Yamaha tf1

Author
datalin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/07/31 01:40:01 (permalink)

Yamaha tf1

I'm a forum newb, so sorry if this has already been answered.   Sonar 8.5 Producer user.   I've been using a Mackie onyx mixer for inputs, and the Mackie control universal as my DAW controller.  the Mackie audio interface kept bonking on me, so I sold the mixer, so I need to buy something else.   I'm looking at the presonus 16.0.2, but then I saw the new Yamaha tf series. (with the flying faders)   In my fantasy, I could use a tf1 as an I/O and also as a DAW controller, and I could get rid of my control universal, and just have the one unit.     Does anyone know anything about the tf series....   is there any possibility of my fantasy coming true?!?   Is it even a good idea to try to combine your I/O with your controller?

3 Replies Related Threads

LunaTech
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re: Yamaha tf1 2015/07/31 12:57:40 (permalink)
    Hi ... 
    Not sure about the TF series as I did not see any midi capability or control emulation mentioned for this series. It does indicate control over ethernet but I am not convinced that this means DAW control in addition to IPAD control. With that said.. I have seen your fantasy come pretty close with my current setup(s). These consist of the A&H QU 24 and the Zed R16. The QU is closer to what you are looking for due to its motorized faders. This combined with Azslow3's Sonar tool, It controls the surface very nicely. Giving more capability than just the standard midi fanfare. From faders, volume, mutes, solo's to bank switching and buss control, it is all there. I am very happy with the setup. I have done the same with his tool for my Zed R16.. Do a search on the forum for "you can control your daw as deep as you like". I believe you will be pleasantly surprised and maybe even "fantasyfied".. 

In regard to it being a good idea.. This has been done in some form or fashion for a long time.. Digidesign, Tascam, Roland, Cakewalk and many others have combined interfaces and controllers for awhile. Even on the higher end consoles API , SSL  and Neve come to mind, this is done. So it is not uncommon.. My two pence....IHTH

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
    And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
    Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
    But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
    datalin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Yamaha tf1 2015/08/02 04:32:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Lunatech! The qu24 looks amazing. It has everything I'm looking for except a transport, which is fine because I'd rather have a smaller portable (even wireless?) transport anyhow. Upon reading all about it it looks like the qu supports midi for Mac but not PC. Seems weird. Isn't midi a separate protocol from Mac or pc? Maybe I havn't read the documentation thoroughly or there's something additional I'm not getting.
    LunaTech
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re: Yamaha tf1 2015/08/02 07:36:56 (permalink)
    Hi Datalin,

It is a pretty sweet setup especially with Azslow3's tool. So transport is not an issue as the latest update for the board included the standard midi transport in one of the releases. This allows transport functions done from either the touch screen and can be assigned to the soft keys on the board. The QU always had midi support for both PC and Mac ( you are correct, midi is midi). With that said, the Mac side had an app from A&H that gave HUI emulation to the QU. This has been resolved for Sonar via Azslow3's tool. Which allows even more functionality and control over the Mac HUI emulation when the board is used as a control surface. I am at this point very pleased with this combination. Plus if you are performing/recording live.. the board is designed for that. The studio functionality is the icing, whip cream and cherry on top. IHTH....

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
    And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
    Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
    But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1