Archive Take Lane Option?

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/07/22 15:39:45 (permalink)
5 (5)

Archive Take Lane Option?

So... I do a LOT of takes and a LOT of tracks. This all culminates into a few (or one) useable comp or final take that will be used. With mountains of takes across multiple tracks this leads to some lag because Sonar is expecting me to access any one of the takes I no longer need.

Of course there are a few ways to deal with that but they can be a little time consuming. My preferred method is to clone the original track, uncheck the Clone Events box and then copy/paste the single final clip (or multiple clips) I want to use in my final. Then I archive the original track so I can access it later on. That's actually only one way I do this but whatever... doesn't matter what all my crazy schemes are. Just for those who will say "Freeze" that's no good because I want to still tweak effects and stuff. I just want the mountain of clips out of the system resources.

Thing is when you have to do this with more than a half dozen tracks it gets to be a real fart around.

I would just like to be able to do a Shift (or Ctrl) select of all the takes I no longer want armed and ready to go for playback removed from whatever thinkin' Sonar is doing WITHOUT doing my little Clone/Copy/Paste/Archive dance every time. Not even sure if lanes could be archived but I do know that when I am dealing with less take lanes active my projects work a HECKUVA lot faster.

Also this would mean that I can access those archived takes much easier and within the same track I'm mixing with than having to UNARCHIVE the original track, rooting through the lanes and copying stuff into the new track.

IDK... just dealing with a situation that made me realize this would be a sooper useful feature for me.

Thank you for your consideration.

5 Replies Related Threads

theheliosequence
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: Archive Take Lane Option? 2015/07/31 03:39:47 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I do the exact same thing. Clone and archive the full layered track... then delete all of the unused layers/clips in the un-archived track. It's ugly and a waist of time/energy/space/etc.

To take it a step further. It would be incredible to be able to not only archive layers... but to archive individual clips. Why not?
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Archive Take Lane Option? 2015/07/31 21:27:47 (permalink)
    A while back someone (could have been me ) requested the ability to hide take lanes, just like automation lanes where the envelope itself isn't gone.   I do wonder though if muting a clip also removes any overhead - if so an additional hide + mute would be good.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

theheliosequence
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: Archive Take Lane Option? 2015/07/31 22:17:28 (permalink)
    stevec
    A while back someone (could have been me ) requested the ability to hide take lanes, just like automation lanes where the envelope itself isn't gone.   I do wonder though if muting a clip also removes any overhead - if so an additional hide + mute would be good.

Although I wouldn't mind a hide feature as well... it's archiving that makes a track not use system resources. Hiding only makes it invisible.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Archive Take Lane Option? 2015/08/01 10:51:28 (permalink)
    Ah... right.   Make that Hide or Hide + Archive take lanes.    

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Archive Take Lane Option? 2015/08/01 10:58:55 (permalink)
    theheliosequence
    I do the exact same thing. Clone and archive the full layered track... then delete all of the unused layers/clips in the un-archived track. It's ugly and a waist of time/energy/space/etc.

To take it a step further. It would be incredible to be able to not only archive layers... but to archive individual clips. Why not?

Same here.  I envision something like freezing synth/midi tracks.  Bouncing/cloning followed by cleanup and archiving is fiddly.  Gimme one button like a synth track.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1