Best method/tools for working with drum sequences?

Author
Rob Ainscough
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2015/07/28 12:05:59 (permalink)

Best method/tools for working with drum sequences?

What I typically do for my drum sequences is record layers one element at a time (i.e. kick, hat, snare, etc.) and then do a little cleanup.  I must admit, I've never been heavy into drum sequences so my knowledge is lacking ... step sequence wasn't working well for me, especially recording, found it difficult to adjust and manage (could be just lack of knowledge on how to get the most out of step sequencer).

I recall using a 3rd party tool some time ago that was very easy/intuitive at producing some dynamic and interesting drum sequences but I can't seem to recall what it was (getting old I guess).  Any hints or recommendations are welcome (bare in mind I could simply be missing out of existing Platinum functionality).

Cheers, Rob.

6 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/28 17:36:12 (permalink)
    Hi. I am not sure what you mean when saying "working with sequences". (Might be "the new" Matrix view)
    Have you tried Addictive Drums 2 (AD2) that comes with SONAR? Or Session Drummer 3 (SD3)? They have lots of MIDI content, that can be used with an array of musical styles (and with great sound). You can preview them through the Browser (B), if you select proper output (output Synth preview output to the synth you are using).
    Then just subtract, or add hits to taste. (just ask more questions if in doubt)
    Best of luck.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/29 07:44:53 (permalink)
    Toontracks EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer is another alternative - although since you already get Addictive Drums with Sonar that is a bit of a side ways move. I'd recommend digging deep into Addictive Drums and possibly expanding that.

Keep in mind when using these systems (Addictive, EZ Drummer, etc...) you can always edit (fine tune) the midi tracks after you compile your rough track. You will learn a lot about drum programming by analyzing what they do.

Like you, a lot of people don't like the step sequencer.... I like it myself, but mainly because I came from the old Roland Drum machines that programmed that very way back in the 80's. However - once I started using the Piano Roll for drum editing I've never looked back. With drums, the PR is the ultimate step sequencer if you take the time to work with it.

Good luck...

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/29 08:21:17 (permalink)

Rob Ainscough
    What I typically do for my drum sequences is record layers one element at a time (i.e. kick, hat, snare, etc.) and then do a little cleanup.  I must admit, I've never been heavy into drum sequences so my knowledge is lacking ... step sequence wasn't working well for me, especially recording, found it difficult to adjust and manage (could be just lack of knowledge on how to get the most out of step sequencer).

I recall using a 3rd party tool some time ago that was very easy/intuitive at producing some dynamic and interesting drum sequences but I can't seem to recall what it was (getting old I guess).  Any hints or recommendations are welcome (bare in mind I could simply be missing out of existing Platinum functionality).

Cheers, Rob.

I basically do what you do: build up the drums a track at a time. Normally, I start with a minimal kick/snare track that gives me a good feel for the song. I'll clean that up by recording additional beats over the top, then clean it all up in the PRV. After that, I add any fills, then hats, rides and crashes, generally in that order.

I do realize that there is midi content available, but I'd rather do all of the drums by hand. I have found that the end result sounds more natural, even though it takes a lot longer.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Rob Ainscough
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/30 14:43:44 (permalink)
    Again, more great suggestions ... I'll take a look at Piano Roll.

Cheers, Rob.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/30 23:53:43 (permalink)
    Geist.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Best method/tools for working with drum sequences? 2015/07/31 11:03:28 (permalink)
    I import Midi grooves from BFD as a starting point, then tweak them in the PRV to add fills, cymbals etc.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1