm a curious little monkey. I want to "understand" I guess as opposed to simply grunt through it.

Thanks though. It may get me through what I'm planning currently.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:09:23 (permalink)
    Dupety dupe. :-/
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:22:59 (permalink)
    Beepster
    John

Thanks, John... but being the dum dumd I am I have no idea what any of that means.

If I saved this project as a MIDI file I'm not sure what would happen. The reason I want to avoid it (and start my own new project) is because the original project is HUGE and mapped out to a ton of instruments I do not own. I also only need a few elements out of the whole thing.

Usually, when dealing with audio projects that have been sent to me instead of using the CWP or CWB I create my own project and set it up as needed to match the original. Just much more stable that way I find. So perhaps that mindset is tripping me up. I want to treat the MIDI tracks like I would audio (set up the project and import the individual files).

Knowaddimean? Of course MIDI is totally different which... well that's why I'm here, hat in hand, again.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit. Everything is helpful really because it gives me ideas to scour around the manual/program for. Once I get my foot in the door I can usually dig down and sort things out.

Thanks.

When you save the MIDI within a project via save as MIDI it becomes a standard MIDI file that can be loaded back into Sonar as just that. MID is a native file format to Sonar. Most people import MIDI files. That is not the right way simply load them as if they were a regular project.  When you saved the MIDI from the other project it also saved all the data about the MIDI in that project. When you load the MIDI file into Sonar it will preserve all the info about it.  If you import it the BPM is stripped so it can match the project its being loaded into.

Make it the base for you new project.  

Best
    John
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:39:11 (permalink)
    Beep - why not do a Save As to a new file/folder and just delete what you don't want?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:39:56 (permalink)
    John
    When you save the MIDI within a project via save as MIDI it becomes a standard MIDI file that can be loaded back into Sonar as just that. MID is a native file format to Sonar. Most people import MIDI files. That is not the right way simply load them as if they were a regular project.  When you saved the MIDI from the other project it also saved all the data about the MIDI in that project. When you load the MIDI file into Sonar it will preserve all the info about it.  If you import it the BPM is stripped so it can match the project its being loaded into.

Make it the base for you new project.  

Okay, thanks for the effort. I'm gonna need some child level explanations here but I kind of get this. So let me ask some follow ups.

Considering I'm dealing with multiple tracks and I want those tracks completely separated... how do I deal with that? 
    By saving it as MIDI it almost sound like it's going to... well I don't know what it's going to do. Do I just select the tracks I want included in the Save? Then they all appear separately in the new project when I open it?

And you brought up a concern abotu stripping out the BPM... I honestly don't care about that type of thing being removed because I set up the blank project to the correct BPM/Time Sig anyway BUT maybe is the clip doesn't have that data it won't adjust to the new project properly?

I guess my final concern is about the whole reason I start completely new projects. I don't want ANY remnants of the old project because they have likely been worked on so much and little corruptions can enter. By saving it as .MID does it use the old project as the foundation or does it only extract the Tempo/Time Sig type data? I'd imagine this is the type of thing only a Baker programmer could answer but that is the whole premise behind wanting to move MIDI stuff around like this.

Also I may want to drag this type of thing right into existing projects so I don't always want to start with just MIDI. Sometimes I want to drag MIDI into something on the go.

See? This is why I have to get good at this.

I'm getting some ideas though so anyone who wants to chime in and keep throwing gack at my pea brain some is bound to stick. Strange learning process I know but I always walk away from these threads with things to try and terms to search.

Cheeers!
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:44:26 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Beep - why not do a Save As to a new file/folder and just delete what you don't want?

I don't want to have anything to do with the original project file. There is just WAY too much going on. Tons of tracks, busses, routing. Essentially it would be more work to sort through it all and as I said I'd rather start fresh for stability reasons. Even for my own stuff I completely scrap projects and import previous work to a new version to keep things stable and smooth. For something like this I don't even want to touch it.

I also want to do all the mapping from scratch myself because I have a bunch of other procedures I'm trying to learn/test so it'll be more beneficial starting with a blank project and dragging the files in.

Hard to explain. I know I'm probably being weird and crazy but theres a methid to my madness. ;-)

Thanks.
    Zargg
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:52:21 (permalink)
    If you know which MIDI files belong where (names, instrument, time, etc), I would just drag them from the browser, into your new project.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 14:52:54 (permalink)
    And just so no one gets annoyed (hopefully) this isn't exactly a "Solveable Issue". This thread is more about just learning as much as I can about MIDI file management. I probably already have enough to get on with what I immediately need to do but I want to dig right in so I can do whatever I want/need to. 
    I was just drawing to many blanks as I tried to plot out some tasks and that bothers me immensely.

Everything posted already and whatever is forthcoming is wicked appreciated as always.

John
    Forum Host
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:05:34 (permalink)

Considering I'm dealing with multiple tracks and I want those tracks completely separated... how do I deal with that? 
    By saving it as MIDI it almost sound like it's going to... well I don't know what it's going to do. Do I just select the tracks I want included in the Save? Then they all appear separately in the new project when I open it?

And you brought up a concern abotu stripping out the BPM... I honestly don't care about that type of thing being removed because I set up the blank project to the correct BPM/Time Sig anyway BUT maybe is the clip doesn't have that data it won't adjust to the new project properly?

I'm getting some ideas though so anyone who wants to chime in and keep throwing gack at my pea brain some is bound to stick. Strange learning process I know but I always walk away from these threads with things to try and terms to search.

Cheeers!

You save the whole project as a type 1 MIDI file this will strip out all the MIDI tracks and save them in a MIDI file. You don't need to select anything. The time and tempo is preserve when you save as a MIDI file. If you drag it in, its an import and will loose all that data. It will use what ever is in the project its imported to. Use open to load it. 

Try it and see. It isn't hard. Nor will it harm anything. Sonar is the only major DAW that can do this. It has kept its MIDI roots in the best ways. Other DAWs can save as a MIDI file but none can open one. They all need to import them in. Sonar is the only one that can open a MIDI file as a native file format.  

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:10:10 (permalink)
    Zargg71
    If you know which MIDI files belong where (names, instrument, time, etc), I would just drag them from the browser, into your new project.

For an example let's say I am trying to get three instruments in. Drums, Piano and... uh Vuvuzela (lol). What I'm thinking is I insert three empty MIDI tracks into either a blank project or into an existing project. I make a decision of whatever synths I want to use for each part (like AD2 for drums, TTS1 for piano and Vuvuzela Pro for the annoying squonks... which of course is a made up synth that I totally am trademarking with this post... lol). I insert the needed instrument audio tracks for each synth, route everything as needed. Of course there are other more automagic ways to do this but I think it will be good for me to do it manually for a while (trying to learn stuff and all).

Then I just drag the correct MIDI file into each of those MIDI tracks. This is the part that is tripping me up. I guess the drag and drop is probably the way to go for easy peasy action but I also want to learn old school and hard ways. Ultra intricate and full control. Maybe I should learn about the Event List thingie more and just Drag and Drop to the browser, open a new project, use the EI to strip what I don't want out (like controllers/sysx), drag THAT out to the Browser and then yank that into the project.

So really... I'm trying to make things as hard and complicated as possible so I know WTF is going on. Then I can make calculated decisions as to whether a simple Drag Drop will work or I need to export or I need to edit... etc.

None of that likely makes any sense. I want it to make sense. I have no real plan aside from trusting the newfangled "convenience" features.

So yeah... Export, Save As, Drag Drop Export, Import, Drag Drop Import, yadda yadda. Big program, big topic, lots of hardened MIDI veterans around... make dum dum Beeps smarterer. Yes?

:-p
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:19:19 (permalink)
    JohnYou save the whole project as a type 1 MIDI file this will strip out all the MIDI tracks and save them in a MIDI file. You don't need to select anything. The time and tempo is preserve when you save as a MIDI file. If you drag it in, its an import and will loose all that data. It will use what ever is in the project its imported to. Use open to load it. 

Try it and see. It isn't hard. Nor will it harm anything. Sonar is the only major DAW that can do this. It has kept its MIDI roots in the best ways. Other DAWs can save as a MIDI file but none can open one. They all need to import them in. Sonar is the only one that can open a MIDI file as a native file format.  

Alright. Thanks, John. Still not really getting that and it almost sounds like it's gonna try to cram multiple tracks into one but I'll play with it. Just gathering info so this is one more thing to experiment with.

Since I'm so used to audio though I just kind of want to do things like an audio track export... except for MIDI.

My process for exporting a track with audio is

1) Set the Now Time to 00:00:00

2) Select the Track(s) I want to export

3) File > Export: Select the Tracks option in the dialog (and set it appropriately)

4) Export to a folder of my choice

I get tons of options for what gets included in the export and I can pick and choose exactly the tracks I want.

So really... I kind of want to do THAT except with MIDI... so I end up with a MIDI file that I can Import or drag into whatever project I want.

Does this exist?
    Zargg
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:38:22 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Zargg71

For an example let's say I am trying to get three instruments in. Drums, Piano and... uh Vuvuzela (lol). What I'm thinking is I insert three empty MIDI tracks into either a blank project or into an existing project. I make a decision of whatever synths I want to use for each part (like AD2 for drums, TTS1 for piano and Vuvuzela Pro for the annoying squonks... which of course is a made up synth that I totally am trademarking with this post... lol). I insert the needed instrument audio tracks for each synth, route everything as needed. Of course there are other more automagic ways to do this but I think it will be good for me to do it manually for a while (trying to learn stuff and all).

Then I just drag the correct MIDI file into each of those MIDI tracks. This is the part that is tripping me up. I guess the drag and drop is probably the way to go for easy peasy action but I also want to learn old school and hard ways. Ultra intricate and full control. Maybe I should learn about the Event List thingie more and just Drag and Drop to the browser, open a new project, use the EI to strip what I don't want out (like controllers/sysx), drag THAT out to the Browser and then yank that into the project.

So really... I'm trying to make things as hard and complicated as possible so I know WTF is going on. Then I can make calculated decisions as to whether a simple Drag Drop will work or I need to export or I need to edit... etc.

None of that likely makes any sense. I want it to make sense. I have no real plan aside from trusting the newfangled "convenience" features.

So yeah... Export, Save As, Drag Drop Export, Import, Drag Drop Import, yadda yadda. Big program, big topic, lots of hardened MIDI veterans around... make dum dum Beeps smarterer. Yes?

:-p

You could import MIDI, to a chosen / selected track, with the timeline at proper time. (If  wanting to contain all information within the clip, I believe that you would have to make sure that is is imported to the right time, MIDI type, and such. Others may prove me wrong)
    It is probably possible to do this in a very advanced way, but that is beyond me

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ

John
    Forum Host
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:39:53 (permalink)
    A type 0 MIDI file will place all MIDI into one track. A type 1 MIDI file will have the MIDI on independent tracks according to channel. You can select the tracks you want to save in the MIDI file. I wouldn't bother in the case you were talking about. By opening the file everything MIDI will be as it was in the project it came from. If there are MIDI clips or tracks you don't want just delete them. This will become the new project and you can set it up as you wish adding as many audio tracks as you need along with buses. I don't know how to explain this better. 

Doing it is so much easier than talking about it. 

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:52:28 (permalink)
    John

Doing it is so much easier than talking about it. 

Not really, actually... at least not for me. Now I know about MIDI 0 vs MIDI 1 Save As. This gives me an important thing to research. That's why I'm prodding for terms, procedures and general info. That way I can glean stuff, poke aroung the manual, poke around the program and get a broader understanding.

It's just the way I learn. I've found that if I just learn one way that works immediately then I'm limited. If I get a few ideas, look into them, try some stuff out THEN try it I actually understand what's up. Obviously there is WAY more ways to skin the proverbial cat in Sonar and music production is extremely varied in how things need to be done.

So defintely, thank you. I will of course try all that but really... I want to hear as many different ways to do this stuff as possible. I'll try them all so I know how they work and have just a little bit more power over my tiny little universe.

Now I can research MIDI 0 and MIDI 1 (although I was having a hard time finding MIDI export entries in the PDF but I'll intertube it).

Cheers.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 15:59:43 (permalink)
    For the specific task of copying selected MIDI clips from one project to another, preserving start times, and leaving behind unwanted events and track parameters, I would suggest something like this:

- Open both projects.
    - Create the target MIDI/Instrument tracks in your new project (one for each track you will copy)
    - Ctrl+tab to the source project.
    - Select the tracks you want by sweeping and/or Ctrl+clicking track numbers.
    - Ctrl+A to Select All.
    - Edit > Select by filter, uncheck any data types you don't want and OK.
    - Ctrl+tab back to the new project.
    - Select the first target track, set Now time to 1:01:000, and Ctrl+V to paste.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 16:01:28 (permalink)
    I'm in the middle of dling Sonar Gloucester and Win 10 for my laptop. I'm not thinking as much about this as I should. I am completely yours to ask specific questions of and any help I can give is yours for the asking.

When it comes to computers and music I started out with MIDI. I know it well. One big reason I use Sonar. Believe it or not none of it is hard. Heck, I can do it that means it has to be easy.   

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 16:03:13 (permalink)
    Since this is all about learning and really I just need to be pointed in the right direction...

Googling "Sonar MIDI 1" brought up this old X2 documentation...

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=MIDI_Files.1.html

Still kind of Greek to me but I just started poking at it and I'm learning something. It looks like it'll lead on into more useful stuff and terms that I can then expand my seraches for.

It's really that easy for me. Throw out ideas and I'm like a dog with a bone. S'all I need really.

Cheers!
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/30 16:08:42 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    For the specific task of copying selected MIDI clips from one project to another, preserving start times, and leaving behind unwanted events and track parameters, I would suggest something like this:

- Open both projects.
    - Create the target MIDI/Instrument tracks in your new project (one for each track you will copy)
    - Ctrl+A to Select All.

Okay... that's interesting. Especially the Edit > Select filtering stuff. I was indeed contemplating the two open project route as well and it definitely would add some brevity to certain things. Doesn't cover other stuff but this is exactly the type of idea I want. Just need the old Beep noodle to get moving on this.

Thanks, Brunds.

John
    I'm in the middle of dling Sonar Gloucester and Win 10 for my laptop. I'm not thinking as much about this as I should. I am completely yours to ask specific questions of and any help I can give is yours for the asking.

When it comes to computers and music I started out with MIDI. I know it well. One big reason I use Sonar. Believe it or not none of it is hard. Heck, I can do it that means it has to be easy.   

Totally cool, man. Don't go out of your way on my account. This is a casual thread anyway. It is intended to meander. I just want ideas. Of course I chose a release day to post it... lol. Bad timing.

Cheers, John. Enjoy the new release.
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/31 11:20:29 (permalink)
    brundlefly

- Open both projects.
    - Ctrl+A to Select All.

This doesn't seem to work. I may be doing something wrong but I followed the steps. Not sure if this is exactly what I want anyway but it has exposed me to some intersting features/options/dialogs I was not aware of. I'll have to read up more on how to properly work with Selct by Filter (and various other things I uncovered while poking around this stuff).

Cheers.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/31 11:41:01 (permalink)
    D'of! Looks like I left out "Ctrl+C to copy" after the Select by Filter step. Also, you'll want to skip Ctrl+A if you're selectively copying tracks.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/31 11:43:18 (permalink)
    This is one of the things that have me stay with Sonar. Here you have been with Sonar since X1 and there are things you haven't explored yet. To me that just says how deep Sonar is. The most likely things that a user is going to need to do are up front easy to get to and easy to understand. While the power and depth is there not far from the surface and quite accessible.  

I've been with Sonar from day one of its first release.  I know it well. Still there are a lot of things I know little about. I know they are there but I don't use them much. Because I have learned it over time and tried each new feature as it was released the learning curve was minimal. For those just starting out it has to be a monster of a program. Even those that have been with it a few years it must seem massive to learn fully. To some degree Sonar is deceptive. Especially with the Skylight GUI. It opens up with a fairly clean look that will catch the innocent off guard. I think that is why the forum is so popular at least in part.     

I'm not sure any one person knows it completely. Some few know most of it but most only know what they use and very little else. Yet this forum is so full of helpful folks its an amazing place to be.     

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/31 11:55:14 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    D'of! Looks like I left out "Ctrl+C to copy" after the Select by Filter step. Also, you'll want to skip Ctrl+A if you're selectively copying tracks.

That makes sense. I figured the Select by Filter might act as a copy but if it's intended only to "Select" then yeah... nothing goes to the clipboard and thus can't be pasted (which was what was happening). Kind of odd thing to wrap my head around though filtering things at the Select stage then still having to perform the copy but definitely interesting. I'm sure there are other programs out there that have this type of function but I've never really delved much into anything I don't absolutely need. Gonna try this out.

Thanks.
    Beepster
    Re: Need advice on Exporting, Importing and generally managing MIDI clips between projects 2015/07/31 11:58:44 (permalink)
    John
    This is one of the things that have me stay with Sonar. Here you have been with Sonar since X1 and there are things you haven't explored yet. To me that just says how deep Sonar is. The most likely things that a user is going to need to do are up front easy to get to and easy to understand. While the power and depth is there not far from the surface and quite accessible.  

I've been with Sonar from day one of its first release.  I know it well. Still there are a lot of things I know little about. I know they are there but I don't use them much. Because I have learned it over time and tried each new feature as it was released the learning curve was minimal. For those just starting out it has to be a monster of a program. Even those that have been with it a few years it must seem massive to learn fully. To some degree Sonar is deceptive. Especially with the Skylight GUI. It opens up with a fairly clean look that will catch the innocent off guard. I think that is why the forum is so popular at least in part.     

I'm not sure any one person knows it completely. Some few know most of it but most only know what they use and very little else. Yet this forum is so full of helpful folks its an amazing place to be.     

Well I think I'd be a lot further along with my Sonar studies this year but I lost a lot of momentum because I am actually using it for practical/professional purposes. It's no longer just an intellectual pursuit. It's starting to make me some money and putting together proper releases/educational material... which really was the whole point of me buying it and going nutballs on learning it.

Don't think I'd be nearly at that point so soon without this place.

Cakewalk Forums. Making dreams come true.

;-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1