Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature?

Author
kine321
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 438
2015/08/03 18:11:48 (permalink)
4.2 (5)

Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature?

This has been a thorn in my side for some years now about Sonar and overdub midi recording. Cakewalk for some unknown reason, has refused to update this relic feature of Sonar- where you have to bounce to midi clips if you want a singular midi file. If you program drums by means of midi loop recording, where you add more parts as you record... the new midi parts are merely stacked on top of each other, because Sonar has never featured overdub midi recording like EVERY DAW on the market does.

Having to bounce to clips is irritating, extra work-that's a workflow killer. This is why I rarely use the program and have no need to upgrade to any future editions. It would be nice if they added *auto bounce to clips* or a shortcut key at the very least! Better yet... a new drum machine sequencer that offers step recording as well as real-time input with a switchable piano roll/ step sequencer view. Cakewalk would get a lot more users of electronic music and other styles by implementing better midi features. Stop leaving yourselves behind the competition Cakewalk!

23 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 19:11:30 (permalink)
    I would suggest you post a feature request in the Features & Ideas forum.  Folks will read your post, and if inclined to, will vote for it.  Cakewalk does review interest expressed in new features by those votes, when they are looking at potential development items.

It may not get selected for development, but it might, and is certainly worth doing, in my opinion.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    noynekker
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 20:23:09 (permalink)
    Not sure I see this as a "workflow killer" . . . but I probably don't have the same workflow as you.
    I kind of like seeing the new bits of midi I've just recorded on top of the existing clips, and it only takes a few seconds for midi to bounce to clips (though I usually only do it for keeping it all neat and tidy) But hey, I'm all for reducing the amount of mouse clicks in my day.

I like your idea of an "auto bounce to clips" option, one checkbox to mouse click, in order to save ~100 mouse clicks.
    And you could turn it on or off . . . hmmm that's another tiny detail to remember.
    Like Bob says, post it in the Features & Ideas forum, I'll vote. . . . though if you "rarely use the program and have no need to upgrade to any future editions" . . . why bother ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 20:34:52 (permalink)
    kine321
    This has been a thorn in my side for some years now about Sonar and overdub midi recording. Cakewalk for some unknown reason, has refused to update this relic feature of Sonar- where you have to bounce to midi clips if you want a singular midi file. If you program drums by means of midi loop recording, where you add more parts as you record... the new midi parts are merely stacked on top of each other, because Sonar has never featured overdub midi recording like EVERY DAW on the market does.

Having to bounce to clips is irritating, extra work-that's a workflow killer. This is why I rarely use the program and have no need to upgrade to any future editions. It would be nice if they added *auto bounce to clips* or a shortcut key at the very least! Better yet... a new drum machine sequencer that offers step recording as well as real-time input with a switchable piano roll/ step sequencer view. Cakewalk would get a lot more users of electronic music and other styles by implementing better midi features. Stop leaving yourselves behind the competition Cakewalk!

Sort of get what you are saying but I use Geist I suggest you look into it.
    My own bugbear is when you loop and create multiple takelanes,  you don't actually see the notes being recorded in realtime in the takelane until you press stop. That's just silly.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    icontakt
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 20:46:10 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    I would suggest you post a feature request in the Features & Ideas forum. 

The request already exists...
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Auto-merge-of-Midi-when-loop-recording-m3147500.aspx

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 22:00:55 (permalink)
    I too would like "drum machine-style" MIDI programming, and have requested it. However, I've found the step sequencer is an overachiever compared to many comparable devices that are called step sequencers. Once I found out all the less obvious goodies, I found it became pretty much did what I needed to program drum parts and beats. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 22:35:38 (permalink)
    Doesn't the step sequencer already allow for real-time layering?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Spencer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 22:57:04 (permalink)
    I suggest looking into Nerve instead of waiting for cakewalk. You'll just die of old age before anything happens.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/03 23:05:45 (permalink)
    Or spend an extra $50 compared to Nerve (which is $200), and get Fxpansion Geist. Or use SONAR's step sequencer, and buy a whole lot of sushi dinners 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 05:37:15 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Any chance the Step Sequencer will see any love in the near future? I've not really found it suitable for purpose. (I would link you to the post I made where I couldn't get it to work properly but this forum software is shockingly bad for finding 'old' posts.)

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    kine321
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 06:18:51 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Anderton
    Or spend an extra $50 compared to Nerve (which is $200), and get Fxpansion Geist. Or use SONAR's step sequencer, and buy a whole lot of sushi dinners 

Thanks guys for the responses! Glad to see the feature request has been made previously, but I also filled out the recent Cakewalk surveys where I addressed the issue. I do have programs like NI's *MASCHINE* and a host of other DAWS that have midi overdubbing. I tried the step-sequencer, but It doesn't record real-time performance? I'm not a step record user at all.

Spencer is likely correct in his assessment about waiting..LOL. I would just like to use the software I bought. It's just hard for me to fire up Sonar knowing that it's the only DAW among the competition that records midi like it's audio. It's like having to constantly get up to change channels directly on a TV because you lost the remote!

Thinking about it...  Sonar is like the days before remotes- where you had to manually change channels by turning a rotary knob every single time you wanted to watch something else. Imagine your cable or satellite provider had boxes with these old rotary clickers instead of remotes. Click your way threw 200+ channels with no way to go directly to a channel... this would be Un-logical for a company to do when the competition has remotes, but Cakewalk apparently sees the logic in holding on to their old rotary clicker! Ok... rant is officially over!
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 06:50:38 (permalink)
    Now I find recording successive MIDI passes as seperate clips very useful, especially for drums and percussion. Makes shifting parts against each other or muting parts very easy.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 07:16:24 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Doesn't the step sequencer already allow for real-time layering?

Layering, yes, but for drum machine style, real time normally refers to recording a pattern as you listen to it, and hit (add or replace) notes at the right time of the beat, either with the keyboard or a drum pad. This gives a natural feeling of really playing the beat, pretty similar to regular track recording, but, upon looping and if you hit a note on top of an existing note (as sorted by the quantize setting), the new notes will replace over the old ones.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...equencer-m3250938.aspx

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    icontakt
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 07:45:50 (permalink)
    A thread like this has been more effective than official feature/bug fix requests in driving CW's decision to take action. 

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 08:24:01 (permalink)
    Even though I would not use it myself, I think an auto-bounce option would be a nice feature.

At least, it sounds like a good idea. You might find that it causes you more work, though. As it is, having separate clips for each take/overdub gives you more options, e.g. deciding to abandon or re-do a dub after the fact, auditioning multiple versions by selectively muting clips, or dragging clips into a new track to assign to a different instrument. 

But I'd have no complaints if a) it was optional and b) not the default behavior.

kine321, if you don't mind I'm going to move this thread into Feature Requests where it belongs.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 08:37:06 (permalink)
    TBO, I miss layers...for Midi.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 09:03:12 (permalink)
    The funny thing is, if you go into Piano Roll and add in MIDI events manually, it will automatically add those events to an existing nearby clip, whether you want it to or not, with no apparent control over which clip it chooses. So we get the worst of both worlds in that regard.

And yes, bring back layers. Take Lanes are the wrong metaphor for what I use overlapping clips for.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 09:44:36 (permalink)
    icontakt
    robert_e_bone
    I would suggest you post a feature request in the Features & Ideas forum. 

The request already exists...
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Auto-merge-of-Midi-when-loop-recording-m3147500.aspx

Now this has been moved to features forums for some reason , we have two threads like this. Yey that's going to work ;)

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    kine321
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 13:21:12 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Even though I would not use it myself, I think an auto-bounce option would be a nice feature.

At least, it sounds like a good idea. You might find that it causes you more work, though. As it is, having separate clips for each take/overdub gives you more options, e.g. deciding to abandon or re-do a dub after the fact, auditioning multiple versions by selectively muting clips, or dragging clips into a new track to assign to a different instrument. 

But I'd have no complaints if a) it was optional and b) not the default behavior.

kine321, if you don't mind I'm going to move this thread into Feature Requests where it belongs.

I don't mind where the post goes, It's all about exposure. As far as auto-bounce... I thought it may be easier for it to be implemented (as an option) since overdub seems to be a technical issue for them to implement. I envision several ways for auto-bounce to be used. You can have a pop-up... ask to bounce clips dialog box, or there can be auto-bounce- which would serve as a workaround for over-dubbing, or a good option of a shortcut key to do the job.

I don't mind stacked clips, but the issue is- they can easily be moved by accident in the wrong position. The other problem is making them into groove clips being stacked like that. Another good option is having auto glued clips
    where they are stacked, but stay glued in position with the option to bounce to clips with a shortcut key. Having a  *clips- take manager* would help with navigating the stacked clips for editing in the piano roll or drum editor.

There are so many ways Cakewalk can advance it's midi, without taking away familiar workflows. I've seen a number of negative comments about- PRO-TOOLS, not being a good choice for midi (attitudes may be different now) so these folks mostly used it for audio production. Although, Cakewalk has named themselves as a leading DAW, I never see them mentioned or endorsed by big name producers like the competition is. I want to see Sonar up there with Logic, Protools, Cubase and other Daws that's always mentioned. Even Reaper seems to be mentioned in the media more than Sonar. I think better midi will help propel Sonar in getting far more customers and respect.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 15:10:43 (permalink)
    It's funny because I also want the opposite. I thrum in a performance and then want to explode the notes out to separate clips (tracks) most of the time.

But yes, being able to track into a clip would be great too.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/04 21:45:14 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    kine321
    I don't mind where the post goes, It's all about exposure.

I get you.. Forum rules though are no dupes so voting does not get watered down however (the guy on the other thread will see his post disappear along with his votes). What should happen now is this post should get merged.

icontakt
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/05 20:43:02 (permalink)
    I voted for both threads. What will happen when they get merged? My votes also get merged into one? 

Tak T.

Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/05 20:44:27 (permalink)
    At this stage I doubt they will get merged!

Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Why does Cakewalk [refuse] to update highly outdated midi record feature? 2015/08/09 22:45:14 (permalink)
    Well take lanes are unsuitable for MIDI because you can't edit MIDI data in take lanes. Have you ever tried? The draw tools don't work, fit MIDI content doesn't work, the lanes have a vertical max of about 2 inches. I suppose this could all be fixed, but yes, death will come sooner. Clip layers won't be making a return.

One simple solution to the OP's complaint that I'd really like is the addition of a record option to merge new material into existing clips.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1