Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs.

Author
joeb1cannoli
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
2015/08/04 15:19:05 (permalink)

Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs.

Hi,
  I'm recording my full band this weekend. I haven't recorded a full band at once in a long time. 
  My question is, if we do multiple full takes of the same song, should I use a single project file and use the take lanes function, or is it better to do a separate project file for each take?
 We are not going play to a click track, so the takes won't line up.  I'm curious if you can "select all" in a project and ctrl,click on a take lane and have every track in the project switch to that take.
  Thanks 

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo

18 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 15:43:43 (permalink)
    If you're not using a click then really I'd just use one project, record a performance, set the timeline to after that performance and record the next performance.

So 00:00:00 = Song 1 performance 1
    00:00:04:00 = Song 1 performance 2

etc.

You could record all the songs that way.

Of course there are all sorts of fancy ways to go about this where it all appears in new take lanes and/or you set up a new project for each song or whatever but when you have the band all together, the mics hooked up all that mindf*ckery is a distraction and it's easier for mistakes to be made.

Essentially record it all into one set of tracks one take/performance at a time. Then when you are done you can do a range select and copy it all into their own projects.

If you had your own button pusher sure but if you are playing in the band... f*ck it. Just record the whole thing and sort it out later.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 15:50:51 (permalink)
    I would think it would matter more what your workflow is for editing and mixing.

If you want to use the lead guitar track from the 3rd take and the lead vocal track from the 2nd take and the drums from the 1st take, then you're much better off using 1 project and just putting everything in take lanes.

if you want to choose one project as a whole over another to do your editing and not use takes from different instruments then put them in separate projects.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 16:01:16 (permalink)
    They aren't using a click though so nothing will match up anyway. No need to record into lanes at that point. Even if he were to raid portions from other tracks (which will be off time) it's simple enough to move the clips around after.

I'm jus thinking of the chaos of a band room/live recording situation when you have an instrument strapped to you. Best, to me, get it on tape and deal with the fiddle faddle afterward. One contiguous set of tracks means all the producer has to do is hit record, hit stop. Next song, move the Now Time to after the last take, press record, press stop, and so on.

The added bonus is by doing it this way when the session is done you can just hit play while the whole band is there and listen back to each track without any futzing about. You just pop the Now Time to each track. Leads to good input from the band/discussion about what worked or what didn't, etc.

As you can maybe tell... I've done a lot of bandroom recording while actually performing in the band. It's a bugger of a sh*zball at the best of times without tweedle doodling with the intricacies of take lanes, versioning and what have you.

Setup the project and pretend like you are recording into a ghetto blaster onto cassette. Sort out the nerdy crud later.

That is how I'd do it anyway.
    joeb1cannoli
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 16:06:29 (permalink)
    Thanks guys,
      I plan on taking the best entire take from each song and using that as the foundation. 
    I'm leaning toward Beepster's idea. I'm going to be the guitarist and engineer at the same time. 
    The less I need to do between takes, the better. 
      I'm so psyched about this project. For years I've been writing guitar parts to a click and then overdubbing the other parts. I want this project to have that cool, tight, musicians feeding off each other vibe.
      It's the first time I'm running 16 tracks at a time in my home studio. There's a lot of prep time involved, but it's a labor of love. 

Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 16:26:02 (permalink)
    I've done this from behind a mics (the easiest), guitar (and a mic at the same time) and drums (total pain in the balls).

Definitely easier to just hit record, stop, hit record again, and so on.

There is a setting in Sonar you can disable (Return On Stop or whatever it's called) so you don't even have to reposition the Now Time after each take (but still double check where the track was laid).

The biggest thing to pay attention to in this scenario is the you make sure you press Stop. Don't let it run or you'll eat up your drive space. Of course check your clip meters (set your meters to hold and lock peaks and do a couple sound checks). If you see the clip light take a look at what happened (maybe someone just hit a mic and your levels are okay or you are indeed too loud... sometimes some songs/parts are louder than others so you just want to give a quick look at thos meters after each take).

To me I would set everything up the day before (mics, amps, mixers, cabling, yadda yadda) if at all possible because it is a TOTAL burnout having to do that the day of the tracking with everyone in the room THEN having to perform and watch the DAW. Also it gives the rest of the band a chance to get bored, drunk, high, whiny, etc.

Tracking day is WAY better if everyone can just walk in and play like a normal rehearsal. You as the producer will end up with the most benefits of that scheme because in my experience... no one else in the room is going to give a fart or have any sympathy because they have no clue all the crap you are trying to keep sorted throughout the process.

Jaded view perhaps but really... it can be a total frazzle of an experience and that just sucks the life (and fun) out of a performance.

Prep = fun = good recording

Cheers!

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/04 23:42:16 (permalink)
    joeb1cannoli
    Hi,
      I'm recording my full band this weekend. I haven't recorded a full band at once in a long time. 
      My question is, if we do multiple full takes of the same song, should I use a single project file and use the take lanes function, or is it better to do a separate project file for each take?
     We are not going play to a click track, so the takes won't line up.  I'm curious if you can "select all" in a project and ctrl,click on a take lane and have every track in the project switch to that take.
      Thanks 

Make a project template for your band. If you are diciplined you can make track templates for each instrument as well.

In it's current state I personally can't get my head around takelanes, I like the idea but it's not good enough yet, it's real purpose is for comping multiple takes on the same track (overdubs on one song).

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    joeb1cannoli
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 08:10:13 (permalink)
     I appreciate everyone's input. It looks like I'm going the one long project route. 
     Thanks for pointing out what a laborious day I'm gonna have. Being of Italian heritage,I'm gonna have to feed them all too. It's a good thing we love this stuff so much.   

kellerpj
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 10:19:52 (permalink)
    I do this at least once a week these days with my "mobile studio".  Here are a few suggestions:
    • Use one project for all your takes
    • Store the takes "linearly", one after another in the project
    • Use markers to delineate the start of each take
    • Use headphones to get a rough mix of your levels before you initially start
    • Arm only the tracks that you need to record before you initially start and leave them armed
    • If it's necessary to enable/disable arm (or input echo) for different takes, use groups
    • Make sure you let the band know when you are starting to record before each take
    • Make sure to let things "ring-out" before stopping after each take
    • Use a remote keyboard for starting and stopping the transport (I use a Frontier Tranzport but a remote keyboard will work too)
    • Periodically do a "Save" during the session
    Hope this helps,
    Paul
    post edited by kellerpj - 2015/08/05 10:50:14

"The thing about quotes from the internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 12:16:37 (permalink)
    I've recorded my band live many times and here's what I do. 
    I make a main folder to contain the session. 
    Make a CWP "template" for the session. I use per project and there will be a folder for each song. 
    I then "save as" re name the blank project with each song name on the list. 
    I have set them all in record ready before saving. 
    On the night of the session I open all the songs and minimize to tray. This is so I have one less thing to do later once we are rolling along. 
    Generally we don't keep takes we know suck. So we just overdub and move on. 
    But sometimes you get the concenses that "we can do that better" after a pretty good take. 
    Then if a second take is required and I have time, I will "save" the first version and then overdub it - I'll then use "save as" and add a "2" to the name. It will stay in the same folder with take 1. 
    If there isn't time I just record the new take after the first on the same tracks. No biggy either way. 
    Because we don't use a click track there's no stealing parts from different takes anyhow. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 13:39:39 (permalink)
    joeb1cannoli
     I appreciate everyone's input. It looks like I'm going the one long project route. 
     Thanks for pointing out what a laborious day I'm gonna have. Being of Italian heritage,I'm gonna have to feed them all too. It's a good thing we love this stuff so much.   

That is actually a great idea. The hardest part of recording a lot of the time is the bloody musicians and keeping them around, happy and focused.

They start getting hungry or bored or (if you have drunks/drug weirdos in the band) jonesing one (or all) of them try to scurry off to do whatever. Then you have down time, the other members start getting their own little itches, someone else wanders off and the original person who left comes back but you still can't do anything because now someone ELSE is gone. Even if it's 10-15 minutes here, there or everywhere you can lose half a day easily.

A ton of finger food, sandwiches and maybe a bigger meal later on (nothing too heavy so everyone gets burnt out wants to take a nap), a steady stream of coffee/tea/pop/juice, a fridge full of beer (but no hard stuff and no GUZZLING), a baggie of chronic for those who partake and working crapper leaves no real excuse for anyone to bail.

Really to me getting everything set up and ready to go was a huge pain because I ran other bands out of my room so I could not leave things set up. If I did all that work setting up (and then tearing down) and ended up only getting a few good tracks down because people were constantly wandering off or moaning it would really tick me off.

It's like all of a sudden everyone's a rock star and need to be pampered lest you lose them to distractions.

Me? I just needed a bag of tall boys, a full pack of smokes and I could go all day. The music was my food. If anything eating would burn me out.

I'm a spazz though.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 13:45:44 (permalink)
    Beepster
    That is actually a great idea. The hardest part of recording a lot of the time is the bloody musicians and keeping them around, happy and focused.

They start getting hungry or bored or (if you have drunks/drug weirdos in the band) jonesing one (or all) of them try to scurry off to do whatever. Then you have down time, the other members start getting their own little itches, someone else wanders off and the original person who left comes back but you still can't do anything because now someone ELSE is gone. Even if it's 10-15 minutes here, there or everywhere you can lose half a day easily.

A ton of finger food, sandwiches and maybe a bigger meal later on (nothing too heavy so everyone gets burnt out wants to take a nap), a steady stream of coffee/tea/pop/juice, a fridge full of beer (but no hard stuff and no GUZZLING), a baggie of chronic for those who partake and working crapper leaves no real excuse for anyone to bail.

Really to me getting everything set up and ready to go was a huge pain because I ran other bands out of my room so I could not leave things set up. If I did all that work setting up (and then tearing down) and ended up only getting a few good tracks down because people were constantly wandering off or moaning it would really tick me off.

It's like all of a sudden everyone's a rock star and need to be pampered lest you lose them to distractions.

Me? I just needed a bag of tall boys, a full pack of smokes and I could go all day. The music was my food. If anything eating would burn me out.

I'm a spazz though.

I feel like I could have written this myself...  This is exactly right.
    The only thing I would add is getting them to turn up on time is more or less completely impossible. If you tell them to turn up at midday, they will all start piling in around 2pm and recording will start at 3pm, that's if they haven't double booked an appointment with the dentist.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 14:19:05 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche

I feel like I could have written this myself...  This is exactly right.
    The only thing I would add is getting them to turn up on time is more or less completely impossible. If you tell them to turn up at midday, they will all start piling in around 2pm and recording will start at 3pm, that's if they haven't double booked an appointment with the dentist.

That's why on recording day I would aim for a sunday (or whenever nobody was at their jobs) and depending on the band try to "start" around 10am or as early as I could push them into. The first hour is usually totally lost to people just showing up. The next hour would be everyone mucking around, which is fine... get your coffees, shoot the pizz and I could interject little bits of stuff to individual members or the group as a whole like "I want to get this this and this done today" and sidebars like "okay so I want you to try this when I'm doing this" and maybe little small noodle sessions to work out specific parts while others were doing their own thing. Also do little mic level checks. Essentially as everyone's having a laff I'd zip around sorting things out with everyone and the gear.

Then a clap of the hands, everyone with their rig on and ready to go and you can get a good hour or so session in before everyone wants to take a break. Take 30, everyone does their nature calls, lines up a few more beverages or has a snack, more sidebars for things to be done, double check levels and back at it.

Rinse repeat until people start having to leave. Then I'd usually hang on to whoever was sticking around for as long as possible to work on other stuff for next time or do any overdubs or just hang out.

I kind of really enjoyed that life and want it again but more structured/less frantic on my end. The thing with my rooms was everything always had to be ripped down quickly, they weren't the greatest set up gear/room sound-wise, I didn't really know WTF I was doing (as far as recording stuff) and I always had to cram it in when I wasn't working (which was a LOT).

Now that I've had about five years off of all that to think, learn and calm the frack down I think I could run a really epic demo studio. That's one of my goals now. Back to what I was doing before but better and without being completely tied to daytime obligations.

Meh... may never happen but it's a nice thought.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 15:12:26 (permalink)
    It sounds to me like you guys need to hire me :p
    I show up on time and am always prepared, bring all my own gear down to good quality DIs and my own coffee and lunch.

Seriously, are these professionals we're talking about? If so I'm pretty happy with the ones I work with!
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 15:16:08 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    Seriously, are these professionals we're talking about? If so I'm pretty happy with the ones I work with!

Nope.... "rockstars" 

Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 15:18:51 (permalink)
    Oh gawd bringing back memories now...

I worked in a professional studio with a famous band who's lead singer (and the only band member left more or less) disappeared into the moors for about 5 days during recording. That was really expensive for the record company.... Still we got to play plenty of pool and snooker.

Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 15:23:07 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    It sounds to me like you guys need to hire me :p
    I show up on time and am always prepared, bring all my own gear down to good quality DIs and my own coffee and lunch.

Punkers, metalheads and various other miscreants.

I did work with semi casual "pros" near the end and it certainly made things easier but they were very busy people so I only really had access to them on occasion. Loved that particular band. Well I loved all the bands but they were, in general, the easiest to work with.

The punk stuff however really was my most important and lasting musical contribution to the world as of this writing. I wasn't even the button pusher in that act though and it was still a bear to deal with.
    Beepster
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 15:23:51 (permalink)
    And I'd totally jam with you, Sander. You're an interesting fellow.

joeb1cannoli
    Re: Best way to handle multiple takes of entire songs. 2015/08/05 21:40:17 (permalink)
     Thankfully it's my own band and we're all seasoned professionals. 
     Kinda ironic Beepster, It's scheduled for 10:00 Sunday morning. 
       I'm amazed at how time consuming it is setting up to record 16 tracks at once. It's been pretty tedious just setting up the audio interface routing.
         I have an old Furman HDS6 headphone distribution system that I'm setting up so we can have separate mixes. Anyone familiar with the Focusrite pro40 software knows how mind numbing that can be.
      Then it's off to setup a template in Sonar. I hope one of the Sonar updates includes renaming the audio interface input names. 
       The upside is, once I get it all done and save the templates, I'll never have to do it again.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. This forum is the best.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1