UM-2G Midi interface won't install in Windows 10

Author
Cry Logic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2015/08/03 19:23:02 (permalink)

UM-2G Midi interface won't install in Windows 10

G'day,
I have an old Roland/Cakewalk UM-2G midi interface which has served me well over the years.
Worked flawlessly in XP and Win 7 but now I've just upgraded to Windows 10
I can't get it to install.
Has anyone else here got one of these and if so have you been able to get it running in
Windows 10?

Also, I know this is unlikely because it's an old, discontinued product…  but I'll ask anyway…
Are any plans to update the UM-2G drivers to be compatible with Windows 10?

Finally, if all else fails, can anyone else here recommend a Midi interface that's not too expensive
and will definitely work with Windows 10?

3 Replies Related Threads

Silanda
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: UM-2G Midi interface won't install in Windows 10 2015/08/03 20:25:48 (permalink)
    I feel the need to vent about this issue because it really gets up my nose. It's 100% avoidable and 100% Roland's fault. The reason that these drivers won't install is that, unlike virtually every other hardware manufacturer out there, Roland must be so paranoid about future tech support calls that they don't just specify a minimum Windows version that they will install on but a maximum version too. As far as I can tell the drivers work fine on Windows 10, but the way Roland has set them up means that Windows will just ignore them.

This can be worked around but if you aren't comfortable doing this then I suggest you leave it. This worked for me but I won't be held responsible if something goes horribly wrong. Roland Japan's site suggests that they will release Windows 10 drivers sometime.

Ok, this is what I did:
    Extract the windows 8.1 drivers somewhere. Now you should have a folder called um2g_w81d_v101 whereever you put it.
    Open that folder, and open the folders inside as follows (I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit version of window): files\64bit\files
    Inside that folder there should be a file called RDIF1094.INF
    Open it with notepad
    A little way down there will be a section that looks like this:

[Manufacturer]
    %MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.7

;[ControlFlags]
    ;ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Roland]
    ;; Windows7 - Windows XP 64
    ;; not supported

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
    ;; Windows8
    %RDID0094DeviceDesc%=RDID0094Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0106 ; UM-2G

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
    ;; not supported

Change the bolded text (it's not bold in the actual file) to this: NTamd64.15 (That 15 can be anything over 10 AFAIK).
    Save the file and close Notepad.
    Now Windows can see the drivers but you can't use them because changing that file has invalidated the driver's digital signature.
    What you'll need to do now is to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement
    To do that, follow the instructions here: (Ok, it won't let me link so do a google search for "windows 10 driver signature enforcement restart". I recommend the howtogeek.com link which should be the second one down.)
    Once you're back in Windows, the drivers will install but you will have to allow it to install an unsigned driver when the pop-up box asks you. I'd recommend installing the drivers through device manager but I guess it will work if you use Roland's install program. If you do that though, you might want to make sure that Roland's installer doesn't think that the drivers are already installed.
    Cry Logic
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: UM-2G Midi interface won't install in Windows 10 2015/08/03 22:00:22 (permalink)
    Lifesaver!

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the procedure.
    Not only did you help me to get my UM-2G working, it was also
    a great lesson in how to troubleshoot Windows 10!
    So I'm very happy now.
    Smiling from ear to ear.

Hopefully Roland will go ahead and update the driver setup so we
    don't have to do this strange little dance just get our Midi working.

Once again…Thanks heaps!
    Xhaler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: UM-2G Midi interface won't install in Windows 10 2015/08/04 19:20:32 (permalink)
    GREAT TIP!! Saved my day!!!

Thanks a lot!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1