Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good?

Author
drjenk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 187
2004/12/29 21:18:43 (permalink)

Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good?

Hello,
After years of KB/mousing and using sblive card, I'm looking into buying a front end control surface, and am seriously considering the tascam fw-1082. I'm also considering the next model up, the fw-1884, but it has more inputs that I will probably need and it's $400 more. I have only been able to find reviews online for the 1884, and they've been favorable, so I'm wondering, seeing as it's based on the 1884 functionality/hardware, if the 1082 works just as well.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit, and how does it favor in comparison to the fw-1884 (if you've used both by chance)? One thing in particular I'm wondering is if you can automate the fader movements in the 1082 the same way you can in the 1884. They both have motorized faders, but the 1884 has dedicated function buttons for write and read automation. I'm thinking that they just didn't put buttons on the 1082 to save cost, since you can assign the soft keys to this if you wish, but I see no mention of this functionality in the manual. I assume since the faders are motorized this would be the only use for the motors.

Also is there any other control surfaces with similar capabilities that anyone would recommend?

Anyway thanks for any helpful comments.

Dave
< Message edited by drjenk -- 12/29/2004 9:28:18 PM >

25 Replies Related Threads

marcoR
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 586
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/30 14:06:18 (permalink)
    There are not many reviews available yet because it’s so new but I just recommended it to a friend as a great all in one solution.
    It will support automation. The faders are 60mm where the 1884 are 100mm and it’s not expandable via FE-8.
    You get 4 mic pres that are the same as the 1884 but inserts only on 1&2. You get 10 in 4 out and 2 midi I/Os plus a board that’s serves as a monitor mixer, control surface and midi controller.

Looks like a tight little unit and I would suggest looking into it.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/30 14:31:46 (permalink)
    I noticed you can also pick up an 01X for just under a grand (don't know if that offer ends soon though)....whether that relates to offloading stock re Steinberg and Yamaha or I just hadn't looked as I went for a FW-1884
    midimal
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/30 19:39:38 (permalink)
    Got the FW-1082 today @ GuitarCenter in MIA for 799$ . Unfortunatly one motor fader wasnt working - I will get the new untit tomorrow and will report my results after some days working with it.

The only thing I could miss (in compare to FW1884) would be the surround option. As I will keep my 8 out soundcard inside my DAW (prodif from SEKD) i dont care that much about it. Same on ADAT

For me 1082 is simply more compact and I love it already (especially for 799 instead for 1299). Selling also Studiomix (a toy from the past )

Cheers
    midimal
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/30 19:49:23 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention, that I also have 1xUAD and 1xPowercore inside my DAW

Ciao...
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/31 02:26:23 (permalink)
    Yes I had also thought about the possibility of mixing surround in the future, which the 1884 will provide vs. the 1082, but then I think honestly I'm not sure if I'd ever really find the time to mix 5.1, and is that worth $400. $400 will get me a decent set of monitors. I know I will not be using all the inputs that the 1884 provides for sure, and I really only need the 2 inserts that the 1082 provides for my outboard compressor (just a home project studio). The 1082 seems like it was made for my situation, although there is still that lingering thought of "should I spend the extra on the 1884 just in case".
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/31 02:58:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bermuda

I noticed you can also pick up an 01X for just under a grand (don't know if that offer ends soon though)....whether that relates to offloading stock re Steinberg and Yamaha or I just hadn't looked as I went for a FW-1884

Ya I was looking at that unit also until I saw some very recent reviews stating problems with integrating it, frustration getting it to work. This was more than one post, and more than one said they ditched it and went with the 1884. So it's kind of out of the running in my mind now.

Thanks
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/31 03:06:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: midimal

Got the FW-1082 today @ GuitarCenter in MIA for 799$ . Unfortunatly one motor fader wasnt working - I will get the new untit tomorrow and will report my results after some days working with it.

The only thing I could miss (in compare to FW1884) would be the surround option. As I will keep my 8 out soundcard inside my DAW (prodif from SEKD) i dont care that much about it. Same on ADAT

For me 1082 is simply more compact and I love it already (especially for 799 instead for 1299). Selling also Studiomix (a toy from the past )

Cheers

Just curious, this may sound like a newb question, but what would I use the ADAT port for? What hardware would interface to this?

Also, do you think the ability to mix surround may be something that is standard in the next few years? Is it possible I may really regret not getting the 1884 for this reason? I know DVD audio is growing and coming in the future, is that always 5.1?

Thanks
    VAKeys
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/31 06:49:55 (permalink)

Just curious, this may sound like a newb question, but what would I use the ADAT port for? What hardware would interface to this?

Also, do you think the ability to mix surround may be something that is standard in the next few years? Is it possible I may really regret not getting the 1884 for this reason? I know DVD audio is growing and coming in the future, is that always 5.1?

Thanks

The ADAT port will enable you to 'digitally connect' your FW-1884 to other ADAT equipped devices. That can include most anything such as mic pres, ADAT recorders, external processors, keyboards or even a FW-1802 for example. In my studio, I use ADAT to connect an ADAT equipped keyboard to the FW-1884. It may seem like a small issue but it essentially enables you to expand the capabilities of your system. It all depends on what your current and future needs are.
    Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2004/12/31 11:15:54 (permalink)
    You can also use ADAT to connect your DAW to a second PC equipped with an ADAT card (Emu 1212M at $199; another company sells one for around $130 IIRC). The 2nd PC can run soft synths, FX etc, Gigasampler etc. (For Gigasampler, the 2nd PC needs a GSIF-compatible card; you'll also need a MIDI connection between the two). This can be a bit tricky to set up, but a lot of musicians do it.

- Jim
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/01 19:08:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Wright

You can also use ADAT to connect your DAW to a second PC equipped with an ADAT card (Emu 1212M at $199; another company sells one for around $130 IIRC). The 2nd PC can run soft synths, FX etc, Gigasampler etc. (For Gigasampler, the 2nd PC needs a GSIF-compatible card; you'll also need a MIDI connection between the two). This can be a bit tricky to set up, but a lot of musicians do it.

- Jim

If I got the 1082 and found I needed ADAT later (or surround mixing), could I not add that function card to my main PC, and integrate that with sonar as well?
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/01 21:50:21 (permalink)
    Also on my list of considerations is the digi mbox + command 8 console route. A couple cons to this route are:

I have heard people having problems with hardware compatibility issues using pro tools. I'd have to upgrade my pc to their specs, but I was going to upgrade my pc anyway, so maybe not a pure negative.

I notice the latest digi protools update does not support their 001 hardware, so it seems they've ditched a lot of customers there. I'm leary they will ditch current 002 users once the 003 hardware comes out (whenever that is). With the sonar route, I can at least be fairly sure their updates will not ditch support for past consoles. True?
    jaz@jackzucker.com
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/01 22:17:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: drjenk

Also on my list of considerations is the digi mbox + command 8 console route. A couple cons to this route are:

I have heard people having problems with hardware compatibility issues using pro tools. I'd have to upgrade my pc to their specs, but I was going to upgrade my pc anyway, so maybe not a pure negative.

I notice the latest digi protools update does not support their 001 hardware, so it seems they've ditched a lot of customers there. I'm leary they will ditch current 002 users once the 003 hardware comes out (whenever that is). With the sonar route, I can at least be fairly sure their updates will not ditch support for past consoles. True?

I don't recommend USB interfaces if you do any real-time effects monitoring.
    Jim Wright
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/01 22:44:01 (permalink)

- Jim

If I got the 1082 and found I needed ADAT later (or surround mixing), could I not add that function card to my main PC, and integrate that with sonar as well?

Yes -- if you can get everything to sync together correctly, and the drivers will run concurrently. One big advantage of an all-in-one audio interface that combines ADAT, S/PDIF, and analog I/O is that everything is both word-clocked together and simultaneously available through a common PC driver.

Reportedly, it's possible to use two or more WDM-interfaced audio cards simultaneously. (This assumes that everything is synced to a common word clock). I've never tried it; ASIO doesn't support that.

For example -- if you have an 1082, connected by Firewire with a WDM driver (assuming it exists), and you later add an ADAT card, with a WDM driver, and you're able to sync both together to a common wordclock, and the drivers are happy to coexist --- then it should work. But there are a lot of potential gotchas along the way.

By contrast, with something like the Tascam 1804 or 1882, the Emu 1820M, an RME audio interface, or a MOTU 828MkII --- you get lots of analog I/O, plus ADAT, plus S/PDIF, and it's all very likely to work together smoothly. Some products are more expandable than others; some have better drivers. YMMV.

I would never assume that separate sound cards will work together smoothly in a DAW environment, unless the makers of both products explicitly state they will, and provide good instructions to "make it so". There are just too many potential complications.

On the other hand -- it's a bad idea to overbuy; products keep getting cheaper and better. I try to use a 1-2 year time horizon when planning purchases; I've held off on something better than my Delta 66 and MBox for a while, until I have a clear need for something portable with more than two channels. I'll probably need it during 2005 -- and am glad I've waited.

Best of luck,
    Jim
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/02 00:48:52 (permalink)

On the other hand -- it's a bad idea to overbuy; products keep getting cheaper and better. I try to use a 1-2 year time horizon when planning purchases; I've held off on something better than my Delta 66 and MBox for a while, until I have a clear need for something portable with more than two channels. I'll probably need it during 2005 -- and am glad I've waited.

Jim,
    Funny you should mention, one of the products I've been thinking about also is a mbox, but I've been wondering if the protools interface is any better/worse than sonar. Since you appear to have used both sonar and protools, could you give your opinion on which you think is superior?
    I have also been considering an mbox + command8, instead of a tascam 1082 + sonar 4 update (running ver1 now), but that is roughly $500 more and not sure if it's worth it yet.
    Also, another newb question, I realize the tascam consoles have a "word clock" for synchronization, but what would the other end be connected to? If my only other interface to the PC is via firewire, would I need some sort of a card on the PC side with a word clock connection? Isn't the purpose to synchronize PC with external console for perfect time sync?

Thanks for all your input

Dave
    Jim Wright
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/03 00:10:02 (permalink)
    Dave,

I like Sonar better for almost everything. I still use Protools for live recording with the MBox, but that's mostly because I've been too lazy to install/configure Sonar 4 on my laptop for use with the MBox. The more I use S4, the less I like ProTools ... If you plan on using MIDI, with or without soft synths --- I'd take Sonar over PT anytime. I also found PT somewhat touchy to configure on my laptop (I had to disable all kinds of services and software I normally use with the laptop; I use a seriously geeky custom registry-tweaking script to switch between "normal" and "music" configurations).

Sonar 4 is massively better than Sonar 1; it sounds like that's what you're running. The MBox preamps are likely better than the Tascam preamps, but it depends on what you're doing and what you need. And, if preamp quality is really critical, you might want one or two high-quality preamp channels instead of the MBox (search the forum for "preamp" and you should turn up a lot of opinions). You'd most likely get more benefit from a 1083+ Sonar 4 combination, as opposed to MBox + command8 -- especially since the MBox just won't work with Sonar 1. Sonar 2.2 was the first version that supported MBox. I'm not sure what versions of Sonar work with the command8 -- you should check.

On word clock -- this is needed to synchronize two or more pieces of digital audio gear. (Word clock and "audio sample clock" are basically the same thing.) If you use Firewire to connect all your gear, you can use the word clock that's transmitted as part of Firewire digital audio streams. The downside is jitter -- Firewire word clock is not particularly low jitter, and this translates to smeared stereo imaging. Wordclock is also transmitted as part of an ADAT or S/PDIF digital audio stream, but again, it may not be the best-quality wordclock. "Word clock" can also be output (or input) using a dedicated cable and BNC connector. This is generally the best-quality (lowest-jitter) word clock; but that depends ultimately on the quality of the word clock generator. An ADAT output from a device with a high-quality internal word clock generator may well have a lower-jitter word clock than a BNC output from a device with a so-so word clock generator (a.k.a. internal audio sample clock).

To take advantage of a dedicated word clock signal, you need a) a device with both a high-quality internal word clock generator and a BNC output, and b) a 2nd device with a BNC word clock input.

Assume your PC is connected to the 1082 over Firewire. Since the 1082 is using its internal word clock generator, the fact that the 1082 uses Firewire to talk to your primary PC (DAW) is not a problem, even though "Firewire word clock" is not particularly low jitter. This is because moderate jitter really only affects D/A and A/D converters, and those converters (in the 1802) are driven by the 1802 word clock generator, and not by the Firewire word clock signal. The 1802 serves as the "clock master" for your system.

Now, assume you want to use a 2nd PC (maybe to run a lot of soft synths, a Gigastudio box, whatever). You still want to use the 1082 as your clock master. So, you connect the 2nd PC to the 1082, most likely over ADAT. (This requires an ADAT card for the 2nd PC, of course). If you use something like an Emu 1212M, you'll have an ADAT card plus some very nice stereo A/D and D/A. You can sync the 1212M to "external ADAT", and things should work fine. Or, you can spend about $70 for the 1212M "sync plate", which gives you BNC wordclock in and out, and connect the 1082 BNC output to the 1212M sync plate BNC wordclock input. This will sync the nice A/D and D/A in the 1212M to a lower-jitter wordclock reference. Alternatively, you could make the 1212M the clock master (assuming it's got a better-quality internal wordclock generator, as some reviews have indicated), and connect the 1212M BNC out to the 1802 BNC in (configuring the 1802 to use "external wordclock in").

I just noticed you said "perfect time sync". Wordclock has nothing to do with hours-minutes-seconds-frames time sync: it's only used to keep digital audio streams in sync (to avoid clicks, glitches, horrible sound quality). You need MTC, SMPTE or something similar to keep things in "perfect time sync" (and you also need to sync the audio clocks/word clocks between the various devices too).

Hope this helps (and is not too longwinded).

- Jim
    drjenk
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/03 02:30:34 (permalink)
    Jim,
    Not too long winded at all, I actually understood that. And infinitely helpful, thank you.

Dave
    djmoose
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/01/04 23:38:48 (permalink)
    Hey everyone...I just bought a FW-1082 along with Sonar 4 Studio. I've used Sonar 2.2 quite a bit...but never with a control surface...so I'm still messing around with trying to get it (1082) to control Sonar.

What I'm disappointed in...is that it took me 15 minutes to find the single page in the Sonar manual (p. 454) re: Control Surfaces...only to find out that it tells me to look in the online help files under "Working with External Devices". Ugh...too bad I'm at work.
    qveda
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/02/27 18:44:36 (permalink)
    Hi DJmoose,
    can you give us an update? how's it going with the Tascam FW-1082 and Sonar4 ? low latency, full functionality,any problems?

thanks
    -Qua
    djmoose
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/06/23 00:29:00 (permalink)
    Sorry about that...haven't been back here in a while. Sucks that you only seem to come to forums when you have problems!

So far, I love the 1082 and Sonar 4. Everything works perfect....

I've done a few electronic dance music projects...remixes, mash-ups, etc etc...as well as some VOs and short demos...Everything is cool....sound is great...can't complain!
    mojoblues
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/06/23 00:36:09 (permalink)
    I just bought the FW 1082 the other day and love it . It worked right away with no problems . My work flow has been much better now with this unit . ( better then Key& Mouse setup ).!!!

Mojo Mike...
    Keep The Blues Alive
    2 Firepod's
    Mackie 24 8 BUS
    3.0ghzP4, 1Meg Ram
    Sonar 4.0
    Dual 19inch nec monitors
    4 Presonus Eurekas
    2 DBX 166 XL
    Pair Event SP 8's
    myrudehand
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/09/16 02:10:38 (permalink)
    I got a FW 1082, and I'm trying to get it to work with Sonar 4. I'm using both things on a new computer I just assembled. I thought that the FW 1082 was like getting a pro sound card and a midi controller and an audio interface all in one. But there's so much latency in my set up I'm not so sure anymore.

Does the FW 1082 act like a good sound card? This is a noob question, but that's definately what I am.

Thanks!

Edit: I just read in one post here that the 1082 is "just a sound card" (I think it's more than that, but at least that answers my question above...)
    post edited by myrudehand - 2005/09/16 03:38:15
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/09/16 06:38:24 (permalink)
    It is much more! It's a Audio Interface, a Midi Interface, & a Control Surface... The Mic Pre's are quite good & it is a solid piece of gear with a very Reputable Company!

To ansewer the many inquiring minds about, "Word Clock"... It's probobly one of the Single Most Important Additions to my Studio. I bought an, "Aardsync" Word Clock Generator along with the Aardvark Word Sync Distribution Unit & by running Word Clock through my entire system, it's become infinitely more stable & reliable!! I would highly reccommend this to any & all Sonar Users! Although Aardvark went out of business sometime ago,,,, there are still many units out there for sale! ie ebay..... Wildman
    Edit: I just read in one post here that the 1082 is "just a sound card" (I think it's more than that, but at least that answers my question above...)

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    freddie_tane
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/09/16 08:03:20 (permalink)
    Just a little to add to drjenk (originator of thread).

If you envision wanting to create separate monitor mixes for more than
    one artist/performer during tracking, you probably want to go for the 1884 and
    a headphone distribution amp (I like the Behringer 4700)

The 1082 just doesn't have that capability with only it's one headphone jack and 2 Outs,
    which both have the same signal.

- FT

--
    Freddie Tane
    Tane Tunes, BMI
    www.tanetunes.com
    donald
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 424
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/09/16 08:46:48 (permalink)

Hello,
    After years of KB/mousing and using sblive card, I'm looking into buying a front end control surface, and am seriously considering the tascam fw-1082. I'm also considering the next model up, the fw-1884, but it has more inputs that I will probably need and it's $400 more. I have only been able to find reviews online for the 1884, and they've been favorable, so I'm wondering, seeing as it's based on the 1884 functionality/hardware, if the 1082 works just as well.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit, and how does it favor in comparison to the fw-1884 (if you've used both by chance)? One thing in particular I'm wondering is if you can automate the fader movements in the 1082 the same way you can in the 1884. They both have motorized faders, but the 1884 has dedicated function buttons for write and read automation. I'm thinking that they just didn't put buttons on the 1082 to save cost, since you can assign the soft keys to this if you wish, but I see no mention of this functionality in the manual. I assume since the faders are motorized this would be the only use for the motors.

Also is there any other control surfaces with similar capabilities that anyone would recommend?

Anyway thanks for any helpful comments.

Dave

Couldn't see that anyone had posted links to these reviews yet so here they are.
    FW 1082 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/tascam1082.htm
    FW 1884 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov03/articles/tascamfw1884.htm
    Maybe these articles could be of some help, if you haven't decided yet.
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    RE: Tascam FW-1082 + sonar = work good? 2005/09/16 18:47:09 (permalink)
    Bit of an old thread now I guess but there was a good review of the 1884 and 1082 in Audio Technology magazine (http://www.audiotechnology.biz).

In a recent controller comparison review, the reviewer actually though the 1082 was the best value all round.

On a personal level the one thing that stands out in comparing the two is the fader throw. 100mm definitely is much more usable than 60mm but both units have their markets.

The Mackie MCU shouldn't be overlooked either.

Cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1